The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last-minute Heartbreaks

+21
Dourauldscot
munkian
SecretFly
GLove39
Comfort
fa0019
GunsGerms
MMaaxx
jimmyinthewell68
tigertattie
Luckless Pedestrian
Biltong
nganboy
blackcanelion
Taylorman
GloriousEmpire
Majestic83
Scratch
captain carrantuohil
mystiroakey
Rugby Fan
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Last-minute Heartbreaks  Empty Last-minute Heartbreaks

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 26 Nov - 9:58

Losses are always had to take but there are some games which punch you in the stomach. I can't be the only one to shy away from reading the sports pages after a brutal loss. There's that moment when you wake up the following morning, feeling quite chipper, and then the dark clouds of memory return, to ruin your day. As an England sports fan, there have been quite a few of those over years.

There's something immeasurably sadder about a defeat at the death. In 1999, I think I wandered the streets back home feeling almost physically sick after Scott Gibbs had danced through at Wembley to beat England. The grand slam gone, and the title too.

Which other games can you recall with a cruel finish? I've probably tried to forget most of them over the years so might need to be reminded by those with happier memories from the other side of the fence. Here are some that I recall (including a couple where England came out winners):

1978 Wales vs New Zealand - Quittenton awards All Blacks a last penalty kick (edited)
1991 World Cup Quarter Final Ireland vs Australia - Lynagh gets the Wallabies out of jail.
1993 First Lions Test vs New Zealand - last minute penalty gives the All Blacks a win
1999 England vs Wales Five Nations - As above.
2000 England vs Australia - Dan Luger 87th minute try gives England 1st win over Wallabies in 5 years
2003 World Cup Final Australia vs England - it was heading to a shoot-out until Wilkinson put it over.
2009 Second Lions Test vs South Africa - long range penalty sends the Lions to a series loss

Of course, there's another class of gut-punch, which is when your side blows a chance to win it at the death with a missed kick or butchered try. Few recall that Mike Catt had attempted a drop goal to win back that 1999 Five Nations match against Wales. Those aren't always obvious, though. It was a snatched attempt by Catt, taken from too far out. You tell yourself that the whole team is to blame for not scoring more points earlier, but don't quite believe it.

Outside that 1993 Lions Test, I can't remember losing at the death to New Zealand. When England haven't managed a rare win, they've usually beaten us handily. I feel for Ireland to have gone down twice in that fashion in recent games.

Last edited by Rugby Fan on Tue 26 Nov - 11:42; edited 1 time in total

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Last-minute Heartbreaks  Empty Re: Last-minute Heartbreaks

Post by mystiroakey Tue 26 Nov - 10:07

I know its not Union- but the game 24 hours before in the league semi final was an exact replica

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 26 Nov - 10:10

1994 Calcutta Cup - Jon Callard slots an undeserved winning penalty for England at Murrayfield with the last kick of the game. Big Gav promptly bursts into tears during his interview.

1974 Calcutta Cup - Andy Irvine slots a penalty from wide on the right at Murrayfield with the last kick of the game to give Scotland victory.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue 26 Nov - 10:11

The bad Wales v France 2011. unbearable.
the good Wales V England 1999. unbelievable

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 26 Nov - 10:14

1980 - England v Wales at Twickenham - The Ringer Match. Wales, down to 14 men for more than an hour after Paul Ringer is sent off for mussing John Horton's hair or something, score an apparently game-winning try with a couple of minutes to go. Into the last seconds, England get a penalty and Dusty Hare sticks it over for an entirely undeserved win and the third leg of what was to be England's first Slam in 23 years. Ringer, as Max Boyce observed, got the blame.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 26 Nov - 10:16

Wales v Scotland 2010, so much went on in that game with Scotland getting out the blocks quick and getting a couple good tries and building a good lead. Johnny Beattie rampaging down the wing, Dan Parks having the game of his life, Chris Paterson's 100th Cap then Paterson damaging his liver, Thom Evan's and his neck injury. Could just feel it slipping away from us but still we held out until those final moments and Shane Williams flopped over the line from close range. Think most of the Scottish fans were speechless that day!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 26 Nov - 10:27

The first ever Scottish cup final, 1996 i think. Hawick V Watsonians, game had gone back and forward with the lead changing hand several times until it looked like Scott Hastings Watsonians have finally got control of the game and were going to win. a minute or so to go Hawick got a penalty just outside the 22, down by 1 point the stand off Scott Welsh looked as if he was going to kick at goal but instead quickly tapped and took the Watsonians players by surprise and ran in unchallenged to score the match winning try.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 26 Nov - 10:32

Three for Ireland - one win, one draw, one loss.

1972 - Ireland, down 12-10 in the dying seconds at Twickenham, win when Kevin Flynn bursts clean through to score. Ireland also win in Paris but are denied any further glory when scotland and Wales refuse to travel to Dublin.

1973 - Ireland v All Blacks - In the dying seconds, Tom Grace wins the race to a kick ahead to score in the corner at Lansdowne Road, making things level at 10-10. Barry McGann's conversion attempt, from wide out, looks over for most of its journey, but fades left at the last second. This is still Ireland's best result against the ABs until the present day, which is what makes last Sunday so galling.

2007 - Croke Park. That little Bar Steward Vincent Clerc. Another coulda shoulda GS stillborn.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue 26 Nov - 10:43

Majestic83 wrote:Wales v Scotland 2010, so much went on in that game with Scotland getting out the blocks quick and getting a couple good tries and building a good lead. Johnny Beattie rampaging down the wing, Dan Parks having the game of his life, Chris Paterson's 100th Cap then Paterson damaging his liver, Thom Evan's and his neck injury. Could just feel it slipping away from us but still we held out until those final moments and Shane Williams flopped over the line from close range. Think most of the Scottish fans were speechless that day!
Crikey forgot that one, what an ending.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue 26 Nov - 10:47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRLB7gjoy4g

THE. WORST. EVER.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 26 Nov - 10:59

"1978 Wales vs New Zealand - Andy Haden's histrionics gives the All Blacks a last penalty kick"

Its still bent in this way? 50,000 years later?
Haden was stupid and attempted to cheat. But that had nothing to do with the penalty, which was awarded for Geoff Wheels holding down of Pierce (Pierce from memory).

Quittendon said it at the time but perhaps the bent version is glossier and somehow 'more acceptable'.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue 26 Nov - 11:02

Taylorman wrote:"1978 Wales vs New Zealand - Andy Haden's histrionics gives the All Blacks a last penalty kick"

Haden was stupid and attempted to cheat. But that had nothing to do with the penalty, which was awarded for Geoff Wheels holding down of Pierce (Pierce from memory).

Quittendon said it at the time but perhaps the bent version is glossier and somehow 'more acceptable'.
In 50 years they'll be telling the story of when Andy Haden pushed Leigh Halfpenny over in the 2011 RWC semi-final, just as he was about to take the match winning kick.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 26 Nov - 11:19

Taylorman wrote:"1978 Wales vs New Zealand - Andy Haden's histrionics gives the All Blacks a last penalty kick"

It's told that way over here to the extent that I've never heard the other explanation!

It seems there was a thread over on Rugby Refs the other day:

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?16942-Myth-Busted

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 26 Nov - 11:31

We've always known the right version and its probably a case of which you perefr depending on where you come from...

Have to say that Haden has put his foot in his mouth on many other occasion here and doesnt have a lot of respect in general.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 26 Nov - 11:45

Taylorman wrote:We've always known the right version and its probably a case of which you prefer depending on where you come from...

Have to say that Haden has put his foot in his mouth on many other occasion here and doesnt have a lot of respect in general.
I've edited out the finger-pointing from the original post.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 26 Nov - 15:34

Here's some I remember..

1981 Springbok tour of NZ. Injury time penalty kicked by Alan Hewson to win the 3rd test for NZ.

1987 French score a length of the field try to beat Australia in the world cup semi final.

1991 Lynagh scores on the bell for Australia to beat Ireland in the world cup quarter final.

1994 French score a try from the end of the world to beat NZ in the second test.

2000 John Eales kicks a penalty in the last minute For Australia to beat NZ.

2000 Jonah Lomu scores on the death for NZ to beat Australia in the "greatest game ever played"

2000 Luger scores a try 8 minutes into injury time for England to beat Australia.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 26 Nov - 15:58

Bledisloe Cup, NZ getting smashed we start throwing it around and get back into it. Almost but not the last play of the game Jeff Wilson beats 4 players to get over the try line to win the game. Gregan comes from out of nowhere to knock the ball out of Wilson's hands while he is over the line but still in midair
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Nov - 16:04

My favorite is Nonu with one boot and one sock beats Smit's desperate grasp and throws a perfect pass to Dagg on the outside in the 79th minute to win in SA.

Not last minute, but my least favourite is Ricky Januarie's fantastic solo chip and collect solo effort against the ABs in the last five minutes to win in Dunedin. Brilliant!

Eels' penalty hurt very much to and is also very painful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Nov - 16:12

And DC's ugly as sin last minute DG to beat Ireland in NZ last year (sorry, too soon?) countered by Stransky's extra time DG in the 1995 RWC which I still occasionally shed a tear over

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 26 Nov - 17:16

Heartbreak for SA post isolation:

Australia
1999 world Cup Semi final, Drop goal by Stephen Larkham in extra time

2010 Trinations, we lead in the last minute, we have possession, We are penalised for sealing off and Beale kicks a 50 meter goal for OZ to win.

2011 world cup quarter final, inspite of everything we lead 9-8, in the 71st minute Danie rossouw is penalised for pulling down a player in the line out, Wallabies kick the goal and win.

England

1998 Autumn tour, SA is on 17 match winning streak and unbeaten for the year, they need this win to take the record, England beat us by 6 points.

New Zealand

2004, Trinations, Christchurch, We outscore NZ by three tries to one, yet lose to the boot of Carter

2010, trinations ellispark, Game is locked up at 22 all, Morne Steyn messes up a kick, New Zealand comes at us and score a try in the final minute.

Ireland (Not last minute heartbreaks, but heartbreaks nonetheless)

2004 Autumn International, The Paul Honiss and Ronan O'Gara try.

2009 Autumn International, we score the only try of the match, Steyn misses 4 penalty goals, but Sexton kicks 5.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 26 Nov - 20:38

GloriousEmpire wrote:

In 50 years they'll be telling the story of when Andy Haden pushed Leigh Halfpenny over in the 2011 RWC semi-final, just as he was about to take the match winning kick.
Speaking of the 2011 semi final, I watched the match in a pub in Edinburgh and jumped out of my seat cheering when the kick was smack bang between the uprights. Then it faded... and the group of Frenchmen in the corner cheered!

One match I remember that I don't think has been mentioned here is a Tri-Nations one (v New Zealand?) when Werner Creeff scored and converted a late try to steal it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 26 Nov - 20:41

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:

Speaking of the 2011 semi final, I watched the match in a pub in Edinburgh and jumped out of my seat cheering when the kick was smack bang between the uprights. Then it faded... and the group of Frenchmen in the corner cheered!

One match I remember that I don't think has been mentioned here is a Tri-Nations one (v New Zealand?) when Werner Creeff scored and converted a late try to steal it.
I was at the wc semi in Welsh colours and had the interesting experience of French fans coming up and telling me not to be sad as my team had played really well.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 26 Nov - 21:01

Rob Andrew's goal after Gavin Hastings missed "that" kick
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue 26 Nov - 22:09

Wales vs Australia last year  December AI . that last try by grumpy face Crying or Very sad

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 26 Nov - 22:12

I'm sure that a few minutes before Beale's try, we had a penalty in their half which, inexplicably, we kicked to the corner.

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Tue 26 Nov - 22:37; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Tue 26 Nov - 22:20

Werner Greef scored in the last minute against Australia at Ellis Park. I was right behind the poles where he scored. Great match.

SA have lost a couple of note last minute. Mortlock converting from the touch line being one.

But it was all worth it to win that second lions test on 09!

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 26 Nov - 22:25

Irish ones:

Ireland v Oz 1991
Ireland v NZ 2012
Ireland v NZ 2013
Munster v NZ
Munster v Wasps
Ireland v France 2007
Munster v Northampton

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 26 Nov - 22:33

Anyone mentioned the 2012 ambush in Newcastle where Scotland beat Australia 9-6 with the last kick of the game?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 26 Nov - 22:36

No welsh fans on here

anyway if I was it would be.

Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia
Wales v Australia

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 26 Nov - 22:39

That's a lot of copying and pasting, Mysti. You must be having as quiet a morning at work as me!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 26 Nov - 22:43

Wales vs Australia for the last few years, told in emotions from a welshman....

Shocked 
picard 
Emo 
vomit 
Headscratch 
egg 
broken 
steam 
Erm 
Doh 
Sad 
raspberry
drumroll 

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Tue 26 Nov - 22:44

As Majestic said, Wales V Scotland 2010, was utter heartbreak. Played, by our standards so well, even scoring some of those 7 point thingys, but then to have Evans stretchered off (never to play again) & Paterson on his 100th cap limping off as well was so sad.

Then the final mad 15 minutes, Scott Lawsom the match assassin, the Byrne dive. The 2 yellow cards. Kicking that final restart long with the scores tied. And the harpoon through the heart THAT Shane Williams try. Heartbreak, utter heartbreak

Sad 

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 26 Nov - 22:44

I have so much to do, that I cant do it!!!

I need to get motivated and stop wasting my time

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Tue 26 Nov - 22:49

I'd also add, Scotland V Argentina at the World Cup, a game we had to win if we had any realisitic chance of making the QF's.

Monsoon conditions, we'd finally mamaged to create a 6 point gap with time running out, but then switched off and Conterpomi found Amarisino (sp?) who sliced through half our team to put them a point ahead.

Hurt doesn't end there since we even managed to get to within 5m of their try line, but ballsed up the late drop goal (Conterpomi was offside). Game over, world cup over. Sad 

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 26 Nov - 22:57

Comfort wrote:Wales vs Australia for the last few years, told in emotions from a welshman....

Shocked 
picard 
Emo 
vomit 
Headscratch 
egg 
broken 
steam 
Erm 
Doh 
Sad 
raspberry
drumroll 
Hmmm, a whole bunch of shocked, emotional, heartbroken, angry emotions right there, not one happy face, eh?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 26 Nov - 22:58

mystiroakey wrote:I have so much to do, that I cant do it!!!

You need a Ban?

I can sort you out, I know some people. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Nov - 22:59

Wales vs Scotland 2010?

Probably the most unlikely come back in 6 Nations history

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 26 Nov - 23:00

Biltong wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:I have so much to do, that I cant do it!!!

You need a Ban?

I can sort you out, I know some people. Wink
Laugh 

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 26 Nov - 23:10

I'm happy enough that I can always see the last minutes of any game happening about 20 minutes before they happen.  So shock is rare for me.... pain is a different matter.

I was in pain a good 20 minutes from the end of the game on Sunday.  I knew the flame was going out of the Irish effort and I said 20 minutes is going to be a century of waiting for the inevitable to happen.  The inevitable happened some 21 minutes later.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 26 Nov - 23:10

yeah all right give us a 1 day ban

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 26 Nov - 23:12

Masochist "Ban me"

Sadist "No, I won't"

Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 26 Nov - 23:20

Funny as feic just for the look on Andy's face mad

I got so drunk as I thought we'd lost to Scotland then even drunker when we won
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 26 Nov - 23:21

Biltong wrote:Masochist "Ban me"

Sadist "No, I won't"

Very Happy
Nice laughing 

Seriously though, it is a good idea.  To have 'Ban me for [fill in the time period]' requests.  It allows people to get on with life and work for a reasonable period, set down by themselves.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Dourauldscot Tue 26 Nov - 23:32

Another long time lurker signing up at last!

The greatest last minute heartbreak I ever witnessed was Barking V London Scottish in the final game of the National League 1 2010-11 season.  Barking came into this top of the table, winner takes all decider having not lost a game all season. Scottish, having had a slow start to the season, had kept themselves in touching distance by picking up quite a few winning bonus points. Barking were the superior team that day, being more than worth their 13-10 lead going into the final moments of the game. As they pressed on for the killer blow, just 10 metres from the Scottish line, the flyhalf threw a long pass out towards the wings. At this point, Scottish’s Howells pounced, running the length of the field to wrench the game, the title and the promotion from Barking’s grasp. I was there and was too full of sympathy for the Barking fans to celebrate in front of them – instead waiting until the pitch invasion was in full swing. It was a real ‘Sliding Doors’ moment with Scottish going from strength to strength, consolidating their position in the Championship and now pressing for a place in the playoffs. By contrast, that defeat was a killer blow to Barking who had invested a lot in their promotion push that year and are currently on a run of 10 straight defeats in National league 3 London & SE.

You can see the try on youtube by searching London Scottish Barking (Can't post links yet)

Dourauldscot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 26 Nov - 23:37

Good one Dourauldscot. Now get lost!

I'm only kiddin' Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 26 Nov - 23:37

BAN HIM!!!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 26 Nov - 23:38

kiss

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 26 Nov - 23:38

Worst post ever.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dourauldscot Tue 26 Nov - 23:40

This is a warmer welcome than when I tried to walk into my catholic gran's house wearing a rangers top.....

Dourauldscot

Back to top Go down

Post by Dourauldscot Tue 26 Nov - 23:41

I was only 9 at the time, it was before I saw the light and shunned the roundball for the egg.....

Dourauldscot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next