The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Psssst! Just so you know, Super Rugby Starts this Weekend Feb 15th. Here's New Zealand's Conf...

5 posters

Go down

Psssst! Just so you know, Super Rugby Starts this Weekend Feb 15th. Here's New Zealand's Conf... Empty Psssst! Just so you know, Super Rugby Starts this Weekend Feb 15th. Here's New Zealand's Conf...

Post by yappysnap Wed 12 Feb 2014, 8:40 pm

Ok it seems to have pretty much gone under the radar on this site what with the 6N's and Leeds changing their name and other NH things. But IMO the most enjoyable rugby tournament in the world is starting this weekend.

YES WELCOME BACK SUPERRUGBY

I can't make time to do my own write up so i've stolen one from GreenandGoldRugby. They've kindly split it down into it's three conferences and that is how i'll be posting these OP's.

Enjoy

Super Rugby 2014 Preview: New Zealand Conference

The Blues

Position in 2013: 10th

2014 Luck of the Draw: The Blues have an exceptional draw. They face the Force and Lions away and they face the Waratahs, Reds, Sharks and Cheetahs at home.

Players to watch: Jerome Kaino, Charlie Faumuina, Charles Piutau, Tom Donnelly.

Predicted position in 2014: 6th

The Blues have traditionally been powerhouses of the Super Rugby competition but have had a disappointing last two seasons. Newly capped All Blacks Francis Saili, Charles Piutau, Steven Luatua and returning players Ma’a Nonu, Jerome Kaino and Tom Donnelly should add a bit of firepower to the team. They are in the capable hands of Sir John Kirwan and should have a strong 2014 season.

The Chiefs

Position in 2013: Winners

2014 Luck of the Draw: The Chiefs will miss out on playing the Reds this season. This is good for the Chiefs as the Reds have been a bogey team for them over the last few years. The Chiefs should not have a problem defeating the Lions at home but the game against the Force in Perth could be dangerous for them.

Players to watch: Tom Marshall, Robbie Fruean, Jamie Macintosh and Mils Muliaina

Predicted position in 2014: Winners

The Chiefs have been the standard over the last two years. They have acquired even more talent in the off season to add to their depth including All Blacks test centurion and Chiefs veteran Mils Muliaina. I do not believe the Chiefs era has ended just yet.

The Crusaders

Position in 2013: Semi-Finalists

2014 Luck of the Draw: The Crusaders are traditionally slow starters so their round 5 clash with the Rebels in Melbourne could be a danger game for the Crusaders. The Rebels have beaten them before! The Crusaders will miss playing the Bulls and Waratahs.

Players to watch: Dominic Bird, Joe Moody, Kieran Reid and Luke Romano.

Predicted position in 2014: Semi-Finalists.

The Crusaders have not missed the play-offs in 12 seasons of Super Rugby so it would be bold to predict otherwise for this season. Their stock of All Blacks is still plentiful; however, they will be without Dan Carter for the majority of the season whilst he takes a sabbatical as he aims to be fresh for the 2015 World Cup. Richie McCaw returns to Super Rugby after utilising his sabbatical last season.

The Highlanders

Position in 2013: 14th

2014 Luck of the Draw: The Highlanders have a difficult tour to South Africa playing the Stormers and the Sharks. They will also play the Reds and Waratahs away but miss out on playing the Brumbies.

Players to watch: Ben Smith, Lima Sopoaga, Brad Thorn

Predicted position in 2014: 11th

At the beginning of 2013 I thought the Highlanders had what it took to go all the way. Boy was I wrong… Week after week they continued to disappoint and they finished the year with a season to forget. The Highlanders will have no Ma’a Nonu or Tamati Ellison in the midfield but retain All Blacks Ben Smith and Aaron Smith. Don’t forget about Brad Thorn either.

The Hurricanes

Position in 2013: 11th

2014 Luck of the Draw: The Hurricanes get their tour to South Africa over quickly as they face the Sharks and Stormers. They will then host the Brumbies, Cheetahs, Bulls and Reds.

Players to watch: Jeffery Toomaga- Allen, Jeremy Thrush, Marty Banks and Ardie Savea.

Predicted position in 2014: 12th

The Hurricanes will be led by Conrad Smith again in 2014. They failed to fire last year. They have some class players but need to be more consistent. Cory Jane returns after an ACL injury put him out of last year’s competition.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Psssst! Just so you know, Super Rugby Starts this Weekend Feb 15th. Here's New Zealand's Conf... Empty Re: Psssst! Just so you know, Super Rugby Starts this Weekend Feb 15th. Here's New Zealand's Conf...

Post by yappysnap Wed 12 Feb 2014, 9:29 pm

To wet your appetites. Check out this compilation from last years tournament.

A.Maze.Ing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90T2I7KduTc#t=0

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Psssst! Just so you know, Super Rugby Starts this Weekend Feb 15th. Here's New Zealand's Conf... Empty Re: Psssst! Just so you know, Super Rugby Starts this Weekend Feb 15th. Here's New Zealand's Conf...

Post by George Carlin Thu 13 Feb 2014, 7:12 am

Good post Yappy - am also very excited about this.

I can't help but feel that if it all clicks, the Blues are going to place a lot better than 6th. If anything lets them down, it will be their pack because their backline looks amazing. Will Benji Marshall deliver on the deafening hype?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 13 Feb 2014, 7:54 am

Blues did look quality at times last season as well GC just couldn't string it together though. Not sure if they'll get the wins needed against the other NZ sides but yea Benji Marshall what a prospect! Real shame they don't have Ranger any more though as he was the heartbeat of the side.

I'm backing Chiefs again. (Boring I know!)

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 13 Feb 2014, 7:59 am

Yes, no weaknesses in the Chiefs side, unless you count not getting Sonny Bill back until next season.

I know that I keep banging on about this, but if you're English you surely have to be excited about Matt Symons being a key young player in the Chiefs pack. What an incredible opportunity to learn from the best.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 13 Feb 2014, 8:06 am

It's probably an enlightening experience for him, he's playing for Canterbury in the ITM as well so either lots of good rugby. Not sure if he'll get much time or not though. If only we could send a young 10 and 12 over there as well...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 14 Feb 2014, 4:38 pm

Good on you yappy. Still don't understand why the opening weekend only sees 4 teams competing. Didn't make sense last year and certainly doesn't make sense this year. Imagine the 6N opening weekend with just two teams competing.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 14 Feb 2014, 5:50 pm

Yea it's weirdly anticlimatic isn't it!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 16 Feb 2014, 9:19 am

Upset already with Lions claiming a last-minute win over the Cheetahs. Sharks got a bonus point against the Bulls and the Bulls seemed not to have added anything different in terms of attack.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 16 Feb 2014, 9:43 am

Watched the Sharks game - Bulls looked unbelievably flat.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 16 Feb 2014, 10:43 am

Bulls looked way off the pace didn't they? Just seem to be a team in decline at the moment.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 16 Feb 2014, 10:53 am

Sharks have a lot of talent.  Combine that with the Jake White factor and they will be very difficult to beat.  Not sure why there ware only two matches to kick things off, but it was entertaining.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 16 Feb 2014, 12:06 pm

Although I've got right to be because the lad was born in Durban and came up through the academies, I remain gutted that Lambie didn't ever play for Scotland (he is SQ thanks to his dad, I think) as he spent some time growing up on the west coast like me.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 16 Feb 2014, 2:05 pm

Willie Le Roux looked in good form but the Cheetahs will be left thinking how they didn't get the right result.

On a more disturbing note, there was a serial killer at the ground killing women with obvious gay abandon and no steps were taken by the security at the ground. The victims' cries can be clearly heard at 4:32 and 4:44 and 5:10 but I fear there were many more.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Sun 16 Feb 2014, 6:53 pm

If I'd had to sit near that screaming lady, I'd probably have resorted to violence...

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down