The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WRU/Region row... collateral damage...

5 posters

Go down

WRU/Region row... collateral damage... Empty WRU/Region row... collateral damage...

Post by No9 Tue 07 Jan 2014, 1:26 pm

With neither the WRU or the Regions giving any ground, and unlikely to, could this see the demise of professional rugby on an international level.

Without Welsh competition in the Rabbo (as currently is), then Ireland will see little competition and focus only on the HC (if that survives). Scotland will probably loose its remaining two professional sides and Italy are already discussing leaving the competition. This would weaken their national sides, with Wales only gaining strength from their "overseas" players, the 6 Nations will become even more one sided than previous years, and maybe even fold. This takes out regular competition for the top NH sides, resulting in even lessly contended RWC. Without a RWC global promotion of the game will be hit, resulting in less nations playing.

So unless something is drastically done to kick the egos of the WRU and Regions into shape for the good of rugby, we could see collateral damage to the World Game...

Or do you think that's just silly and the game is strong enough to survive.

No9

Back to top Go down

WRU/Region row... collateral damage... Empty Re: WRU/Region row... collateral damage...

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 07 Jan 2014, 1:40 pm

I think that your getting a bit worked up over this. Even if the worst case scenario happened, and the WRU and RRW go to court, and some how there are no welsh sides involved in any competitions next season at all, the issue will resolved pretty damn quick. It may have a negative effect for a season or two, but it will not be the end of the game as we know it.

Also I have heard talk of the union allowing a neutral voice to negotiate between them and the regions, so fingers crossed both sides will concede a bit on their demands and we will end up with a conclusion soon enough.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

WRU/Region row... collateral damage... Empty Re: WRU/Region row... collateral damage...

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 07 Jan 2014, 2:26 pm

If there are no Welsh teams in the Pro12 there is a 10million pound lawsuit coming to the WRU courtesy of the IRFU and the SRU

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 07 Jan 2014, 3:22 pm

4N, then 5N were very popular before professionalism, and there have been periods of dominance for all nations (yes even scotland Wink).

so not sure what all the panic about the end of international rugby is about.

if anything, i would argue that the increased international makeup of the AP and top14 of PI and Arg players has contributed significantly to the improvement of the PI nations and Arg in world rankings. so it is just not as simple as drawing a straight line from weak professional sides in a country to poor national team performance in rugby.

the Rabo was always going to come to blows at some point as the WRU/RRW pot came to the boil. sh1t happens, and change happens too. it's inevitable. there are only so many band-aids you can use.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 07 Jan 2014, 3:24 pm

quinsforever wrote:4N, then 5N were very popular before professionalism, and there have been periods of dominance for all nations (yes even scotland Wink).

Thinking about that it is time for Wales slump year, so maybe it is handy having this who poopie storm to blame it on.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 07 Jan 2014, 3:29 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I think that your getting a bit worked up over this.  Even if the worst case scenario happened, and the WRU and RRW go to court, and some how there are no welsh sides involved in any competitions next season at all, the issue will resolved pretty damn quick.  It may have a negative effect for a season or two, but it will not be the end of the game as we know it.

Also I have heard talk of the union allowing a neutral voice to negotiate between them and the regions, so fingers crossed both sides will concede a bit on their demands and we will end up with a conclusion soon enough.

Radical idea.
Sounds like PRGB again to me.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 07 Jan 2014, 3:33 pm

Dai, I know I thought jeebus that is a new age solution that may just be crazy enough to work. But it needs people to let it work, so who knows.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 07 Jan 2014, 3:42 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Dai, I know I thought jeebus that is a new age solution that may just be crazy enough to work.  But it needs people to let it work, so who knows.

My first thought was "FFS!".
We'll be the "envy of the world" after this.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 07 Jan 2014, 3:44 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Dai, I know I thought jeebus that is a new age solution that may just be crazy enough to work.  But it needs people to let it work, so who knows.

My first thought was "FFS!".
We'll be the "envy of the world" after this.

Never trust a company that uses the words "envy of the .....". I work at a place where we were told we would be the "envy of the county within two years", and seven years on we are still the lowest paid in the county, in our industry.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down