The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colour commentators?

5 posters

Go down

Colour commentators? Empty Colour commentators?

Post by Jamwar1 Thu 05 Dec 2013, 9:53 pm

I'm watching the 2010 Royal Rumble otherwise known as the Straight Edge Rumble!
Watching it and I must say I absolutely loved Matt Striker as a colour commentator. He was apparently rejected because Vince felt as though he mentioned too many Wrasslin moves and never spoke about the "entertainment" side of the business enough.
It may just me but I feel, he was the closest thing to JR we had.
The questions are, would Matt have flourished in another era? Why does Vince prefer the non personality sports announcer type? Also is there anyone on the current roster who you see being a great colour commentator?

Jamwar1

Back to top Go down

Colour commentators? Empty Re: Colour commentators?

Post by crippledtart Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:19 pm

Striker was fantastic at first but very quickly became a parody of himself. I think the main problem was that he believed his own hype and his commentary became more about getting himself over than the wrestlers. Cole and Lawler were also said to dislike working with him.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:26 pm

I kind of liked striker

His reaction when Booker T returned at Royal Rumble 2011 was class!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 06 Dec 2013, 8:59 am

I agree with crips, he was excellent at first and a breath of fresh air but then seemed to get a bit of an over inflated opinion of himself. It's a shame because he (or someone of a similar ilk) would have been the perfect foil for Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler; an analyst who actually talks about wrestling whilst Cole harps on about the WWE App and Lawler continues being oblivious to it all.

I'm not sure why Vince McMahon has moved away from storytelling announcers to as you call them non personality sports announcer types but I can hazard a guess that part of the reason at least is because of a certain Jim Ross, who was so damn good that he became a character in his own right.

As for the current roster CM Punk is the standout as a potential 'old school' colour commentator if he was just allowed to be himself (I'm sure Vince would eventually beat that out of him though Smile ) I think Christian would be pretty good too, he's comfortable on the mic and could probably be pretty spontaneous if need be. Oh yeah, I also reckon that Paul Heyman kid could make the grade Smile 

I've always felt Kevin Nash would make an excellent colour commentator, as long as he toned down the comedy and didn't just use it as a tool to get himself over.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by MC6CW Fri 06 Dec 2013, 1:53 pm

I was always a bit annoyed by Matt Striker. I think if he could've kept on in the ring, he'd be a much better heel wrestler than announcer.

MC6CW

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down