The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer Is At It Again, Abusing Umpires

+16
sportslover
kingraf
summerblues
invisiblecoolers
JuliusHMarx
lydian
hawkeye
spdocoffee
Silver
banbrotam
Johnyjeep
Jahu
socal1976
The Special Juan
bogbrush
HM Murdock
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Federer Is At It Again, Abusing Umpires Empty Federer Is At It Again, Abusing Umpires

Post by HM Murdock Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:28 pm

Watching some highlights of his semi final against Nadal, I see that once again Federer is abusing umpires.

Complaining about Rafa’s grunting, Federer ordered the umpire to “do your job”.

The Swiss number 2, who has a track record of abusing umpires, opponents and their families, may also have unleashed a tirade in his press conference in which he said Rafa “sounded like a pig” and that he was going to tell Nike to stop calling Rafa ‘The Bull’ and start calling him “El Porco”.

Federer, 67, is no stranger to controversy.

He was recently awarded the Stefan Edberg award for the ninth time but refused to accept the trophy. A representative of Shank, Scuff & Choke (Federer’s lawyers) told the ATP :

“He doesn’t want another stinking glass bowl. He wants Edberg.”

Faced with this ultimatum from their most ruthless player, the ATP agreed to give Edberg to Federer for a 10 week trial period.

In an attempt to make it appear that Edberg was not being held against his will, Federer implied that he was there in a coaching role and had some new tactics on how to play Rafa. No sign of these tactics were evident in the match.

There are also reports emerging that, despite being out of the tournament, Federer may have been in the Rod Laver Arena on Sunday. A ball girl claims she saw someone in a cream suit with an oversized Rolex who appeared to inject something in Nadal’s back just before he went out to warm up.

Mystery also surrounds the presence of Pete Sampras for final award ceremony. The ITF confirm that they did not actually invite Sampras and don’t know why he was there. A spokesman said:

“It’s essential that we have someone interesting to make the presentation. If we follow up the speech from the chairman of Kia with someone else dull, the audience’s health could be at risk. We had booked up Hulk Hogan so we were mystified to see Sampras appear. It’s almost as if somebody was trying to make the ceremony so tedious that nobody would notice that Wawrinka is now the Swiss number 1.”

As much as the Australian Open likes to present itself as the 'Happy Slam', I can't help feeling  that a dark cloud is once again forming over tennis...

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Federer Is At It Again, Abusing Umpires Empty Re: Federer Is At It Again, Abusing Umpires

Post by bogbrush Mon 27 Jan 2014, 2:09 pm

Outstanding research, salutations!  Bubbly 

I can confirm that mystery surrounds Pete Sampras appearance; apparently nobody present can remember him being there, and nor is any trace of him evident on YouTube videos. Those present can recall only a mysterious "missing minute" during the ceremony, which tugs at the memory in the way that a half-remembered dream hangs tantalisingly out of reach.

As for Edberg, one imagines that he will be carried around and shown off to admiring fans in much the way the famous Golden Cup has been given the honour of accompanying Federer so many times around Wimbledon Centre Court. Perhaps Roger will have a duplicate made for the cabinet when he eventually decides to hand the original back.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Federer Is At It Again, Abusing Umpires Empty Re: Federer Is At It Again, Abusing Umpires

Post by The Special Juan Mon 27 Jan 2014, 6:32 pm

Very Happy I needed cheering up and boy has that worked.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 6:37 pm

Very funny, but lets not make light of the extensive track record of abusive federer conduct to peers, their families, and officials.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 27 Jan 2014, 7:06 pm

Post of the year and so early on new year  clap 
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Mon 27 Jan 2014, 7:13 pm

Haha qualify stuff!!

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 27 Jan 2014, 7:17 pm

Arguably the article of this, past and future years

It's cheered me up as I'm away on business and at a hotel who's service is so bad, it makes me long to see Andy's second one  Wink 

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 27 Jan 2014, 7:33 pm

banbrotam wrote: I'm away on business and at a hotel who's service is so bad, it makes me long to see Andy's second one  Wink 
 Laugh clap 

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 27 Jan 2014, 7:46 pm

Everything's good now!! I've just been upgraded to this posh suite. A bit too much for a humble Yorkshireman  Laugh 

Anyway, here goes Bubbly

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Mon 27 Jan 2014, 8:12 pm

Truly outstanding Laugh 

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by spdocoffee Mon 27 Jan 2014, 8:43 pm

Reminds me of the good old days of "transitional no. 1 Roger Federer", "Swiss shankey" and "chamberpot Challengers".

spdocoffee

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 27 Jan 2014, 8:51 pm

Thanks to an earlier poster for a reminder of a glorious moment from yesteryear

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N4fB5Tp-FGU

If I recall correctly, this was considered worthy of an immediate "Services to tennis" award.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 8:56 pm

Yes it was a glorious moment Federer lost me as a fan that day before then I had no hostility towards him. Does not reflect well on Federer interesting you deem it a glorious moment going after a player's box when he could easily address his comments to the referee.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 27 Jan 2014, 9:08 pm

socal1976 wrote:Yes it was a glorious moment Federer lost me as a fan that day before then I had no hostility towards him. Does not reflect well on Federer interesting you deem it a glorious moment going after a player's box when he could easily address his comments to the referee.
He still speaks regretfully of that effect.  Crying or Very sad 

I liked it; when you need a job doing who better to do it - some spineless umpire who'll duck it, or yourself? The sport needs rowdy classless fans keeping in order. Certainly the other spectators seemed wholly to approve.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 27 Jan 2014, 9:33 pm

I found this video as I was looking for other footage of Federer behaving like a fiend.

Check out the dodgy subtitles. Djokovic seems to have acquired a couple of nicknames...

Last edited by HM Murdoch on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 9:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 27 Jan 2014, 9:34 pm

HM. You made me  Very Happy but now I'm worried. Is this "fan fiction" If so I've had stern warnings that I shouldn't read such stuff. It is apparently the slippery slope...  Wink

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 27 Jan 2014, 9:37 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:I found this video as I was looking for other footage of Federer behaving like a fiend.

Check out the dodgy subtitles. Djokovic seems to have acquired a couple of nicknames...

I don't believe it! "Choke a bitch"  Shocked Smile

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 27 Jan 2014, 9:42 pm

HE, he was also called "Joe Courage"! But I suspect the other one will stick in the mind more..!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 27 Jan 2014, 9:43 pm

bogbrush wrote:Thanks to an earlier poster for a reminder of a glorious moment from yesteryear

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N4fB5Tp-FGU

If I recall correctly, this was considered worthy of an immediate "Services to tennis" award.

I'm ashamed to say that is one of my top tennis "moments". I can't believe it really happened as it feels way too close to the sort of "fan fiction" I've been warned against.  heart Federer. Djokovic's family has a lot to learn  king

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 27 Jan 2014, 9:46 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:HE, he was also called "Joe Courage"! But I suspect the other one will stick in the mind more..!

Stop it! I won't be able to say "Djokovic" without thinking of something else...  Wink

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:00 pm

Funny, HE you accused Djokovic of attempting to intimidate a lower ranked opponent when he turned away towards his own box and yelled C'mon and yet you consider Fed yelling into an opponent's box not to be intimidating but a badge of honor for federer. Lets say that you have a lot to learn about fairness and objectivity but I don't hold out hope that you ever will. The fact that you claim Novak was giving steely stares at his opponent as being bad and intimidating behavior but Roger verbally going at another player's box as wonderful tell us what we already know about your double standards and biases. Personally, I have never seen any other player go at another player's box in anyway. Federer did something that even Connors and Mac were never accused of and it is a serious breach of the etiquette and rules of the game where you address your complaints to the match official. FEderer has a lot to learn about the etiquette and rules of the game and you have even more to learn about fairness and objectivity.

Last edited by socal1976 on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:04 pm

If Murray told another player's box to be quiet in a harsh and disrespectful manner you might soil your undies.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:16 pm

socal1976 wrote:Funny, HE you accused Djokovic of attempting to intimidate a lower ranked opponent when he turned away towards his own box and yelled C'mon and yet you consider Fed yelling into an opponent's box not to be intimidating but a badge of honor for federer. Lets say that you have a lot to learn about fairness and objectivity but I don't hold out hope that you ever will. The fact that you claim Novak was giving steely stares at his opponent as being bad and intimidating behavior but Roger verbally going at another player's box as wonderful tell us what we already know about your double standards and biases. Personally, I have never seen any other player go at another player's box in anyway. Federer did something that even Connors and Mac were never accused of and it is a serious breach of the etiquette and rules of the game where you address your complaints to the match official. FEderer has a lot to learn about the etiquette and rules of the game and you have even more to learn about fairness and objectivity.

You've never lived until you've seen unruly yobs slapped down in public by a heroic figure.

In defence of Connors & McEnroe they were unfortunate never to have the opportunity to show their class. Had they played in front of people of such dismal calibre I'm sure they'd have done their public duty.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:29 pm

Good on Federer vs. The Djokovics I say.
They needed a good slap down.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:31 pm

Jeez, wasn't this supposed to be light-hearted humourous thread. Hell, even I thought it was funny, and I don't even know how to spell comedi.

I can create a socal vs. bogbrush thread if it'll help contain it to one thread.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:44 pm

Great you guys think he was wonderful that day, I have never liked the man since that day. We are all entitled to our opinion. But please Hawkeye don't do anymore posts where you lecture Murray and Djokovic about how they should or should not behave or claim that they are trying to intimidate their opponents and how awful that is. It really comes off as hypocritical in light of your cheerleading this conduct.

Funny all other Novak's couple of hundred opponents on tour have managed not to go at his box and his family. I watched that match and all they were doing was cheering loudly for their son in between points, Roger is a bully. Just like when he waded into the Roddick controversy and called Novak a joke after the Wawrinka davis cup match. Even though Novak had well documented history of respiratory issues. With judges like you no wonder this pompous bully has won so many Nike Edberg awards. He could punch Djokovic in the face and everyone would be outraged at how Novak's chin hurt Roger's knuckles.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 28 Jan 2014, 3:02 am

HM Murdoch wrote:Watching some highlights of his semi final against Nadal, I see that once again Federer is abusing umpires.

Complaining about Rafa’s grunting, Federer ordered the umpire to “do your job”.

The Swiss number 2, who has a track record of abusing umpires, opponents and their families, may also have unleashed a tirade in his press conference in which he said Rafa “sounded like a pig” and that he was going to tell Nike to stop calling Rafa ‘The Bull’ and start calling him “El Porco”.

Federer, 67, is no stranger to controversy.

He was recently awarded the Stefan Edberg award for the ninth time but refused to accept the trophy. A representative of Shank, Scuff & Choke (Federer’s lawyers) told the ATP :

“He doesn’t want another stinking glass bowl. He wants Edberg.”

Faced with this ultimatum from their most ruthless player, the ATP agreed to give Edberg to Federer for a 10 week trial period.

In an attempt to make it appear that Edberg was not being held against his will, Federer implied that he was there in a coaching role and had some new tactics on how to play Rafa. No sign of these tactics were evident in the match.

There are also reports emerging that, despite being out of the tournament, Federer may have been in the Rod Laver Arena on Sunday. A ball girl claims she saw someone in a cream suit with an oversized Rolex who appeared to inject something in Nadal’s back just before he went out to warm up.

Mystery also surrounds the presence of Pete Sampras for final award ceremony. The ITF confirm that they did not actually invite Sampras and don’t know why he was there. A spokesman said:

“It’s essential that we have someone interesting to make the presentation. If we follow up the speech from the chairman of Kia with someone else dull, the audience’s health could be at risk. We had booked up Hulk Hogan so we were mystified to see Sampras appear. It’s almost as if somebody was trying to make the ceremony so tedious that nobody would notice that Wawrinka is now the Swiss number 1.”

As much as the Australian Open likes to present itself as the 'Happy Slam', I can't help feeling  that a dark cloud is once again forming over tennis...

You make a mole out of mountain, so you safely forget Djoko abusing many spectators in the crowd? u completely forget Rafa abusing and shouldering opponents during the match.

You also like Socal safely forget that he is the most respected player among the player corridor as well as among the fans, you don't get respect if you dont give respect. Federer has involved in some fights with umpires, but can you list me atleast 10 incidents? before we can say he has a track history of it. picard 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue 28 Jan 2014, 3:08 am

He is joking, IC

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 28 Jan 2014, 3:16 am

You don't get respect unless you give respect, huh? Damn, Nadal should have retired after he got booed - and then had a speech that went something like, "You do the boo, no? Well I get paid same whether I lose in one set or the five... Good luck with this months groceries"... Given the defense of Federer by some here, I expect them to then call this Nadal's watershed moment, when he truly became a great person.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 28 Jan 2014, 3:43 am

kingraf wrote:You don't get respect unless you give respect, huh? Damn, Nadal should have retired after he got booed - and then had a speech that went something like, "You do the boo, no? Well I get paid same whether I lose in one set or the five... Good luck with this months groceries"... Given the defense of Federer by some here, I expect them to then call this Nadal's watershed moment, when he truly became a great person.

I have never personally complained about Rafa on any thread , and I have equal respect for Rafa like how I have for Fed.  Hug  I just get irritated when needless complaints are raised.

On Rafa getting booed? well he deserved the boo for him abusing MTO's in the past, but crowd sooner or later realized he was genuine this time around and cheered for him later, he has so many fans and lovers around the world for the great person he is [not just for being a great player], but he does get some boos from crowd on aspect like MTO's and time wasting gimmicks.  furious 

@SB,

poor me  picard , sorry HM RedWine

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 28 Jan 2014, 4:45 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Jeez, wasn't this supposed to be light-hearted humourous thread. Hell, even I thought it was funny, and I don't even know how to spell comedi.

I can create a socal vs. bogbrush thread if it'll help contain it to one thread.
Hey, this is entirely in the right spirit. Our good friend has been telling us how he likes the livelier style and anyway he's always fully in control of his emotions (unlike the Djokovic's!) so there's no problem. It's certainly not a vs thread.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jts9suWIDlU
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 28 Jan 2014, 7:55 am

bogbrush wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Jeez, wasn't this supposed to be light-hearted humourous thread. Hell, even I thought it was funny, and I don't even know how to spell comedi.

Hey, this is entirely in the right spirit. Our good friend has been telling us how he likes the livelier style and anyway he's always fully in control of his emotions (unlike the Djokovic's!) so there's no problem. It's certainly not a vs thread.

Yes BB and I are simpatico, if we were fighting it would get a lot worse than this I assure. I am hoping that at one stage he will anger me enough for me to unleash the Kraken but at this point it is pretty amusing. We have established that Federer has a frat boy bully streak and likes to make fun of of people's well established medical conditions and has no respect for the rules and etiquette of the game.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 28 Jan 2014, 8:12 am

socal1976 wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Yes BB and I are simpatico, if we were fighting it would get a lot worse than this I assure.  I am hoping that at one stage he will anger me enough for me to unleash the Kraken but at this point it is pretty amusing. I, in my own mind, have established that Federer has a frat boy bully streak and likes to make fun of of people's well established medical conditions and has no respect for the rules and etiquette of the game.

Fixed for you  thumbsup 

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 28 Jan 2014, 9:10 am

I'm not Feds biggest fan but that's a bit harsh.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 28 Jan 2014, 9:14 am

Federer Is At It Again, Abusing Umpires Post-37-0-77967000-1338927189

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 28 Jan 2014, 9:27 am

HM Murdoch wrote:Federer Is At It Again, Abusing Umpires Post-37-0-77967000-1338927189

That stare is haunting! It pierces my mind. I have a strange urge to lynch left-handed Spaniards now. And buy some Lindt.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:04 am

socal1976 wrote:If Murray told another player's box to be quiet in a harsh and disrespectful manner you might soil your undies.

A comment to "he"  laughing 

Always good for a laugh!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Jan 2014, 12:49 am

I lost all self-respect when Federupicus said "be quiet, okay" to the pater familiass of the Foghornicus Djokoviticus.  Self-flagellations and squirrel immolations didst I undertake from that day forward to heal the systemic anomaly created by that extraordinary rendition in concordance with the ergo fields of the whoopy bergs.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 29 Jan 2014, 1:20 am

Nore Staat wrote:I lost all self-respect when Federupicus said "be quiet, okay" to the pater familiass of the Foghornicus Djokoviticus.  Self-flagellations and squirrel immolations didst I undertake from that day forward to heal the systemic anomaly created by that extraordinary rendition in concordance with the ergo fields of the whoopy bergs.

Ok if you say so, but frankly there are about a half dozen incidents of Fed's discourteous and disrespectful behavior to Djokovic over the years from calling him a joke after he took an MTO in a Davis cup match in 06 I believe against wawrinka. The lucky shot denunciations and demanding to know how he dared to play that was after USO 2011. The abusive conduct to Djoko's box at the 2008 MC. My favorite is when unlike any other professional and what the rules and etiquette of the game call for in the 2011 AO semi he told Djoko in a nasty tone "you are bouncing the ball too much" and Novak sarcastically said sorry, which got the massive universe of Fed worshipers online and on this website into a estrogen laced hissy fit, a lot of man breasts were developed that night. Maybe fed will learn that he is not the boss of everyone and do what mortal players do when upset at opponent's conduct or the fans and address the umpire. Or when he weighed in to again charge Djokovic with being a faker in regards to an incident with Roddick at the AO.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 29 Jan 2014, 9:06 am

Federer is a very sore loser, I'll give you that.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed 29 Jan 2014, 9:12 am

All geniuses are brittle.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 29 Jan 2014, 9:16 am

lydian wrote:Federer is a very sore loser, I'll give you that.

Not just a sore loser, but a huge factor worse than the worse loser ever with less than zero respect for players, fans, umpires, ball boys, sponsors, cleaning staff and the blokes who sell hotdogs in the stands. I hatesssss Federerererssss, I hatesssss it, my preciousssssss.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 29 Jan 2014, 10:36 am

socal1976 wrote:
Nore Staat wrote:I lost all self-respect when Federupicus said "be quiet, okay" to the pater familiass of the Foghornicus Djokoviticus.  Self-flagellations and squirrel immolations didst I undertake from that day forward to heal the systemic anomaly created by that extraordinary rendition in concordance with the ergo fields of the whoopy bergs.

Ok if you say so, but frankly there are about a half dozen incidents of Fed's discourteous and disrespectful behavior to Djokovic over the years from calling him a joke after he took an MTO in a Davis cup match in 06 I believe against wawrinka. The lucky shot denunciations and demanding to know how he dared to play that was after USO 2011. The abusive conduct to Djoko's box at the 2008 MC. My favorite is when unlike any other professional and what the rules and etiquette of the game call for in the 2011 AO semi he told Djoko in a nasty tone "you are bouncing the ball too much" and Novak sarcastically said sorry, which got the massive universe of Fed worshipers online and on this website into a estrogen laced hissy fit, a lot of man breasts were developed that night. Maybe fed will learn that he is not the boss of everyone and do what mortal players do when upset at opponent's conduct or the fans and address the umpire. Or when he weighed in to again charge Djokovic with being a faker in regards to an incident with Roddick at the AO.

It's not Federer's conduct you really hate so much as the over-adoration of some of his supporters. If you take them out of the equation it's pretty obvious that in a highly competitive career of 1000+ matches Federer's conduct has been very good, but clearly not without any blemish. He generally plays the game at a good clip and without histrionics and fuss (hence the reaction when the mantle slips - as it does from time to time). The guy's got an ego, he's not alone there, although he may be more used to having it polished than others. He also has a reputation with his peers for down-to-earth acts of kindness and generosity which suggest that when the heat of battle is over and he's not been preened by some over-enthusiastic journalist, that there beats within the heart of a decent enough guy.

Having said all that, I have not seen any conspicuous reporting of Fed having expressed his joy for Stan since the win over Djokovic - I wonder what he really feels about the fact that Stan, not him, slayed the nemesis?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 29 Jan 2014, 11:27 am

"He called me straight away to congratulate me. Roger was going crazy - he was so happy. He has been in that situation so many times so he knows the feeling and he was delighted," Wawrinka said. "He is my first supporter, he is always there."
Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/277823.html#yOVgBTIaV5EbXhsI.99

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 29 Jan 2014, 11:32 am

LuvSports! wrote:"He called me straight away to congratulate me. Roger was going crazy - he was so happy. He has been in that situation so many times so he knows the feeling and he was delighted," Wawrinka said. "He is my first supporter, he is always there."
Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/277823.html#yOVgBTIaV5EbXhsI.99
The b*****d!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 29 Jan 2014, 12:09 pm

bogbrush wrote:
LuvSports! wrote:"He called me straight away to congratulate me. Roger was going crazy - he was so happy. He has been in that situation so many times so he knows the feeling and he was delighted," Wawrinka said. "He is my first supporter, he is always there."
The b*****d!

Quite - all my worst fears confirmed.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 29 Jan 2014, 5:56 pm

barrystar wrote:
socal1976 wrote:

It's not Federer's conduct you really hate so much as the over-adoration of some of his supporters.  If you take them out of the equation it's pretty obvious that in a highly competitive career of 1000+ matches Federer's conduct has been very good, but clearly not without any blemish.  He generally plays the game at a good clip and without histrionics and fuss (hence the reaction when the mantle slips - as it does from time to time).  The guy's got an ego, he's not alone there, although he may be more used to having it polished than others.  He also has a reputation with his peers for down-to-earth acts of kindness and generosity which suggest that when the heat of battle is over and he's not been preened by some over-enthusiastic journalist, that there beats within the heart of a decent enough guy.  

Having said all that, I have not seen any conspicuous reporting of Fed having expressed his joy for Stan since the win over Djokovic - I wonder what he really feels about the fact that Stan, not him, slayed the nemesis?

Yes, I agree I don't view Federer as a bad man, he has been hugely important for tennis and has provided some great as well as painful memories. And I must say some of the media coverage and the actions of his supporters has rubbed me the wrong way about the guy. A very good and balanced post and it is accurate both to my views of federer and to the man himself. But as I supporter of DJokovic maybe you can see from his conduct towards Novak in the past why exactly I would have a rational basis to not like Federer the player or competitor.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 29 Jan 2014, 7:57 pm

I can see that there has been antipathy between Federer and Djoko. I used to think Djoko a boobie, but when I saw how the guy conducts himself on the court I changed my mind. Also, he has helped preserve Federer's lead in the slam count!
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 04 Feb 2014, 8:04 pm

In a fit of rage Federer has struck Wawrinka in the face.

http://www.blick.ch/sport/tennis/federer-attackiert-wawrinka-id2647170.html

Nice to see the best make mistakes too!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 04 Feb 2014, 10:35 pm

socal1976 wrote: But as I supporter of DJokovic maybe you can see from his conduct towards Novak in the past why exactly I would have a rational basis to not like Federer the player or competitor.

SoCal… I am very surprised at this rationalization. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next