The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mav Ruined The Friday Quiz So Have This

+3
McLaren
Maverick
Doc
7 posters

Go down

Mav Ruined The Friday Quiz So Have This Empty Mav Ruined The Friday Quiz So Have This

Post by Doc Fri 04 Feb 2011, 2:51 pm

Just 2 questions this time:

1) Where does the word 'Golf' come from - correct answers only please

2) Who was the first player to win a PGA tournament event and a Champions Tour event in the same year?

Doc

Back to top Go down

Mav Ruined The Friday Quiz So Have This Empty Re: Mav Ruined The Friday Quiz So Have This

Post by Maverick Fri 04 Feb 2011, 2:56 pm

Sorry mispent youth getting pumped withgolf trivia!

Who was the first player to win a PGA tournament event and a Champions Tour event in the same year?

Ray Floyd: I believe he won his last ever full PGA event then won a champions event in his debut season and they were the same year

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Mav Ruined The Friday Quiz So Have This Empty Re: Mav Ruined The Friday Quiz So Have This

Post by Doc Fri 04 Feb 2011, 2:59 pm

Flip off Mav and YER BARRED (You know what I actually said)

Any luck with question1?

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 04 Feb 2011, 3:01 pm

As for Golf: Well I know if you believe the Judge in Caddy Shack it means Gentlemen only Ladies Forbidden:
As for golf itself don't quote me on this but im sure when I was studying PE A level I was studying golf as a chosen sport and from memory I did a piece on One of the old Kings maybe James! Trying to ban Ye Golf i norder to get men taking up archery and there was another bit in there about it originating in hooland not scotland! But I may have made that up for the marks!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 04 Feb 2011, 3:05 pm

Mav no harm in trying but you're not going to blag this one mate Very Happy I prefer the caddyshack quote, but must go for the correct answer

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 04 Feb 2011, 3:07 pm

AS said that was just the thing from school, and as for where does it come from im not exactly sure i was blagging my a levels so hey! I got a pass mark!

I prefer the caddyshacke one though myself. I can tell ya that Blackheath is the oldest course in England etc, and many other facts about golfs history but where does it come from I'll leave that to someone else thumbsup

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 04 Feb 2011, 4:26 pm

As far as I know it has its origins in the 15th century but the exact details are unknown.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 04 Feb 2011, 4:41 pm

Mac a century out but like the way you're thinking thumbsup

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 04 Feb 2011, 4:44 pm

I always thought it was called "golf" because all the other good 4 letter words were taken ;-)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 04 Feb 2011, 5:14 pm

Doc not sure where you are getting your info but the golf museum at st andrews says that the first mention, as mav said, was when golf was banned in 1457.

I think before that there was use of words that sounded like golf but there was mainly phonetic spellings back then so any number of similar words may have been used. I have also heard these originate from an older european language. As far as I know the whole thing is a little ambiguous.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 04 Feb 2011, 5:42 pm

I vaguely remember something about the Dutch having a game called 'Kolf', but I don't know whether that's the actual origin of the term.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri 04 Feb 2011, 6:44 pm

Hmm - I have also heard it was a amalgamation of the words 'Go Oaf' used to send the servant to find the projectile. This became gowf from which golf was derived.

Sounds a load of hoohah to me Rolling Eyes
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by ronin47 Sat 05 Feb 2011, 9:50 am

Stolen from Wikipedia:

"A golf-like game is recorded as taking place on 26 February 1297, in the Netherlands, in a city called Loenen aan de Vecht, where the Dutch played a game with a stick and leather ball. The winner was whoever hit the ball with the least number of strokes into a target several hundred yards away. Some scholars argue that this game of putting a small ball in a hole in the ground using golf clubs was also played in 17th-century Netherlands and that this predates the game in Scotland" :crying:

shame

ronin47
ronin47
ronin47

http://www.waterproofgolfjackets.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 07 Feb 2011, 7:54 am

Mav, Mac and Ronin all close but heres the correct answer: thumbsup

The medieval Dutch word "kolf" or "kolve" meant "club." It is believed that word passed to the Scots, whose old Scots dialect transformed the word into "golve," "gowl" or "gouf."
By the 16th Century, the word "golf" had emerged.
Sources: British Golf Museum, USGA Library

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down