The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup round 9

+14
Adam D
compelling and rich
Roller_Coaster
superflyweight
The Boss
bhb001
The Womble
Galted
Union Cane
ChequeredJersey
Rowley
JuliusHMarx
seanmichaels
Mind the windows Tino.
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best piece of literature with a place or building in the title

The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 9 ]
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 5 ]
[ 1 ]
The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 6 ]
The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 7 ]
The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 5 ]
The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 6 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 70

The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Empty The Culture Cup round 9

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Here we have round 9 of the Culture Cup and the finishing line is now rapidly approaching still some way off.  This round brings us the poll for 'Best piece of literature with a place or building in the title'.  There will no doubt be some whinging over the definition of what a 'place' or a 'building' is but I am prepared for the whingers and whatever heat they bring.  Azzy probably got the weirdest choice but if you had any idea of the diva strop she threw via PM then you'll understand.  Big blouse that she is.  So what happened in round 8.....

Once again, our two front runners compelling & rich and Hero picked up good points hauls and remain firmly locked in a battle at the top.  With a few rounds to go and a bonus double point round, they are not the only posters in with a chance of ultimate victory.  Breathing down their necks like the drooling pervert he is, michaels picked up a healthy 10 points and cements his place in third.  Not much change below that with Galted, Adam, Azzy, TopHat and onlytreblwinners all glancing up the skirts of those posters just above them.  Adam was the big winner with Planet Earth which was a deserving choice in my opinion.  After I inadvertently stitched him up in the last round, I do feel a slight sense of happiness for him, especially as I know how insecure he is and how much this will boost his fragile self-esteem.  superfly gained a point on his mistress, Rowley, but it is not enough to close the gap that Jeff currently holds.  jbeadlesbigrighthand is still propping up the table, although he will no doubt delight in having so many men on top of him.  Seeing as I don’t really have the opportunity to make a cheap Culture Cup league table related gay gag at Union’s expense, I will just say that Kenny Goss told me that Union is definitely a friend of Dorothy’s.  We will leave it at that.

Hero (Man on Wire): (8) 72
compelling & rich (When we were Kings): (9) 70
seanmichaels (Senna): (10) 65
Azzy (An Inconvenient Truth): (8) 64
Galted (The World at War): (8) 58
Adam (Planet Earth): (12) 58
TopHat (Blue Planet): (9) 54
onlytreblewinners (An Idiot Abroad): (8) 51
Rowley (Bobby Fischer Vs The World): (5) 49
bhb (Roger and Me): (7) 48
The Womble (Don't Look Back): (6) 45
The Boss (Supersize Me): (8) 45
superflyweight (Hoop Dreams): (6) 44
Dolphin (Louis Theroux's Weird Weekend): (7) 41
Union (Klitschko): (5) 39
JuliusHMiseryguts (Around the World in 80 Days): (6) 39
ChequeredJersey (The Thin Blue Line): (5) 35
jbeadlesbigrighthand (Grizzly Man): (5) 32

Round 10 takes us back to music and the question is: What is the best song with an emotion or an emotional response in the title?  For example, love would be an obvious one but a basic google search tells me that there are masses of other good songs with emotions in the title.  I will be the sole judge as to whether it qualifies and, as ever, PLEASE PM A COUPLE OF CHOICES

PLEASE NOTE: LOVE WILL TEAR US APART (JOY DIVISION) AND DON'T LOOK BACK IN ANGER (OASIS) ARE BANNED FROM THE NEXT ROUND

Here is the poll for round 9.  YOU CAN ONLY VOTE FOR ONE SO TAKE YOUR TIME!  Vote cancelling is not allowed.

Remember, IT IS OPEN FOR THE WHOLE FORUM TO VOTE!

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:55 am; edited 4 times in total

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup round 9 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Culture Cup round 9

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 23 Oct 2013, 12:41 pm

Rowley wrote:Southern fairies, the pair of you. On behalf of the north of England I would like to officially disown both of you.
I think we have long established that I am posher than you and achingly middle class now.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 23 Oct 2013, 12:44 pm

Going to go for One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. It's a brillliant book and has the added advantage of not being Jeff's pick.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Oct 2013, 12:45 pm

Being posher than me, well done. That is a claim akin to being brighter than Gordy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Oct 2013, 12:46 pm

superflyweight wrote:Going to go for One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest.  It's a brillliant book and has the added advantage of not being Jeff's pick.  
I am a bit gutted with this round Super. Genuinely thought I was in with a shout, is both a brilliant book and an actual place. Was definitely expecting better.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 23 Oct 2013, 12:49 pm

I'm sitting on no votes and my pick is easily one of the best books ever written.

So it goes (that's a clue).

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 23 Oct 2013, 12:54 pm

bhb001 wrote:If we are boasting, I went to see A Clockwork Orange at the Barbican, performed by RSC, on press night, walking past Bono in the foyer to get to my seat. Cultured AND edgy!!
Surely that was cultured and Bono-ey not Edgy?

Ladies and gentlemen, a (very) crap U2 joke.

Hai thank youw!

Fear & Loathing btw. Excellent book.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:06 pm

It annoys me but michaels has picked a good one for the next round.

I won't vote for it, though.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:59 pm

I'm sure people will agree when they get to see it (December).

Would have been difficult for you to nominate, just had a quick look at the Chris Rea / Peter Gabriel back catalogue and there's not much choice.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:01 pm

seanmichaels wrote:I'm sure people will agree when they get to see it (December).

Would have been difficult for you to nominate, just had a quick look at the Chris Rea / Peter Gabriel back catalogue and there's not much choice.
He could have had Keane, Is It any Wonder, wonder is an emotion.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:07 pm

I'd have gone for You Give Love a Bad Name by Bon Jovi.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:10 pm

If I change to Crazy in Love can I have double points for using two emotions?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:11 pm

seanmichaels wrote:

Would have been difficult for you to nominate, just had a quick look at the Chris Rea back catalogue
I just did the most basic of google searches and found the following:

And You My Love
Nothing to Fear
Loving You
Loving You Again

That is without even starting on Peter Gabriel.  

You really should do a little bit of research before you start being abusive.  It makes you look silly.

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:12 pm

Rowley wrote:If I change to Crazy in Love can I have double points for using two emotions?
Yes. Do you want to change?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:13 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Rowley wrote:If I change to Crazy in Love can I have double points for using two emotions?
Yes.  Do you want to change?
Not really, double of nothing is still nothing so is perhaps not my best idea. Does the same apply to Crazy, Crazy nights, is only one emotion but mentioned twice and it strikes me as the kind of rubbish the wrestling lot will enjoy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:16 pm

Rowley wrote:
Not really, double of nothing is still nothing so is perhaps not my best idea. Does the same apply to Crazy, Crazy nights, is only one emotion but mentioned twice and it strikes me as the kind of rubbish the wrestling lot will enjoy.
OK, you can stick with your original choice. You shouldn't be ashamed, it was a huge hit for Meatloaf.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:27 pm

If I change to Emotion by Samantha Sang do I get more points for covering every emotion?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:29 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
If I change to Emotion by Samantha Sang do I get more points for covering every emotion?
No. The double points offer was only open to the first poster. You missed it by 17 minutes. Better luck next time.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:31 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
No.  The double points offer was only open to the first poster.  You missed it by 17 minutes.  Better luck next time.
Is 'next time' when you change the rules for round 10 later today?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:33 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
No.  The double points offer was only open to the first poster.  You missed it by 17 minutes.  Better luck next time.
Is 'next time' when you change the rules for round 10 later today?
No more rule changes, no more question changes. This lady ain't for turning.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:38 pm

i read one flew over the cuckoos nest as being a reference to the Beijing Olympic stadium the birds nest.

im still not having it though, its not a type of building but a stadium name. you have that you could have emirates and etihad as types of building!

Last edited by compelling and rich on Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:39 pm

Rowley wrote:
Its genuinely one of my favourite songs ever.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:41 pm

Is Torn an emotion? Just asking for a friend.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:42 pm

seanmichaels wrote:

Would have been difficult for you to nominate, just had a quick look at the Chris Rea back catalogue
I just did the most basic of google searches and found the following:

And You My Love
Nothing to Fear
Loving You
Loving You Again

That is without even starting on Peter Gabriel.  

You really should do a little bit of research before you start being abusive.  It makes you look silly.
There was a bit of poetic licence but my computer crashed when I typed in Chris Rea Discography. Thankfully it is up and running again which I doubt would happen if I googled your other Favourite - Jimmy Somerville and the Communards.....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:43 pm

Adam D wrote:
Rowley wrote:
Its genuinely one of my favourite songs ever.

There's a shock

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:45 pm

The Boss wrote:Is Torn an emotion? Just asking for a friend.
Tell your friend she can have it if she wants. Its an emotion in the context of the song.

Apparently.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:45 pm

Rowley wrote:Southern fairies, the pair of you. On behalf of the north of England I would like to officially disown both of you.

I, like Tino, am from the North West. Just "visited" the south for a few years. And when in Rome ....

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:46 pm

Poison- Every rose has a torn it is then

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:47 pm

I can't decide.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:47 pm

The Boss wrote:Poison- Every rose has a torn it is then
Laugh 

Clever.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:48 pm

I'm irish sure begorah. Tis de way we say it.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Wed 23 Oct 2013, 4:00 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
I can't decide.
Laugh 
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:06 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Does flying over a cuckoo's nest count as an emotional response?
Laugh

Good round the next one. A wide open field to choose from, and thank goodness that awful Joy Division song is banned.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:20 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:A wide open field to choose from
It is, and bearing that in mind, if you knew what pick Dolphin had gone for, you would avoid any contact with the man.

It is a genius nomination, absolutely genius. It also a pretty good song and one I desperately want to allow but not sure how it will go down!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:35 am

Allow it, although I expect it'll be 'Sexy And I Know It" by LMFAO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:41 am

If only it was that.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:44 am

Is it "I Touch Myself" by Divinyls?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:46 am

Not a million miles away, actually.

But not right.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:48 am

"Horny" by Mousse T?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:49 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:"Horny" by Mousse T?
Laugh 

No.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:07 am

Well this has had some build up then Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:09 am

If Tino likes it, it will probably be 'Crazy' by Let Loose.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:15 am

seanmichaels wrote:If Tino likes it, it will probably be 'Crazy' by Let Loose.
I'll begrudgingly concede that this made me laugh.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:12 pm

I spent the best part of my morning arguing with Crips, Enforcer and Adam what an emotional response was. Basically, they suggest nothing is.

It was suggested that bananas, and not going bananas but just the fruit bananas as an object, is now an emotion. You can see what I'm dealing with.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 24 Oct 2013, 10:39 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I spent the best part of my morning arguing with Crips, Enforcer and Adam what an emotional response was. Basically, they suggest nothing is.

It was suggested that bananas, and not going bananas but just the fruit bananas as an object, is now an emotion. You can see what I'm dealing with.
It's enough to drive you apples.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:13 pm

That's quite enough from you pear. This thread was peachy until you chimed in. Kiwi leave the fruit jokes alone now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:45 pm

They're a pear of kumquats at the best of times.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:48 pm

Berry funny.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 25 Oct 2013, 6:58 am

God bless the one person to vote for my pick. I want to kiss you - I won't, but I want to.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 25 Oct 2013, 7:15 am

superflyweight wrote:God bless the one person to vote for my pick.  I want to kiss you - I won't, but I want to.
And God bless the one person to vote for my pick as well. I want to kiss you and am prepared to do so.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 25 Oct 2013, 7:27 am

God bless the second person who has voted for my pick. Still a pee poor performance from me but keeps me half a step in front of superfly.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next