The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Cup Draw

+17
Dolphin Ziggler
Dave.
Hammersmith harrier
mystiroakey
Marky
socal1976
whocares
owen10ozzy
Crimey
super_realist
monty junior
Ent
LastDamnation
Good Golly I'm Olly
compelling and rich
VDT
Duty281
21 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

World Cup Draw - Page 4 Empty World Cup Draw

Post by Duty281 Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:58 am

First topic message reminder :

Live on BBC 2 at 16:30 GMT. Here are the pots:

Pot 1 (top eight seeds): Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Belgium, Colombia, Germany, Switzerland, Uruguay.

Pot 2: Ivory Coast, Ghana, Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon, Chile, Ecuador.

Pot 3: Japan, Iran, South Korea, Australia, United States, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras.

Pot 4: Bosnia-Hercegovina, Croatia, England, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, France.

One team from Pot 4 will move into Pot 2.

England's hardest possible group: Brazil, England, United States, Netherlands (or maybe Italy)...it could happen!
England's easiest possible group: Switzerland, Nigeria, Honduras, England.

I've got my fingers crossed that we get the Argentines!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

World Cup Draw - Page 4 Empty Re: World Cup Draw

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:To be fair Owen, youve never posted anything positive on this forum. Ever.
A bit harsh there Chris. Owen's a quality poster on this forum , as you are good sir. Check his boxing posts for proof.

I agree with alot of his England ramblings. Shoot me Very Happy 

Oh, you flirt. I didnt mean he hasnt contributed positively, I mean he is literally never happy! Pessimism, I fear for anyone who buys him christmas presents! "PS4?! A PS4?! If Sony were so good why didnt they get it right at PS1?! Amateurs."

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:To be fair Owen, youve never posted anything positive on this forum. Ever.
A bit harsh there Chris. Owen's a quality poster on this forum , as you are good sir. Check his boxing posts for proof.

I agree with alot of his England ramblings. Shoot me Very Happy 

Oh, you flirt. I didnt mean he hasnt contributed positively, I mean he is literally never happy! Pessimism, I fear for anyone who buys him christmas presents! "PS4?! A PS4?! If Sony were so good why didnt they get it right at PS1?! Amateurs."
Haha that is actually me!! They had the PS4 in the works before the PS3....!! Why didn't they just not make the PS3, concentrate on the 4 and release that instead! Scamming people for £300 quid for an 'interval' console...right little scamps those Sony lot! Very Happy

To be honest Dolphin, I haven't posted anything positive when it comes to England...however I wouldn't say my pessimism is misplaced. Fair enough if England had shown up at any of the tournaments in the past 8 years...the simple fact is they haven't. Worst still at the finals we have been mediocre at best (and that's me being polite). I want to be proud supporting our country...but when I see Milner line up with an aged Terry, Rio, Lampard & Gerrard against an agile, quick flowing Germany team having only squeezed through the groups (2010 WC if people are wondering) then it is difficult to get behind them.

I was full of optimism when Capello left, only to be disappointed again when Hodgson got the nod. That isn't a slight on Hodgson as a manager because he has been terrific in his over 20 years of coaching; yet in this day and age his methods on the International scene are out of touch with what is required.

He is attempting to build a team in the same mould as Switzerland...defensively solid with 1/2 attacking threats. That's all well and good if you want to try and nick wins but we have seen time and again that it isn't going to win you trophies. It certainly doesn't work against the top teams.

He has been in the job long enough now to be held to account for his decisions and in my opinion England haven't gone forward that much. Everyone praises him for Townsend and the football we played in the 2 last qualifiers....forgetting that those decisions to attack and risk a 'prospect' were forced upon him because of the position we were in. We had to go for the win because against Poland, Ukraine, Montenegro first time around he almost set out for the draws!

I fully expect to see him revert to type when we come up against Italy & Uruguay; that's to say he will rely on the experience of Gerrard/Lampard/Carrick and will not play two out & out wingers but rather Milner because he works hard! Rooney will be isolated up front without a glimmer of hope of showing what he can do on the World stage in possibly his last WC outing!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:52 pm

What Is misplaced is the nonsesnse about what you think other posters are posting before reading.

Read what is said and don't post drunk kiss

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:15 pm

mystiroakey wrote:What Is misplaced is the nonsesnse about what you think other posters are posting before reading.

My first comment on the post last night was rather tongue in cheek mystiroakey; more a remark about Duty than anything else. Obviously that is hard to grasp when written on a forum but nonetheless I'm not sure you need to take it heart so much! Hug

Getting back to our group and this debate; out of interest how do you see Roy lining us up come the first game against Italy (injuries aside obviously)

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:16 pm

I post drunk all the time. You can't tell me what to do Myst, you aint my Dad Laugh 

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:29 pm

To be honest looking back, I would argue that's one of the most eloquent pieces of writing you will see on here from someone having a drunken rant! Smile

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:30 pm

First up is the best time to play Italy. They will be quite happy with a draw. And in any case they often do not start tournaments brilliantly.
Uruguay will be tough , given this is in their backyard. But of all the South American countries , wouldn't you rather face them than Brazil , Argentina ...or even Chile ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:33 pm

I just hope we play a bit more against Italy this time thats all I can say!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:48 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:What Is misplaced is the nonsesnse about what you think other posters are posting before reading.

My first comment on the post last night was rather tongue in cheek mystiroakey; more a remark about Duty than anything else. Obviously that is hard to grasp when written on a forum but nonetheless I'm not sure you need to take it heart so much! Hug

Getting back to our group and this debate; out of interest how do you see Roy lining us up come the first game against Italy (injuries aside obviously)
Tough one Owen that

I reckon

Hart
Johnson---Cahill---Jags---Baines
------Gerrard---Wilshere-----
????------Rooney-----Welbeck
---------Sturridge---------------

Have no idea who will play RW. And really no idea who I'd play RW either!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:50 pm

Ox or morrison in an ideal world for me.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:52 pm

Oxlade Chamberlain's a good shout Mysti, hopefully he can get fit and firing. Certainly technically miles ahead of Walcott
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Hart

Johnson
Cahill
Jagielka
Cole

Gerrard
Carrick

Milner
Rooney
Welbeck

Sturridge

Unfortunately.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:00 pm

my ideal team

Hart

Johnson
cahill
Jag
baines

Gerrard
Morrison. Ox, Wilshire

Rooney.

Walcott

Roys team /headsgone

Hart

Johnson
cahill
jag
Cole

Gerrard, lamp, carrick, wilshire

rooney, sturridge

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:02 pm

My team:

Hart, Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Cole, Gerrard, Barkley, Welbeck, Walcott, Rooney, Sturridge.

Not sure about Roy to be honest.

#inroywetrust

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:59 pm

FreekShow wrote:I post drunk all the time. You can't tell me what to do Myst, you aint my Dad Laugh 
Here, here I agree posting drunk is one of the joys of the internet, I do some of best work when drunk.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:07 pm

Hart; Smalling, Jagielka, Jones, Baines/Cole; Carrick, Gerrard, Wilshere; Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck.

I think there's a way of making that work with the three up front being fluid rather than in positions. I'd possible have Barkley or Morrison over Wilshere, but I think he'll recover form and he also has experience. Temptation would be to put Cahill back in the defence and Jones moved forward for Carrick or Wilshere.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:11 pm

I will be emailing freeks dad shortly. He will sort him out.

Naughty freek

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:13 pm

mystiroakey wrote:I will be emailing freeks dad shortly. He will sort him out.

Naughty freek
He wouldn't know what an email is Myst. He's only just come to terms with the mobile phone!

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:17 pm

Haha,

That reminds me of my other half's Mothers first ever text. It was the accomplishment of the century!!

She then had to text people the fact that she had successfully sent a text

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:48 pm

England's game against Italy has been moved forward by 3 hours. A much more manageable time of 23:00 BST for the kick-off back in Britain, but probably a bit more difficult for the players.

Can only really see a 0-0, or a 1-0 in that game.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Moved back, now will be played in the heat of the day.

Hodgson wanted it moved forward 5 hours and be an evening kick off but the paymasters don't want a 7am Sunday game for England's opener.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Same problem for Italy.

But money talks..

What's health safety when a few extra quid is involved

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:35 pm

Duty281 wrote:England's game against Italy has been moved forward by 3 hours. A much more manageable time of 23:00 BST for the kick-off back in Britain, but probably a bit more difficult for the players.

Agree, will be a tight opening game, both teams uncertain & not wanting to lose. Will be a boring game in my opinion, such as a 0-0 or odd goal win.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:44 pm

Come to light in the post match press conferences today that the Irish are looking at taking Redmond as he could be eligible for them.

Call up him up to the next squad Roy. The kids gonna be great
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:47 pm

John wrote:
Duty281 wrote:England's game against Italy has been moved forward by 3 hours. A much more manageable time of 23:00 BST for the kick-off back in Britain, but probably a bit more difficult for the players.

Agree, will be a tight opening game, both teams uncertain & not wanting to lose. Will be a boring game in my opinion, such as a 0-0 or odd goal win.
Yeah can see a game similar to the Italy/Ireland match at USA 94 (heat and all that.) One moment of brilliance settling it.

Early games are always cagey affairs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:49 pm

FreekShow wrote:
John wrote:

Yeah can see a game similar to the Italy/Ireland match at USA 94 (heat and all that.) One moment of brilliance settling it.

Early games are always cagey affairs.
First half might be good, the second half will, in all probability, fizzle out.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:40 pm

redmond wont go ireland..

no way- under 21 player and English with a future for our side., they are just hoping and wishing. like the whole Junanzi nonsense from certain media

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:43 pm

I'm not a fan of players playing for countries simply because they are eligible. He's either English or he isn't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:46 pm

Thought it would be moved and it was - though I thought they would do a stadium and game swap with Uruguay/Costa Rica.

11pm on a Saturday night is nice though!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:46 pm

O'Neil and Keane have made it a tactic to go after as many English under age players as possible.

I think if you play in a system, and have been made by that system - that's it- you play for that nation.

Nationality isn't my problem, but playing for the system that made you is what is important.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:48 pm

mystiroakey wrote:O'Neil and Keane have made it a tactic to go after as many English under age players as possible.

Keane's a hypocrite then considering he openly admitted calling Mick McCarthy a fake Irishman!

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:50 pm

I'd very much doubt he'd want to play for Ireland but just relaying the message. Don't know how such Anthony would've arisen in the presser anyways
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:50 pm

*a thing
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:53 pm

Both Irelands have done that in the past, its a bit unsavoury....

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:55 pm

mystiroakey wrote:O'Neil and Keane have made it a tactic to go after as many English under age players as possible.

I think if you play in a system, and have been made by that system - that's it- you play for that nation.

Nationality isn't my problem, but playing for the system that made you is what is important.

Sounds a bit rapey. Laugh

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:58 pm

Duty281 wrote:

Sounds a bit rapey. Laugh
Duty wishing he was Irish there. Laugh

Or English, or underage...

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:20 am

There's a good chance Suarez will do something stupid and be banned for the World Cup, so there is no need to Panic Laugh 
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm

mystiroakey wrote:he has scored in the word cup mate- he had a really good first one, the next two he was semi injured
think your thinking of the euro's mate, he's played in two world cups and never scored

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Ok ta

It was his first tourny that was good wasnt it..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:39 pm

Rooney will be burnout for the WC most probably, desperately trying to save United's season. I`m also hoping that if Rooney is in decent shape that he focuses on england & not preoccupied with arranging the chelsea move next summer, if united don't make top 4.

Hodgsons banking on the rooney/Sturridge partnership but from what I've seen its pretty awful. Link up is poor.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:43 pm

yeah especially the Croatia game, still think that was the best version of him. this season aside he hasnt played that well since. probably a better poacher of goals now but he did it all back then.

i was wrecking my brains making sure he hadnt then thought its quite simple, rooneys 28 for him to have played in 3 world cups meant he would have to having been playing for 12 years, making him 16 which was when he was only just breaking into the everton set up

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:44 pm

also i dont think he was injured for the two world cups, just not match fit. we all know he doesnt look after himself as well as he could when not playing and usually takes a fair amount of games to get match fit. fergie has said as much recently

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:45 pm

John wrote:Rooney will be burnout for the WC most probably, desperately trying to save United's season. I`m also hoping that if Rooney is in decent shape that he focuses on england & not preoccupied with arranging the chelsea move next summer, if united don't make top 4.

Hodgsons banking on the rooney/Sturridge partnership but from what I've seen its pretty awful. Link up is poor.
that will be because sturridge doesn't know what a pass is

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:50 pm

On paper it should work, because Rooney is probably the closest to Suarez you're going to get in the England set up.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:08 pm

I think it works better as a three than a two - Welbeck must be a joy to play with cos he uses the ball smartly, works hard and has pace.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I think it works better as a three than a two - Welbeck must be a joy to play with cos he uses the ball smartly, works hard and has pace.
I'd say he's similar to Heskey in that regard.

I just can't like Welbeck, he's typical of a player with great physical attributes in that he relies on them rather than developing the technical aspects of his game. He's so frustrating to watch, always going out of position, awful first touch, can't pass, shoot or cross. Would rather Lallana got in the team over Welbeck.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:33 pm

I don't like the Sturrudge partnership..

Walcott , Carroll or welbeck for me

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:42 pm

I'm a fan of Carroll but he'll have to be in superb form after his injury to go to the World Cup I think, has missed too much football to warrant his place. I also think that we don't have enough good crossers of the ball to warrant playing Carroll and I think the temptation is always to go long ball when he's on the pitch.

Walcott, as much as he and others want him to be a striker isn't used in that role at club or country so it would be mad to throw him as a striker at the highest level. Same goes for Welbeck really, he's mainly used as a winger by club and almost always by country, Hodgson likes him on the left.

That for me leaves either having Rooney as a sole striker, which I don't think will work, he becomes too isolated and starts coming deep for the ball leaving the team light up top. Defoe, Lambert or Sturridge. Sturridge is clearly the most in form of those forwards and has a better all-round game than Defoe so gets the nod for me.

Think Rooney/Sturridge is the strongest partnership possible, for Sturridge it's similar to the one he plays at club level, the same could be said for Rooney as he will drop deeper when Van Persie is back, it's also the one that has the one most goals in the league.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:45 pm

rooney definitely gets frustrated about not being in the game if he leads the line, he's much better playing deeper where he's involved more. his form this season has been playing that role with either RVP or hernadez playing further up front

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Walcott is a striker end of story.

He has amazing goals to shots ratio.

That is where he will play for arsenal when he comes back I am pretty show of that.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next