The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys star Hanno Dirksen tipped to wing in for Wales during Six Nations

+2
bedfordwelsh
munkian
6 posters

Go down

Ospreys star Hanno Dirksen tipped to wing in for Wales during Six Nations Empty Ospreys star Hanno Dirksen tipped to wing in for Wales during Six Nations

Post by munkian Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:06 am

Ospreys star Hanno Dirksen tipped to wing in for Wales during Six Nations

South-African born Dirksen qualifies to play for Wales in January and has just returned after a year out with a major knee injury

THE Ospreys believe Hanno Dirksen can help fill the Welsh wing void in next year’s Six Nations.

Injuries to Alex Cuthbert and Eli Walker have resulted in Wales being forced to play Liam Williams out of position against South Africa and Argentina, with Dragons duo Hallam Amos and Tom Prydie called up to the squad.

South-African born Dirksen qualifies to play for Wales in January and has just returned after a year out with a major knee injury.

Ospreys backs coach Gruff Rees warned Dirksen will need to be carefully handled but has the potential to perform on the international stage.

“There’s a lot of water to pass under the bridge before the Six Nations,” said Rees.

“He’ll be hoping to build momentum in terms of his time on the field.

“For his future betterment, he’s someone we are going to have to manage now every week in training.

“But if continues his upward curve and get back to where he was before his injury, I see no reason why he shouldn’t push himself to the fore.

“Particularly given that there is a lack of depth in certain positions in Wales.”

Dirksen impressed against Leicester last week but has been rested for the Welsh LV Cup derby against the Blues on Friday evening in Swansea (7.30pm).

He's seemed nippy everytime I've watched him and everyone else has a token Saffa thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Ospreys star Hanno Dirksen tipped to wing in for Wales during Six Nations Empty Re: Ospreys star Hanno Dirksen tipped to wing in for Wales during Six Nations

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:30 pm

Is there a void though, injuries are part and parcel of th game but its not as if we don't have cover.

That said if he's qualified (dont agree with residency rule but its same for everyone) and he wants to throw his hat in with us we would be silly not to use him.

He seems very skillful and has what all wingers need - speed.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Ospreys star Hanno Dirksen tipped to wing in for Wales during Six Nations Empty Re: Ospreys star Hanno Dirksen tipped to wing in for Wales during Six Nations

Post by Seagultaf Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:32 pm

Strong and very determined player who a couple of seasons ago was playing very well at Club Level. His faults from my perspective is that he is hot headed and lacks discipline, also does not appear to have the gas for wing at test level (could be very good at 13 though, if he can learn to pass!)

He has been out for nearly a year with a major injury, I suspect that this years 6N may be a bit early for him. I see him as being behind; North Cuthbert and Walker but if he can sort out his demons and get fit, on a par with; Liam Williams (out of position), Robinson and Prydie.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:35 pm

Can't really comment on Walker yet as he's not managed to stay injury free Crying or Very sad 

Being 'hot headed' shouldn't always be seen as a negative, we have too many 'nice' blokes in the Welsh squad, a bit of agression wouldn't go amiss
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:35 pm

Seagul,

Agree with that pecking order and from what I have seen he sems to have the gas, yes hot headed etc but so is Li Williams or can be.

If there is an extended 6 Nations squad then I wouldn't be surprised to see him or Jordan Williams in it.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri 15 Nov 2013, 1:12 pm

I wouldn't' even doubt him being in the Six Nations squad for the six Nations.
A very similar player to Liam Williams, devoted and hard as nails. I think he is qualified now and would be in the current Welsh team if he hadn't got injured.
I hope to see him in a welsh jersey before long. Would give us more depth in a position were we lack as well.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 15 Nov 2013, 1:17 pm

Do we lack depth or is it more we lack experience at the top level
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by daidimview Fri 15 Nov 2013, 1:30 pm

munkian wrote:Can't really comment on Walker yet as he's not managed to stay injury free Crying or Very sad 

Being 'hot headed' shouldn't always be seen as a negative, we have too many 'nice' blokes in the Welsh squad, a bit of agression wouldn't go amiss
Excellent point, starting with our captain, a follower not a leader, require a blend of strategy and also fire and brimstone which Wyn Jones has but Warburton does not, should be left to play his own game and reach even higher levels than current, win win.

daidimview

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 15 Nov 2013, 1:36 pm

daidimview wrote:
munkian wrote:Can't really comment on Walker yet as he's not managed to stay injury free Crying or Very sad 

Excellent point, starting with our captain, a follower not a leader, require a blend of strategy and also fire and brimstone which Wyn Jones has but Warburton does not, should be left to play his own game and reach even higher levels than current, win win.
That may seem the case to us but I have not heard anyone say anything about Warburtons captaincy including anyone from the Lions.

Now whether this is the players keeping mum on the topic but there has been fall out in the past about certain players on tour so maybe just because he's not seen to be screaming and shouting etc doesn't mean he doesn't do it when need be, or maybe he doesn't need to scream and shout.

The two best captains I have witnessed in my adult years have been Jonno and Eales and they were very much the strong silent type or so it appeared alot of the time.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 15 Nov 2013, 1:39 pm

Sam certainly screams and shouts on the Lions Raw DVD, he just doesn't do it all the time.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 15 Nov 2013, 1:41 pm

munkian wrote:Sam certainly screams and shouts on the Lions Raw DVD, he just doesn't do it all the time.

There is no need to do it all the time, as an ex NCO in the RAF I screamed and shouted only when I had do not because I could.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 15 Nov 2013, 1:44 pm

'I ASKED FOR BOURBONS JOHNSON, NOT RICH TEA!!!'

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 15 Nov 2013, 1:44 pm

I can't actually recall seeing Ryan Jones screaming and shouting etc when he was skipper either.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 15 Nov 2013, 1:45 pm

munkian wrote:'I ASKED FOR BOURBONS JOHNSON, NOT RICH TEA!!!'

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo 

Too right ol chap
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 15 Nov 2013, 1:46 pm

Tally ho mo1
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri 15 Nov 2013, 10:35 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Do we lack depth or is it more we lack experience at the top level
Personally i think depth because we haven't got to see what some wingers are like at out level yet. Only George and Cuthbert have stood out the past 2 years with Liam Williams (a fullback) as third choice.

We have talent in:
Eli Walker
Jordan Williams
Hanno Dirkson
Hallam Amos

Are all good talents and played very well for there clubs but have yet to prove it at international level, this is why these players need game time. Hopefully Hallam and Eli can't get some time under their belts against Tonga.

It hasn't helped that Shane got too old or Stoddard had to retire but that's rugby, people grow old and sadly players get injured.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 16 Nov 2013, 6:35 am

Jhamer25 wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Do we lack depth or is it more we lack experience at the top level
Personally i think depth because we haven't got to see what some wingers are like at out level yet. Only George and Cuthbert have stood out the past 2 years with Liam Williams (a fullback) as third choice.

We have talent in:
Eli Walker
Jordan Williams
Hanno Dirkson
Hallam Amos

Are all good talents and played very well for there clubs but have yet to prove it at international level, this is why these players need game time. Hopefully Hallam and Eli can't get some time under their belts against Tonga.

It hasn't helped that Shane got too old or Stoddard had to retire but that's rugby, people grow old and sadly players get injured.
JH,

Agree with all that and I guess its the old adage of giving players game time over getting results, when do you experiment these days?

The AIs, 6 Nations or Summer tours?

The 6 Nations is def a no go for me in the experimental phase, ok if we have to blood some because of injury then so be it.

So that leaves the AIs and summer tours, problem with this is as we have seen in the past we put a weakened side out against the so called 'lesser' teams we play and we end up struggling or as has happened in the past get beat.

Look at the summer tour, took a young touring party (albeit due to the Lions) to Japan though some old heads still could have gone, and we end up losing.

We know some players are confidence players and defeats in a weakened side can do more harm than good, I know this is a topic for another thread and I don't want to get on my soap box about getting an A Side back up and running.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 16 Nov 2013, 11:04 pm

I agree its desirable to have a bit of controlled aggression, its the control bit that Dirkson seems to lack. Also I have doubts about his pace, quick yes at Rabo level, but so is Liam Williams, but Sanjay lacks the raw pace to excel at wing at test level (good stop gap and very useful 15 though) and I suspect Dirkson will be in the same category.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 17 Nov 2013, 10:25 am

Don't want to turn this into another debate but it just seems to alien to hear a chap called hanno Dirksen turn out for Wales. Same as Mouritz Botha. It's just crazy to think.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Nov 2013, 10:27 am

Just as it seems weird to hear of Rhys Llewellyn in the NZ setup???

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 17 Nov 2013, 10:28 am

fa,

No more than Faletau or Marinos or Vunipolo or Ojomoh or Obogo for England, its the rules not many of us like them but why not use them.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Nov 2013, 11:43 am

We're a multicultural society, just embrace it

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down