The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most Capped International of all time

+21
Taylorman
GloriousEmpire
Mr Bounce
whocares
aucklandlaurie
Scratch
quinsforever
The Saint
majesticimperialman
Biltong
Golden
Notch
rodders
geoff998rugby
asoreleftshoulder
Cyril
lostinwales
Scrumpy
kiakahaaotearoa
ScarletSpiderman
GunsGerms
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Will O'Driscoll become the most capped player of all time?

Most Capped International of all time Vote_lcap36%Most Capped International of all time Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 10 ]
Most Capped International of all time Vote_lcap14%Most Capped International of all time Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 4 ]
Most Capped International of all time Vote_lcap50%Most Capped International of all time Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 14 ]

Total Votes : 28

Poll closed

Most Capped International of all time Empty Most Capped International of all time

Post by GunsGerms Wed 08 Jan 2014, 11:30 am

George Gregan - 139 caps
Brian O'Driscoll - 136 caps (8 Lions caps)

Simple question: O'Driscoll retires after the six nations. He has potentially 5 games left. By then will he have become the most capped player of all time?

5 games to go, 4 required to break the record.

I understand there are lots of trolls that fester around O'Driscoll articles so I will prempt some inevitable and highly amusing jokes/obversations:

Not if Davies gets picked instead. Ha ha.
Not if Gatland drops him. Ha ha.
He wouldnt have had half those caps if he was a Kiwi/Saffer/Aussie.....
etc.

Whatever you think of the man his haul of 136 to date is pretty good. The last home game in the 6N this year v Italy sold out fairly quickly this year. Probably to bid farewell to the great man.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Most Capped International of all time Empty Re: Most Capped International of all time

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 08 Jan 2014, 11:37 am

He could easily break the record, and the IRFU could ensure that by benching him up and only letting him on for the final minute of each match.

However, seeing as he is most likely going to be starting all the games if fit, the real question is can he avoid getting himself injured before he breaks the record.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Most Capped International of all time Empty Re: Most Capped International of all time

Post by GunsGerms Wed 08 Jan 2014, 11:39 am

Yep that is the real question. However, it is fair to say that although he does get injured a lot he has actually missed very few 6 nations matches in his career. They will wheel him out one way or another.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 08 Jan 2014, 11:51 am

It's an incredible achievement. However, I'd be very surprised if BOD didn't come under the same criticism that Gregan experienced during the final games of his test career. Much will depend on the results of Ireland. If Ireland lose games then the louder the calls will be to axe him and think of the future. If Ireland play like they did in the first half against NZ then the calls will be loud and clear for him to be wrapped up in cotton wool and unwrapped for 2015.

Sport is cruel like that to its stars who have longevity in the game. Then again I think it far worse to be a player like Juan Smith or Richard Kahui who have their promising careers cut short by longevity. Some players get to go out on a high like a World Cup win and others prolong themselves in the game and never quite reach the heights of their wonder years.

Inevitably, if a player has done enough he will be remembered accordingly in due time. ROG hung around on the bench (the selectors never get the blame though. It's always the player's fault!) and many might think the plug could've been pulled quicker. Others might think it's premature.

I don't think BOD will care about the most number of caps. I think he is the type of player who wants to be remembered for contributing to Ireland winning the 6N. The number of caps won't mean anything if he doesn't win after getting the record.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jan 2014, 12:21 pm

I think he will for the time being, next in line I think Richie McCaw could be the most capped player. It would be an outstanding achievement considering how much damage his body takes in his position.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 08 Jan 2014, 12:22 pm

IronMike wrote:I think he will for the time being, next in line I think Richie McCaw could be the most capped player. It would be an outstanding achievement considering how much damage his body takes in his position.

Really? McCaw is 15-20 caps behind isnt he? Will he really last that long?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 08 Jan 2014, 1:03 pm

McCaw cannot be killed by conventional weapons. He will be there in 2015.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 08 Jan 2014, 1:05 pm

Should have had more Lions caps IMO.

Robbed by foul play and a Turnip.  thumbsup 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 08 Jan 2014, 1:28 pm

Does BOD's count include Lions caps?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 08 Jan 2014, 1:35 pm

lostinwales wrote:Does BOD's count include Lions caps?

Yes. 8 caps.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 08 Jan 2014, 1:37 pm

Lions caps shouldn't count as they're not available to all.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 08 Jan 2014, 1:40 pm

Cyril wrote:Lions caps shouldn't count as they're not available to all.

That doesn't matter,a player who isn't playing for the Lions can get caps on a summer tour for his country instead.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 08 Jan 2014, 1:42 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:

That doesn't matter,a player who isn't playing for the Lions can get caps on a summer tour for his country instead.

Exactly, plus summer tour caps are arguably easier to get than Lions caps.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 08 Jan 2014, 1:42 pm

They are Internationals and therefore they count.

He will play on merit because the 2 guys being lined up, as Irish replacements, are either not eligible this year (Payne) or are young and still learning (Henshaw)

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 08 Jan 2014, 1:44 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Yes, but they're not true 'international' caps. Just my opinion.

It's like some international sides capping Baa Baas games and others not. Should they count too?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 08 Jan 2014, 1:46 pm

No BaBa games dont count. Some Ireland games are non cap games too such as the one v Fiji a couple of years ago.

Of course Lions internationals count. Any international match you get a cap for counts.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 08 Jan 2014, 1:49 pm

What do they do with all those Caps?  Very Happy 

You can only wear one at a time.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 08 Jan 2014, 1:53 pm

If he continues to play like he did against Connacht then he doesn't deserve another cap let alone 5.

If his body holds out he'll break the record, I'm sure that was on reason he stayed on.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 08 Jan 2014, 2:01 pm

GunsGerms wrote:No BaBa games dont count. Some Ireland games are non cap games too such as the one v Fiji a couple of years ago.

Of course Lions internationals count. Any international match you get a cap for counts.
Wales have capped Baa Baa games so I guess those are included in their players' stats.

I'm sure he'll break the record (injuries permitting) but he needs another 12 caps to do it properly.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 08 Jan 2014, 2:10 pm

Cyril wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:No BaBa games dont count. Some Ireland games are non cap games too such as the one v Fiji a couple of years ago.

Wales have capped Baa Baa games so I guess those are included in their players' stats.

I'm sure he'll break the record (injuries permitting) but he needs another 12 caps to do it properly.

Ah but you will have to take George Gregans caps against the Lions off his tally to.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 08 Jan 2014, 2:46 pm

I definitely think there is no way he will stay on past the Italy game, so he needs to stay fit.

I'm going to that, hope to say goodbye to a legend...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 08 Jan 2014, 2:58 pm

Wouldnt be that confident of him staying fit for 4 of 5 matches. However im sure theyll strap him up and send him out like they have done in the past.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 08 Jan 2014, 3:01 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Ah but you will have to take George Gregans caps against the Lions off his tally to.
Good point. Gregan was capped by his actual country though rather than a rag-tag, invitational jolly though.

For fairness we can strike these from the record too. How many times did Gregan face the Lions?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 08 Jan 2014, 3:16 pm

Cyril - If a Cap for the Lions doesn't count and a cap against the Baabaas doesn't count, tehn it is fair against the Lions shouldn't either.

He could only have played 3 games v the lions tops.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 08 Jan 2014, 3:41 pm

Yep, both shouldn't count. Agreed.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 08 Jan 2014, 3:51 pm

He played all three tests in 2001.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 08 Jan 2014, 3:56 pm

They both should be counted because if you are playing for the Lions then you cant play for your country so Gregan would have an unfair advantage in that respect.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 08 Jan 2014, 3:57 pm

Doesn't really matter whether we believe Lions caps should count or not, they're in the record books.

In my personal view Gregan stayed too long, same with O'Driscoll.

John Smit stayed too long as well.

Same thing with Sachin Tendulkar for the Indian cricket team.

Loyalty to a senior player often diminshes their achievements due to coaches not wnting to or ving the guys to get rid of players.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jan 2014, 4:03 pm

At least it isnt as cheap as gifting Martyn Williams a cheap 100th cap as a replacement in a BaaBaas game.

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 08 Jan 2014, 4:34 pm

Will Bod actualy play in the 6ns? I would of thought that he would not play in the 6ns, seeing that he would be retiring shortly afterwards.

Surely it would be in (HIS BEST INTREST) not too play in the 6ns and let Joe Smidt build a team for the RWC 2015.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 08 Jan 2014, 4:42 pm

I had no idea that whocares fella on here had a few caps for France.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 08 Jan 2014, 4:44 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Will Bod actualy play in the 6ns?  I would of thought that he would not play in the 6ns, seeing that he would be retiring shortly afterwards.

Surely it would be in (HIS BEST INTREST) not too play in the 6ns and let Joe Smidt build a team for the RWC 2015.

Have you not seen BOD tearing it up in the Heineken cup madge? I think you should leave that decision to Brian.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 08 Jan 2014, 6:52 pm

Biltong wrote:Doesn't really matter whether we believe Lions caps should count or not, they're in the record books.
There are plenty of things I have opinions about but have no power to change. I guess this is just one of them Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 08 Jan 2014, 6:58 pm

BOD is undoubtedly a legend.

but i dont put that much stock in the whole "most caps of all time" accolades. there are 11-13 international matches per annum currently for each side, compared to 3 or 4 in the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s.

having played for ireland first in 1999 (before Leinster 1st team) and regularly since 2000, until 2013 (so far), is an awesome record. add in his international try-scoring in his position and it really is impressive.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Wed 08 Jan 2014, 8:03 pm

BOD was a legend, he is also done and with RWC 2 years away it is time to retire him. Gatland gave him his chance and he knew when it was time for him to hang up his boots. I hope Ireland take note, there are no sacred cows in pro rugby, not even BOD.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 08 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm

Id have thought that it was a shoein that Brian O'Driscoll would become the most capped International of all time, If only for the reason that Joe Schmidt doesnt have a lot of alternatives.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 08 Jan 2014, 8:59 pm

The Saint wrote:I had no idea that whocares fella on here had a few caps for France.

thumbsup Laugh 
Have yet to find out in what code though!

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 08 Jan 2014, 9:43 pm

BOD is surely one of the greatest players ever to pull on a shirt, but now he's a shadow of what he once was. He's lost a lot of pace (made up for in experience, naturally) and can't quite do the things he used to.

I think Gatland did the right thing by not picking him for the final test. Probably because he realised that for the past couple of years that BOD has been playing, he has, like Lewis Moody was for the last 2 years of his England career, been held together with staples, sticking plaster, gaffa tape and friendly Doctors' notes.

A legend nevertheless. I hope he gets the record.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 08 Jan 2014, 10:44 pm

Didn't BoD say he'd have given up all of them in exchange for that victory over the All Blacks?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 08 Jan 2014, 11:13 pm

Hope he gets it, records are there to be broken, and these days loyalty to ones national side is to be rewarded (ay Mr Mowen/ N Evans/ F Steyn etc?) though its probably easier living in the same money pond.

McCaw is touch and go and I think could get there before the world cup if he played every test but already that isn't likely.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 08 Jan 2014, 11:59 pm

I hope McCaw goes out on a high and doesn't stick around past his sell by date to pick up silly records like this.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 09 Jan 2014, 2:09 am

Too true GE it is a silly record, I think Brian O'Driscoll has played many more easier tests than say Richie McCaw, McCaw would have played more games against the three top teams in the IRB rankings than O'Driscoll has.

Its a lot harder playing the South Africans than a lot of other International teams around the World.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 09 Jan 2014, 3:10 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Too true GE it is a silly record, I think  Brian O'Driscoll has played many more easier tests than say Richie McCaw,  McCaw would have played more games against the three top teams in the IRB rankings than O'Driscoll has.

Its a lot harder playing the South Africans than a lot of  other International teams around the World.

Particularly during the headhunter period...and the positional differences would certainly have had McCaw breathing harder / waking up later the day after...but thats an inevitable comparison. The main point here is being both selected for their ability and available for the duration that counts.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 09 Jan 2014, 8:24 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:I hope McCaw goes out on a high and doesn't stick around past his sell by date to pick up silly records like this.

Fair enough but BOD is not sticking around to pick up a silly record either.

He was going to retire last summer and if Schmidt had not been named Irish coach I am sure he would have.
Schmidt asked him to stick around for a extra year because, I believe, the replacements were either not ready to step up yet (Henshaw) or not yet eligible (Payne)

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 09 Jan 2014, 9:05 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:I hope McCaw goes out on a high and doesn't stick around past his sell by date to pick up silly records like this.

Actually he stuck around to beat the all blacks...so don't surprised if he's around for another few hundred years yet.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 09 Jan 2014, 9:43 am

Winning a second world cup would be a pretty good way to retire but I don't think he'll make it - or if he does it will be as an impact player
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Thu 09 Jan 2014, 11:19 am

geoff999rugby wrote:

Fair enough but BOD is not sticking around to pick up a silly record either.

He was going to retire last summer and if Schmidt had not been named Irish coach I am sure he would have.
Schmidt asked him to stick around for a extra year because, I believe, the replacements were either not ready to step up yet (Henshaw) or not yet eligible (Payne)

He's certainly lingering on though. In the last couple of matches he just hasn't looked able to surmount the physical challenge. Injured early in the game, limping, puffing and fatigue preventing execution of what his brain is seeing.

It seems that a new coach is unlikely to want to drop him and face the kind of criticism that Gatland faced, so I suspect it might be a case that Schmidt was asked by BoD to ask him to stay.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 09 Jan 2014, 11:32 am

Pure conjecture and doesn't fit with what I have been told.

Fact is Ireland have a, temporary, hole at 13 this year.
Earls has not proven to be good enough and various coaches have decided Cave isn't good enough.
Therefore we need someone to fill in till Henshaw is up to speed and Payne is eligible - hence BOD staying on at the request of the coach.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 09 Jan 2014, 11:49 am

Id say it was a bit of both. There is no doubt in my mind that BOD would have retired already if Schmidt wasnt apointed Ireland coach as he has said so many times and I have heard it from lots of sources that BOD loves working with Schmidt. However, I have no doubt that the reverse is also true given that Schmidt always picked BOD for key Leinster matches and has continued to do so for Ireland games. It is unlikely Schmidt is a man of sentiment and he wouldnt use O'Driscoll if he didnt think he merited it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 09 Jan 2014, 11:54 am

geoff999rugby wrote:Pure conjecture and doesn't fit with what I have been told.

Fact is Ireland have a, temporary, hole at 13 this year.
Earls has not proven to be good enough and various coaches have decided Cave isn't good enough.
Therefore we need someone to fill in till Henshaw is up to speed and Payne is eligible - hence BOD staying on at the request of the coach.  

Also, whilst Gats did drop him, Gats still deemed him to be in the top two outside centres in Britain and Ireland, odd are if he was Welsh, English or Scottish he would be involved in the 6Ns too
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next