The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Result We Could Change - And Why?

+16
All Time Great
Mr Bounce
Hammersmith harrier
Lumbering_Jack
Soldier_Of_Fortune
BallchinianMuffwig
horizontalhero
Seanusarrilius
Rowley
Lance
kingraf
mobilemaster8
Steffan
hogey
TRUSSMAN66
SugarWarrior
20 posters

Go down

One Result We Could Change - And Why? Empty One Result We Could Change - And Why?

Post by SugarWarrior Fri 29 Nov 2013, 2:28 pm

Another simpleton topic from me for a Friday afternoon.

What is the onefight we could change the result of (to what?) and why??
(I know most of us (being the compassionate bunch we are) would obviously change the result of a fight involving a tragic outcome and /or when a fighter has been seriously hurt e.g. Watson/ Ingle/ Oliver etc....but for arguments sake can we not include these.)

A brief explanation of background to the fight and why you chose that fight would be nice e.g. you knew the fighter involved/ felt they deserved the decision/ was a blatant robbery etc.
(Also doesnt have to be one - can be as many as you like - no hard or fast rules on here haha).

My pick - Castillo v Mayweather 1 - changed to Castillo decision win
Reason - Not FMJ's biggest fan (as a person) and find him classless at times. He places so much value on his '0' that losing it at this stage may have helped other fights being made in the future (mainly Pacquiao - shameful this fight was never made).....which for the record i would have had FMJ winning by UD.

SugarWarrior

Back to top Go down

One Result We Could Change - And Why? Empty Re: One Result We Could Change - And Why?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Nov 2013, 2:34 pm

I'd have Curry fighting mccallum in 86 when it was obvious post Rodrigues he was struggling badly at 147........

But decision wise.............I think i'd change Holmes-Spinks 2 to a rightful win for Larry.......

Holmes had special significance to me growing up.........and he really did get shafted.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

One Result We Could Change - And Why? Empty Re: One Result We Could Change - And Why?

Post by hogey Fri 29 Nov 2013, 2:37 pm

Castillo getting the deserved nod would have made things more interesting with Floyd not having to dodge his biggest challenges in order to protect the 0, ironically he may well have ended up a higher regarded fighter as a result.
The one I would change though would be Taylor given the extra seconds against Chavez and getting the win his fantastic performance earned, and in view of the health problems Taylor suffered later might have made it a tiny more worthwhile for him.

Last edited by hogey on Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 29 Nov 2013, 2:53 pm

I wish Jermaine Taylor had managed to stay on his feet for another 14 seconds and got the decision against the Slimster

I wish Enzo could have knocked out David Haye and saved us all money on the PPV watching Haye beating the mighty Audley or bottling it against Wlad or wasting everyones time and money with the Fury fight (non-fight)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Nov 2013, 2:56 pm

I agree Haye deprived us of "Enzo vs Wlad"..........Would have made Ali v Frazier look like

Williams v Audley........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:01 pm

Enzo would have put up a brave fight before getting KTFO

Would have been far worth the PPV than Haye

Even Chisora showed heart against Vitali

Haye showed toe

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:01 pm

Pacquiao vs JMM - All of them.

Where would Pacman be then? Lost to JMM back to back.......wouldn't have a 3rd, wouldn't have been knocked out and probably wouldn't be where he was today had it not been for terrific fights with JMM.......the whole controversy around it.......

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:02 pm

Steffan wrote:I wish Jermaine Taylor had managed to stay on his feet for another 14 seconds and got the decision against the Slimster

I wish Enzo could have knocked out David Haye and saved us all money on the PPV watching Haye beating the mighty Audley or bottling it against Wlad or wasting everyones time and money with the Fury fight (non-fight)
Eh? Who is Slimster?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:05 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Eh? Who is Slimster?
Laugh 

Typing error

Meant the Slimester as in the slimey loathable vile piece of humankind that is Carl Froch

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarWarrior Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:06 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'd have Curry fighting mccallum in 86 when it was obvious post Rodrigues he was struggling badly at 147........

Thought you would have gone with Curry v Honneygan Wink  - Maybe 5th Rd KO to Curry......This is before my time but i'm assuming that would have been the normal outcome had Curry not been shot at that weight.

I like the Taylor V Froch one - think Taylor deserved a win there as it was a superb boxing performance moving up in weight as well (i think!).

Not a robbery per se but another one I would change was ODLH v Trinidad to a OLDH UD. I had him winning the fight at the time and would have been interesting to see where he would have gone after this with his '0' still intact.

SugarWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:06 pm

Many had just dismantled Barrera... Don't think a Marquez defeat finishes him off. Probably gets a tune up fight and has plus minus the same career, with a lot less money. Marquez on the other hand, loses his cash cow, fights Floyd earlier and is remembered much the same as Castillo...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:08 pm

I'd change one fight and one fight only... Norton vs Ali III
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:19 pm

Hopkins, calzaghe. obviously because im a big Hopkins fan. but also because I thought he should have won it. the knockdown was the worst thing to happen for Hopkins that night. left him over confident and in cruise control. roach didn't help either. bugs me that joe was not up for a rematch, he was only interested in keeping his zero. maybe if joe had lost we would have seen him in some better fights afterwards. don't think he deserved to retire undefeated

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarWarrior Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:28 pm

Another result that really upset me and one I think most of us would change – Drago v Balboa (From Balboa KO to Drago UD).
It changes a lot of things this result - firstly none of us would need ‘to change’!! The Cold War would still be going on. Balboa hopefully retires for good and we don’t get the debacle of Rocky 5 and ‘Rocky 6’!!!

SugarWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:31 pm

Naz Barrera, still upsets me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:38 pm

It was a shame Naz didn't keep going...........

Naz - Pacman would have been interesting........

Guess the kid didn't like it up him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:39 pm

May v Castillo I. May would be a different man with an L on his record and I cannot score that fight for him no matter how much I try.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:41 pm

I thought he won that fight.........

I can't score Witherspoon-Holmes for Larry but It don't mean a jot.....

get over it.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:45 pm

Herol Graham avoids that right hand from Jackson, wins the world title his talent deserves, and perhaps more importantly defeats the demons that nearly cost him his life in retirement.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:46 pm

Why did Herol Graham deserve to win the world title ??

Barkley beat Hearns........Nunn beat Tate..........Kalambay beat Mccallum.......

Who the hell did Graham ever beat to get a soft title against a one eyed hitter!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:47 pm

Think it is the same old story Truss, too much money and too much ego. Best thing Naz could have done is eaten some humble pie and mended some bridges with Ingle but he was never likely to do that. Odd set up at the Ingle gym, try to run it with no superstars and that nobody is the top dog there, struggle to imagine Naz was ever going to agree with being just one of the crowd.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:53 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Why did Herol Graham deserve to win the world title ??

Barkley beat Hearns........Nunn beat Tate..........Kalambay beat Mccallum.......

Who the hell did Graham ever beat to get a soft title against a one eyed hitter!!
what I meant Truss is that his talent deserved it, not neccessarily him as a person- there's a subtle but important difference- When at his best Herol could be sublime IMHO, the most graceful fighter I have ever watched, and for such talent to have not won a title is sad. His fragile mental make up let him down on his biggest nights, and I thought he had broken that curse against Jackson, he was so, so close to winning.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:53 pm

Think May-Castillo I & II were both toss ups... with the Olympic champion, and the prettier fighter seen to have edged it. Dont personally mind the result, as much I mind the 'Floyd put things right in the second fight' argument... While he probably edged that, he certainly didn't put the matter beyond all doubt.

Also get annoyed with insinuations that Marquez was robbed in the first fight... Robbed indicates an intentional screwjob, and yet unlike a lot of fighters Marquez was allowed to continue fighting after 3KDs, and was the benefactor of some sloppy judging... If youre gonna screw a fighter, you don't give him every chance of gettig up to win it....

I do wonder how differently Khans career goes if he beats LaMont... Probably gets a fight with Floyd in May 2012 a la Guerrero...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:54 pm

Froch to have done to Groves what he did to Bute.

Team slimester

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:54 pm

Naz-Morales.......Naz-Paccy...........Naz -Barrera 2..........

Missed some great matchups..........whatever the story.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 29 Nov 2013, 3:56 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I thought he won that fight.........

get over it.
Who Castillo or Mayweather?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarWarrior Fri 29 Nov 2013, 4:06 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Naz-Morales.......Naz-Paccy...........Naz -Barrera 2..........

Missed some great matchups..........whatever the story.
Also Naz v Mayweather - remember that was talked up a lot on these shores at the time.

How about Khan v Prescott not taking place and he fights an 'easier' domestic opponent (Thaxton?) and wins -
That way i would not have had to read some of the most disgusting and upsetting racial abuse I had ever read online which was aimed at the young British Olympian Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad 

SugarWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Nov 2013, 4:23 pm

Khan......Not averse to using the old race card himself..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarWarrior Fri 29 Nov 2013, 4:35 pm

Who did Khan racially abuse?

SugarWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Nov 2013, 4:44 pm

Using the race card and abusing someone are two different things........When he went to America first up he intimidated that he was leaving because whitey didn't appreciate him because of his color...

Not because he is a dumb, classless idiot.......which was the majority view..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarWarrior Fri 29 Nov 2013, 5:07 pm

I think the problem with Khan is that he is actually quite dumb intellectually - i think this leads to his at times 'classless' quotes.
Although at the time of the Prescott fight I hadnt thought he had said anything too wrong. He said he wanted to be a world champ, was beyond the domestic scene (nothing wrong with that really).
Sometimes people forget what he did as 17 year old when he was the British Olympic Boxing Team!

I wasnt aware of the problems/ issues that arose when he first went to America - I always thought he said he preferred it there as he could just train as an unknown whereas here he is bothered all the time.

Its a polarising topic though Khan - Smile Smile 

SugarWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Nov 2013, 5:27 pm

Haven't a problem with Khan really....Plenty of fighters I like have lacked class.....Not as If he is like Chisora.

I rate him quite highly...Never been outboxed.......Poor man's Tommy Hearns....

Just think he needs to engage brain before mouth..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 29 Nov 2013, 6:11 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Haven't a problem with Khan really....Plenty of fighters I like have lacked class.....Not as If he is like Chisora.

I rate him quite highly...Never been outboxed.......Poor man's Tommy Hearns....

Just think he needs to engage brain before mouth..
He's probably worse than Chisora.

Ran someone over who then went into kill themselves because of the injuries he suffered. All caused by his disgraceful behaviour behind the wheel.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 29 Nov 2013, 6:57 pm

I tend to have an issue with any fighter who thinks they are above the domestic scene and have the right to jump straight to world level. It's an old fashioned view but no one is owed anything in boxing they have to earn it. That said Khan did on occasion look brilliant outclassing Malignaggi and Judah.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 29 Nov 2013, 7:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I thought he won that fight.........

get over it.
Floyd lost it in my book. Each to their own. May had dined out on his 0 for a decade. If he didn't have one, things might have been different

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 29 Nov 2013, 7:49 pm

I would change Ottke-Reid to a UD for Reid. The original fight was a hometown decision if ever there was one.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 30 Nov 2013, 1:09 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I tend to have an issue with any fighter who thinks they are above the domestic scene and have the right to jump straight to world level. It's an old fashioned view but no one is owed anything in boxing they have to earn it. That said Khan did on occasion look brilliant outclassing Malignaggi and Judah.
Even though Khan was actually above domestic level? He boxed superbly vs. Kotelnik, Judah and Paulie. Scored knock downs vs. Maidana and Peterson as well. Agreed, was KO'd by a great shot by Garcia but nevertheless, was thoroughly dominating in the three rounds before he was caught.

Bit of a nothing comment by yourself there, sometimes I feel people make unnecessary sweeping statements simply because it's Khan.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 30 Nov 2013, 10:15 am

Prior to that though he was a bit too gobby - then he went and proved himself which was fair enough and turned many fans his way.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 30 Nov 2013, 11:01 am

All Time Great wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:I tend to have an issue with any fighter who thinks they are above the domestic scene and have the right to jump straight to world level. It's an old fashioned view but no one is owed anything in boxing they have to earn it. That said Khan did on occasion look brilliant outclassing Malignaggi and Judah.
Even though Khan was actually above domestic level? He boxed superbly vs. Kotelnik, Judah and Paulie. Scored knock downs vs. Maidana and Peterson as well. Agreed, was KO'd by a great shot by Garcia but nevertheless, was thoroughly dominating in the three rounds before he was caught.

Bit of a nothing comment by yourself there, sometimes I feel people make unnecessary sweeping statements simply because it's Khan.
I'm talking at the time, it's easy to say in hindsight he was a level above Thaxton but we didn't know and getting dropped by Limond and Gomez wasn't a very good sign. I still to this day think he'd have been better served going through the domestic scene first, may possibly have lengthened his ambitions at world level which right now seem to eroding fast.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 30 Nov 2013, 11:51 am

Mr Bounce wrote:I would change Ottke-Reid to a UD for Reid. The original fight was a hometown decision if ever there was one.
Good call in terms of unjust. However, it was more the ref than the judges in my view. After being warned for punching ottke, Reid lost heart (quite understandably) and did lose the second half of the fight. On a round by round basis it was quite close, whilst being a complete travesty, if that makes sense.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 30 Nov 2013, 11:58 am

Makes as much sense as your posts normally do milky. Reid should have headbutted him then bitten his nose off. Would make a killing in his next fight.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 30 Nov 2013, 12:19 pm

Sorry mate, if I knew you were reading I'd just use words of single syllables to make it easier to follow;) 

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 30 Nov 2013, 12:34 pm

milkyboy wrote:Sorry mate, if I knew you were reading I'd just use words of single syllables to make it easier to follow;) 
Thanks mate, when you don't it's like solving a physicists cryptic crossword only to find out the reward was Love sacks anyway

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 30 Nov 2013, 12:41 pm

1 across. Enjoy getting fired? Balls! (4-4)

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 30 Nov 2013, 1:04 pm

5 down. Initiate the flow of fluid into a partial vacuum. Horatio fell says hamlet (4-2)

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 01 Dec 2013, 4:47 pm

Owen-Pintor - Pintor to win by TKO stoppage in the eighth secondary to the cut
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sun 01 Dec 2013, 5:00 pm

Hatton v Pacman, would loved Hatton to have thrown the mother of all punches and left Pacquiao on his back.
When Marquez knocked Pacquiao out I made the comment what goes around comes around.

Bomber Graham avoiding Jackson's right hand and boxing just like he did in the first 3 and closing the show the most talented fighter we've ever had  never to win a world title.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down