The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Top 10 Premier League Goal Keepers Ever.

+14
Dolphin Ziggler
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Born Slippy
westisbest
CFCNick
Stella
lfc91
Crimey
Hero
Crazy About EPL
compelling and rich
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
hampo17
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Top 10 Premier League Goal Keepers Ever. - Page 2 Empty The Top 10 Premier League Goal Keepers Ever.

Post by hampo17 Sun 16 Feb 2014, 1:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

Our newest football writer, Somsubhro Chatterjee has taken a look at who he thinks are the best 10 goalkeepers in Premier League history. Normally I would paste the article over, however he has included a few videos, so head over to the journal and cast your vote thumbsup

http://v2journal.com/22/post/2014/02/top-10-premier-league-goalkeepers-of-all-time.html

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Top 10 Premier League Goal Keepers Ever. - Page 2 Empty Re: The Top 10 Premier League Goal Keepers Ever.

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:20 pm

I think in this specific argument and the actual case, Reina playing for Liverpool doesnt matter. Especially with the singularity of the position. I think Jaaskelainen has given more top quality performances both on average per season and overall in his position.

I wouldnt even use having seen him in my argument, its the sheer longevity of it. Hes been one of the better keepers in the league for about double the time Reina was any good.

Overall, Reina is the better goalkeeper. But his impact on the league is not that of Jaaskelainen's. I wouldn't even say Reina was in the top 5 just on peak performance levels, so his impact is certainly reduced.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

The Top 10 Premier League Goal Keepers Ever. - Page 2 Empty Re: The Top 10 Premier League Goal Keepers Ever.

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:44 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:However, that Bosnich mistake outlines how precarious transfers and judgments can be. Howard would be seen as a bad Man United transfer, yet hindsight has helped us see hes a very good 'keeper. Bosnich was a mistake.

Schwarzer only got his move come the end of his career, James never made it big, Martyn was always the bridesmaid, Given and Friedel outside the major competitors.

Reina has nowhere near enough longevity. Jaaskelainen made the most saves in the league last year. Now, your argument will be West Ham let their opponents have a lot of shots. And I would argue two things:

1) Reina kept more clean sheets due to being in a better side.
2) Jaaskelainen did his most basic job principle exceedingly well for his team.

Reina saved 71% of shots he faced last year. JJ 77%.

Who do I think, in his career, has been more vital to their team? Jussi at Bolton then West Ham for a lot longer or Reina at Liverpool? My answer is quite clear from my list.

Dolph you got a scoure for these statistics? Would like to do a bit of research meself.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:46 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I think in this specific argument and the actual case, Reina playing for Liverpool doesnt matter. Especially with the singularity of the position. I think Jaaskelainen has given more top quality performances both on average per season and overall in his position.

I wouldnt even use having seen him in my argument, its the sheer longevity of it. Hes been one of the better keepers in the league for about double the time Reina was any good.

Overall, Reina is the better goalkeeper. But his impact on the league is not that of Jaaskelainen's. I wouldn't even say Reina was in the top 5 just on peak performance levels, so his impact is certainly reduced.

How many assists did Jussi get? What was his pass completion %? How many key passes did he make? Catches, pen saves, one on ones?

Riena was by far a better all round goal keeper then Jussi.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:47 pm

Twas a rough, wordpress article as I couldnt find the exact thing I was looking for as I already knew Jussi was top on saves from good old Fantasy Football last year  Very Happy 

http://statsbettor.wordpress.com/2013/07/11/the-best-goalkeeper-in-the-premier-league/

Interesting read if a little wayward.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:48 pm

Assists I wont really care for. Distribution with goalkeepers is such a spurious stat.

Again, I think Reina was a better goalkeeper at peak. But he made a lot of mistakes even when he was good, and his levels of performances were not anywhere near as sustained.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 18 Feb 2014, 1:04 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Assists I wont really care for. Distribution with goalkeepers is such a spurious stat.

Again, I think Reina was a better goalkeeper at peak. But he made a lot of mistakes even when he was good, and his levels of performances were not anywhere near as sustained.

Whoa Distribution is a vital part of being a goalkeeper. The amount of counter attacks Pepe use to start and even assist was paramount to how Liverpool played. Thats why Mignolet annoys the hell out of me, good shot stopper, awful distribution.

Everyone makes mistakes Dolp, Rienas probably more highlighted due to being at a bigger club. I can remeber Jussi saving a shot from Gerrard that was goin wide and it ended up in the back of the net. Does that count as a shot saved? Laugh

Its like P4P boxing lists, people have there own reasons for my boxers are there, could longevity or could be that particular boxer has just hit form.

Mine is based on a little bit of both, but mostly ability wise.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 18 Feb 2014, 1:28 pm

Oh, distribution is huge, its just the stats are so bad at backing up distribution. A completed pass could be a whack at Kevin Davies' head. Jussi's distribution definitely isnt good.

But it also doesnt really give credence to managerial style etc. You could probably say Jussi dropping it and booting it was key to how well Kevin Davies elbowed people.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 18 Feb 2014, 1:55 pm

I think you're all forgetting the Premier League's truly greatest goalkeeper......Neil Sullivan.

No? Just me then.

In all seriousness, I present my top ten list. Please feel free to laugh, point and forever ridicule.

1 - Peter Schmeichel
2 - David Seaman
3 - Edwin Van Der Sar
4 - Petr Cech
5 - David James
6 - Shay Given
7 - Nigel Martyn
8 - Jussi Jaaskelainen
9 - Jens Lehmann
10 - Brad Friedel

Would have liked to have put Carlo Cudicini in there somewhere as he was a grossly under-used goalkeeper, however he didn't play often enough to warrant a place.

Last edited by The Womble on Tue 18 Feb 2014, 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar problems, as always)
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 18 Feb 2014, 2:19 pm

Here's a punt at my top ten, but I'm nowhere near 100% sure:

1) Seaman
2) Schmeichel
3) Cech
4) Van Der Sar
5) Given
6) James
7) Reina
8) JJ
9) Friedel
10) Martyn

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 18 Feb 2014, 2:31 pm

Stella wrote:Stats and goalkeepers go together like marmite and beetroot. Also, IMO, playing for a top 6 club for a number of years counts for something. Being number one at Bolton and West Ham, isn't quite the same.

I do though respect the fact that you've seen JJ more than me (telly only).

bolton finished in the top six with JJ being in the sticks, in there peak under alladyce more often than not always finished up in the top 8 so not sure about that argument

id argue that helping a team like bolton finish in the top 6 is more than a achievement than helping Liverpool to top 4

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 18 Feb 2014, 2:36 pm

The Womble wrote:I think you're all forgetting the Premier League's truly greatest goalkeeper......Neil Sullivan.

No? Just me then.

In all seriousness, I present my top ten list. Please feel free to laugh, point and forever ridicule.

1 - Peter Schmeichel
2 - David Seaman
3 - Edwin Van Der Sar
4 - Petr Cech
5 - David James
6 - Shay Given
7 - Nigel Martyn
8 - Jussi Jaaskelainen
9 - Jens Lehmann
10 - Brad Friedel

Would have liked to have put Carlo Cudicini in there somewhere as he was a grossly under-used goalkeeper, however he didn't play often enough to warrant a place.

lehmann?! really? always thought he was a accident waiting to happen. absolute loon, up there with barthez for not knowing what the hell he was going to do next. not the best trait in a keeper

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 18 Feb 2014, 2:37 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
Stella wrote:Stats and goalkeepers go together like marmite and beetroot. Also, IMO, playing for a top 6 club for a number of years counts for something. Being number one at Bolton and West Ham, isn't quite the same.

bolton finished in the top six with JJ being in the sticks, in there peak under alladyce more often than not always finished up in the top 8 so not sure about that argument

Not a regular top six side like Liverpool, Utd etc though were they. They eventually found their true place. Bolton done well under Sam, and in parts thanks to JJ, but so have a few other teams that have come up from league one/the championship. Sounds like I don't like JJ, which is untrue, just think their are/were 10 better keepers during the EPL era.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 18 Feb 2014, 2:40 pm

id argue that helping a team like bolton finish in the top 6 is more than a achievement than helping Liverpool to top 4

Give it a rest now. Maybe Man U should have signed him in Jan and you could be in the league cup final pushing for the top 4 now Laugh

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 18 Feb 2014, 2:44 pm

The Womble wrote:I think you're all forgetting the Premier League's truly greatest goalkeeper......Neil Sullivan.

No? Just me then.

1 - Peter Schmeichel
2 - David Seaman
3 - Edwin Van Der Sar
4 - Petr Cech
5 - David James
6 - Shay Given
7 - Nigel Martyn
8 - Jussi Jaaskelainen
9 - Jens Lehmann
10 - Brad Friedel

lehmann?! really? always thought he was a accident waiting to happen. absolute loon, up there with barthez for not knowing what the hell he was going to do next. not the best trait in a keeper

I liked Lehmann a lot, I thought he was a very good goalkeeper. I quite liked that unpredictability.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 18 Feb 2014, 2:48 pm

To throw another spanner in the works, I'm not sure Reina is even top 10 if we talk about keepers at their peak  Shocked 

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 18 Feb 2014, 2:50 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:To throw another spanner in the works, I'm not sure Reina is even top 10 if we talk about keepers at their peak  Shocked 

Dont bite Dolph, your not a Man U fan are you>?!?!?! Laugh

In YOUR opinion thumbsup

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 18 Feb 2014, 2:58 pm

Reina for me while a very good keeper, was to error prone to be considered great. The video in the article highlights so fantastic saves, however when ever Reina is discussed I always think about the own goal against Arsenal on the opening day of the season.

Howlers like that can't be ignored sadly, and he falls down the list for me because of them.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 18 Feb 2014, 3:00 pm

Not biting, I promise, the last goalkeeper we had at peak was Rob Green and no one ever paid attention to him being good anyway!

I just honestly was never a big Reina fan. Majestic to mistake in .5 seconds.

In MY opinion  OK 

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 18 Feb 2014, 3:06 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Not biting, I promise, the last goalkeeper we had at peak was Rob Green and no one ever paid attention to him being good anyway!

I just honestly was never a big Reina fan. Majestic to mistake in .5 seconds.

In MY opinion  OK 

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh 

We'll agree to disagree  OK 

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 18 Feb 2014, 3:10 pm

hampo171 wrote:Reina for me while a very good keeper, was to error prone to be considered great. The video in the article highlights so fantastic saves, however when ever Reina is discussed I always think about the own goal against Arsenal on the opening day of the season.

Howlers like that can't be ignored sadly, and he falls down the list for me because of them.

Riena did make a few faux paus towards the end, but from probably watching most games he played in for Liverpool, a few errors take a side note to the amount of good saves, assists, key passes and overall contribution to the club.

I've got James in at number 10 and he wasnt called 'Clamity' for no reason.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 18 Feb 2014, 3:44 pm

If David Luiz plays like hes controlled by someone on a playstation, its David James staying up all night on FIFA playing as him.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 18 Feb 2014, 6:34 pm

Real shame that in 20 years there are so few genuinely world class goal keepers to have played their trade in the pl.

Below schmeichael, seaman, vds and Cech there isn't a lot to choose from.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazy About EPL Wed 19 Feb 2014, 6:55 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:However, that Bosnich mistake outlines how precarious transfers and judgments can be. Howard would be seen as a bad Man United transfer, yet hindsight has helped us see hes a very good 'keeper. Bosnich was a mistake.

Schwarzer only got his move come the end of his career, James never made it big, Martyn was always the bridesmaid, Given and Friedel outside the major competitors.

Reina has nowhere near enough longevity. Jaaskelainen made the most saves in the league last year. Now, your argument will be West Ham let their opponents have a lot of shots. And I would argue two things:

Who do I think, in his career, has been more vital to their team? Jussi at Bolton then West Ham for a lot longer or Reina at Liverpool? My answer is quite clear from my list.
This is also one of the reasons why I chose JJ over Reina. Reina's a damn good keeper, no doubt. But JJ was a vital part of the team. Without him Bolton would have been relegated long before they actually did.
My list is not based on performances only during the peak. I have also taken each keeper's importance to the team, their impact on the team's performance as a whole. For example, Chelsea without Cech in the 2004-05 season still would have won the title, but not with 95 pts. Chelsea conceded 15 goals that season. Also, in the 8 seasons completed since then, Chelsea had the best GA 5 times- 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07,2008-09 and 2010-11. They had the 2nd best GA 2 times- 2007-08, 2009-10(when they also scored a record 103 goals) And the blues look like having the best GA this season too, but hey..there are still 12 games to go. And I do think I should have put Cech higher up. But Reina shouldn't have been in the list. I mean, if he's that good a keeper, Rodgers wouldn't have loaned him away...

Crazy About EPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazy About EPL Wed 19 Feb 2014, 7:01 am

Ent wrote:Real shame that in 20 years there are so few genuinely world class goal keepers to have played their trade in the pl.

Below schmeichael, seaman, vds and Cech there isn't a lot to choose from.
Indeed. But things could change..We've got some good young keepers in Szczesny, Hart, Mignolet.. But personally, I am waiting for Courtois to arrive..I really expect things from him that only Peter Schmeichel could do. Jose sees him as a successor to Cech. I see him as a successor to Kahn, Schmeichel, Buffon and Casillas..

Crazy About EPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 19 Feb 2014, 7:26 am

Crazy About EPL wrote:

This is also one of the reasons why I chose JJ over Reina. Reina's a damn good keeper, no doubt. But JJ was a vital part of the team. Without him Bolton would have been relegated long before they actually did.
My list is not based on performances only during the peak. I have also taken each keeper's importance to the team, their impact on the team's performance as a whole. For example, Chelsea without Cech in the 2004-05 season still would have won the title, but not with 95 pts. Chelsea conceded 15 goals that season. Also, in the 8 seasons completed since then, Chelsea had the best GA 5 times- 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07,2008-09 and 2010-11. They had the 2nd best GA 2 times- 2007-08, 2009-10(when they also scored a record 103 goals) And the blues look like having the best GA this season too, but hey..there are still 12 games to go. And I do think I should have put Cech higher up. But Reina shouldn't have been in the list. I mean, if he's that good a keeper, Rodgers wouldn't have loaned him away...

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh 

In the words of Judge Judy 'Thats baloney sir, baloney!'

Do you really want me to post a link to where your 'Top 10' came from...........really?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 19 Feb 2014, 7:40 am

Crazy About EPL wrote:

We had the best goal difference in 09-10. We only let in 32 goals.

And Reina is class. You need to reassess the list with better research.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 19 Feb 2014, 8:05 am

Welcome to the board Crazy about EPL.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 19 Feb 2014, 8:11 am

Anyway Bozzie was better than Reina & JJ. Wink 

Good to see a few ex Villa keeperes on the lists.
I include Given in that, as i'm sure he will never play for us.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazy About EPL Wed 19 Feb 2014, 8:21 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
hampo171 wrote:SoF instead of calling someone else's list "kac" why not add your own?

Can I do both?

Crazy About EPL wrote:As I have mentioned in my earlier reply, I am new to this. I have joined this forum for suggestions from experienced guys like you. And thanks for pointing out that blunder!
Well, that's my opinion. You can expect articles from me that are a lot better in the coming months. Have you had a look at my other atricles? They're "kac" too?
Honestly, I have no idea what "kac" means, but I take it as a suggestion and hope that my future posts won't get such adjectives associated with them.

Thanks again!

Is means your Top 10 isnt very good. But your only 19 and have not experience the Prem since its inception and probably had got your ideas from other lists so ill give to a pass. But Jussi at number 3!!! Doh

Your Vidic article is like something I have read off 'Caughtoffside.com'.

Your Mata article is a little better but take it your a United fan Laugh

Anyways, at Hampos request  Wink , I am in work and can’t provide descriptions, so here it goes:

1) Peter Schmeichel Prem Apps: 310 CS: 129
2) Petr Cech Prem Apps: 317 CS: 156
3) Edwin Van Der Saar Prem Apps: 314 CS: 134
4) David Seaman Prem Apps: 344 CS: 142
5) Jose ‘Pepe’ Riena Prem Apps: 285 CS: 134
6) Nigel Martyn Prem Apps 372 CS: 138
7) Brad Friedel Prem Apps: 450 CS: 132
8) Shay Given Prem Apps: 440 CS: 115
9) Mark Schwarzer Prem Apps 504 CS: 149
10) David James Prem Apps 572 CS: 170
No S_o_F, my dad helped me with the article. He's a big, big Liverpool fan and still thinks Reina's worse than JJ..
"Jaaskleinen at 3? Shouldn't pepe be a bit higher? He was a good keeper.." I said
"No. son. Reina was inconsistent. He was brilliant at times, but also plain bad at times. You haven't seen Jussi at Bolton. But I have." He replied immediately.

And that Vidic article..I saw it first on "caughtoffside.com" While I certainly tried to write my article in a similar manned, I did not copy it. Given my limited writing skills, caughtoffside.com is a goos place to base your writing style on. Its more like a report.
And the Mata article,, its more personal. I am not a Man Utd fan.
You've based your list solely on Clean Sheets. But teams like Bolton, Fulham aren't exactly known for their defensive prowess, are they? I also considered the back-four while writing my list. Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liveerpool did have strong defenses.  
According to just %age of Clean Sheets..
1. Petr Cech: 49.21 %
2. Jose "Pepe" Reina: 47.01 %
3. Edwin van der Sar: 42.67 %
4. Peter Schmeichel: 41.61 %
5. David Seaman: 41.27 %
6. Nigel Martyn: 37.09 %
7. David James: 29.72 %
8. Mark Schwarzer: 29.56 %
9. Brad Friedel: 29.33 %
10. Shay Given: 26.13 %
Kahn's CS in the Bundesliga was 35.62 %
Buffon's CS in the Serie A is 42.42 %
Casillas' CS in La Liga is 33.89 %
So yes, I think Cech is a good but overrated keeper in the EPL...Schmeichel? Oh he's 4th. Highly overrated keeper, I tell you. Reina is THE BEST keeper ever. So good that good ol' Rafa had to take him in loan at Napoli so that they could qualify for Champions League. So damn good that Liverpool had to buy that Poopie keeper from that Poopie team...what's his name again? mignolet? mingoles? He has performed so bad this season. Really. Laugh 

Seriously, JJ was more important to Bolton than Reina was to Liverpool. Period. Doh

Crazy About EPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 19 Feb 2014, 8:53 am

Hahaha 'Baloney'

Didn't base my list on clean sheets, just provided the statistic.

If that was the case....clamity would be top.

Did I say Riena was more important to Liverpool then Jussi to Bolton? Please direct me to that quote. I said he was a better keeper, which is what my list is based on. As you see, I've been watching the Premiership longer then youve been alive matey.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/972602-top-10-premier-league-goalkeepers-of-all-time#articles/972602-top-10-premier-league-goalkeepers-of-all-time/page/3

Bleacherreport Top 10

1) Peter Schmeichel
2) David Seaman
3) Jussi Jaaskelainen
4) Nigel Martyn
5) Brad Friedel
6) Edwin Van Der Sar
7) Mark Schwarzer  
8) Peter Cech
9) Shay Given
10) David James

Yours
1) Peter Schmeichel
2) David Seaman
3) Jussi Jaaskelainen
4) Nigel Martyn
5) Brad Friedel
6) Edwin Van Der Sar
7) Peter Cech
8) Mark Schwarzer  
9) Shay Given
10) Pepe Riena

Whistle 

Does daddy work for the Bleacher Report Laugh

And slagging Liverpools current keeper? Like its going to send me into a fit of rage Laugh Think I've highlighted his weaknesses in a previous post if you care to read it.

There is nothing you can say that will ever convience me that Jussi is a better keeper the Riena....PERIOD.

But at least I can come up with my own list. Without daddys help.

Last edited by Soldier_Of_Fortune on Wed 19 Feb 2014, 9:15 am; edited 3 times in total

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 19 Feb 2014, 9:09 am

Stats stats stats.........please......

Anyway, been a good debate to read, so cheers Crazy about EPL  OK 
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 19 Feb 2014, 9:17 am

It isnt a list of better keepers on peak, for me. Its their impact on the premier league through performances. Jussi had more impact and was more important. Dudek could be on the list for ability alone, but his head wasnt screwed on.

But then people on this website will argue that Mignolet is better than De Gea...

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 19 Feb 2014, 9:39 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:It isnt a list of better keepers on peak, for me. Its their impact on the premier league through performances. Jussi had more impact and was more important. Dudek could be on the list for ability alone, but his head wasnt screwed on.

But then people on this website will argue that Mignolet is better than De Gea...

Do you rate De Gea?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 19 Feb 2014, 9:51 am

I get the feeling we watch different goalkeepers. I rate De Gea incredibly highly. I think Mignolet has been fine and will grow in stature for a season at Liverpool, so slightly holding back on my judgment.

I'm gonna start another thread, one we can disagree on even more

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 19 Feb 2014, 9:52 am

I'm pleased to see Schmeichel consistently shown as the number one here.

Pundits generally agree that the best strikers have a selfish streak. There was actually an element of that to Schmeichel's game. I don't mean that in a damning way at all. Far more, to praise his total focus on keeping the ball out of the net.

This really came over in his comments when he was on MOTD 2 shortly before Christmas. In reviewing a howler by Southampton keeper Boruc where he had conceded a goal upon being dispossessed by Arsenal's Giroud, Schmeichel commented along these lines, ''Managers do want to play from the back ... I didn't always care about that ... I just wanted to get the ball away ... sometimes I kicked the ball into touch ... sometimes I kicked the ball up field ...''.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:20 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I get the feeling we watch different goalkeepers. I rate De Gea incredibly highly. I think Mignolet has been fine and will grow in stature for a season at Liverpool, so slightly holding back on my judgment.

I'm gonna start another thread, one we can disagree on even more

For a start I only asked if you rated De Gea, I wasn't making any comparisons to Mignolet.

I am not aboard the De Gea train yet. He still looks to be a little flimsy for me. I know he has been working hard trying to bulk himself up to cope with the physicality of the league. But he has off form this season for me. He's got bags of potential and he does remind me of Van Der Saar, but just needs to find that consistency in his performances.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:23 am

Ease down captain, the comparison was there because I'd already brought it up  Cool 

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:31 am

Laugh oh you little rascal!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 12:15 pm

Great detective work Soldier_Of_Fortune - there's whole sentences simply copied out of the Bleacher report and put into this article!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 19 Feb 2014, 12:21 pm

If thats true it should probably be removed quite sharpish, Bleacher are worse than anyone on material and plagiarism

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 12:25 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:If thats true it should probably be removed quite sharpish, Bleacher are worse than anyone on material and plagiarism

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/972602-top-10-premier-league-goalkeepers-of-all-time/page/1

Well there's the link.

And...er...there's another article this fellow wrote which has been copied word for word from another site. Although it might be his website he's copied from, I suppose. Observe:

http://v2journal.com/22/post/2014/02/juan-mata-and-manchester-uniteds-long-term-plans.html
http://wymfootball.com/2014/01/24/juan-mata-and-manchester-uniteds-long-term-plans/

Although I might have this the wrong way around, I'm not sure how strict the rules on copyright are.

Last edited by Duty281 on Wed 19 Feb 2014, 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 19 Feb 2014, 12:27 pm

My unbiased top 10, based purely on what I've seen (no stats supplied)

Schmeichel
VDS
Cech
Seaman
Given
Martyn
Friedel
Reina
Schwarzer
Flowers
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 1:01 pm

I will look in to this, thanks for bringing it to my attention lads.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 19 Feb 2014, 1:36 pm

hampo171 wrote:I will look in to this, thanks for bringing it to my attention lads.

Haha no probs Hampo  thumbsup 

Having Jussi at number 3 raised my suspicions Laugh

And the Mata article was personal  Doh 

If you ever looking for an 'ORIGINAL' arctle on a particular Football or Boxing matter, drop us a PM Hampo  thumbsup 

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 19 Feb 2014, 1:44 pm

Stella wrote:My unbiased top 10, based purely on what I've seen (no stats supplied)

Schmeichel
VDS
Cech
Seaman
Given
Martyn
Friedel
Reina
Schwarzer
Flowers

Based on detailed statistical analysis over the years from my armchair  Wink , I feel there are two eras to Cech's goalkeeping. The first and vastly superior one was pre the collision with Hunt. Post that, he has seen less commanding and more prone to the odd error.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 19 Feb 2014, 2:02 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Stella wrote:My unbiased top 10, based purely on what I've seen (no stats supplied)

Schmeichel
VDS
Cech
Seaman
Given
Martyn
Friedel
Reina
Schwarzer
Flowers

Based on detailed statistical analysis over the years from my armchair  Wink , I feel there are two eras to Cech's goalkeeping. The first and vastly superior one was pre the collision with Hunt. Post that, he has seen less commanding and more prone to the odd error.

I agree. He no doubt lost a bit of confidence after the Hunt knock.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 19 Feb 2014, 2:23 pm

hampo171 wrote:I will look in to this, thanks for bringing it to my attention lads.

And he had Reina on his list, got to suspect something

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 19 Feb 2014, 2:25 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:

And he had Reina on his list, got to suspect something

Haha, the only he added aswell

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 19 Feb 2014, 4:49 pm

And the Mata article was personal  Doh 

If you ever looking for an 'ORIGINAL' arctle on a particular Football or Boxing matter, drop us a PM Hampo  thumbsup 

I can assure you the Northampton Town article I PM'd you is 100% mine.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 19 Feb 2014, 6:05 pm

Stella wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

Schmeichel
VDS
Cech
Seaman
Given
Martyn
Friedel
Reina
Schwarzer
Flowers

I agree. He no doubt lost a bit of confidence after the Hunt knock.

I too agree. In fact at his peak I'd have Cech probably top of the list (or at worst 2nd to the big dane) but over the course of his career... Prob more around 4th or 5th (although not below the likes of Martyn or Friedel).

I'm surprised not more people have Given higher - for me he was one of the great goalkeepers.

I'd have
Schmeichel
Seaman
VDS
Cech
Given
Friedel
Martyn
Reina
Flowers
James

Whilst I admire the longetivity of the likes of Schwarzer and JJ I think they just miss out. But positions 9 and 10 much of a muchness really.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next