The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

+31
doctor_grey
Fernando
NickisBHAFC
Marky
Jammy31
Barney92
NYJ
CFCNick
CJB
Adam D
cherriesfna
Skyforger
JDizzle
Forward Pass
skins4ever
TM Moot
Number-25
sodhat
RDuncan8
twelve283
Breadvan
Take it to the house
Bull
BamBam
crazy_dave23
mikeygnfl
Lowlandbrit
Thomond
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Pr4wn
35 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 3 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Pr4wn Sat 04 Jan 2014, 4:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Strong staff for us, I'm excited for next season!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 3 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by mikeygnfl Mon 06 Jan 2014, 12:52 am

BamBam wrote:So 49ers @ Panthers, Saints @ Seahawks, Indy @ Pats, Chargers @ Broncos in the divisional round..

Kaep stepping up in the playoffs again, now what can Cam do next week? Hopefully not too much!
Would like to see the 49ers vs Seahawks and Patriots vs Broncos in championship games. Probably the strongest four teams in the NFL this season. It is never that simple though.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 3 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by BamBam Mon 06 Jan 2014, 12:57 am

Well I thought that game winning field goal was close to being blocked. I just didn't realise how close

https://vine.co/v/hYpEQ5UeOmI

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 06 Jan 2014, 1:07 am

That's just unbelievable Bambam
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 06 Jan 2014, 12:01 pm

I thought the 49ers/Packers game was the best of the lot this weekend. It kept me interested throughout whereas after the Chiefs went to 38-10 I thought that Indy were out of it. Epic third and fourth quarter comebacks though.

It was a good snapshot of how a quarterbacks mental toughness can directly impact his team's result too. Luck played badly for swathes and then got it back together to brush off the past mistakes and trust himself to pull it back. Dalton couldn't do the same in a game that was a lot closer and wasn't over until San Diego added the Brown touchdown late in the 4th.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 06 Jan 2014, 1:03 pm

BamBam wrote:Well I thought that game winning field goal was close to being blocked. I just didn't realise how close

https://vine.co/v/hYpEQ5UeOmI
Apparently the reason he got so close is that he was offside though.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Mon 06 Jan 2014, 3:09 pm

I saw this yesterday and remember someone mentioning it on here before and that is... The last four Super Bowl winners played their first road game that year in Philadelphia.

2010 New Orleans Saints
2011 Green Bay Packers
2012 New York Giants
2013 Baltimore Ravens
Spoiler:

Last edited by mikeygnfl on Mon 06 Jan 2014, 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Mon 06 Jan 2014, 3:18 pm

Man, Jim Harbaugh talks some amount of guff.... apparently Michael Crabtree is the greatest "catcher" of all time.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 06 Jan 2014, 3:24 pm

Well .. he is bloody good!! Just adds so much to our offence, Kaep looks a different player when Crabtree is on song.

But yes of course he's not the greatest catcher of all time

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Mon 06 Jan 2014, 3:30 pm

mikeygnfl wrote:I see this yesterday and remember someone mentioning it on here before and that is... The last four Super Bowl winners played their first road game that year in Philadelphia.

2010 New Orleans Saints
2011 Green Bay Packers
2012 New York Giants
2013 Baltimore Ravens
Spoiler:

I'm starting to think it might be written in the stars for the team hidden in Mikey's spoiler cos it would also continue the streak of the Redskins having beaten each of the last 3 eventual Superbowl winners during that season's regular season. There's only one team left in this year's playoffs that the Redskins beat this season.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 06 Jan 2014, 3:35 pm

I can't look past the fact that the team in the spoiler is clearly the worst left though. It isn't like they got hot at the right time, they were just consistently inconsistent.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Mon 06 Jan 2014, 3:35 pm

BamBam wrote:Well .. he is bloody good!! Just adds so much to our offence, Kaep looks a different player when Crabtree is on song.

But yes of course he's not the greatest catcher of all time

I used to play football with a goalie that caught everything that came into his box. Didn't matter the weather - hail, rain or shine - or how many elbows he had in his face or how many guys punched him in the spuds as he jumped. He was a pretty good catcher.

You're certainly a better team with Crabtree though.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Mon 06 Jan 2014, 3:41 pm

sodhat wrote:I can't look past the fact that the team in the spoiler is clearly the worst left though. It isn't like they got hot at the right time, they were just consistently inconsistent.

Could also say that about the 2011 Giants though. Recent history is littered with Superbowl champs that got got at the right time. You're right though, it's a stretch to see them winning it but you can't write them off. The teams that have to scrap their way into the playoffs often end up playing with an intensity the better teams can't match.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 06 Jan 2014, 3:48 pm

I won't write them off, but if they manage it and the hoodoo continues I for one will be 100% bought in. Because it would be the only sane way to explain it.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Mon 06 Jan 2014, 3:51 pm

They have also won more games in the regular season against fellow playoff teams than anyone else.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 06 Jan 2014, 3:55 pm

They also got beaten by Terrelle Pryor.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jan 2014, 6:21 pm

I'm probably months behind here but only just seen it on the Sport Illustrated facebook page

Is it true that Goodall wants to expand the playoffs and include more teams?

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Mon 06 Jan 2014, 6:27 pm

gazzyD wrote:I'm probably months behind here but only just seen it on the Sport Illustrated facebook page

Is it true that Goodall wants to expand the playoffs and include more teams?
Yes, to seven teams per conference. Therefore only the top seed in each conference would receive a bye for the first week. The addition playoff games this year would have been the Steelers @ Patriots and the Cardinals @ Panthers.

Last edited by mikeygnfl on Mon 06 Jan 2014, 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jan 2014, 6:29 pm

ah, thought it was gonna be something huge then with like 20 teams haha

hardly a huge change (and Oakland still would have no hope of making them)

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Mon 06 Jan 2014, 6:33 pm

Also just realized that if the 49ers and Saints both win this weekend coming there will be one last hurrah at Candlestick Park and between former divisional rivals.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 06 Jan 2014, 7:26 pm

Seems like the Lions are the only team left with a clear idea of who they want the HC to be, everyone else in that stage where they're just interviewing everyone. Add both Bengals co-ordinators to the list of people being interviewed pretty much everywhere.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 06 Jan 2014, 9:19 pm

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/dan-snyder-gave-apples-as-holiday-bonuses-wanted-brady-quinn/
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Mon 06 Jan 2014, 10:44 pm

GSC wrote:http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/dan-snyder-gave-apples-as-holiday-bonuses-wanted-brady-quinn/

Haha! Nice try GSC! I read that article in the WaPo at the time and it was actually a lot more balanced than this Sports Grid thing makes out. The bits relating to football are old news, some of it from last century!

Meanwhile, in actual news, the Redskins have plans to interview another batch of candidates for their HC position, taking the total now to 11! Won't be long before some of us on here will be getting a call from them At this rate! I mean, there's being thorough and then there's looking like you have no idea about what sort of guy you're looking for! Maybe Snyder should take control of the search.... at least he's decisive  Wink

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Mon 06 Jan 2014, 10:52 pm

Wildcard games Madden style:- http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1909894-wild-card-round-madden-25-preview-and-prediction-simulations

So Madden 25 gets the winner right in all four wildcard games.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 06 Jan 2014, 11:12 pm

Number-25 wrote:I mean, there's being thorough and then there's looking like you have no idea about what sort of guy you're looking for!
I feel the same about the Vikings. People they've asked to interview so far include the OC and DC of both the Seahawks and Bengals. Nothing wrong with keeping an open mind and making sure you get the best guy for the job, but you'd think there'd be a short(er)list.

In other news: Patriots have placed Brandon Spikes on IR.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 06 Jan 2014, 11:28 pm

Interview 50 guys if that's what it takes to find the right one
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 07 Jan 2014, 12:09 am

Lowlandbrit wrote:

In other news: Patriots have placed Brandon Spikes on IR.

And with him goes any hope of us stopping the run. Shame cos he was having a nice season, not sure if he'll be back in New England, though I can't see him getting too much interest in free agency
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Tue 07 Jan 2014, 2:25 am

The Colts have picked up former Patriots receiver Deion Branch.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Tue 07 Jan 2014, 4:07 am

The 49ers-Packers game was the most watched wildcard game ever.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 07 Jan 2014, 9:10 am

It was nice to see the refs being a bit less hot on pass interference - or at least physical contact between DBs and receivers in the 9ers/Packers game. Receivers have it too easy.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Tue 07 Jan 2014, 9:35 am

sodhat wrote:It was nice to see the refs being a bit less hot on pass interference - or at least physical contact between DBs and receivers in the 9ers/Packers game. Receivers have it too easy.

Yeah, i thought they ref'd it better, kept the game moving.

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Tue 07 Jan 2014, 6:47 pm

Here is the leaderboard from the nfl.com playoff challenge after the wildcard games
1 anonemouse's picks 74 pts
2 jvaszst's picks 69 pts
3 ollyrules's picks 67 pts
4 mikeygnfl 63 pts
5 Take it to the house 55 pts
6 pr4wn's picks 49 pts
7 Shepton Mallet Matadors 44 pts
8 redmistx's picks 39 pts
9 wadey101's picks 36 pts
10 BamBam's picks 34 pts
11 The Stormbringers 26 pts
12 crazydave23's picks 19 pts
13 gb1919's picks 4 pts
14= leebenbow's picks 0 pts
14= nicklj88's picks 0 pts
14= rduncan8's picks 0 pts
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 07 Jan 2014, 8:45 pm

GSC wrote:http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/dan-snyder-gave-apples-as-holiday-bonuses-wanted-brady-quinn/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/will-robert-griffin-iii-help-or-hurt-the-next-washington-redskins-coach
No wonder everyone's lining up for that job...

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 07 Jan 2014, 9:12 pm

mikeygnfl wrote:The 49ers-Packers game was the most watched wildcard game ever.

probably because half the country couldn't leave there homes due to it being so damn cold!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Tue 07 Jan 2014, 11:08 pm

Jeff Ireland and the Dolphins have 'mutually agreed to part ways'. Ireland quickly follows Mike Sherman out of the door in Miami. I would think Joe Philbin will be staying though.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue 07 Jan 2014, 11:25 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/will-robert-griffin-iii-help-or-hurt-the-next-washington-redskins-coach

Haha! You're really sticking it to the Redskins this week GSC. Well, in the interests of balance, I trust you will also read this:-

http://thefingerman.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/washington-post-sports-watch-sally.html

I'm sure you'll also be aware that Sally Jenkins is the journalist that wrote Lance Armstrong's autobiography and who still holds the disgraced drugs cheat in high regard. Oh, and she's a New Yorker.... no axe to grind there then with a Washington sports team.

Just thought it best to give her article a bit of context.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Wed 08 Jan 2014, 7:48 am

mikeygnfl wrote:Here is the leaderboard from the nfl.com playoff challenge after the wildcard games
1 anonemouse's picks 74 pts
2 jvaszst's picks 69 pts
3 ollyrules's picks 67 pts
4 mikeygnfl 63 pts
5 Take it to the house 55 pts
6 pr4wn's picks 49 pts
7 Shepton Mallet Matadors 44 pts
8 redmistx's picks 39 pts
9 wadey101's picks 36 pts
10 BamBam's picks 34 pts
11 The Stormbringers 26 pts
12 crazydave23's picks 19 pts
13 gb1919's picks 4 pts
14= leebenbow's picks 0 pts
14= nicklj88's picks 0 pts
14= rduncan8's picks 0 pts

surprised i was so high, i think the 49ers rescued me, bloomin' charles, colston, jackson and graham only amassed 11pts between them  mad 

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 08 Jan 2014, 8:10 am

Number-25 wrote:
Lowlandbrit wrote:

Haha! You're really sticking it to the Redskins this week GSC. Well, in the interests of balance, I trust you will also read this:-

http://thefingerman.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/washington-post-sports-watch-sally.html

I'm sure you'll also be aware that Sally Jenkins is the journalist that wrote Lance Armstrong's autobiography and who still holds the disgraced drugs cheat in high regard. Oh, and she's a New Yorker.... no axe to grind there then with a Washington sports team.

Just thought it best to give her article a bit of context.

I've read more than a few times that she is a bit discredited. I notice too she never names any sources - or no-one is willing to go on the record with what they are telling her.

I'm getting a bit tired of the constant chasing of RG3 and the attempts to either bring him down a peg or character assassinate him. I have no idea what the truth actually is in all of this, and I don't care enough to see articles about it all the time. Let the kid learn and grow. If he is a man sausage, he's a man sausage and he'll fail without the reporters hounding him.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Wed 08 Jan 2014, 3:36 pm

There is a strong possibility that the NFL could see its first female GM with the Dolphins owners keen on appointing Dawn Aponte.

Last edited by mikeygnfl on Wed 08 Jan 2014, 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Wed 08 Jan 2014, 4:16 pm

Speaking of which:

Jason Cole ‏@JasonPhilCole

Based on what I'm hearing, it's unlikely #Bucs will be able to hire #Chiefs personnel man Chris Ballard since Lovie Smith has final say.

Always interesting when teams hire a coach before a GM.
Also in Tampa: Tony Sparano is the new OL coach.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 Jan 2014, 8:23 pm

Josh McDaniels will not be the next Browns HC

Jay Gruden favorite for the Redskins job
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Wed 08 Jan 2014, 9:06 pm

GSC wrote:Josh McDaniels will not be the next Browns HC
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

One person who knows Josh McDaniels said he had “an awesome” meeting with Browns, but it isn’t right time for him to become a head coach.

So it's come to this: the Cleveland Browns job is now so unattractive, the very thought of getting it makes coaches reconsider even wanting to be a HC.

Although they do have an interview lined up with Ben McAdoo.
Me neither, apparently he's the QB coach in Green Bay.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 Jan 2014, 9:12 pm

New England isn't it

Makes sense for McDaniels not to use his last chance on the negativity there
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 Jan 2014, 9:17 pm

Bear in mind Reid was hired as GBs QB coach and Harbaugh as a ST coach.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 09 Jan 2014, 2:08 pm

Looks like Jay Gruden is going to be the next boss in Washington. What do our resident Skins fans think of that?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 09 Jan 2014, 2:34 pm

If his last name wasn't Gruden he'd be nowhere near a HC job
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Thu 09 Jan 2014, 2:58 pm

It's weird seeing a Gruden actually take a HC job, instead of just being linked with every opening.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Thu 09 Jan 2014, 3:00 pm

No word yet on how much, but its a done deal:

Jay Gruden signs with the Skins

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Thu 09 Jan 2014, 3:02 pm

GSC wrote:New England isn't it

I have seen a few cynical comments suggesting he ruled himself out to avoid the embarassment of not getting the job.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 09 Jan 2014, 3:04 pm

mikeygnfl wrote:
GSC wrote:New England isn't it

I have seen a few cynical comments suggesting he ruled himself out to avoid the embarassment of not getting the job.

Would it be worse than the embarrassment of getting the job?

That was low, sorry Cleveland. I like Cleveland, I swear. My created pro plays for them on Madden 25.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Thu 09 Jan 2014, 3:07 pm

Clicked send too soon, and forgot to comment!  Doh 

I like the signing from the perspective he's produced a good offense in Cincy and been consistent. My one worry is Dalton's lack of progress in the last 2 years. Is that down to Dalton or Gruden's lack of ability to develop a QB? Then again, like I said before, I want a HC who can develop a team not just one position, so I'll reserve judgement at least until I see how he gets on with the draft and FA.

Be curious about the assistants - indications are he's keeping Haslett and promoting McVay to OC. The latter did well with Davis last year and Reed this year, but how that translates up to OC remains to be seen.

As far as Haslett goes, I don't have a lot of confidence in him. Maybe the focus for the draft and FA will be on D and he'll do something with more talent, but the current lot aren't lacking some talent and they were appalling so... Headscratch 

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next