The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Warren could do it all again

3 posters

Go down

If Warren could do it all again Empty If Warren could do it all again

Post by ChelskiFanski Sat 09 Nov 2013, 12:24 pm

If Frank could do it all again would he play it differently?

Do you think he ever wishes he'd matched his fighters a bit harder and put on some bigger shows? Under his watch boxing slipped down the priority list a bit at Sky. I think he must look back and wonder how he ever let Eddie Hearn become the big shot.

What sort of shows could Frank have put on at his peak instead of Hatton v Pendleton and Rowland or JC v Pudwill and Manfredo?

ChelskiFanski

Back to top Go down

If Warren could do it all again Empty Re: If Warren could do it all again

Post by Strongback Sat 09 Nov 2013, 2:34 pm

ChelskiFanski wrote:If Frank could do it all again would he play it differently?

Do you think he ever wishes he'd matched his fighters a bit harder and put on some bigger shows? Under his watch boxing slipped down the priority list a bit at Sky. I think he must look back and wonder how he ever let Eddie Hearn become the big shot.

What sort of shows could Frank have put on at his peak instead of Hatton v Pendleton and Rowland or JC v Pudwill and Manfredo?
I think it goes in cycles.  Warren had things to himself for a long time and got complacent. Matchroom have come back on the boxing scene with a heavy PR campaign.  They have learned from the way Haye/ Booth and others have used social media to generate hype.  Personally I think they have created too much hype with Eddie in particular promising the earth, moon and stars.  I see a major fan backlash occurring when Matchroom cannot deliver the fan friendly promotions they have sold themselves on.

I'm just calling it early.  I suspect that in 12 months there will be more than a few that will have reservations about Matchroom.

It isn't only the Sky deal that is hurting Warren, his PR is shoddy when put alongside Matchrooms.  Warren would need to rejuvenate his company and add a bit of glitz and glamour.  Matchroom have forced Warren into a situation where he must adapt or die.  Warren has tried to unite the other British promoters to form a power base in which to put up a fight to Matchroom but it hasn't worked.  The Sky deal means the likes of Hatton will sidle up to Hearn if it means his fighters get to fight on Sky Sports.

Warren needs to, as they say in boxing, go back to the drawing board.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:21 pm

You do what you think is best at the time and you live with it.......Think had he shown more faith in some of his fighters he may have kept them longer........Hatton being a prime example......Hatton had a lot of ambition.....

But he did what he thought was best and in his client's interests as well as his own.......Ie milking belts.....

Still think Boxnation is a mistake.........He had the prime slot on SKY and blew it......

Whether foreign fights can sustain a channel I'm not so sure.......

still had some rocks to try it........Whatever you think about it's rights and wrongs..

Regrets don't work...Those who live in the past have no future.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down