The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The annual thread

+9
Dolphin Ziggler
Kay Fabe
TheCultOfPersonality
Mr H
Crimey
theundisputedY2D2
Gregers
Shot 21 LCFC
Kid Vicious
13 posters

Go down

The annual thread Empty The annual thread

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:08 am

OK, I'll start it.
Sting. WWE. Again. Allegedly it's so far down the road this year, the WWE are already working on utilising "a man called Sting" somewhere or other. So....

Will it happen this year?
Do you want it to happen?
Who will he face? (the two candidates I've read are the obvious Undertaker match and Shawn Michaels)
Should he sign, will he make more than just an appearance at WM30?
Will he induct the WORYAH?!!

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

The annual thread Empty Re: The annual thread

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:11 am

He should be used to put John Cena over at Wrestlemania.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:25 am

As a TNA fan I must say I cant stand Sting, he's a waste of space and takes up a valuable spot on the roster (and a ton of cash) that could be used in so many better ways

Taker vs Sting would be a car crash, Sting cant go any more and whislt Taker is still incredible he needs a good worker in there with him (like HBK, HHH, Orton, Punk)

All I'd want Sting to do is go into the HOF and then leave, or have the dreaded number 14 spot in the rumble...

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:48 am

I'm torn on this one because I'm a fan of both the Undertaker and Sting. On the one hand, it's a dream match between two legends of the sport and the build up to it would be quite the spectacle. On the other hand, the match could be horrible, Sting looks as if he can't be arsed working out anymore seeing as he's gone the Ric Flair route of wrestling in a t-shirt to hide his sagging physique and the Undertaker has struggled with various injuries over the years to the point where he only wrestles a couple of matches a year at most.

Taker at his 2006-2008 super-worker level could get a decent to good match out of Sting but at this point in his career I think he's more suited to keeping up with a super-worker rather than being a super-worker.

The thing is, IF Sting were to sign with the WWE, he'd have to have at least one match. You can't very well sign him up and then not use him in-ring, the Sting character wouldn't work as a manager or authority figure or any other non-wrestling gimmick if he's coming into a company 'cold'.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:57 am

Sometimes the story that gets told in a match means it doesn't have to be a Dave Meltzer classic. Hogan/Warrior for example wasn't technically amazing, but they told the story perfectly. If they wrestled an old-school match with lots of holds mixed with their signature moves they're both professional enough to pull off a 12 minute match.

I agree though, Sting needs to hit the gym. 3 months with his muscle memory should be more than enough to look good for his age in the scorpion singlet.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:59 am

I would hope he wouldn't wrestle, he's nowhere near good enough to be in matches any more, never mind a big match. If he comes back, I hope it's just to be a very limited on-screen character, maybe one or two appearances.

It'll likely be a 'Legends deal' where they will use him to promote stuff, like releasing a DVD of his career, pushing the WCW parts of the WWE Network and the odd appearance.

For me, he's not relevant enough to a lot of the WWE fans to be of any use as a wrestler.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:12 pm

I don't give a crap about his age or saggy chesticles, I'd love to see him and Taker looking across the ring at eachother at Wrestlemania 30. An average match against an icon like Sting beats a great match against someone like Orton.

Sometimes the spectacle is more important than the technical.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCultOfPersonality Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:28 pm

I think Sting can still go in the ring. For those that don't watch TNA, he lost his contract in a match against Magnus last night.

After he updated his facebook page with the quote, "The only thing that's for sure about STING is nothing's for sure". Maybe hes just teasing again, or maybe he's for real?

It would be epic to see Sting at Wrestlemania, a match with Taker is what many have dreamed of. The match would be slow as hell but would be a spectacle to witness.

TheCultOfPersonality

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Fri 24 Jan 2014, 1:31 pm

TheCultOfPersonality wrote:I think Sting can still go in the ring. For those that don't watch TNA, he lost his contract in a match against Magnus last night.

After he updated his facebook page with the quote, "The only thing that's for sure about STING is nothing's for sure". Maybe hes just teasing again, or maybe he's for real?

It would be epic to see Sting at Wrestlemania, a match with Taker is what many have dreamed of. The match would be slow as hell but would be a spectacle to witness.

Thanks for the spoilers mate...

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 24 Jan 2014, 1:39 pm

I'd much rather Kurt Angle came back and challenged Undertaker to a match, now there is a guy who could get another classic out of Taker

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:15 pm

Like I said on another thread, its the occasion, the spectacle, that will make it worthwhile.

Id like Angle or Hardy to try it. Angle should have a run where he tries Taker one Mania and then Lesnar the next

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:21 pm

I think the visual aspect of an Undertaker vs Sting match would be great but the match I believe couldn't possibly live up to the hype in 2014 so in that sense I think even though the match might go as meticulously planned, many would see it as a damp squib, in reality both Wrestlers would likely be happy with the match, the boys in the back who understood the type of match would get it and the agents would probably say they done it well but the fans, the people who truly matter,  they just wouldn't see it as anywhere near the build up, possibly akin to the Orton/HHH match at WM25

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:27 pm

I would reckon the way fans work is that the smarks would enjoy the spectacle, the lesser smarks who are just idiots would say they did because of the smarks, and the masses would enjoy it because everyone else did.

Brains like mulch, most of em

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:29 pm

I think whether the fans liked it or not they'd remain respectful and not break out a boring chant like they often do, I agree though that Stinger only has one opponent in the WWE

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by jai.roberts Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:31 pm

But with this potentially being takers last match, would you like sting to take the streak? Or for it to live on?

jai.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:35 pm

I'd break the streak but not give it to Sting

If it was Takers last match then I'd definitely take the streak but that means I wouldn't sign Sting up for the event.

Realistically if Sting became available I'd expect Taker to put off his last match by a year, I doubt it'd have to great an impact on the life he leads now.

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Fri 24 Jan 2014, 5:56 pm

I'd rather see slater vs taker than sting vs taker

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by ManUtdImy Fri 24 Jan 2014, 6:01 pm

That facebook quote is what Sting said in WCW when he debuted his crow gimmick.

ManUtdImy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 24 Jan 2014, 6:37 pm

I dont know if there is anyone in WWE I'd break the Streak for. Bryan is the only option, really. Punk doesnt need it now, Cena would be ludicrous. Wyatt is too early, as is Reigns.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 24 Jan 2014, 8:26 pm

I wouldn't say CM Punk doesn't need to beat The Undertaker, it would fit him perfectly, he truly would prove himself to be the best in the World with a victory like that.

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Fri 24 Jan 2014, 8:41 pm

I'm an old romantic  rose So I'd MTFO for sting vs taker at WM.

I stopped watching wrestling about 5 months ago but I'd buy Mania for this match alone!

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:18 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:I wouldn't say CM Punk doesn't need to beat The Undertaker, it would fit him perfectly, he truly would prove himself to be the best in the World with a victory like that.

Hes already reached the kind of level where he has a legacy and can main event with the likes of Lesnar and so on. Hes not gonna get any further for beating Taker.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 25 Jan 2014, 12:15 am

He's never had a major WrestleMania win, that in  itself means he'd gain incredibe momentum for such a win, plus I hate that train of thought that the only person who should beat The Undertaker is someone who needs it, that doesn't wash for me, if anyone needs a victory over Taker at WrestleMania to become a big deal then in my opinion they are not ready to be considered a big deal.

CM Punk as an example has proven time and again he can be the top face but he'll never be given that status as long as Cena is around unless he can show that he can do something that no-one else could do, a face CM Punk beating Undertaker at WrestleMania would in my opinion propel him past John Cena and finally allow the WWE the opportunity to experiment with Cena.

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by ManUtdImy Sat 25 Jan 2014, 10:28 am

Especially if he is retiring this year

ManUtdImy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 25 Jan 2014, 10:54 am

Kay Fabe wrote:He's never had a major WrestleMania win, that in  itself means he'd gain incredibe momentum for such a win, plus I hate that train of thought that the only person who should beat The Undertaker is someone who needs it, that doesn't wash for me, if anyone needs a victory over Taker at WrestleMania to become a big deal then in my opinion they are not ready to be considered a big deal.

CM Punk as an example has proven time and again he can be the top face but he'll never be given that status as long as Cena is around unless he can show that he can do something that no-one else could do, a face CM Punk beating Undertaker at WrestleMania would in my opinion propel him past John Cena and finally allow the WWE the opportunity to experiment with Cena.

Alongside the fact I don't think beating Taker would propel him over Cena, as the Taker win still won't wash with the Cena fans as some sort of turning point, I also think Bryan is far more worthy of it than Punk. Bryan still to me doesnt look like a man you'd put alongside Lesnar's and Batista's for matches, where Punk is a legitimate threat to those even with his size in comparison. Bryan beats Taker, well hes certainly more than B+ then.

The backing for Punk to become top face would come from within the WWE, so it wont need Taker defeated anyway as that means they're already backing him. It needs to be a way where Cena is moved aside.

Moreover, Punk is too impetuous and could easily retire in a year or two and ruin it

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 25 Jan 2014, 2:20 pm

I don't get where this idea comes from that CM Punk is too impetuous, the guy has lived and breathed Professional Wrestling most of his life and is probably the most protective guy in the locker-room in terms of his character, which by all accounts is more or less an extension of himself. CM Punk despite all the rumours has never shown any signs of calling it a day, even when the rumour mill was in overdrive he was the company workhorse.

Obviously the backing for Punk to become the #1 face would have to come from the WWE or it just wouldn't happen, you say a win over Taker wouldn't convince Cena fans that Punks the top man? I'd say they can't do anymore than they have with Punk outwith a Taker victory, half the crowd believe in him, the other half still believe in Cena, giving Punk that would give him a platform that no-one else in history has had, that in itself gives him the advantage and the momentum to finally take that step.

I'd be delighted if Daniel Bryan got the gig but if people are out there that think like you and believe he isn't in the same league as freaking Batista then there is no-way he could be considered at Undertakers level let alone beat him, I disagree with that completely though, Bryan has proven against historically bigger and more important names within the WWE in John Cena and Randy Orton that he is at their level so in that sense I wouldn't see a problem in pitting him against the likes of Batista, Cena is leagues and leagues above Batista so that'll always make him a viable opponent in my opinion.

Bryan vs Brock I'd agree would look like a mismatch, thats more to do with how freakish Brock is though than a slant at Bryan, Brock has power, size, speed, agility, great wrestling techniques and more than one stratagy, from a ring psychology point of view its difficult to see a clear weakness that gives Daniel Bryan a realistic opportunity where as against Orton, Batista, Cena, HHHH or even The Undertaker there's far more obvious weaknesses that could be exploited which in turn allows the fans to buy into the facr he can win against these guys.

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 25 Jan 2014, 5:22 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:I don't get where this idea comes from that CM Punk is too impetuous, the guy has lived and breathed Professional Wrestling most of his life and is probably the most protective guy in the locker-room in terms of his character, which by all accounts is more or less an extension of himself. CM Punk despite all the rumours has never shown any signs of calling it a day, even when the rumour mill was in overdrive he was the company workhorse.

Obviously the backing for Punk to become the #1 face would have to come from the WWE or it just wouldn't happen, you say a win over Taker wouldn't convince Cena fans that Punks the top man? I'd say they can't do anymore than they have with Punk outwith a Taker victory, half the crowd believe in him, the other half still believe in Cena, giving Punk that would give him a platform that no-one else in history has had, that in itself gives him the advantage and the momentum to finally take that step.

I'd be delighted if Daniel Bryan got the gig but if people are out there that think like you and believe he isn't in the same league as freaking Batista then there is no-way he could be considered at Undertakers level let alone beat him, I disagree with that completely though, Bryan has proven against historically bigger and more important names within the WWE in John Cena and Randy Orton that he is at their level so in that sense I wouldn't see a problem in pitting him against the likes of Batista, Cena is leagues and leagues above Batista so that'll always make him a viable opponent in my opinion.

Bryan vs Brock I'd agree would look like a mismatch, thats more to do with how freakish Brock is though than a slant at Bryan, Brock has power, size, speed, agility, great wrestling techniques and more than one stratagy, from a ring psychology point of view its difficult to see a clear weakness that gives Daniel Bryan a realistic opportunity where as against Orton, Batista, Cena, HHHH or even The Undertaker there's far more obvious weaknesses that could be exploited which in turn allows the fans to buy into the facr he can win against these guys.

Its not ability Kay Fabe, I think Batista is generally a nonsense of a star, but they have yet to present Bryan as someone who could beat a musclebound freak like Lesnar or Batista. Punk, whilst smaller, is now at a level where fans realistically buy the threat. Bryan isnt at that stage. I think the Streak would be far more useful to Bryan than to Punk.

You're taking it on ability and stature, I quite literally mean size and physicality.

I dont think it would massively affect the rise and power of Punk. The fact is that Punk is presented as a man who could beat the two aforementioned "monsters". He's a proven main eventer, he has carried the company and the title for a ridiculous length of time. Hes a way ahead of Bryan.

I'm not arguing that it wouldnt do Punk some good, don't get me wrong, but he doesnt need it to get anywhere, whereas Bryan very well might.

On this argument, you could say Cena needs it because whilst his has an obviously incredible career, people would never hold him in the same light as some of the real greats. He never wins over all the fans. By kayfabe standards, thats the one thing he needs to achieve now.

Its not that I completely disagree or anything, but I don't think its as big a deal for Punk as it would be for Bryan. It would be useful, but I dont think it would be defining.

Impetuous possibly not the best word, volatile maybe better.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 25 Jan 2014, 5:34 pm

Im not taking it on ability, I kinda think I know what you're saying, while I'd agree on Lesnar I'd still disagree on Batista, if Bryan can been considered an equal against Cena and the likely favourite against Big Show and guys like Ryback then I dont think someone like Batista would be deemed out of his reach. I can see it with Lesnar but he is a far different beast than Batista

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down