The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is James Hart the answer to Ireland's problems?

+2
LeinsterFan4life
GunsGerms
6 posters

Go down

Is James Hart the answer to Ireland's problems? Empty Is James Hart the answer to Ireland's problems?

Post by GunsGerms Mon 09 Dec 2013, 3:39 pm

It is at this stage fairly clear that Sexton while being an excellent player cannot be relied on for crucial kicks when wearing green. The amount of big big matches that Ireland have lost in recent years due to poor goal kicking surely indicates that we should have two kicking options on the field at all times.

It was suggested that Sexton had a tight hamstring when taking his critical kick v NZ that he missed a couple of weekends ago. Not sure I believe it but in any case if there was another kicking option on the pitch I dont think he should have or would have taken it if he was slightly injured.

Fergus McFadden is another good kicking option and Im sure Schmidt plans on making use of his talents there but he was of course injured for the NZ match.

Hart at number 9 would be an extra kicking option and he has proven that he is very reliable by winning some big games in the top 14 for Grenoble with his boot.

Is he good enough to return to Ireland and play for one of the provinces and challenge for a place in the Ireland squad?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/james-hart-s-work-ethic-at-grenoble-opens-alternative-route-to-success-1.1553149

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.ie%2Fsport%2Frugby%2Fdubliner-james-hart-stars-in-paris-to-outshine-sexton-29639465.html&ei=3-OlUsXfAcKs7QbboIHwCw&usg=AFQjCNFO1PmzMPHtleVSX8KP87IhHdXuiA&sig2=WQMf3w2DFt7aEEFjDDMvZA

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/prendergast-urges-joe-schmidt-to-call-up-grenoble-hotshot-james-hart-29803281.html

Probably posted this in the wrong section. Sorry.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Is James Hart the answer to Ireland's problems? Empty Re: Is James Hart the answer to Ireland's problems?

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 09 Dec 2013, 3:50 pm

We need to cap this guy very soon. I'm thinking start him for the wolfhounds in their annual game against the Saxons before the 6N. His mother is French so we shouldn't put it off.

He seems to be really impressing there in France. He made the Top14 team of the week 2 weeks ago. Definately someone to keep an eye on.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Is James Hart the answer to Ireland's problems? Empty Re: Is James Hart the answer to Ireland's problems?

Post by rodders Mon 09 Dec 2013, 3:58 pm

Sextons always been hot and cold as a kicker but if McFadden was better he'd be taking them for Leinster.

It's Sexton's all round form I'd be worried about with Jackson and Madigan playing really well - the former now place kicking regularly for Ulster too.

Don't know much about this Hart guy but we have good competition at 9 too so he'd need to be more than a kicker?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:00 pm

He needs to be better than Murray and that's a tall order right now.I haven't seen him play so can't say for sure but there's a lot of talent coming through at SH now.

Personally I don't think Sexton will have any problems nailing the big kicks in the future,he's done it at club level and when he's fully fit and playing well as I believe he will be then he'll be back to his 80-90% success rate.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:08 pm

Why does he need to be better than Murray? We need two 9s in each matchday squad. He is a similar type of player so could be a good guy to have if Murray is injured.

Besides Marmion (who is excellent) We have a couple of 9s coming through who may or may not make it unlike Hart who is already establishing himself in a top league.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:12 pm

Both Reddan and Boss are getting on now. I can see the IRFU taking a punt on Hart if his form continues to improve and giving him a Leinster contract.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:13 pm

rodders wrote:Sextons always been hot and cold as a kicker but if McFadden was better he'd be taking them for Leinster.

It's Sexton's all round form I'd be worried about with Jackson and Madigan playing really well - the former now place kicking regularly for Ulster too.

Don't know much about this Hart guy but we have good competition at 9 too so he'd need to be more than a kicker?

Rodders, the point is if the main goal kicker gets the yips or is injured then we need back up. IMO McFadden is just as good if not better with the boot than Sexton.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:18 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Why does he need to be better than Murray? We need two 9s in each matchday squad. He is a similar type of player so could be a good guy to have if Murray is injured.

Besides Marmion (who is excellent) We have a couple of 9s coming through who may or may not make it unlike Hart who is already establishing himself in a top league.

Well he needs to be playing if he's going to kick,that's the premise this thread is based on.  Hug 

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:22 pm

Yeah I don't think so Guns - for me you pick your team first and your kickers second - having two kickers on the field can be counterproductive too - heaping more pressure on the first choice place kicker.

If Hart is our best 9 then fine but I wouldn't pick him based on his place kicking.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Tue 10 Dec 2013, 9:02 pm

rodders wrote:Yeah I don't think so Guns - for me you pick your team first and your kickers second - having two kickers on the field can be counterproductive too - heaping more pressure on the first choice place kicker.

If Hart is our best 9 then fine but I wouldn't pick him based on his place kicking.  

Understand the sentiment, Rodders, but I can quote no less authority than Mike Gibson (the real one, not his alter ego who posts on this forum).  In an interview some years ago Gibson said "Always pick your best place kicker first, and then your second best".  

Whilst in those days penalties and tries were of equal value, having a reliable place kicker can keep the scoreboard ticking over and we all know the value of that.

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 Dec 2013, 9:48 pm

Kearney once did some kicking, didn't he. but I think he said he got very stale now from lack of practice

But most certainly, given how little games can often now turn on with two evenly matched teams, Ireland can no longer afford to drop so many points through kicks - sometimes luckily enough to be only a single kick, but at other times two or three penalties and a conversion.
Points like those are at a premium and our kicker, whoever he is, needs to be much more metronomic and secure in his kicking than Sexton has looked.
He's too good to say we have the leisure to drop him (yes, there'll be partners for him! - I'm not saying there is no place for Jackson, Madigan or whoever) but to say Sexton can be dropped from International duty because of his kicking would be a step too radical.
But if he can't improve then we need a real alternative kicker on the field when he's doing his other duties.  Wales can do it, so can we.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down