The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forget speeders......Time to start penalising slow drivers ???

+12
westisbest
kingraf
The Fourth Lion
rIck_dAgless
Mad for Chelsea
Lumbering_Jack
TopHat24/7
JuliusHMarx
Mind the windows Tino.
seanmichaels
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Forget speeders......Time to start penalising slow drivers ??? Empty Forget speeders......Time to start penalising slow drivers ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Coming home from work the other day.......I was stuck as everybody else was (15 car tailback) by some chick doing 22 mph in a 30 zone..(Think it was a chick it usually is!!)...30 Isn't fast for heaven sake surely you can keep up with that.........Next thing a car pulls out four back from her and tries to overtake the lot luckily the 2nd car behind her made some space to avoid a head-on......My adrenalin was pumping let alone how there's must have been....

I do 38 It's dangerous and I get points and a fine.......She does 22 has everybody behind her getting angry and making some do stupid things...Apparently It's not....Time for police to pull over stragglers and say ante up or get..........

In my old age I've become less patient and at the moment when someone holds me up at night doing a stupid speed I tend to put my main beam on so they get the message!!

Am I a knob or do I have a point ??..................Or both !! Cool 

Time to start penalising slow drivers..........In my opinion

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Forget speeders......Time to start penalising slow drivers ??? Empty Re: Forget speeders......Time to start penalising slow drivers ???

Post by Rowley Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Does not really answer your question Truss but I have visions of you sat behind the wheel of a flat back jeep when I picture you driving.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Forget speeders......Time to start penalising slow drivers ??? Empty Re: Forget speeders......Time to start penalising slow drivers ???

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:34 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Am I a knob or do I have a point ??..................Or both !! Cool 

Time to start penalising slow drivers..........In my opinion

Both.

In all seriousness you have a point. Maybe not for a 30 but I frequently see cars doing 40 on a dual carriageway which is really bad.

I was a late learner (25) but passed with no minors and touch wood haven't had an accident or even a slight bump in nearly 10 years. I had a really good teacher who said you should always drive to the speed limit and going too slow was just as dangerous as going too fast. One of the things that has stuck with me.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:36 pm

Rowley wrote:Does not really answer your question Truss but I have visions of you sat behind the wheel of a flat back jeep when I picture you driving.

With massive cow horns on the front?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:39 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Rowley wrote:Does not really answer your question Truss but I have visions of you sat behind the wheel of a flat back jeep when I picture you driving.

Cow horns on the front, Garth Brooks on the stereo.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:41 pm

Rowley wrote:

A dead deer strapped across the bonnet.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:43 pm

Rowley wrote:

...and 12 bags of cheesburgers on the passenger seat oh... and one of those Cola's that is so big the truck leans to one side (although that's probably offset by the bulk on the driver's seat)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:47 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Rowley wrote:

...and 12 bags of cheesburgers on the passenger seat oh... and one of those Cola's that is so big the truck leans to one side (although that's probably offset by the bulk on the driver's seat)

12.......I prefer odd numbers.........At least only one on here thinks I'm a knob so far......Expected after six posts the number would be higher...

I'll give it time..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:50 pm

All driving knobs pale in comparison to a BMW w@nker. Scourge of the planet they are.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:51 pm

seanmichaels wrote:All driving knobs pale in comparison to a BMW w@nker. Scourge of the planet they are.

TopHat has one.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:52 pm

seanmichaels wrote:All driving knobs pale in comparison to a BMW w@nker. Scourge of the planet they are.

TopHat is one.  

Fixed that for you

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Not sure how Tophat fits into one..Given the picture on his twitter..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:54 pm

TopHat has one.  

I can imagine. Saw an outrageous manouveure by one guy yesterday. I don't often wish death on people but if he'd have lost control and run into a tree I would have been happy (provided no birds / humans were also hurt).

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:02 pm

seanmichaels wrote:

TopHat has one.  

(provided no birds / humans were also hurt).

I don't know.....Wouldn't have minded the bird I went out with who never stopped talking about Madonna standing in front of the tree....... Wink 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:05 pm

You can get fined for going too slow on a motorway I think.

Yes, they are a pain, but if you're stuck behind someone going 22mph instead of 30, for 15 mins, you only lose about 4 minutes. If that happens twice a year, it's not that much to get upset over.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:07 pm

Twice a year.......You don't get out much do you ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:40 pm

There was a traffic incident on a motorway many years ago where an old dear was causing a major tailback by slowing down at every exit. Officers pulled her over and asked what she was doing. She explained that when she saw the markers telling you there's 300, 200 and 100 yds to go, she thought it meant you had to change down in 3rd, 2nd and 1st gear.

Woman rings her husband and says, "If you're driving down the M1 my love, be careful as there's a news report saying that one car is driving the wrong way". Her husband replies "One car going the wrong way?!?!? There's hundreds of 'em!"

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:11 pm

F U - Tino, michaels, Dave AND Truss!!  raspberry 

I've actually driven much better/more conscientiously since I got the BMW as it's the first time I've drive a car worth anything so don't want to risk damaging it. Was much more reckless when hooning around in my Astra!!

And Truss, it's a 5 series, so plenty of room thank-you raspberry

Back to the OP, totally agree. Extremely frustrating AND dangerous. Knew someone who failed their test over it. Wouldn't do more than 45 in a 60. Point being they were driving so slowly other road users were having to take evasive/defensive action which is an automatic fail.

Many countries have a speed collar on the motorway, for example, which I think we need to introduce. 65 mph if in either of the two outside lanes. If commercial traffic (e.g. trucks) are limited to 55 mph then it also solves the problem of their slow over-taking causing massive tailbacks as they'd be banned from exiting the 'slow lane'. Would also increase the speed limit to 80 mph.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:12 pm

DAVE667 wrote:There was a traffic incident on a motorway many years ago where an old dear was causing a major tailback by slowing down at every exit. Officers pulled her over and asked what she was doing. She explained that when she saw the markers telling you there's 300, 200 and 100 yds to go, she thought it meant you had to change down in 3rd, 2nd and 1st gear.

Woman rings her husband and says, "If you're driving down the M1 my love, be careful as there's a news report saying that one car is driving the wrong way". Her husband replies "One car going the wrong way?!?!? There's hundreds of 'em!"

thumbsup  ...Woman rings husband and says I've got good news and bad news for you.......Good news is the air bag works..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Twice a year.......You don't get out much do you ??

I do, but I rarely get stuck behind slow drivers.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:43 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:F U - Tino, michaels, Dave AND Truss!!  raspberry 

I was just pointing out that you had a BMW. I wasn't suggesting you were a knob or a w*nker.

I'm going to report you for being rude.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:51 pm

I was just pointing out that you had a BMW.  I wasn't suggesting you were a knob or a w*nker.

He's been rude which means you're now justified calling him a w*nker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:52 pm

DAVE667 wrote:

I was just pointing out that you had a BMW.  I wasn't suggesting you were a knob or a w*nker.

He's been rude which means you're now justified calling him a w*nker

He already knows I think he is a w*nker. I was just trying to claim the moral high ground.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Well, you failed!

And don't try playing coy, you knew exactly what you were doing.......... raspberry

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:57 pm

I can't believe Tino suggested he is a w*****

We went past the suggesting stage ages ago..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:05 pm

Laugh

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:25 pm

I cycle to work, I love it when people get annoyed behind me, it's hilarious.

People need to relax. It is not a right to use the roads. If everyone got along we would all get to where we are going faster.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:28 pm

Thought with all your money...You'd have a chauffeur driven car.....Or helicopter..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:46 pm

I do have a car, but cycling is far more enjoyable.

Statistics do show however that those who cycle to work, and also own a car, earn on average more than those who just drive. And we are better looking too.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:56 pm

Think that's heavily weighted towards London and all the Londoners that cycle to their high paid jobs in the City and West End. Strip them out and I doubt the stat holds water........Whistle

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:57 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:I do have a car, but cycling is far more enjoyable.

Statistics do show however that those who cycle to work, and also own a car, earn on average more than those who just drive. And we are better looking too.

what about those of us who cycle, but don't own a car? While I don't expect to earn more than Truss, I hope I'm at least better looking...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:04 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Think that's heavily weighted towards London and all the Londoners that cycle to their high paid jobs in the City and West End.  Strip them out and I doubt the stat holds water........Whistle

I'm looking at cycling as a whole in the UK. They shall remain.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:05 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:

what about those of us who cycle, but don't own a car? While I don't expect to earn more than Truss, I hope I'm at least better looking...

I think that makes you slightly better than those who get the bus or other methods of public transport.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:06 pm

Skewed stats lose potency. With ref to yourself it is meaningless.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:07 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:While I don't expect to earn more than Truss, I hope I'm at least better looking...

So long as you have a nose, two functioning eyes and weigh less than 450lbs you stand a good chance.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:10 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:While I don't expect to earn more than Truss, I hope I'm at least better looking...

So long as you have a nose, two functioning eyes and weigh less than 450lbs you stand a good chance.

d*mn

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:12 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:

I think that makes you slightly better than those who get the bus or other methods of public transport.

have I had my rant about the hundreds of Mums who go to pick up their kid from school at lunchtime in huge 4x4 (which then contains a grand total of two people in it) and think it's acceptable that they all park in the bike lane recently?  mad 

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:20 pm

Cars annoy me more and more now I cycle. Aside from the fact I have been attacked by 2 car drivers (one very recently), they just seem to have no concept of looking after the environment. Now I'm not going to get all hippy on them, but do they really need a supercharged range rover to sit in traffic for 3 miles on the way to work.

As for cycle lanes, I tend not to use them, they are full of crap. My commute consists of mainly 30mph roads so I just plonk myself in the middle of the lane. Those behind can wait. Too many bad experiences to position myself to the side.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:20 pm

Truss isn't that good looking.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Cars annoy me more and more now I cycle. Aside from the fact I have been attacked by 2 car drivers (one very recently), they just seem to have no concept of looking after the environment. Now I'm not going to get all hippy on them, but do they really need a supercharged range rover to sit in traffic for 3 miles on the way to work.

As for cycle lanes, I tend not to use them, they are full of crap. My commute consists of mainly 30mph roads so I just plonk myself in the middle of the lane. Those behind can wait. Too many bad experiences to position myself to the side.
I doubt the fact that you ride a bike was the reason, I reckon it's because you exude the very essence if dickheadedness and please-puunch-me-in-the-face-ability

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:56 pm

He did try and punch me in the face, he missed by a country mile though. Really telegraphed his shots. Plus my defence was Mayweather esque.

I think I annoyed him at the point I poked him in the face. But he was driving like a moron.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:00 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Plus my defence was Mayweather esque

Surely it would be like Ward if you were on your bike.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:01 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:He did try and punch me in the face, he missed by a country mile though. Really telegraphed his shots. Plus my defence was Mayweather esque.

I think I annoyed him at the point I poked him in the face. But he was driving like a moron.
Did Ricky Hatton really try and assault you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:11 pm

rick_dagless wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:Plus my defence was Mayweather esque

Surely it would be like Ward if you were on your bike.

I put my bike down. I was aware of the imminent violence.

I was still at a major disadvantage as people who have worn road shoes will attest. Fatties like top hat wouldn't understand.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:He did try and punch me in the face,.

I love the guy...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:He did try and punch me in the face,.

I love the guy...

He missed and ended up ripping his work pants.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:20 pm

Pity...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:17 am

Is it only "chicks" who drive slowly, Truss..?   I think there could be other social groups involved.  I'll come to that in a minute.

Let's clear up one simple issue first.  The speed limit is exactly that.  It's a limit.  Not a target.

Now, I'm not above going a teensy bit over the limit when it's safe and reasonable to do so.  Even a speed camera will usually be set to give you 10% over the odds as a sort of "benefit of the doubt" thing.  But in the vicinity of schools, ice cream vans, horses, etc, I'll slow down until I'm past them.  But I was recently flashed by some wally behind me for slowing down as I approached a level crossing where the gate was already coming down before I got there..!!   The daft git behind me wanted me to race the barrier.  No chance, Bub.

So, drive with consideration for other road users, but that also means taking into account what's in front of you, as well as the overwhelming imperative of the bloke behind's hurry to get from A to B.

For my money though, most slow driving is not done by "chicks", but by my fellow senior citizens and there are a couple of reasons for this that I know of.

Firstly, by virtue of the fact that they are old, the elderly have slower responses when it comes to reacting to situations.  Wait a few years and you'll find that out for yourself.  Trust me.

Often, they drive at a speed where they know that if anything happens suddenly in front of them they will be able to respond.  That isn't driving to get up your nose, it's simply being safe and responsible.  You may care to consider that people who have reached old age know a thing or two about doing things in a way that increases the likelihood of staying alive.  The cemeteries are full of people who didn't.

Another factor you may consider, is that many elderly motorists, who have bought new cars in the last few years, may be driving a vehicle that is far too technically advanced for them. 

Just think..... a lot of elderly drivers may have never even taken a driving test in their lives.  Many learned to drive in the army during National Service and were given a licence when they were demobbed without ever being tested.  They have driven all their lives by habit acquired in the 1940's - 50's, and now, at an age when they are at their least capable of adapting to the fast pace of technological and social advancement, they find themselves behind the wheel of a vehicle that some of them can barely comprehend.

Do they drive carefully and slowly..?  You betcha.

This begs the question then, should the elderly be required to take a special senior citizens driving test at say, age 70 to determine if they are still capable of driving.?   I for one would not be averse to taking one (when the time comes, which no, it isn't quite yet, you cheeky sods).

But of course, there would be politics involved in that sort of government decision, and as discussing such things has been declared verboten by our glorious leaders, I won't stray into that aspect.

The proposal to penalise slow drivers suggests the abolition of the speed limit, to be replaced by a "speed corridor", where motorists must not drive below or above a range of set lower and higher speeds. I'd be interested to hear what Truss suggests that corridor should be.

In the end, I am the first to agree that to be stuck behind a slow driver is an irritation, but it's not the end of the world.  Grit your teeth, have a little patience and you'll get to where you're going.

Perhaps it should be borne in mind that actually, no, you don't own the road and other people may have a reason for not turning into James Hunt every time they nip down to Morrison's to get a pint of milk, or to drop the grandchildren off at school.

Sometimes, slow is better.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:56 pm

The Fourth Lion wrote:Is it only "chicks" who drive slowly, Truss..?   I think there could be other social groups involved.  I'll come to that in a minute.

Let's clear up one simple issue first.  The speed limit is exactly that.  It's a limit.  Not a target.

Hell no, totally the wrong way of looking at it. Otherwise it'd be permissible to dawdle along at 10 mph all the time......

The speed limit is the maximum speed consider perfectly safe and appropriate to drive in standard driving conditions. Therefore that is the speed you should be driving. You may then revise your driving speed downwards as may be appropriate for the purveying conditions e.g. fog, snow, extreme heavy rain.

Unless there are adverse conditions, there is absolutely no acceptable reason to not drive at the speed limit. If you're not comfortable doing so, you shouldn't be on the road.

The same people that fanny around at 20-25 in a 30 are always the same people that slam their breaks on round corners or in the face of approaching traffic in the opposing lane. Ninnies, the lot of them.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:03 pm

Agree with Toppy..........If you can't drive 30 on a main road........

You shouldn't be driving....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next