The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hansen: "England not worth worrying about"

+13
beshocked
munkian
ChequeredJersey
SecretFly
majesticimperialman
The Saint
Hood83
Breadvan
butterfingers
quinsforever
Biltong
tigerleghorn
GloriousEmpire
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hansen: "England not worth worrying about" Empty Hansen: "England not worth worrying about"

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 27 Oct 2013, 5:24 pm

"England are not even on my mind at the moment. I get a bit frustrated hearing about England. We'll deal about them in England week." All Blacks coach Steve Hansen has explicitly crushed any anticipation that NZ will view England as a grudge or revenge match today by stating emphatically that he doesn't believe they're worth more than a weeks standard analysis and preparation.

Instead Shag is focussing in the twin squad challenge of Japan and France who appear to be the All Blacks targets for the focus of this tour: building depth in key positions, giving DC the challenge of re asserting his position as first pick at 10, and his apprentice projects Savea Jr, Toomaga-Allen and fringe squad members such as Halai.

England are the only team to have dented Hansens unbeaten coaching record on last years end of year tour when they overcame the off colour All Blacks in the final game of the season. But that for Hansen appears not worthy of any greater consideration than any other challenge facing NZ. 

His approach has seen NZ clinch two undefeated rugby championship titles and retain the coveted #1 world ranking despite introducing 16 new All Blacks. 

Is he right to write off England? Or is he walking into a second ambush?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Hansen: "England not worth worrying about" Empty Re: Hansen: "England not worth worrying about"

Post by tigerleghorn Sun 27 Oct 2013, 5:27 pm

GE, not worth worrying about

Tumbleweed Hansen: "England not worth worrying about" 1347041234 

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Hansen: "England not worth worrying about" Empty Re: Hansen: "England not worth worrying about"

Post by Biltong Sun 27 Oct 2013, 5:34 pm

How do you get to writing off England if he specifically states he'll get to them during the week the All Blacks have to face them?

He merely says what every other international coach says.

One week at a time.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Sun 27 Oct 2013, 5:53 pm

Thanks Biltong, Next one GE!!

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 27 Oct 2013, 6:25 pm

Yawn. Complete non-story.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 27 Oct 2013, 6:44 pm

Biltong wrote:How do you get to writing off England if he specifically states he'll get to them during the week the All Blacks have to face them?

He merely says what every other international coach says.

One week at a time.
Is he BT? Isn't there a tendency for other coaches to indulge by making special mention of England? Especially in the unlikely circumstance of having lost to them? 

Anyway, if Shag says France and Japan are a bigger issue and warrant twice the thought, then fair enough.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfingers Sun 27 Oct 2013, 6:54 pm

Anyone worried about this 'Jude' storm supposedly popping up tonight?

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 27 Oct 2013, 7:01 pm

All together:

Hey Jude...

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Sun 27 Oct 2013, 7:02 pm

butterfingers wrote:Anyone worried about this 'Jude' storm supposedly popping up tonight?
Nah, Wife's home on holiday, kids are on half term break and I'm working from home tomorrow.....bring it on!!

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sun 27 Oct 2013, 7:04 pm

butterfingers wrote:Anyone worried about this 'Jude' storm supposedly popping up tonight?
Moved the bins from the side of the house but that's it...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 27 Oct 2013, 7:04 pm

Personally my concern is rather around the inevitable hysterical reaction to some actual weather instead of the endless endless drizzle and mild sun which is the perennial norm.

The locals should be more concerned about the All Blacks storm gathering in Japan and the relentless wave of total rugby headed for these shores.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Sun 27 Oct 2013, 7:12 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Personally my concern is rather around the inevitable hysterical reaction to some actual weather instead of the endless endless drizzle and mild sun which is the perennial norm.

The locals should be more concerned about the All Blacks storm gathering in Japan and the relentless wave of total rugby headed for these shores.
Just a little damp wind and hot air forecast for GE Hansen: "England not worth worrying about" 1347041234 

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sun 27 Oct 2013, 7:18 pm

Inevitable hysterical reaction over NZs arrival this November. Nodded off already...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 27 Oct 2013, 7:47 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Personally my concern is rather around the inevitable hysterical reaction to some actual weather instead of the endless endless drizzle and mild sun which is the perennial norm.

Effortless segue.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfingers Sun 27 Oct 2013, 8:15 pm

Well they have predicted 80mph winds, that should get pretty rough, especially in training tomorrow night.

I don't think the backs will get much out of it...

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 27 Oct 2013, 8:21 pm

I think he should be very worried about England.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 27 Oct 2013, 8:22 pm

GE. HAnsen will not worry about England. Untill they are due to play them.

The All Black motto. One game at a time.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 27 Oct 2013, 8:25 pm

It's started to drizzle. I've locked myself in the bespoke bunker I had made and I'm heAting beans over camping fire. Am I being suitably precautious?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfingers Sun 27 Oct 2013, 8:27 pm

How does a busboy make enough to have his own camping fire? Are there 6 of you in the 2 bed house sharing?

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 27 Oct 2013, 8:29 pm

Wales have no problem sweeping aside England. Perhaps Gats and Hansen, two fellow kiwi's with a lot in common, can meet up before the game. Gats will show Hansen how to beat Eng while Hansen can show him how to beat Aus. Smile

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 27 Oct 2013, 8:39 pm

The Saint.

Maybe Gats can learn how Wales can beat the All Blacks. Maybe not.Yahoo 

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sun 27 Oct 2013, 8:42 pm

And Samoa, Argentina, Japan.....thumbsup
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 27 Oct 2013, 9:02 pm

Nice post madge. Doesn't make much sense, but a decorative emoticon.

Hansen: "Excuse me, how do you do this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21778425"
Gats: "Steve Walsh."

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:29 am

Well it's a bright sunny day, light winds. Few branches off trees, but nothing major. Perfect sailing day in London actually. Reminds me of an autumnal Wellington morning.

For some reason I'm the only one who's showed up for work. Interesting.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:32 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:Well it's a bright sunny day, light winds. Few branches off trees, but nothing major. Perfect sailing day in London actually. Reminds me of an autumnal Wellington morning.

Look behind you Glorious... Is that wings on your back? Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:36 am

The Jude storm has been disappointing, except that all forms of public transport have ceased to function. Very annoying
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:45 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:The Jude storm has been disappointing, except that all forms of public transport have ceased to function. Very annoying
Normal day in blighty then Rolling Eyes 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:52 am

Total and predictable hysterical over reaction just as predicted.

The media in Britain really need to be wound in. They sensationalise everything and precipitate chaos for no reason.

Same with house prices. Ultimately they are responsible for the financial crisis and then they created the propaganda war against banks to cover their arses.

They do the same thing to British sporting teams.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 28 Oct 2013, 10:06 am

I have to say I agree with a lot of that, though not quite to the degree you seem to
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 28 Oct 2013, 10:08 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:Total and predictable hysterical over reaction just as predicted.

The media in Britain really need to be wound in. They sensationalise everything and precipitate chaos for no reason.

Same with house prices. Ultimately they are responsible for the financial crisis and then they created the propaganda war against banks to cover their arses.

They do the same thing to British sporting teams.
Blame it all on history.  The BBC are now duty bound, and petrified with fear bound, to talk up even a shower of drizzle into a full blown Storm of the Century - and all because of one man.............. a weather man called Michael Fish, who misread a genuine Storm of the Century as nothing more than a shower of dizzle many moons ago.

The BBC have been terrified of downplaying anything ever since.  Thus when the first flakes of slush fall from the winter skies this winter, they'll be telling you to avoid the motorways at all costs as there will be 0.000065 milimeters of snow lying on them.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 28 Oct 2013, 10:08 am

Glorious Empire you obviously don't feel the same way as Hansen.

There aren't many posters are obsessed with England as yourself. Getting a little bit worried that you might lose again?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfingers Mon 28 Oct 2013, 10:19 am

beshocked wrote:Glorious Empire you obviously don't feel the same way as Hansen.

There aren't many posters are obsessed with England as yourself. Getting a little bit worried that you might lose again?
It's baby brother syndrome, trying his hardest for the smallest clutch of attention.

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Mon 28 Oct 2013, 11:15 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:Well it's a bright sunny day, light winds. Few branches off trees, but nothing major. Perfect sailing day in London actually. Reminds me of an autumnal Wellington morning.

You'll be pot washing as well as pulling today then!

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 28 Oct 2013, 11:17 am

Gloriuosly Humble. wrote:Total and predictable hysterical over reaction just as predicted.

OP's Headline - Hansen: "England not worth worrying about"
Now if there was ever a case of the pot calling the kettle black, then this would be it. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 28 Oct 2013, 1:21 pm

Id never judge an appliance on the basis of its colour. Black or otherwise.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by MotelMoneyMurderMadness Mon 28 Oct 2013, 1:26 pm

To be fair to Hansen I can understand his comments. As GE says the media seem to imagine England as world beaters and supermen.

I find it embarrassing and I'm sure Johnny foreigner finds it amusing and annoying. It is also probably largely responsible for us being labelled arrogant.

English teams are built up to be knocked over. I always remember some clown reporter asking BOD about how terrified he is about facing Bananaman a few years ago. BOD must have been laughing inside...

MotelMoneyMurderMadness

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Mon 28 Oct 2013, 1:35 pm

MotelMoneyMurderMadness wrote:To be fair to Hansen I can understand his comments. As GE says the media seem to imagine England as world beaters and supermen.

I find it embarrassing and I'm sure Johnny foreigner finds it amusing and annoying. It is also probably largely responsible for us being labelled arrogant.

English teams are built up to be knocked over. I always remember some clown reporter asking BOD about how terrified he is about facing Bananaman a few years ago. BOD must have been laughing inside...
picard 

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by MotelMoneyMurderMadness Mon 28 Oct 2013, 1:50 pm

Face palm? Did I say something silly?

MotelMoneyMurderMadness

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 28 Oct 2013, 1:50 pm

MotelMoneyMurderMadness wrote:To be fair to Hansen I can understand his comments. As GE says the media seem to imagine England as world beaters and supermen.

Great point, well made.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 28 Oct 2013, 1:52 pm

Is it any surprise that the Irish media will ask questions on the Irish team, the English media will ask questions on the English team and the French media will ask whether or not Basteraud has been forgiven in NZ yet?

I don't think its the media building up England or anyone else. Journalists have a mandate to report for their readership. Its a business.

Do AP matches get regularly reported in the NZ herald? I assume not as it holds little interest to their readers... not because they do or don't rate the competition.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon 28 Oct 2013, 2:09 pm

fa0019 wrote:Is it any surprise that the Irish media will ask questions on the Irish team, the English media will ask questions on the English team and the French media will ask whether or not Basteraud has been forgiven in NZ yet?

I don't think its the media building up England or anyone else. Journalists have a mandate to report for their readership. Its a business.

Do AP matches get regularly reported in the NZ herald? I assume not as it holds little interest to their readers... not because they do or don't rate the competition.
Exactly right. Anyone reading press reports and punditry which doesn't bear in mind this essential fact, needs to take a step back and see the wider context. It's far from just the English press who indulge in hyperbole and the like. Indeed, there are plenty of instances of English journalists taking a perverse delight in the demise of some English sporting campaigns.

Further, the press, in some small way forms part of the drama of such occasions. Are we all to be hamstrung by industrial strength 'impartiality'? Who actually wants to continually read statements which are little more than regurgitation of 'facts' such as they may seem to be at the time?!

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon 28 Oct 2013, 2:14 pm

Can we all just take note here that although GE hasn't credited the source of his quote it can be read here: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11147233

An interview with the New Zealand Herald.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 28 Oct 2013, 2:25 pm

OMG. why is there even a thread concerning an interview with the AB coach in NZ?

GE thats really poor and disingenuous of you not to even put the source of the quotation. Wasting everyone's time.

Maybe we should ask the mods to restrict your ability to create new threads until you start doing so in a mature manner?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon 28 Oct 2013, 2:30 pm

quinsforever wrote:OMG. why is there even a thread concerning an interview with the AB coach in NZ?

GE thats really poor and disingenuous of you not to even put the source of the quotation. Wasting everyone's time.

Maybe we should ask the mods to restrict your ability to create new threads until you start doing so in a mature manner?
I think it's important for those posters seizing on this as being an a-typical example of an English press being arrogant/over-the-top to be in possession of all of the facts prior to jumping on any bandwagons.

Of course we could all just be puerile about subjects up for debate.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 28 Oct 2013, 2:42 pm

Did I ever make any claim it was a quote from an interview with the English press? That's not at all the point I was making. If you re-read my original post and actually consider it rather than leaping in all anxious and worked up with prejudice.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by MotelMoneyMurderMadness Mon 28 Oct 2013, 2:52 pm

Ah so its pesky Kiwi journos upto mischief and sending me off on a rant. Apologies to the men and women of the English media then.

MotelMoneyMurderMadness

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 28 Oct 2013, 2:56 pm

Of course to say its an interview "with the NZ herald" is rather naiive. It's an interview with Patrick Mckendry.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon 28 Oct 2013, 2:57 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Did I ever make any claim it was a quote from an interview with the English press? That's not at all the point I was making. If you re-read my original post and actually consider it rather than leaping in all anxious and worked up with prejudice.
Come come now young man you are only serving to fulfil your own prejudice and may I say arrogance with this post. My post wasn't addressed to you, it referred to your rather elementary lack of crediting but was not in response to your original premise. Whatever that may have been.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 28 Oct 2013, 2:58 pm

"England are not even on my mind at the moment" - Meaning:  NZ Coach with too much to think about right now

"England are not even on my mind" - Meaning:  Insulting NZ Coach with seasonal amnesia.

"England are not even." - Meaning:  NZ Coach with a Gambling Problem.

"England are not" - Meaning:  Confident NZ Coach.

"England are." - Meaning:  Pessimistic NZ Coach.

"England." - Meaning: History Channel

Surprising how many takes you can do on one sentence.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon 28 Oct 2013, 3:00 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Of course to say its an interview "with the NZ herald" is rather naiive. It's an interview with Patrick Mckendry.
In what sense naiive?

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next