The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is certainly not a Fedal era nor Murray's stamp in it.

+8
Jahu
lags72
socal1976
HM Murdock
JuliusHMarx
hawkeye
Henman Bill
invisiblecoolers
12 posters

Go down

This is certainly not a Fedal era nor Murray's stamp in it. Empty This is certainly not a Fedal era nor Murray's stamp in it.

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 17 Mar 2014, 6:43 pm

Fedal era use to be electric among audience and fans, Fed fans critizing Nadal and Nadal fans doing it on Fed the whole forum use to be highly active with either great threads or WUM threads.The Worst part is not even Murray is attracting WUM or great threads these days.Certainly the most dullest era in terms of fan participations online to say the least.

My thread posted couple of months back is still on the top page that too given we had so many threads on and during an ATP masters event sums up the story.

Conclusion , 2011 to 2014 is a transistion era, and outside die hard Tennis fans not many are interested to debate anything let alone meaningful.  censored

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

This is certainly not a Fedal era nor Murray's stamp in it. Empty Re: This is certainly not a Fedal era nor Murray's stamp in it.

Post by Henman Bill Mon 17 Mar 2014, 7:10 pm

Once Federer wins the calendar year and golden grand slam in 2020 the whole of the first 20 years of the century will come to be thought of historically as the Federer era.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

This is certainly not a Fedal era nor Murray's stamp in it. Empty Re: This is certainly not a Fedal era nor Murray's stamp in it.

Post by hawkeye Mon 17 Mar 2014, 7:12 pm

invisiblecoolers.

Believe it or not I was just going to write something along the same lines...

606v2 has become boring and stale. Looking on the first page most of the articles are just match calls. Apart from your thread about Djokovic slipping in the race, Gerry SA's one about the end of Del Potro and legendkillars about Dimitrov and of course my attempts (including some that have been resurrected because people have nothing to say themselves  Rolling Eyes )

HM's attempt to be funny  Rolling Eyes demonstrates the sort of attitude that makes this place as dull as dishwater. There are too many people with nothing to say, incapable of making any analysis, too scared to make any sort of prediction and too scared to say anything that goes against the commonly held 606v2 view. There are too many who never or very rarely put themselves out to write anything themselves but are the first to be critical of others that do. (By this I don't mean disagreeing with an opinion but criticizing the attempts of others to start a conversation)

Two examples that IMO demonstrate the way interesting discussion is killed here was the way my ahead of the game insight into how Djokovic was affected by his loss at RG last year. Believe it or not Djokovic and the "holy grail" is now discussed by main stream journalists. I was banned here for writing about it. And my "Is Becker for chop" piece. Now this is being discussed everywhere. At the time I recieved insults for daring to even say such things.

Oh a third. HM and his attempts to be funny  Rolling Eyes

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:02 pm

Actually HE you are one of those last left out interesting poster here, I might not have had so many  arguments with your view points but the fact is always loved your posts and threads, specifically the dare to dig on Murray on a Murray fans dominated society.  Very Happy thumbsup 

No idea whether its strict policing in v2 or lack of interest in the era causing people not to post any more, I guess its a balance of both.

I don't see any die hard Fed fans any more and barring few die hard Rafa fans the department is lacking in this forum as well. Nole never had a strong set of fans and hence we are left with fe Murray fans and for the goodness or bad sake Murray is not making any news.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:05 pm

Murray fans dominated society? Very Happy  Are you sure you're talking about 606V2??

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:22 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Murray fans dominated society?  Very Happy  Are you sure you're talking about 606V2??

Yup  Very Happy , count the no. of active Murray fans to the other big 3 fans, they might still out number it. Hug 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:26 pm

I can only think of 3 die-hards - CC, danny and banbrotam. 2 for Djoko - socal and HM. Must be more than 3 Fed - Silver, BB, Jahu, LF, summerblues.
Rafa's fans have more or less disappeared though, with Lydian and H-N in absentia for unknown reasons.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:36 pm

So yet another article that elevates Federer and Nadal, chiefly by diminishing Murray and Djokovic, was your way of carrying out a public service and starting a conversation?

It may be worth pondering if your threads really get locked or criticised because their contents are so radical or whether it's more because you misjudge their tone so badly.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 9:31 pm

I think this whole thing is silly, Murdoch said it perfectly. Yet, another thread aimed at levating Federer and Nadal while diminishing Murray/Djoko and today's game. The funny thing is that the same people who call this era transitional with 2 possibly 3 all time greats in their prime are the same ones who soiled themselves when I discussed how weak the early 2000s was when we had either 1 or zero great players in their prime. Federer is going to be gone sometime soon and we all enjoyed the ride while it lasted. If some chose not to care about participating or talking about tennis after he is gone it is probably because they were never tennis fans to begin with but where just Federer fans. No harm in it you can like whatever it is you chose to like but no one in my mind is bigger than the game.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 18 Mar 2014, 1:32 am

HM Murdoch wrote:

It may be worth pondering if your threads really get locked or criticised because their contents are so radical or whether it's more because you misjudge their tone so badly.

So far no critics on this thread outside you and Socal  Very Happy , anyways critics and compliments make a thread, I wrote what I felt in my mind honestly, if you don't like it don't comment on it thumbsup , but if you have some counter arguments go ahead but plaining targeting me just for being the author of the thread states you don't like hear the other part of your hero's career.  Laugh 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 18 Mar 2014, 6:57 am

IC, nothing wrong with your thread, my comment was a response to HE who was complaining how her threads are treated.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 18 Mar 2014, 7:16 am

For what it's worth, I don't think the lack of WUM threads is anything to do with a transition era. It's because the arguments are spent.

Federer or Nadal? Depends if you put more weight on H2Hs or weeks at number 1 and slams.

Djokovic? 6 slams, 100 weeks at number 1, 17 masters, 3 WTF. Undoubtedly a top class player but not at the level of Fedal's achievements.

Murray? Yes, he can win a slam.

Weak era? I think we are all exhausted.

We can't keep going over the same ground when the passing of time has made so much of the argument redundant.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 7:40 am

Very good post HMM.

In fact almost worthy of a sticky I'd say, so that folk can read it just before starting yet another Fedal GOAT or Wee Keira thread and then ask themselves the question :
" Am I really about to say something new & substantive  ??"

I guess the problem is that those who trot out the same old tired weak era or GOAT threads do so on the theory that if they repeat a spent argument - however subjective or flawed - often enough, then it will magically gain universal acceptance.

Sadly it invariably ends up simply creating tedium rather than credibility.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 18 Mar 2014, 7:56 am

I think the big 4 fan-fantasies have been settled.

Fed - GOAT
Nadal - GOAT's son, with possibility of overtaking daddy,
Djoko - A great player, more slams to come, not in the league of Fedal
Murray - More slams to come, got his W, extra USO, not in the league of the other 3.

So whats to fight over them and post constant useless warmongering?

As others say, its been settled for next few years, at least till Nadal overtakes Feds GS number.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:17 am

HM Murdoch wrote:For what it's worth, I don't think the lack of WUM threads is anything to do with a transition era. It's because the arguments are spent.

Federer or Nadal? Depends if you put more weight on H2Hs or weeks at number 1 and slams.

Djokovic? 6 slams, 100 weeks at number 1, 17 masters, 3 WTF. Undoubtedly a top class player but not at the level of Fedal's achievements.

Murray? Yes, he can win a slam.

Weak era? I think we are all exhausted.

We can't keep going over the same ground when the passing of time has made so much of the argument redundant.

That hits the nail on the head.

I have run my own forum for almost eight years on the one subject matter and popularity and activity has dropped like a stone. All the subjects have been talked out and all ground covered and I'd say the same applies for this current era of tennis. As HM says the chief debating topics on here in recent years have been:-

Fedal debates but as that era is over then we are left with who is better but has been done to death and people realise we most probably will never get a definitive answer whoever retires with most slams as such an argument when opinion-based cannot be agreed on.In any case you need two sides to make a debate and since all of the big Nadal fans have now left you are left with nobody here to vehemently fight in Rafa's debate and so you are left with one-sided conversation that goes nowhere.

There were the many threads to ask whether Andy had it in him to win a slam but that has now been consigned to history. Some still crop up now and again such as how many slams can Andy win but it doesn't hold the same fieriness of whether he can win a slam or not.

Golden era/Weak era people are just fed up with and I feel people have agreed to disagree o like me just do not want to go over old ground on this topic.

The Djok/Murray era debate well is there one? I think there is neither a debate nor such an era and who said there was anyway?

As for ic claiming this is a Murray-friendly forum I suggest you check posters out. As Julius says there are maybe three of us who post here frequently, far far more Federer fans such as BB, Jahu, SummertimeBlues, lags and many more fringe posters, Djokovic maybe has about the same as Murray fans and sadly we have lost almost all Nadal fans here.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:28 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:I have run my own forum for almost eight years on the one subject matter and popularity and activity has dropped like a stone.

On the Buses? Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:45 am

You can never tire of 'On the Buses' !

(unlike certain 606 threads ...... Rolling Eyes )

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:23 am

IC - Take your point about nothing to match the Fedal arguments/rants/claims/counter claims.
But hey. We shouldn't be decrying posts that are calmer and we certainly should not be having a go at match threads. In some instances, the during-match stuff is the only way I can find out what's going on.
Last thing we want is people deserting the board. The more views, the better.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Mar 2014, 2:54 pm

I think it is a weak era of posters!

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 4:44 pm

Lol! I LK pretty funny. Even i am tired of weak era and fedal debates. I think Murdoch hit the nail on the head. The old debates have become redundant. And the fact is that most of us know where others stand on this well trodden field. The fact is that without new blood we all become like an old married couple that run out of things to say. Unfortunately this site has limited visibility and a limited number of regular posters it is never going to be super massive but it has its own charm.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Tue 18 Mar 2014, 4:45 pm

Have to agree with HM. Right now we're in stasis; the top players have solidified their positions and arguments, and we're still awaiting a large shift in the tennis-playing landscape. The youth aren't breaking through (yet), and there's little change at the top.

CaledonianCraig wrote:As for ic claiming this is a Murray-friendly forum I suggest you check posters out. As Julius says there are maybe three of us who post here frequently, far far more Federer fans such as BB, Jahu, SummertimeBlues, lags and many more fringe posters, Djokovic maybe has about the same as Murray fans and sadly we have lost almost all Nadal fans here.

Fortunately, almost all 'Federer fans' on here are reasonable, and quite happy to support other players too. Much the same can be said of posters (Danny, Julius, HM, etc) who have a preference for one player but are perfectly happy waving the flag for the other top guys. Just because there aren't many outright Murray supporters here doesn't mean that the forum isn't friendly towards him, and others.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Mar 2014, 5:41 pm

socal1976 wrote:Unfortunately this site has limited visibility....

Very true. It's hard to find on google without using the term '606v2' - which doesn't help to find it if you're looking for a forum to join and have yet to hear of us.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 18 Mar 2014, 5:51 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:IC, nothing wrong with your thread, my comment was a response to HE who was complaining how her threads are treated.

Hug 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 18 Mar 2014, 5:54 pm

sirfredperry wrote:IC - Take your point about nothing to match the Fedal arguments/rants/claims/counter claims.
  But hey. We shouldn't be decrying posts that are calmer and we certainly should not be having a go at match threads. In some instances, the during-match stuff is the only way I can find out what's going on.
  Last thing we want is people deserting the board. The more views, the better.

thumbsup Hug 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 18 Mar 2014, 5:54 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:I think it is a weak era of posters!

thumbsup Hug 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 6:01 pm

Silver wrote:Have to agree with HM. Right now we're in stasis; the top players have solidified their positions and arguments, and we're still awaiting a large shift in the tennis-playing landscape. The youth aren't breaking through (yet), and there's little change at the top.

CaledonianCraig wrote:As for ic claiming this is a Murray-friendly forum I suggest you check posters out. As Julius says there are maybe three of us who post here frequently, far far more Federer fans such as BB, Jahu, SummertimeBlues, lags and many more fringe posters, Djokovic maybe has about the same as Murray fans and sadly we have lost almost all Nadal fans here.

Fortunately, almost all 'Federer fans' on here are reasonable, and quite happy to support other players too. Much the same can be said of posters (Danny, Julius, HM, etc) who have a preference for one player but are perfectly happy waving the flag for the other top guys. Just because there aren't many outright Murray supporters here doesn't mean that the forum isn't friendly towards him, and others.

The quote that CC was picking up on from IC was ' the dare to dig on Murray on a Murray fans dominated society'. I don't see this as a Murray dominated society. I support him but don't post that often. A few others do but no more than Federer or Nadal supporters. Most articles involving Murray outside of actual tournament play are raised by HE and they are definitely not to praise him. No issue with that as long as she doesn't mind when she gets opposite views in return.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 18 Mar 2014, 7:47 pm

Yes thank you Calder that was the point I was making.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed 19 Mar 2014, 12:22 am

Ah, I had the wrong end of the stick, sorry chaps. Thanks for clarifying that, Calder.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down