The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Article: FIGHTING DIRTY Behind boxing's brain damage crisis by Leigh Cowart

+2
TRUSSMAN66
hazharrison
6 posters

Go down

Article: FIGHTING DIRTY Behind boxing's brain damage crisis by Leigh Cowart Empty  Article: FIGHTING DIRTY Behind boxing's brain damage crisis by Leigh Cowart

Post by hazharrison Sun 06 Apr 2014, 8:57 am

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/3/26/5447466/fighting-dirty-behind-boxings-brain-damage-crisis

"Terry Norris still gets offers to fight. Fourteen years after being denied a fight license due to a suspected brain injury, after filing for California disability benefits due to a brain injury, he still gets asked to step back into the ring. In the name of competition, entertainment, a paycheck. "If he ever boxed again, I’d leave him," Tanya Norris declares."

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Article: FIGHTING DIRTY Behind boxing's brain damage crisis by Leigh Cowart Empty Re:  Article: FIGHTING DIRTY Behind boxing's brain damage crisis by Leigh Cowart

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 06 Apr 2014, 10:11 am

More depressing is why a guy who with big purses, special appearance
Money, endorsements and sponsorship probably earned 10-15 million bucks would be needing to think about it !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Article: FIGHTING DIRTY Behind boxing's brain damage crisis by Leigh Cowart Empty Re:  Article: FIGHTING DIRTY Behind boxing's brain damage crisis by Leigh Cowart

Post by hazharrison Sun 06 Apr 2014, 11:14 am

I'm not sure he'll have cleared that much. His manager Joe Sayatovich used to take 33 1/3 of his purse (he got $500k for Leonard, $300k for Lally and $150k for Daniels -- without deductions).

Then there was King: Norris sued him (along with Sayatovich) successfully in 2003 after being left bankrupt and was awarded $7.5m.

Last edited by hazharrison on Sun 06 Apr 2014, 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 06 Apr 2014, 11:21 am

Lalonde got over a million for Leonard and that was a year and a half earlier..

WTF negotiated for this guy ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 06 Apr 2014, 12:10 pm

Seems to be be quite a few footballers from the 50's and 60's presenting with dementia illnesses in the last few years.

Its a massive problem in American football and now a developing story in the professional era of rugby.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 06 Apr 2014, 1:57 pm

I'm guessing you've played a lot of football and rugby

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 06 Apr 2014, 2:32 pm

Of course Truss, he's an expert on everything. Did you not know? Smile

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 06 Apr 2014, 2:49 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm guessing you've played a lot of football and rugby

I have but not with the heavy leather football with the lace or rugby at professional level.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 07 Apr 2014, 8:11 am

Excellent article haz, thanks for posting.

As lovers of the sport, we know the damage it causes but I think most of us turn a blind eye most of the time.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 07 Apr 2014, 8:54 am

milkyboy wrote:Excellent article haz, thanks for posting.

As lovers of the sport, we know the damage it causes but I think most of us turn a blind eye most of the time.

This is why Floyd Mayweather is the perfect example for boxers and fans of boxing.

Over 16 years in the sport, hardly any heavy blows taken to the head because he has worked hard on a defensive technique that means he is able to slip, dodge, parry and block any attacks. People lambast him for it but he won't be filing for brain damage law suits in the near future.

The science of boxing implemented in the ring takes what????

HARD WORK DEDICATION yes exactly.

Ricky Hatton and the like who are willing to take 10 to land 1 are a detrement to the sport.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 07 Apr 2014, 9:51 am

Very good onetwo. I'm no hatton fan, but it's the guys who'll take 10 to land 1 that most people want to watch. I generally prefer to watch the finer skills, but ultimately its a contact sport.

I have no beef with how mayweather fights just, occasionally, who he does or doesn't fight. Occasionally being the key word before it's picked up on.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down