The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Moffett unveils his One Wales manifesto as he bids to be elected onto WRU board

+14
Jhamer25
Welshmushroom
doctornickolas
Cardiff Dave
LondonTiger
Sin é
Notch
Jenifer McLadyboy
geoff998rugby
XR
Allty
SecretFly
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
munkian
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

David Moffett unveils his One Wales manifesto as he bids to be elected onto WRU board Empty David Moffett unveils his One Wales manifesto as he bids to be elected onto WRU board

Post by munkian Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:46 am

David Moffett unveils his One Wales manifesto as he bids to be elected onto WRU board

ormer chief executive David Moffett is unveiling his One Wales manifesto today on the road to election onto the WRU board of directors.

Moffett will reveal his grand plan to take over the role of chairman at the Castle Hotel, Neath, from 11am today.

The controversial Australian said: "I disagree with the WRU's stance on just about everything, from the way that the community game works to its relationship with the professional game," he said.

"There is a better way of doing things and if the clubs endorse my manifesto I will do all I can to represent them as independent chairman."

Our team will be in Neath with all the news from 11am. Follow it right here.

Could be interesting, the WRU needs to be more accountable and not just focus on packing the Millennium Stadium to pay off Barclays
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

David Moffett unveils his One Wales manifesto as he bids to be elected onto WRU board Empty Re: David Moffett unveils his One Wales manifesto as he bids to be elected onto WRU board

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:49 am

Why won't this guy just feic off back to his farm in NZ? What happened to his promise to sue Pickering for defamation?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

David Moffett unveils his One Wales manifesto as he bids to be elected onto WRU board Empty Re: David Moffett unveils his One Wales manifesto as he bids to be elected onto WRU board

Post by munkian Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:50 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Why won't this guy just feic off back to his farm in NZ?  What happened to his promise to sue Pickering for defamation?

Hes been trolling the WRU all week on Twitter, especially Pickering  Wink 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:57 am

Don't know the man...but from what I've been reading about him over the months, he sounds like an A-Grade self-aggrandising aeshole.

I could be wrong, but to date he's not giving me much evidence to doubt myself.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:58 am

SF you are not wrong.

He is an arrogant individual. I was going to say prat but thought better of it.

Last edited by Allty on Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Left out arrogant)

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:00 am

Some of the things he's been pointing out, if true, are shocking. The WRU having £11 Million in reserves while excellerating their debt repayment of the stadium needlessly. I wonder what the reserves are like in the other unions?

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:04 am

Has to say from what I have read the man is a total tube.

Out of the frying pan into the fire comes to mind

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:04 am

Pretty sure that the Scottish coffers run on near empty - which is a complete constraint on what actually needs to happen to our rugby  Sad 

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:05 am

So, from an RRW perspective Roger the Dodger is.. well.. Dodgy. If Moffet (Who I think started the Regions) is a to$$er also. Who is worse?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:11 am

SecretFly wrote:Don't know the man...but from what I've been reading about him over the months, he sounds like an A-Grade self-aggrandising aeshole.

From what I know, he designed the 5 regions way back when and then closed down the Celtic Warriors.

He does seem like a pr*ck but then he's less of a tory boy politician like Lewis and will hopefully shake things up a bit
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:21 am

munkian wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Don't know the man...but from what I've been reading about him over the months, he sounds like an A-Grade self-aggrandising aeshole.

From what I know, he designed the 5 regions way back when and then  closed down the Celtic Warriors.  

He does seem like a pr*ck but then he's less of a tory boy politician like Lewis and will hopefully shake things up a bit

Like I said, I don't know much about him.  But..........

So he's the one that designed the 'regions' to be all situated right next door to each other in the south of Wales?

Maybe he should have just looked at the map, looked at population density, looked at age-old club politics and come to the conclusion - as a busnessman of maximum ability (as his website seems/seemed to claim with his big proud head-shot taking up the front page)... maybe he could have come to the simple conclusion that 'regionalism' - certainly as designed by him - wouldn't work?

So, he's coming back now to fix the problem he created?  Sounds like the bankers coming back out of their self-imposed exile, with new plans to fix the world recesssion that they themselves caused.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:23 am

SecretFly wrote:
munkian wrote:

From what I know, he designed the 5 regions way back when and then  closed down the Celtic Warriors.  

Like I said, I don't know much about him.  But..........

So he's the one that designed the 'regions' to be all situated right next door to each other in the south of Wales?

Maybe he should have just looked at the map, looked at population density, looked at age-old club politics and come to the conclusion - as a busnessman of maximum ability (as his website seems/seemed to claim with his big proud head-shot taking up the front page)... maybe he could have come to the simple conclusion that 'regionalism' - certainly as designed by him - wouldn't work?

So, he's coming back now to fix the problem he created?  Sounds like the bankers coming back out of their self-imposed exile, with new plans to fix the world recesssion that they themselves caused.

Thats how I see it too...BUT...its good someone is trying to make the WRU answer a few questions and stir things up a bit
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:25 am

But if he tries to close down the Dragons I will hunt him down, gouge out his eyes and skull Frak him  Shocked 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:38 am

Moffett seems like a right kumquat to me... but somebody needs to put pressure on the WRU. I would be concerned his WRU would just be a different kind of useless though.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:42 am

I'd very much hope he's actually noticed where he went wrong and the administration after him messed up and try to change things now hes had some hindsight.

Then again I very much hope the Dragons get a competitive tight 5.... both are pipe dreams  Sad 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:43 am

munkian wrote:But if he tries to close down the Dragons I will hunt him down, gouge out his eyes and skull Frak him  Shocked 
I'll happily join you for that hunt, munk OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:48 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
munkian wrote:But if he tries to close down the Dragons I will hunt him down, gouge out his eyes and skull Frak him  Shocked 
I'll happily join you for that hunt, munk OK

Ok, but I'd need some privacy  Wink 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:50 am

gcBlues wrote:Some of the things he's been pointing out, if true, are shocking. The WRU having £11 Million in reserves while excellerating their debt repayment of the stadium needlessly. I wonder what the reserves are like in the other unions?

The IRFU have 59 million. They also don't owe any money on their Stadium.

Its prudent for organisations like the Unions to have in reserve enough to keep them going for 1 year. For example, if for some reason international matches couldn't be played (like when Foot & Mouth happened), they would go bankrupt if they didn't have that reserve to pay wages etc.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:50 am

Would any of you trust the Captain of the Concordia to handle the next crusie you might like to take in the Mediterrainean? Wink

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. I know I made a little mistake in Giglio a few years ago. But I learned my lesson. I'm not going to go so close to the rocks this time when I get as close again to the shore as possible without sinking just for the fun of it. And this time, you can be assured, I'll keep my eyes open"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:51 am

He's quite open about the fact he wanted proper regions but Cardiff/Llanelli didn't agree and threatened court action, WRU were close to being broke back then so couldn't stand against them.

He's up his own harris but i've seen more from him being vocal (and visiting many clubs along the way) than i have of Pickering in his entire tenure.

If truth be told i forgot Dai Pickering was still at the WRU!

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:57 am

Moffett did a very public campaign on Twitter asking if Pickering was still alive  Very Happy 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:59 am

lol yeah i saw that. It's true though, he's been baiting him and the WRU for the last couple of weeks and nothing has been said.

He (DM) seems to be trying to at least make an effort to connect to club rugby fans (visiting ponty for instance) and get their views which is a lot more than what DP has done.

One thing would be though if he did become Chairman, it would make Roger Lewis' position untenable.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:01 am

Sin é wrote:
gcBlues wrote:Some of the things he's been pointing out, if true, are shocking. The WRU having £11 Million in reserves while excellerating their debt repayment of the stadium needlessly. I wonder what the reserves are like in the other unions?

The IRFU have 59 million. They also don't owe any money on their Stadium.

Its prudent for organisations like the Unions to have  in reserve enough to keep them going for 1 year. For example, if for some reason international matches couldn't be played (like when Foot & Mouth happened), they would go bankrupt if they didn't have that reserve to pay wages etc.

http://www.scottishrugby.org/sites/default/files/editor/docs/agm2013-financialstatements.pdf

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:09 am

Here's his little red book

http://moffettrugby.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ONE_WALES-a_Manifesto_by_David_Moffett.pdf
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:14 am

gcBlues wrote:lol yeah i saw that. It's true though, he's been baiting him and the WRU for the last couple of weeks and nothing has been said.

He (DM) seems to be trying to at least make an effort to connect to club rugby fans (visiting ponty for instance) and get their views which is a lot more than what DP has done.

One thing would be though if he did become Chairman, it would make Roger Lewis' position untenable.

Yeah gcBlues.  But come on...when politicians do the baby kissing/visiting the village sweetshop to assess opinions on the current tense relationship between China and Japan!!!! stunt............ you'd probably rightly say "Well, there's a man seriously trying to get that Parliament seat!".

Now it might be laudable that he's doing the ground work...but so did Hitler before he got his Chancellor job..and then he promptly declared himself dictator - no more baby kissing needed for the rest of his political career. Wink Let's not always believe the baby-kissing, meeting the people's routines to be a genuine regard for the peoples or the babies.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:21 am

The perceived wisdom is that WRU care nothing about grass roots rugby.**

Whether true or not, if the junior clubs believe this, then Moffett has a chance as they are the electorate. Hence why he is visiting them. He will also remind fans that the 3 Grand Slams came about because of his re-organisation of the game in Wales, and the incumbents are risking that legacy. (World According to Moffet)

** Complete separate debate is whether the Union in any country should be governing the whole sport or concentrating on the Elite. This has been touched on in various threads, and different posters (and Mods) have different opinions.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:36 am

Don't the IRFU govern the entire sport in Ireland ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:41 am

From his presentation -

"I am happy to admit my mistakes in the past and I’m not sure we can afford five professional teams.

"But why can’t one region sustain two professional teams?

"The Premiership clubs also need the lure of Europe and the chance to become professional teams in the future. That will put pressure on the current professional teams.

"We need to sit down with the Premiership and Championship teams to identify key reforms."
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:50 am

gcBlues wrote:He's quite open about the fact he wanted proper regions but Cardiff/Llanelli didn't agree and threatened court action, WRU were close to being broke back then so couldn't stand against them.

He's up his own harris but i've seen more from him being vocal (and visiting many clubs along the way) than i have of Pickering in his entire tenure.

Anyone else threaten? I can name 2.
DM certainly did want proper regions and noticably on twitter he often refers to what we have now as pro teams rather than regions.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 28 Mar 2014, 12:18 pm

MythBusters should do an episode on Dai Moffett/Welsh rugby.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Mar 2014, 12:25 pm

If he can get a 4g pitch at Dave Parade he's worth listening to
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 28 Mar 2014, 12:32 pm

munkian wrote:If he can get a 4g pitch at Dave Parade he's worth listening to

Well he's here and he's going for Pickering's job, so I suppose we have to listen, like it or not.
And buy your own pitch, mun.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 28 Mar 2014, 1:00 pm

Moffett deflected by Rog;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26785991
Did any region take up this initial offer?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Mar 2014, 1:34 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

Well he's here and he's going for Pickering's job, so I suppose we have to listen, like it or not.

Yeah, because Kerdiff have never had a handout....
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 28 Mar 2014, 1:51 pm

munkian wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Why a 'K'? Just go with the 'C' as it makes the same sound Headscratch 

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 28 Mar 2014, 1:51 pm

munkian wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

I assume you are referring to the plastic pitch at CAP except they didn't get any cash from the WRU. Not a bean.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Mar 2014, 1:56 pm

I was referring how they managed to afford to leave Cardiff City stadium and go back to CAP AND afford a new pitch AND have the WRU buy Warbs for them
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 28 Mar 2014, 2:01 pm

munkian wrote:I was referring how they managed to afford to leave Cardiff City stadium and go back to CAP AND afford a new pitch AND have the WRU buy Warbs for them

Peter Thomas is minted big time, they were still renting CAP all the time they were at CCS and Warbs is still a Bloos player at the mo. Oh and some other bloke chucked in £400k not so long ago.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Mar 2014, 2:04 pm

How the other half live #BathoftheRabbo
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Mar 2014, 2:30 pm

Moffett is a clown, but in his favour he is an omniscient clown. He knows everything. It's true. He said so himself on Scrum V .

Just the man for the job  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Fri 28 Mar 2014, 2:33 pm

I am no fan of Moffett but his plan for regional rugby was always 1 side in North Wales and 3 in South Wales.

That is still far and away the best plan I have seen.

After much debating Moffett told the clubs to come up with a plan.

So they went away to design a horse and came back with a camel.

And these are the people that regional fans think the WRU should throw more money at.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Mar 2014, 2:43 pm

Welsh are parochial 'shocker'
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 28 Mar 2014, 4:49 pm

Oh please dont let people let this guy back into the WRU. His manifesto is a joke. Firstly does he expect to action this entire list in 2-3 years? That's historically about the length of time he has stayed in any Rugby Administration role for. Do we really need another cowboy to ride in only to vacate town once he gets bored?

Also reading his manifesto, its clear he has listed everything people want to hear but given no real details how he even intends to fix half the promises. Having listened to Polticians for a lifetime, I know not to believe manifestos in the first place. Some of his points are even in conflict with others. That said he must be a magician if he can sell the naming rights to the Millenium Stadium because I doubt after all this time there is a company who is willing to pay X amount to name a stadium that will continue to be called the Millenium Stadium for generations to come. Its not like its a new build or anything.

I have my own manifesto Moffet. If you get into the WRU, i'm boycotting welsh rugby until you leave (about 3 years from now).

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri 28 Mar 2014, 6:17 pm

Call me mad and i'm sure a fuew of you will but i don;t see the harm in giving him chanc. Yes he has got us in this current mess but as the time it wasn't a big problem (as it is now, it seemed to pay of at the time) and he did make a bug turn over. But as he said other countries have moved on and we haven't. Others aren't going o wait for us play catch up.
It's fair to say that the current system is corrupt and just isn't working. Moffett could be the breathe of fresh are we need. Anyway, something needs to change because the current board and doing a sh!te job. It's not just reflecting on international rugby bu personally living and playing in wales the level of rugby at club and youth level and gone in a massive decline. From what i have read he is a bit full of himself but the man has a plan and speaks some good sense.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 28 Mar 2014, 7:29 pm

Yeah he has a plan.  Interestingly enough despite the fact he would reduce executive salaries he made no mention if he was going to still pay himself 150K+.

Jhammer, my view is this.  If he couldn't make it work to begin with why should he get a second chance?  Half of his manifesto is incoherent rant.  Nothing has actually backed up anything he has said.  Apparently everyone (youth, clubs & regional) will be getting more money, more support without any real outline where this money is going to come from.  If that constitutes a plan I would like to echo the same sentiments as Moffet and run for the 150K a year Chairman post myself.

I'm not even going to mention the turbulent past with the New Zealand & Australian Unions (both which where unsuccessful) which led him walking from both jobs with a couple of years.  Surely Welsh Rugby needs people who are actually committed to seeing the job through.  I fail to see how Moffet makes a better candidate than any of the other representative of club rugby (who in most cases are working for free and are far more committed).

I've no problem with a change of representatives but its a professional sport so lets get people with the pedigree of business to actually run the game for us.  Moffet is the past and should stay there.  Do we really want a man who is more interested in headlines in papers and his own personal crusade to get a job than by promising unattainable gifts to get himself there.  Lets not forget how volatile he is in negotiations.  

Besides even without the above any man who stands in a room full of some of the games greats and actually classifies himself with more knowledge on rugby management than the entire room, grossly over exaggerates and to be quite frank is deeply arrogant.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 28 Mar 2014, 7:37 pm

Someone who does know more about man might be able to tell me exactly what he has been doing in recent years? I mean, what has his job been and in what part of the world and is he still in employment as he canvasses for the WRU one?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:55 pm

munkian wrote:Welsh are parochial 'shocker'

Let's embrace it. Ooh. Not allowed.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:11 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:If he couldn't make it work to begin with why should he get a second chance?

Good question and the fact you asked it speaks wonders. With hindsight though, what would you have done and what would you do today? Go for it.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 29 Mar 2014, 8:20 am

Well Dave as you pointed out hindsight is exactly that. Far to easy to call the mistakes with the knowledge of history on your side. I think we can all agree that the way regional rugby was introduced probably wasn't the best to begin with. Not to mention how dire the Pro 12 formation was in the end. It has always been my view that there should be a set of unified rules for all teams participating. For example it cant be right that Munster, Leinster & Ulster are all restricted to imports by the IRU but Connacht by contrast can field as many project players as they want. Even now when you look at sides like Connacht and Edinburgh a massive amount of players are not nationals with the aim of qualifying them for their various countries. That just gives those teams and unfair advantage even if they don't have the budgets to exploit it (although I'd point out Edinburgh have a far bigger budget than all 4 welsh regions at the moment). It cant be right that essentially Connacht could field 15 former U20 All Blacks if they could afford them.

The main issue in my eyes is for anything to work it needs stability & continuity. I believe we have some good people working at the WRU. Lewsey, Gatland, Edwards, Howley etc. I admit I think Pickering is lucky to be there still because I certainly don't see the value in his appointment but I wouldn't risk major upheaval again just to tear up half of the projects in the fire at the moment. I actually believe Lewsey can make a change youth and grass roots level rugby given the financial & staffing support to do so. For me he is a quality addition to the team.

My biggest gripe is Moffet wants to reduce staffing cost and in my eyes for Welsh Rugby to develop further we actually need more staffing (better coaching & administration) in order to help our youth develop. I don't believe in change for change's sake. The Clubs would be far wiser to head my words on continuity. Especially given the mans track record of not being able to see out any job for any length of time.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 29 Mar 2014, 12:32 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
gcBlues wrote:He's quite open about the fact he wanted proper regions but Cardiff/Llanelli didn't agree and threatened court action, WRU were close to being broke back then so couldn't stand against them.

Anyone else threaten? I can name 2.
DM certainly did want proper regions and noticably on twitter he often refers to what we have now as pro teams rather than regions.

The Scarlets were told to merge with Swansea, who were effectively bankrupt, so doing so would have forced Llanelli RFC to go the same way. In the end Swansea joined with Neath and both went bankrupt. Great for the new Ospreys franchise as unlike all of the other Regions, they started out with no depts. carried forward from their former club sides. Not great for all of the businesses, small and large who ended up losing their money when these clubs went bankrupt.

For me some new blood in the WRU is badly needed, the Dodger and Pickering have used their positions to bully the professional rugby regions into a position where they cannot function and frankly whilst Moffat is not ideal, anyone apart from Dodger or Pickering would do for me.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next