The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 Greatest Threats To Mayweather's Unbeaten Record

+11
bellchees
Hammersmith harrier
Diamond in the rough
Boxtthis
TopHat24/7
JabMachineMK2
Lumbering_Jack
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
mobilemaster8
catchweight
hazharrison
15 posters

Go down

5 Greatest Threats To Mayweather's Unbeaten Record Empty 5 Greatest Threats To Mayweather's Unbeaten Record

Post by hazharrison Wed 11 Dec 2013, 11:07 am

After junior middleweight champion Floyd Mayweather outclassed Saul Alvarez earlier this year, many declared the Michigan maestro as unbeatable. Here are five fighters (in order of threat) that would put up a fight and challenge Floyd's unbeaten record:

1: Gennady Golovkin (middleweight)

The heir apparent to Martinez, GGG could make 154 lbs. if required in order to tackle champion Mayweather. Golovkin would be the most dangerous fighter Floyd had ever faced -- a fearsome puncher with unusual poise.

2: Sergio Martinez (middleweight)

After winning the junior middleweight championship against Alvarez, a match against Martinez -- for the linear middleweight crown -- would offer an opportunity to enhance his legacy. Martinez, a small middleweight who previously campaigned at 154 lbs., is fast approaching 39 and seemingly on the slide. It could be perfect timing.

3: Edislandy Lara (junior middleweight)

In waltzing past Austin Trout on Saturday, Lara assumed the position of Mayweather's number one contender at junior middleweight. A fight between Lara and Mayweather, however, is unlikely to blow Showtime exec. Steve Espinoza's hair back -- and Lara's too good for Mayweather to volunteer.

4: Timothy Bradley (welterweight)

Bradley, like Evander Holyfield, is an easy guy to pick against. He's also tenacious, superbly conditioned and free with his head (like Evander). Bradley may not quite know enough to upset Floyd, but he'd give him a fight.

5: Adrien Broner (welterweight)

Broner copies Mayweather's shtick, almost to the letter, and despite having looked less than all-conquering above lightweight, he has the inherent talent to pose Mayweather problems. It is a fight unlikely to be made due to the fact they are friendly outside of the ring.

And the five who are more likely to land the gig:

1. Amir Khan
2. Danny Garcia
3. Saul Alvarez
4. Miguel Cotto
5. Manny Pacquiao

Last edited by hazharrison on Wed 11 Dec 2013, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

5 Greatest Threats To Mayweather's Unbeaten Record Empty Re: 5 Greatest Threats To Mayweather's Unbeaten Record

Post by catchweight Wed 11 Dec 2013, 11:21 am

I dont really rate Broner. Pacquiao or Trout would be tougher than Broner I think.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

5 Greatest Threats To Mayweather's Unbeaten Record Empty Re: 5 Greatest Threats To Mayweather's Unbeaten Record

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 11 Dec 2013, 11:32 am

Id like to see him fight Bradley next. He is the most deserving in my mind having beaten Pacman and JMM. Undefeated, throw in a title and you have a good promotion.

Martinez is past his best so the win wont be as glossy as it would of been say 3 years ago.

GGG is still yet to step up IMO. Going in the right direction but surely too soon for a Floyd fight.

Lara is a threat and a VERY good boxer. Too awkward and not enough promotion in this one so wont happen.

Broner No.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 11 Dec 2013, 11:58 am

Broner may have the style but Mayweather has the speed
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 11 Dec 2013, 12:03 pm

GGG is the obvious one. But we know that won't happen. He's too much of a real challenge and hits a little too hard and accurately.

Lara vs Floyd would be a real stinker and not one I would like to watch.

Martinez is getting old and arguably losing to Murray doesn't place him in the best of form.

Bradley just isn't good enough. Handily beaten by Manny he offers nothing to really trouble Floyd. Doesn't hit very hard and for an accurate puncher like Floyd he won't be hard to find.

Broner is just a poor mans version of Floyd. Wide point victory is this one were to happen. The buildup would also be unwatchable.

'Money' vs 'AB' (about billions he calls himself I think?). Awful.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 11 Dec 2013, 12:07 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Martinez is getting old and arguably losing to Murray doesn't place him in the best of form.

Bradley just isn't good enough. Handily beaten by Manny he offers nothing to really trouble Floyd. Doesn't hit very hard and for an accurate puncher like Floyd he won't be hard to find.

Two incorrect statements.

Martinez beat Murray.

Bradley beat Pacquiao.

Are you entering the realm of the subjective? If so - your opinion detracts from facts.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Dec 2013, 12:31 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Two incorrect statements.

Martinez beat Murray.

Bradley beat Pacquiao.

Are you entering the realm of the subjective? If so - your opinion detracts from facts.

Those 'facts' are based on the opinions of 3 judges (in each case) therefore they are no more 'fact' than what LJ has written.

They are facts only in the Boxrec sense.

Presume you credit Manny for all his 'wins' versus JMM??

Manny did handily beat Bradley (lucky to get more than 3 rounds) and Martinez was lucky to get the decision as if the second kd had been correctly called he'd have lost.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 11 Dec 2013, 12:41 pm

Would love to see Golovkin or Martinez, but only if they can make 154 and challenge Floyd for his JMW titles. I'm all for the 'if you're a champion at the weight, you should fight the best challengers who can make that weight'. I would not expect Floyd to move up to 160 or to a catchweight to fight them (not that he's likely to do either).

Lara is no.1 contender at JMW now I'd say. Floyd should fight him. He won't.

At 147, Bradley or Pacquiao are the fights to make. Pacquiao is the more intriguing for me. Bradley is probably the more deserving.

I don't really care to see Floyd fight anyone else. However, I really don't expect to see him fight anyone on this list. To be fiar, if you'd made a list like this pre-Canelo, then Canelo would probably have been near the top. So, Floyd definitely gets big props for that win. It's just that the list of potential opponents all seem a bit off on their risk/reward/skills/star-power ratios for any one of them to jump out.

Last edited by Boxtthis on Wed 11 Dec 2013, 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 11 Dec 2013, 12:42 pm

Ref: Pacquiao-Bradley: 121 experts scored the bout for Pacquiao; 1 scored the bout a draw and 1 scored the bout for Bradley.

Ref: Martinez-Murray: That was a close bout that was open to interpretation but was a completely different case to Pacquiao-Bradley.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Dec 2013, 12:45 pm

hazharrison wrote:Ref: Pacquiao-Bradley: 121 experts scored the bout for Pacquiao; 1 scored the bout a draw and 1 scored the bout for Bradley.

Ref: Martinez-Murray: That was a close bout that was open to interpretation but was a completely different case to Pacquiao-Bradley.

Yeh, agree M-M was totally different. Wasn't trying to equate them necessarily. Just pointing out that sometimes people can get lucky with results. That night luck was on Sergio's side.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Dec 2013, 12:46 pm

Boxtthis wrote:Would love to see Golovkin or Martinez, but only if they can make 154 and challenge Floyd for his JMW titles. I'm all for the 'if you're a champion at the weight, you should fight the best challengers who can make that weight'. I would not expect Floyd to move up to 160 or to a catchweight to fight them (not that he's likely to do either).

Lara is no.1 contender at JMW now I'd say. Floyd should fight him. He won't.

At 147, Bradley or Pacquiao are the fights to make. Pacquiao is the more intriguing for me. Bradley is probably the more deserving.

I don't really care to see Floyd fight anyone else. However, I really don't expect to see him fight anyone on this list. To be fiar, if you'd made a list like this pre-Canelo, then Canelo would probably have been near the top. So, Floyd definitely gets big props for that win. It's just that the list of potential opponents all seem a bit off on their risk/reward/skills/star-power ratios for any one of them to jump out.

Pretty much exactly how I see it.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Wed 11 Dec 2013, 12:50 pm

if Floyd beats GGG and GGG doesn't do much after the win wouldn't be a great will be a good and GGG being overrated who's best opponent is macklin! Martinez will be known as old look at Mosley p4p no.3 at the time Floyd beat him and many people picked Mosley but now Mosley is old! Lara not big enough name and has struggled with opponents! Broner no where near ready! Bradley only one and Garcia

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 11 Dec 2013, 1:09 pm

Well Mosley was old and I have no idea how his win over Margarito propelled him to p4p number 3. 

In general though there is far too much revisionism going on with the current, nobody ever wins a fight now without some excuse popping up.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 11 Dec 2013, 1:28 pm

Diamond in the rough wrote:if Floyd beats GGG and GGG doesn't do much after the win wouldn't be a great will be a good and GGG being overrated who's best opponent is macklin! Martinez will be known as old look at Mosley p4p no.3 at the time Floyd beat him and many people picked Mosley but now Mosley is old! Lara not big enough name and has struggled with opponents! Broner no where near ready! Bradley only one and Garcia

No one picked Mosley to win apart from Glenn Mccrory who really does not like Mayweather.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 11 Dec 2013, 1:30 pm

Was going to say the same Hammer.

Was Mosley P4P number 3 back in 09? And if so, on what basis?!

probably around top ten but surely not as high as Martinez, Pacman and Floyd....

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 11 Dec 2013, 1:36 pm

bellchees wrote:
Diamond in the rough wrote:if Floyd beats GGG and GGG doesn't do much after the win wouldn't be a great will be a good and GGG being overrated who's best opponent is macklin! Martinez will be known as old look at Mosley p4p no.3 at the time Floyd beat him and many people picked Mosley but now Mosley is old! Lara not big enough name and has struggled with opponents! Broner no where near ready! Bradley only one and Garcia

No one picked Mosley to win apart from Glenn Mccrory who really does not like Mayweather.

And Doug Fischer (who tips everyone to beat Floyd -- Canelo included).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 11 Dec 2013, 1:55 pm

Here's a Ring Magazine list from Oct 2009, which was, what, 6 months before Floyd fought him?

1. Manny Pacquiao
2. Floyd Mayweather
3. Shane Mosley
4. Bernard Hopkins
5. Juan Manuel Marquez
6. Nonito Donaire
7. Miguel Cotto
8. Celestino Caballero
9. Israel Vazquez
10. Rafael Marquez

A few people did like Mosley in this one, or thought it would be competitive. It was a master class of a performance from Floyd, and a really solid win. Can't take it away from him now that Mosley is horrific.

As a side note, I just looked at the Ring current p4p top ten. My god, they have Canelo above Rigo - and that's after his recent win over agbeko. Canelo basically has one real win at his weight - Trout. What are they thinking?

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Dec 2013, 1:59 pm

Boxtthis wrote:Here's a Ring Magazine list from Oct 2009, which was, what, 6 months before Floyd fought him?

1. Manny Pacquiao
2. Floyd Mayweather
3. Shane Mosley
4. Bernard Hopkins
5. Juan Manuel Marquez
6. Nonito Donaire
7. Miguel Cotto
8. Celestino Caballero
9. Israel Vazquez
10. Rafael Marquez

A few people did like Mosley in this one, or thought it would be competitive. It was a master class of a performance from Floyd, and a really solid win. Can't take it away from him now that Mosley is horrific.

As a side note, I just looked at the Ring current p4p top ten. My god, they have Canelo above Rigo - and that's after his recent win over agbeko. Canelo basically has one real win at his weight - Trout. What are they thinking?

The Ring lists have been rubbish/meaningless since the mag sold out and the list is now only compiled by 1 guy so it's not even representative of the Ring's consensus view.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 11 Dec 2013, 2:00 pm

Boxtthis wrote:Here's a Ring Magazine list from Oct 2009, which was, what, 6 months before Floyd fought him?

1. Manny Pacquiao
2. Floyd Mayweather
3. Shane Mosley
4. Bernard Hopkins
5. Juan Manuel Marquez
6. Nonito Donaire
7. Miguel Cotto
8. Celestino Caballero
9. Israel Vazquez
10. Rafael Marquez

Pretty poor considering he beat only Mayorga and Margarito prior to Floyd.......he lost to Cotto just before those two fights.

I do remember people saying he would be a threat and in some cases a favourite. Floyd again showed his class.

Soon as the bell went, everyone stated he was old and past his best. Ironic really because he was a p4p superstar again before he fought Pacquiao and Alvarez?!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 11 Dec 2013, 2:00 pm

1. Manny Pacquiao
2. Floyd Mayweather
3. Shane Mosley
4. Bernard Hopkins
5. Juan Manuel Marquez
6. Nonito Donaire
7. Miguel Cotto
8. Celestino Caballero
9. Israel Vazquez
10. Rafael Marquez

That Canelo is GBP's flagship fighter and -- as they own the magazine -- by keeping him up there they can flog him as "one of the best P4P fighters in the world".

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Dec 2013, 2:01 pm

Not sure anyone was rating him (D4 aside) prior to Pac, only that Pac was getting stick for never facing 'slick African-American boxers' (i.e. a Floyd) and Mosley appeared to fit that mould/tick that box.

Def don't remember him being built up before Alvarez.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Dec 2013, 2:06 pm

hazharrison wrote:

1. Manny Pacquiao
2. Floyd Mayweather
3. Shane Mosley
4. Bernard Hopkins
5. Juan Manuel Marquez
6. Nonito Donaire
7. Miguel Cotto
8. Celestino Caballero
9. Israel Vazquez
10. Rafael Marquez

That Canelo is GBP's flagship fighter and -- as they own the magazine -- by keeping him up there they can flog him as "one of the best P4P fighters in the world".

Would also explain how Guerrero was somehow a 'top p4p fighter' for when he fought Floyd.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 11 Dec 2013, 2:07 pm

Margarito was Mosley's last great flourish, however, how much of that was down to Margarito being busted for his hand wraps prior to heading out to the ring? Margarito looked a monster at that point but how much of that was because he had cement in his gloves?

He was evidently faded against Floyd. Even when he had Mayweather going, he couldn't pull the trigger. He was dogmeat after Floyd whupped him.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 11 Dec 2013, 2:09 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

1. Manny Pacquiao
2. Floyd Mayweather
3. Shane Mosley
4. Bernard Hopkins
5. Juan Manuel Marquez
6. Nonito Donaire
7. Miguel Cotto
8. Celestino Caballero
9. Israel Vazquez
10. Rafael Marquez

Would also explain how Guerrero was somehow a 'top p4p fighter' for when he fought Floyd.

Well, they had to have something to say about him on All Access. But hey, people buy into all of this P4P nonsense, so I guess it's fair game for the suits selling the fight.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 11 Dec 2013, 2:10 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:'slick African-American boxers'

God, remember that whole line of discussion? Brings me back. There hasn't half been some cr@p talked about Manny and Floyd over the years.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Dec 2013, 2:15 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:'slick African-American boxers'

God, remember that whole line of discussion? Brings me back. There hasn't half been some cr@p talked about Manny and Floyd over the years.

The good ol' times, hey Boxthis......?! Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Wed 11 Dec 2013, 2:30 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

1. Manny Pacquiao
2. Floyd Mayweather
3. Shane Mosley
4. Bernard Hopkins
5. Juan Manuel Marquez
6. Nonito Donaire
7. Miguel Cotto
8. Celestino Caballero
9. Israel Vazquez
10. Rafael Marquez

D4 actually had Guerrero in his top 10 number 7 I think but still never gave Floyd credit unsurprisingly

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 11 Dec 2013, 2:40 pm

Can't see Floyd fighting any of those 5.  Martinez' possibly but still unlikely.

Khan and then Pacquaiao is my guess.  Khan is practically signed by all reports.

GGG has made a massive impact in the States this year much more than say Stevenson.  GGG v Floyd would be a mega fight for the ages.  Possibility of it happening:............ZERO.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 11 Dec 2013, 2:58 pm

I agree Martinez is the most likely (although still highly unlikely) prospect of the 'good' fights on that list. Perhaps Bradley (although less of a challenge).

Khan is a poor opponent no matter what way Floyd fanatics dress it up.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 11 Dec 2013, 3:29 pm

GGG is too dangerous and too big, he can only fight at 152 (or floyd gets criticism for not fighting canelo at 154) and we don't know if GGG can make that. His power, chin and underrated skill make him very dangerous

Martinez, think floyd beats him handily but the sergio of old would have been a nightmare, hence why it never happened, big southpaw with speed, stamina, movement and one punch KO power. Not likely, martinez will go fpr Canelo or Cotto

Lara, now deserves to be the premium fighter at 154 after he showed up a very good fighter in Trout. Would he be the best pure boxer floyd has ever fought? Yes imo. His movement upper body and his footwork is something floyd hasn't seen plus he's bigger and can bang. Not likely as he's not a big name and a HUGE risk

Bradley, I like this fight but he isn't good enough to win. However he deserves a shot, wins over Ruslan and JMM have established he's still a premium fighter even at welter. But no he can't win, floyd is that much better in every department and it'll be a snoozer

Broner no chance,  lets see if he can get past maidana first

Garcia, like Bradley the fight makes sense but once again has no chance of pulling off the upset but once again he is quite deserving after dealing with matthysse

Khan, haha, but also the most likely to happen

Pacquiao,  still very dangerous to floyd but too far gone to win now. Promotion means it won't happen to

Most dangerous: 1. GGG 2.Lara 3.Martinez
Most likely: 1. Khan 2. Garcia 3. Bradley

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 12 Dec 2013, 11:44 am

Surely it is time. The longer he fights, the more at risk is his unbeaten record. Or is that too philosophical?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 12 Dec 2013, 7:35 pm

You're all overlooking syphilis.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down