The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fernando Vargas vs Saul "Canelo" Alvarez

+6
milkyboy
Hammersmith harrier
hazharrison
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
Rodney
10 posters

Go down

Fernando Vargas vs Saul "Canelo" Alvarez Empty Fernando Vargas vs Saul "Canelo" Alvarez

Post by Rodney Thu 06 Mar 2014, 8:59 am

Inspired by Haz's thread, how do you see a Mexican sizzler between the two upstarts going ? You could say both young fighters were fast tracked into super matches with Trinidad and Mayweather respectively. Vargas had the tougher graduation and more grounded wins mind you.

Let's say it's the Vargas eve of the Trinidad and Canelo eve of Mayweather to gain clarity how does this one pan out ?

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Fernando Vargas vs Saul "Canelo" Alvarez Empty Re: Fernando Vargas vs Saul "Canelo" Alvarez

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 9:38 am

Nice match up, Rodney. Vargas by UD for me, just the better all-round boxer of the pair and not as prone to taking breathers for certain periods of a fight the way Alvarez is.

I don't think Canelo has any chance of outboxing Vargas, and if they get in to a slug fest Vargas has the heavier hands and arguably the better chin, too. Vargas eventually got worn down by Trinidad (and later De la Hoya) but they had to throw the kitchen sink at him to eventually get him out of there, and Alvarez just doesn't have the arsenal they did.

Come to think of it, I don't totally rule out a stoppage for Vargas. But more often than not I think Fernando just saps Alvarez's confidence and forces him to mentally check out of the fight, going through the motions late on as he loses the verdict, similar to what happened against Mayweather.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Fernando Vargas vs Saul "Canelo" Alvarez Empty Re: Fernando Vargas vs Saul "Canelo" Alvarez

Post by Rodney Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:15 am

Yeah agree with that assessment Chris , I'd probably say Vargas would possibly stop him. Although Fernando wasn't particular fast or explosive, he had very heavy hands and was a tough night for anyone. Vargas a little more talented and possibly tougher , late TKO Vargas for me.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:22 am

You guys over rate Vargas boxing skill............Quartey was coming off the loss to Oscar and Winky-Stinky was his only other stand out win for me......

There to be hit...........Slapped off Trinidad and Oscar.......and Mosley played with him.....

Hardly a ringing endorsement for him to cream a once beaten Alvarez.......

Alvarez can be outboxed but not by this guy..

I think it would be a war rather than a chess match...and Alvarez wears him down in 11..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:26 am

Vargas would box his head off (the version pre-Trinidad). Alvarez still has a lot to prove.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:32 am

Like he boxed Oscar's head off..........Complete mismatch..

You don't rate Oscar ...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:45 am

The first Mosley fight was too and fro until his eye exploded, the second fight he looked a shell and was torn to shreds. Vargas was the perfect example of a fighter doing too much too soon but having to lose so much weight for every fight he didn't have much choice.

Too early to say regarding Alvarez, we still don't know how good he is.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:50 am

But what we do know is//

"We should all get behind GGG because he is a real fighter!!" (GGG vs Andy Lee thread)

"Alvarez still has much to prove!!" .....From the same guy...

Interesting logic..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:53 am

He was worn down by trinidad and de la Hoya and the first Mosley fight was wafer thin at the time of the stoppage.

I don't think we know canelo's true level yet, so it's not a straight forward call. On the eye test, I prefer Vargas as a fighter and would err to him. Ultimately he did get stopped late on by the best fighters he fought, so you can't rule out Alvarez wearing him down too.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:00 am

It's true we don't know Canelos level , however if the match was made at a similar parallel to one another's career, I'd say Vargas was the more equipped and more talented. Vargas received a gift decision against Winky from what I can remember, however you'd favour Wright & Quartey heavily over Canelo at this point.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:06 am

Styles make fights don't they Rod..

Last time I looked Vargas and Canelo didn't have the same style.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:10 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Styles make fights don't they Rod..

I guess that's a killer attempting to debate fantasy matchups then.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:13 am

Vargas to win with something to spare.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:21 am

Rodney wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Styles make fights don't they Rod..

I guess that's a killer attempting to debate fantasy matchups then.

Cheers Rodders

No that's you being silly..and sensitive.

Believe it or not Mate ..Most people thought Tucker had a better chance of beating Tyson than Douglas did.....Hence the odds..

Your point was meaningless...Styles make fights..Who is to say If winky struggles more with canelo's style....Winky was favorite for Vargas..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:25 am

The winky fight was close I thought rodders. Wright was unlucky but not a robbery. Even allowing for that, along with quartey, its vargas' best performance.

Styles aside, you don't have a razor thin fight with winky without being useful. Wouldn't fancy Canelo against wright personally. But for durability reasons I wouldn't write off Alvarez against Vargas.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:27 am

You don't hate anybody that fights these days.....That's the difference !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:28 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Like he boxed Oscar's head off..........Complete mismatch..

You don't rate Oscar ...

Vargas, even the shopworn version that Oscar faced, still had enough in the tank to push Oscar hard (especially early) and De la Hoya was a far more proven performer than Alvarez, who's mainly feasted on undersized and over the hill opposition (Trout notwithstanding).

From what I've seen of Canelo, the version of Vargas that edged Wright and Quartey would have been too much for Alvarez.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:28 am

Is about as meaningless as you blathering on about a 170lb Conn rocking Louis, when discussing fantasy matchups Truss. The point is Vargas had handled tougher foes than Alvarez that isn't up for debate, styles make fights and id favour Vargas on form and style.
Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:30 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:But what we do know is//

"We should all get behind GGG because he is a real fighter!!" (GGG vs Andy Lee thread)

"Alvarez still has much to prove!!" .....From the same guy...

Interesting logic..

In my opinion GGG is the absolute goods (an opinion I don't hold with regard to Alvarez). Golovkin also has much to prove (which I'm sure I stated in the thread).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:39 am

I think I've only seen the fight once Milky , many moons ago, at the time I thought Winky won it , but memory is to hazed to plump by what margin. I'm happy to go along with that mate , might add that to the list to watch again.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:39 am

Vargas fought all the best light middleweights of his time and other than at the very end of his career he gave a pretty good account of himself whether he won or lost. Alvarez has basically had two proper championship quality fights. A narrow win against Trout where many felt he lost and he was then hopeless against Mayweather. Theres no shame in losing to Mayweather but that doesnt disguise that Alvaez was just plain poor in the fight. A past it de la Hoya and Cotto put in much better efforts. From what I have seen of Alvarez I think he would be out of his depth amongst the light middleweight scene Vargas fought in.

Last edited by catchweight on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:40 am

The Angulo fight is a step in the right direction, he gives everybody trouble but almost always falls short, the manner he's dealt with will tell us a lot.

Vargas was hyped to the hills when he first came on the scene but his career did dive bomb fairly quickly. No shame in losing to three greats but does show that he wasn't quite of the highest quality. Alvarez could follow the same path but he looks a tad better defensively so could surprise a few.

Will agree that Vargas looked better earlier in his career but we do know his level, getting outclassed by Mayweather tells us nothing.

Gun to my head Vargas by unanimous decision but wouldn't be plain sailing.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:46 am

Trinidad absolutely wrecked Vargas, hence the dive bombing.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:46 am

Whilst losing to Mayweather is no shame the manner of defeat may tell us something , as brilliant as Mayweather is Canelo was deplorable that night and looked as though he was carrying two anchors in his boots. Vargas would've gave Mayweather a much more uncomfortable evening pushing him all the way , Canelo seemed content not getting stopped, his lack of passion was disturbing.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:58 am

Rodney wrote:Whilst losing to Mayweather is no shame the manner of defeat may tell us something , as brilliant as Mayweather is Canelo was deplorable that night and looked as though he was carrying two anchors in his boots. Vargas would've gave Mayweather a much more uncomfortable evening pushing him all the way , Canelo seemed content not getting stopped, his lack of passion was disturbing.

Cheers Rodders

He was woeful. I turned it off after seven rounds -- awful to watch.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 06 Mar 2014, 12:10 pm

Yep. If a past it de la Hoya and Cotto could give Mayweather much tougher light middleweight fights it doesnt bode well for Alvarez if he had to deal with the kind of competition Vargas had. He just doesnt look in that league.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 12:13 pm

Didn't bode well for Starling against Honey...Losing twice to Curry when Honeyghan punched Curry out !!

Good point !! thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 06 Mar 2014, 12:19 pm

You are right TRUSSMAN, I was sleeping in class again. Alvarez KOs Every light middleweight in history apart from Mayweather. What page are we on again??

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Mar 2014, 12:22 pm

catchweight wrote:You are right TRUSSMAN, I was sleeping in class again. Alvarez KOs Every light middleweight in history apart from Mayweather. What page are we on again??

Laugh

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 1:17 pm

hazharrison wrote:
catchweight wrote:You are right TRUSSMAN, I was sleeping in class again. Alvarez KOs Every light middleweight in history apart from Mayweather. What page are we on again??

Laugh

laughing 

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 1:22 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Laugh

laughing 

This is what happens when you win a debate......

I expect better from Catchy and Haz.........If not from this pathetic waste..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 1:26 pm

I'm not feeling loved......

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 1:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Laugh

laughing 

This is what happens when you win a debate......

I expect better from Catchy and Haz.........If not from this pathetic waste..

And what debate would that be?? The one where you just randomly chose something wouldn't/didn't count? Or the one where you lied about polling statistics and had to run away with your tail between your legs after getting PROVEN wrong again and again and again......

We all know you're getting your knickers in a twist on this thread because there is a remote suggestion that a Floyd victim you bigged up wasn't anything special (like almost every other opponent you've bigged up).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 1:39 pm

This foe button really does get rid of cheap little stalkers..... thumbsup 

Great invention..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 06 Mar 2014, 2:09 pm

hazharrison wrote:Trinidad absolutely wrecked Vargas, hence the dive bombing.

How differently it might have been if he hadn't slammed him in the gooseberries (again) and bought a bit of recovery time after the knock down in the fourth eh Wink 

Seriously take away the first 30 seconds and the Tito fight wasn't that removed from the Oscar fight. Even coming back from his back injury he was tooth and nail with Mosley for 10 rounds, several years later.

Not sure Tito wrecked him, think he just didn't have the stamina to go 12 rounds with top quality opposition. Had the skills though... Boxed Trinidad's ears off in a couple of those mid rounds.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Mar 2014, 2:44 pm

milkyboy wrote:
hazharrison wrote:Trinidad absolutely wrecked Vargas, hence the dive bombing.

How differently it might have been if he hadn't slammed him in the gooseberries (again) and bought a bit of recovery time after the knock down in the fourth eh Wink 

Seriously take away the first 30 seconds and the Tito fight wasn't that removed from the Oscar fight. Even coming back from his back injury he was tooth and nail with Mosley for 10 rounds, several years later.

Not sure Tito wrecked him, think he just didn't have the stamina to go 12 rounds with top quality opposition. Had the skills though... Boxed Trinidad's ears off in a couple of those mid rounds.

Vargas had a little assistance in the Oscar fight (tested positive for steroids). Despite that he was never the same post-Trinidad. Ditto David Reid, both of whom jumped straight into world class and probably paid the price.

You're right about the knacker shots, though. Vargas was well on top at that point.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 06 Mar 2014, 2:52 pm

... Not like tino didn't have a bit of pop in that left hook. Makes your eyes water thinking about it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 06 Mar 2014, 3:05 pm

I don't think we've seen enough of Canelo yet to make a proper judgement. He has one good win against Trout and one overmatched loss to Floyd. No shame in losing to Floyd, and, seemingly unlike many others, I saw a number of good points (amongst the parts he was made too look bad) in Canelo that night e.g. he's actually a decent defensive boxer. His offense was taken away from him that night, but we know he can punch and with decent variety.

This question will be easier to answer after he fights Angulo.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Thu 06 Mar 2014, 3:17 pm

Wait for this weekend to judge canelos staminas issues etc will be a good fight on Saturday, and one that will tell us a lot about him

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down