The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who's Next?

+2
Adam D
sodhat
6 posters

Go down

Who's Next? Empty Who's Next?

Post by sodhat Mon 16 May 2011, 9:45 am

I'm not talking Goldberg for all you wrestling fans, but who will have the 'honour' of taking on the West Ham job now?

I hear alot of talk of Hughton, but I'm not so sure on that one. Others mentioned are Holloway, O'Neill (not likely now...), Bilic, Pearson and Warnock.

Personally speaking, I would love to see Slaven Bilic back, but he may not wish to drop from International football to the Championship with a broke club. His stock does seem a bit lower than after the England match in '07 so it may still be conceivable, and he has links with the club.

But what does everyone think?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Who's Next? Empty Re: Who's Next?

Post by Adam D Mon 16 May 2011, 9:51 am

I cant see Holloway going there. Even if Blackpool get relegated, due to a smallish wage bill, they should have more money to invest than West Ham, who are bound to sell their best players.

AS an outside bet, I would throw in John Hartsons name into the ring. He is desperately looking for a mangement job, is Ex West Ham and would be cheap.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 May 2011, 9:52 am

I think Bilic's stock has fallen now and would be a gamble, and probably not a good one.

Holloway won't leave if Blackpool stay up, it would be a stupid move. West Ham may be 'bigger' than Blackpool, but they're a mess.

It's one of three for me...

Hughton
Warnock
Allardyce

It's not easy getting out of the Championship and you need a manager who's used to having to grind out results, work off limited funds and rebuild squads, those 3 have done that. I think if Warnock leaves QPR he's your man. Plenty of Championship experience and knows what it takes to win it. If he stays i'd go for Hughton. Worked wonders for us at Newcastle, brought in youth players and some shrewd buys but regalvanized a squad and got them playing for the badge.

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 16 May 2011, 9:54 am

It should be Aidy Boothroyd - he would be perfect for West Ham and I reckon would get them promoted back within a season.

They ain't going to get anyone big like O'Neill.

They should hang-fire on an appointment and wait to see if Warnock does get ridiculously sacked in favour of Lippi or Ranieri at QPR - because he would be ideal also.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 May 2011, 9:57 am

Demon, i think Boothroyd's not even on their radar.

Granted he may be promising, but he's hardly set the world alight recently. As much as he did well for Watford there are much better and even cheaper alternatives than someone who did well for 2 seasons and showed promise.

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 16 May 2011, 9:57 am

West Ham are damaged goods at the minute and I can't see any manager already at a club leaving for them.

I'd probably go for Hughton. Did an unbelievable job at Newcastle getting them back up in their first season which has been seen before as a difficult job to do. Like KB said he had the Newcastle players playing for the badge and that was what West Ham lacked at times.

Whoever does get the job has a massive rebuilding on his hands. Upson, Green, Parker, Ba, Noble, and a few others are all bound to go.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 16 May 2011, 9:59 am

King Beer wrote:Demon, i think Boothroyd's not even on their radar.

Granted he may be promising, but he's hardly set the world alight recently. As much as he did well for Watford there are much better and even cheaper alternatives than someone who did well for 2 seasons and showed promise.

I think for some of the names being bandied around, West Ham isn't on THEIR radar.

Delusional talk

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 16 May 2011, 10:00 am

I would agree that Hollows would be mad to take the job, but then he is a bit isn't he? Blackpool may well stay up yet so we would have to wait on that.

Not sure Warnock is West Ham's number one fan after the Tevez situation. If he gets sacked at QPR he may wish to stay in London and I certainly wouldn't mind him taking over.

Bilic has had a slight fall from grace but I would be more than willing to give him a try. He has great intelligence (some sort of lawyer outside of football) and has a bit of an edge to him. That tends to suit us.

I'm sure Paolo Di Canio will pop up with a desire to manage us too.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 May 2011, 10:02 am

Electric Demon wrote:
King Beer wrote:Demon, i think Boothroyd's not even on their radar.

I think for some of the names being bandied around, West Ham isn't on THEIR radar.

Delusional talk

You say that, but Allardyce and Hughton have been out of work. Gold and Sullivan would back a new manager and West Ham have a legacy. Providing they ship out the dead weight then they could easily come straight back up with a few shrewd signings. If Warnock leaves QPR he's not gonna get a job in the PL so West Ham would be the perfect job for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 16 May 2011, 10:03 am

Allardyce won't take it.

He's a Premiership manager. That's why he's been out of work - because he wants a premiership job.

Hughton is no better than Boothroyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 May 2011, 10:08 am

Electric Demon wrote:Allardyce won't take it.

He's a Premiership manager. That's why he's been out of work - because he wants a premiership job.

Hughton is a better option. He won the Championship with a team the press had as dropping down another league. He took a bunch of players who didn't want to play and turned them around completely and if it hadn't been for Ashley being a complete jobsworth he would still be in his job. What has Boothroyd done recently? An unimpressive spell with Colchester and sacked by Coventry? Brilliant.

Winning a Championship Playoff 5 years ago isn't exactly impressive.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 16 May 2011, 10:11 am

Allardyce wouldn't be accepted as manager at West Ham, rightly or wrongly.

No doubt he would do a great job, as he has done everywhere, but there is a real emphasis on playing in the 'right' manner down here and Allardyce would struggle to get the fans on side.

Boothroyd looked good early at Watford, but he seems to have slipped after they were relegated and has been and gone from Coventry too.

I could be won over with Hughton...

Like AberdeenSteve said, we are going to lose alot of first team players so the new man has a major task on his hands here.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 16 May 2011, 10:18 am

King Beer wrote:
Electric Demon wrote:Allardyce won't take it.

Hughton is a better option. He won the Championship with a team the press had as dropping down another league. He took a bunch of players who didn't want to play and turned them around completely and if it hadn't been for Ashley being a complete jobsworth he would still be in his job. What has Boothroyd done recently? An unimpressive spell with Colchester and sacked by Coventry? Brilliant.

Winning a Championship Playoff 5 years ago isn't exactly impressive.

Come off it - The media had their knives out for Mike Ashley. What a ridiculous thing to say that Newcastle were favourites to get relegated again. It was papertalk poppycock. They were favourites to win the league. They should have won the league. It was too easy. They had the better players, the better stadium.

Boothroyd's spell with Colchester was a good one. And his Coventry one didn't deserve a sacking.

And his legacy at Watford far surpasses a playoff victory - he worked bloody hard to help create what is now considered one of the best football academy structures in English football, and has helped the club reap the benefits of a conveyor belt of excellent young talent that keep them in the championship when their finances dictate that they shouldn't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 May 2011, 10:31 am

Unfortunately that's the stigma that's attached to Allardyce now, i can't see him getting another Prem job anytime soon.

I think the important thing for West Ham is not to rush into an appointment. See what happens and who is available.

Come off it - The media had their knives out for Mike Ashley. What a ridiculous thing to say that Newcastle were favourites to get relegated again. It was papertalk poppycock. They were favourites to win the league. They should have won the league. It was too easy. They had the better players, the better stadium.

Boothroyd's spell with Colchester was a good one. And his Coventry one didn't deserve a sacking.

And his legacy at Watford far surpasses a playoff victory - he worked bloody hard to help create what is now considered one of the best football academy structures in English football, and has helped the club reap the benefits of a conveyor belt of excellent young talent that keep them in the championship when their finances dictate that they shouldn't.

Newcastle were expected to struggle. Based on Hughton's inexperience, the players not being 'together' and the lack of talent and money. The press all had West Brom as favourites and most pundits were saying we could do a Leeds. It had nothing to do with Ashley. He made stupid decisions but he gave the fans what they wanted, Shearer, and his 'divine inspiration' got us relegated. Ashley has nothing to do with it.

As for Boothroyd at Coventry, you're severely blinkered, he won 1 game in 16 and had a win % of 30. Of course his sackign was deserved. That's relegation form.

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 16 May 2011, 11:09 am

Boothroyd would never succeed at West Ham. He did do a very good job at Watford but since then he has struggled. His run at Coventry was poor. West Ham need someone who has had previous success and has some experience with building a decent squad as that will be the case next season when half the squad leave for PL teams.

Hughton in my eyes is definitely the best choice as he has done it all before with Newcastle.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 16 May 2011, 1:47 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13413159.stm

Moving on from this, it seems like an appointment will come soon.

The bookies have McClaren as favourite. I have mixed feelings on that one, because while his England tenure was a debacle, he has a solid record and I admire the way he went abroad and reignited his career in Holland. Wolfsburg was a bit of a let down, but he was actually doing a lot better than those who came after!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Squirrel Tue 17 May 2011, 3:38 pm

McLaren has pulled out.

Black Squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 17 May 2011, 10:38 pm

Hughton would be a good bet.

After everything Warnock said about West Ham following the Tevez affair I can't see him taking on the job.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down