The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why don`t TNA guys jump ship?

+7
The_Enigma
Dolphin Ziggler
JoshSansom
crippledtart
Adam D
Samo
talkingpoint
11 posters

Go down

Why don`t TNA guys jump ship? Empty Why don`t TNA guys jump ship?

Post by talkingpoint Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:24 am

There is always speculation circulating around the internet that TNA will fold imminently and are hemorrhaging money. Alongside these rumours there are always the reports that morale in the locker room is low and the TNA roster are worried. Added to this the fact that AJ has left the company (for the time being at least), Hogan is gone and now Sting looks to be leaving too, all point to a company in disarray. But if all this is true, why aren`t more of TNA`s top talent jumping ship and trying their luck in the WWE?

Admittedly for some it wouldn`t work out - AJ was offered a derisive contract supposedly only 20% of what he earned in TNA, Daniels has tried out for WWE before and failed, as has Aries (who was thinking of retiring from pro-wrestling before signing for TNA) and Anderson. But what about guys like Roode, Storm, Kazarian, Chris Sabin, Joe, Bully Ray and Magnus? These guys all have unique looks and something different and special about them. If guys like Daniel Bryan can make it in the WWE, I don`t see what`s holding guys like Sabin back (other than perhaps WWE wouldn`t want to take the risk as he is injury prone) and Joe`s size wouldn`t hold him back either, as evidenced by Bray Wyatt. Now gimmick and charisma all play a part in how over someone gets. I`m not saying these guys would be as big as Bryan, but nevertheless a decent career in the mid-card of the WWE must be better than continuing on in a company that is never likely to grow and prosper? With Bully`s reinvention of himself in recent years and his talent on the mic, I`m sure the WWE would give him another run.

Which leads me to think that all is not as bad as may appear in the world of TNA. If guys like Roode, Joe and Bully Ray are committed to the company then they must have their reasons. They certainly have had ample opportunity over the past few years. If the American Wolves have signed for TNA in the midst of all their turmoil then they must have been persuaded by something, either something TNA are going to do, or something TNA already have. Maybe they don`t want to end up in midcard obscurity and think they have more chance of recognition in TNA? Maybe the WWE weren`t prepared to entertain giving them a decent enough contract? Whatever the reason they chose to go to TNA.

Rumours of TNA`s demise have been going around for years and intensify when the company appears to be going through a hard patch. Nevertheless TNA has always survived and carried on (for better or worse). I think the company will continue into 2014 and I think there are some positive changes beginning to happen with the product. As long as they can secure a location to film impact! at, then I think the company can streamline and begin investing once again in growing the product. There is still questionable decisions being made by TNA, some things I`d like to see them resolve sooner rather than later - such as keeping to their traditional strong holds on the East Coast rather than playing venues where their fanbase is weak or untested. But the lack of a mass exodus from their top stars indicate to me that the company is not as in bad shape as the rumours would have us believe.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Why don`t TNA guys jump ship? Empty Re: Why don`t TNA guys jump ship?

Post by Samo Sun 19 Jan 2014, 8:03 am

I think its just a case of WWE's roster being so vast already, there just isnt space for them. Out of all the WWE main event guys, I would pick all of them over anyone from TNA, except maybe ADR. When your upper card consists of Cena, Bryan, Sheamus, Punk, Lesnar, Orton, Batista, Alberto Del Rio, Big Show, Ryback, Mark Henry and even HHH on his day, and a mid card with Kofi, Miz, Cesaro, Swagger, Ambrose Reigns and Rollins, The Wyatts, Cody Rhodes, Sandow, Ziggler, Big E and Christian, there really isnt any room for them.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 19 Jan 2014, 8:23 am

Samo wrote:I think its just a case of WWE's roster being so vast already, there just isnt space for them.  Out of all the WWE main event guys, I would pick all of them over anyone from TNA, except maybe ADR.  When your upper card consists of Cena, Bryan, Sheamus, Punk, Lesnar, Orton, Batista, Alberto Del Rio, Big Show, Ryback, Mark Henry and even HHH on his day, and a mid card with Kofi, Miz, Cesaro, Swagger, Ambrose Reigns and Rollins, The Wyatts, Cody Rhodes, Sandow, Ziggler, Big E and Christian, there really isnt any room for them.

Absolute tosh!

You think that Sheamus, big show, ryback, ADR and Christian are all better than the TNA main roster. Now I would happily admit that tab would take these guys into heir rosters but that would be for name value, not because they are better by any stretch of the imagination.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sun 19 Jan 2014, 8:41 am

They might not be better wrestlers, but they have a wealth of experience and can be called upon to fill a main event slot if need be. You cant just throw a guy into the uppercard without seeing how he can handle himself infront of a 10,000+ crowd. I've no doubt that given time these guys could be up there in the WWE, but they arent getting any younger. Aries, Roode and Storm are 35, 37 and 36 respectively.

Jeff Hardy could go straight into that position because he has already had such experience. Anderson could make the jump no problem, but backstage politics would nip the in the bud. Magnus and Sabin are the only 2 good enough, and young enough that WWE could probably build into main event level.

Doesnt matter how good they are, WWE wouldnt take a gamble when they've plenty talent they can reliably call on.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Sun 19 Jan 2014, 9:52 am

WWE has a policy of looking to create its own talent from scratch, rather than signing TNA wrestlers. There is simply no interest in them, unless they are particularly exceptional wrestlers who can make a difference to business, ie those who are so good they would command a main event position in WWE.

There is nothing about Bobby Roode, AJ Styles, Bully Ray, etc to suggest that any of them would be a better fit in WWE main events than CM Punk, John Cena, Randy Orton, Daniel Bryan and Brock Lesnar.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Sun 19 Jan 2014, 9:56 am

Great article by the way, and I think it would make a really good discussion on the podcast if we're allowed to use it

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Sun 19 Jan 2014, 10:24 am

In terms of talent in TNA if they have a WWE past and would make money as a nostalgia act then I think they would be interested (e.g. Bully Ray, Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy...)

Other than that I am not sure who they would be really keen on (barring Sting for other reasons). I could see them bringing in someone like Samoa Joe short term if they felt that programmes with Punk and Bryan would draw fairly immediately.

Other than that would someone like Magnus/Sabin be a better option than some of the talent in developmental?... Not sure.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 19 Jan 2014, 12:07 pm

Ignoring the discussion of who would be worth having in wwe, I don't think it's a sign of anything to be honest. Wwe create their own talent, have a plethora of capable talent already and don't need TNA's "stars".

Considering that they'd most likely have to build them up from the midcard; their ages are not conductive to wwe policy so hold little to no interest.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sun 19 Jan 2014, 12:19 pm

crippledtart wrote:Great article by the way, and I think it would make a really good discussion on the podcast if we're allowed to use it

please be my guest! Very Happy 

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 19 Jan 2014, 12:37 pm

Can I put it on the journal?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:05 pm

Adam D wrote:Can I put it on the journal?

yes. Very Happy 

As far as WWE programming goes, I don`t see there being any problem in taking a few TNA guys - they have Raw, SD, NXT, Superstars (?). They have a lot of hours of TV a week, I`m sure they could be used on the undercard or introduced in NXT.

As far as TNA talent goes, if the likes of Joe, Roode or Magnus came knocking on WWE`s door why wouldn`t they consider them? I`m not saying they`d win the WWE title or main event WM, but I think they could hold the Intercontinental or US titles no problem. I personally think Roode could go all the way, he`s probably the most complete wrestler TNA currently have imo. Magnus is a bit of an unknown variable as he`s only just reached main event level and hasn`t defended his title properly yet. But I think Magnus could get into the upper mid card of the WWE, although being British there would be a glass ceiling on him. I don`t think the WWE are ready for a British WWE champion.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:30 pm

I dont think its that some of them couldnt make it, its just that WWE wouldnt care to consider them

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Enigma Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:40 pm

If Kassius Ohno (That's Chris Hero to you Indy Folk!) was released because he struggled to adapt to WWE's style or improve his conditioning, what chance has Samoa Joe got? He's a shadow of his former-self in-ring ability wise, and for any of you that disagree, watch anything from 2005-2009 and you'll see that he's been coasting for the past couple of years. Now what's interesting is that his contract is up later this year, like most of you, I've read the gossip that he's in-line for another push and a shot at the title so we'll see what Joe's thoughts are on TNA when it comes to renew.

Admittedly it's a shame, but Christopher Daniels & Austin Aries, although fantastic wrestlers, would arguably be considered 'Too Old' to make a move to WWE at this time. Plus to add to that, from what I've read, Austin Aries can be a real pain when it comes to backstage politics. Speaking of which, although great signings, the only reason why The American Wolves have signed-up with TNA is because Davey Richards has burnt all his ties with Ring Of Honor. Again he's another who's known for running his mouth backstage. Eddie Edwards on the other-hand. World Championship Material! So picking out talent from the original topic, I'd arguably say that Bobby Roode would make a fantastic addition to any wrestling promotion out there.

You also have to factor in the Jeff Jarrett situation. If this new wrestling promotion takes off with a national TV Deal, perhaps some of the original TNA stars may look to jump ship. From what I've read, there's a fair few who seem to like Jeff Jarrett.

Lastly, I don't know if any of you have heard, but AJ Styles is releasing a 'TNA Shoot' which is released tomorrow. Highspots have posted a couple of teasers which I will leave here...

The_Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by david lee Mon 20 Jan 2014, 12:58 am

tna wrestlers dont need wwe if tna go bust there are plenty of othee wrestling companys they could join
wrestling is everywhere

david lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 20 Jan 2014, 2:02 am

I think most TNA wrestlers bar a few would like to go to WWE and if WWE wanted to they could poach most of the roster, it's a simple matter of WWE not having any need for any of the TNA guys. I think because most people who we discuss wrestling with watch TNA or have at least fairly good knowledge of their wrestlers, we forget that WWE would have to establish almost all those that would come from TNA bar those that have been in WWE before or Sting. Why would they take a guy in his late 30s without any experience of the high level of wrestling, who has only limited drawing powers, may not fit with the WWE style and likely command a larger wage as well as expecting a quicker rise when they can sign a relative unknown and develop him themselves and have a much longer time frame to do so.
I'm not convinced that unless young enough or already 'WWE famous' there is any need for WWE to poach talent.
I also wouldn't be surprised if there is a slight scepticism of jumping ships to WWE considering their treatment of Chris Harris, as well as other Indie talent and to a lesser extent; Christian.
I do think this question will be asked more if TNA continue to struggle financially and contracts start running out, many of the older guys may be more open to interest from WWE if there is any because it could be their last chance and the money offered might be better than fighting for spots in the indies.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 20 Jan 2014, 4:10 am

The_Enigma wrote:If Kassius Ohno (That's Chris Hero to you Indy Folk!) was released because he struggled to adapt to WWE's style or improve his conditioning, what chance has Samoa Joe got? He's a shadow of his former-self in-ring ability wise, and for any of you that disagree, watch anything from 2005-2009 and you'll see that he's been coasting for the past couple of years. Now what's interesting is that his contract is up later this year, like most of you, I've read the gossip that he's in-line for another push and a shot at the title so we'll see what Joe's thoughts are on TNA when it comes to renew.

I think a lot of that is due to the way he`s been booked in recent years. When he first came to TNA he was given a streak and booked as a complete monster who was the perfect cross between x-division and heavyweight. I hope TNA do something meaningful with him again this year as I still believe he is a great talent.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 20 Jan 2014, 3:07 pm

In Genesis Part 1 it was mentioned TNA has a "major" new investor (in the segment where Dixie talks to the Wolves about a try-out match).

If this is true, rather than just a part of the storyline, it could be a sign TNA isn't as financially crippled as some think.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Mon 20 Jan 2014, 3:53 pm

I think the major investor is definitely a work. The more I think about it the more I think Adam's deduction that it is Jeff Jarrett is going to prove to be correct.

The signing though may in itself be an indication that things aren't as bad as feared though!

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:12 pm

This topic is discussed on tonight's podcast at http://v2wrestling.podomatic.com/entry/2014-01-20T14_07_26-08_00

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down