The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matthew Macklin v Geale

5 posters

Go down

Matthew Macklin v Geale Empty Matthew Macklin v Geale

Post by spencerclarke Tue 08 Apr 2014, 10:55 am

Evening all,

Matthew Macklin has tweeted that he is to fight Daniel Geale on the undercard of Mike Perez v Jennings on the 24th of May. Thoughts people?

Personally think its come a little late in the day for Macklin. I think he is probably a little too shop worn now.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Matthew Macklin v Geale Empty Re: Matthew Macklin v Geale

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 08 Apr 2014, 11:23 am

Well Geale isn't much of a puncher so I can't see a whitewash like GGG, but Geale may just be a bit too active for macklin

Think that if Barker can out brawl geale than macklin, a tougher stronger fighter should be able to also but we aren't sure what he has left

Shows how having a fun style can keep getting you big fights

Old macklin beats geale but I think geale is just a bit too fresh, close UD

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 08 Apr 2014, 12:48 pm

i'm still gutted we never had barker vs macklin, this might be the best way of gauging who would have won

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 08 Apr 2014, 4:08 pm

Not sure Eddy, I felt like the Barker that fought Geale was the best BArker possible, full of resolve, determination and a level head. Macklin may be a close to being finished now, think Geales team see this as a good way of getting a good win under his belt trying to catch Macklin at the right time. Macklins still very live in this fight however for me.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 09 Apr 2014, 2:38 am

i think the battering from GGG may have more people thinking macklin is closer to been shot that he actually is, the face first approach that matthew adopts was perfect for golovkin, so im not surprised he was leathered. geale is very similar to macklin but id probably say macklin hits slightly harder. i think macklin will take this one, and the fact that if he wins a rematch with sturm may be on the cards (another fight i think he wins) id be suprised if macklin doesnt come in close to his best for this fight.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 09 Apr 2014, 4:36 am

Two fighters and personalities that I really like. Archetypal last chance saloon / crossroads kind of fight. Whoever wins is well placed for another title fight, probably against Sturm. Whoever loses pretty much gives up their status as one of the premier Middleweights out there, especially if it's Macklin.

I think Macklin has his work cut out here. Their performances against Sturm were pretty comparable (I thought Macklin deserved the nod there), but since then Macklin has been on the end of a couple of painful, punishing defeats against Martinez and Golovkin and I think Geale is definitely the fresher man here.

Jamie Moore told me that he and Macklin are looking at starting fights in a more measured style from now on, as Macklin has been known to run out of gas late on in fights, but it's hard to do that against Geale because he makes you work at pace and is a volume puncher. If he lands body shots the way he did against Sturm and Barker then I think Macklin will be on seriously tired legs towards the end.

Geale can be countered and isn't too hot defensively at range, but Macklin's style doesn't really lend itself all that well to taking advantage of that and I can't see this being anything other than an in-close, exciting brawl. It'll make for a great fight but I think Geale will have a bit too much for Macklin and pull away late on. Geale by decision or maybe late, late stoppage.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down