The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has Rhys Priestland done enough yet....

3 posters

Go down

Has Rhys Priestland done enough yet.... Empty Has Rhys Priestland done enough yet....

Post by No9 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 7:14 pm

.... to secure the Welsh No 10 jersey for Dan Biggar and give Owen Williams a ticket to South Africa.

Most agree that Rhys is a confidence player, but he has seemed to have had little or no confidence at all recently, with the poor form now being carried though to his Scarlets form.

When Llanelli stalwart, rugby legend and total gent, Phil Bennett knocks a Scarlet fly half, then something has to be looked at.

I appreciate he also criticises Biggar's performance on Judgement Day, but for him to say

BBC Sport wrote:
"Rhys Priestland is such a talent," said Bennett.
"But you've got to realise they are not kids anymore. We are talking about men who are earning good money playing for teams they want to play for and I think Rhys would be disappointed at his performance [Sunday].

"His kicking out of hand wasn't great and that simple missed conversion, two points, so vital to build up confidence.

"Really at the end of the day Rhys Priestland has got to say to himself: 'I've got to toughen up. I've got to be stronger. I want to run the game. I'm number 10. I'm the one who'll decide how the game is run.'

"I looked at him when he was subbed and he was crestfallen. He was devastated.

"Young [Steven] Shingler came on and played quite well so he knows he's got a fight on his hands and that's how it should be.

"You feel a bit sorry that the Welsh number one is pulled off and with 20 minutes to go.

"Instead of controlling the game he is on the bench."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/27105152

This has to be the final nail in Rhys' international career... bet the WRU are glad he chose to sign the Scarlets deal instead of a "central one" now...

No9

Back to top Go down

Has Rhys Priestland done enough yet.... Empty Re: Has Rhys Priestland done enough yet....

Post by TJ Tue 22 Apr 2014, 7:15 pm

I am sure he will be back. How old is he?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Has Rhys Priestland done enough yet.... Empty Re: Has Rhys Priestland done enough yet....

Post by hugo124 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 7:34 pm

TJ wrote:I am sure he will be back.  How old is he?

No, no, no...can't kick, can't pass, doesn't know what a tackle is, and makes Ben Youngs look mentally stable.
He's 27 , no...
No.

hugo124

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Apr 2014, 9:00 pm

If we had NO OTHER in form fly halves I would say give him more time, but the fact is Biggar has been more consistent these past 2 seasons and Williams looks more promising.

I do feel sorry for Priestland he was under a lot of preassure when he first started playing at 10 for Wales but he took the opportunity and flourished, but it seems he cannot handle the responsibility any more - and that's fine, not every player is that mentally strong.

Is it too late for him? Probably not, bearing in mind Ben Smith has only just emerged on the international scene at 27 and in the form of his life.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down