The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tony Mowbray sacked

+4
owen10ozzy
Good Golly I'm Olly
NickisBHAFC
GSC
8 posters

Go down

Tony Mowbray sacked  Empty Tony Mowbray sacked

Post by GSC Mon 21 Oct 2013, 7:58 pm

Sad but inevitable. 2013 has been a complete disaster.

Nigel Clough wouldn't be a bad hire with their academy but I heard he's off to Sheffield
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Tony Mowbray sacked  Empty Re: Tony Mowbray sacked

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 21 Oct 2013, 9:39 pm

I am a big Mowbray fan, likes to get teams to play football the right way, was doing a great job with Boro but as GSC has said 2013 has just been a complete write off. The last 2 times i have seen Boro at the AMEX though they have been superb, knock it around well attack and defend very well. Nigel Clough would be the obvious choice.

Tony Pulis maybe?

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Oct 2013, 9:40 pm

Pulis would be a massive mistake.

Boro will want someone to nurture the academy
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 21 Oct 2013, 9:46 pm

Pulis is the favorite, other names being thrown around are

Martin O Neil, Alex McLeish and Nick Barmby.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 21 Oct 2013, 11:28 pm

Inevitable sacking really, he's a good manager I think just couldn't turn it round start of this season, after a disasterous end to last season.

Not really sure who to take over here tbh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:47 am

My letter to Gibson was obviously much better than even I thought! As has already been mentioned it had to happen really. Back to back poor endings to his first 2 full seasons and then this run at the start of this one suggests he wasn't able to motivate/man manage the players out of bad patches!

As a club we cannot afford to go down, we have neither the financial resources nor the town/population to support the stadium and running costs should relegation occur (barely scrape 12,000 now never mind if we went into league 1).

The obvious dilemma now is who do you replace him with!? Tough one as it is not a gig most managers want if I'm being honest. It will either have to be a name who has very close ties to the club or a manager looking for a route back into football whose last job ended on a sour note (i.e. this providing them with chance to recover reputation).

In the latter case that makes Pulis, Clough and O'Neil good choices. However not sure Boro fans would be happy at all with Pulis; for me would be much like a Strachan show all over again.

O'Neil would be a top top appointment but can't see it happening. So that leaves Clough...showed he could work with the youngsters at Burton but never really seemed to click at Derby. Relatively safe and cheap appointment though so very good possibility.

If I was Gibson I would get an older head in and bring in a couple of past players who have coaching/manager experience to work alongside him...Barmby & Juninho spring to mind! Feel everyone at the club needs a bit of a lift and that would provide it!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 22 Oct 2013, 9:12 am

To be fair, from the outside I thought Clough did a good job at Derby. Slash wage bill play better. Two ticks. Could do worse than him.

In my (practically knowledgeless admittedly) opinion I wouldn't be going for Barmby & Juninho for the first team. Maybe get them in to work through academy for a couple of years then reserves and then you'll have a team and coaching set up all pulling the same way. Just whether you've got the time or not?

If you've got a decent enough squad and want guaranteed performance in that league (don't laugh): Warnock. Not a populist choice but doesn't just advocate hoofing it contrary to popular belief, track record of success, gets a good fortress mentality round the team.

O'Neil would take you forward for a couple of seasons if Gibson has any more money left he's willing to throw in (bloody amazing owner imo, a lot would have jacked it).

Last edited by Roller_Coaster on Tue 22 Oct 2013, 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 22 Oct 2013, 10:27 am

Would be O'Neill for me, not sure about Clough but would wait to see what's happening at Palace,Holloway knows how to get a club out of the championship and plays good football.

Think Mogga was alway's up against it scratching around for bargain base players but should definitely given our young uns a chance,they were quality start of last season, and it doesn't help having a centre back like Woodgate 1 game in 3 games out,means no settled defense,that's where the problem has been can't keep a clean sheet.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Oct 2013, 1:21 pm

I'm a big Mowbray fan, I liked the job he did at Albion and although I was happy enough to see him depart the Hawthorns, I did wish him well at the time. Shame he's another of those managers who just can't pick up the pieces and mould them together for a whole campaign.

Best of luck to Boro, I like the club, like the fans, like the pubs in town, like the PL history the club has.

What about getting Fabrizio Ravanelli in? He's just taken his first managerial job at Ajaccio and they're 17th right now. Imagine the buzz in Boro if he came back, and brought in Juninho and Emerson as coaches!

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 23 Oct 2013, 7:45 am

Mike phealan has come in to even money favourite with one bookies.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 23 Oct 2013, 7:44 pm

Holloway sacked after less than 12 months in charge at Palace,despite getting them promotion,Gibson should act quickly,Holloway the man for me,will motivate the players and kick start our season, plays good football as well.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 23 Oct 2013, 8:18 pm

Holloways a short term manager, he'll jump ship as soon as a bette offer arrives
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 23 Oct 2013, 8:36 pm

GSC wrote:Holloways a short term manager, he'll jump ship as soon as a bette offer arrives
5years at Bristol Rovers,5years at QPR,3years at Blackpool not that short term then,

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 23 Oct 2013, 8:37 pm

As soon as he became hot property at Blackpool he ran
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 23 Oct 2013, 8:45 pm

Holloway's good for a few soundbites, he ain't the guy that's gonna fix Boro for me
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 23 Oct 2013, 8:49 pm

How about that Blackpool was his third club in 3 years
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:20 pm

Given the wranglings around his departures from QPR and then Plymouth it is a little unfair to jump on the 'no long term manager bandwagon'.

In fact look at it from the point of how his time at the clubs he has left has come about and you would have to argue that he would love nothing more than to have stayed at a fair few. He admitted he should never have left Plymouth and his contractual situation at Blackpool (where he continued on a rolling contract despite everything he had done for them) was a bit of a slap in the face to Ian if were honest.

The fact he left Palace by 'mutual consent' suggests to me that he would have loved nothing more than to have stayed and seen out the job.

In 17 years of management the man has had 6 clubs...that means he has an almost 3 year average in terms of length of stay! He has gotten out of League 1 and of the Championship twice. He plays the right style of football and can work within a budget. He is a motivational character and not afraid to give the players a kick up the arse if needs be...something I think many people need at the club!

I would most definitely have him at the club!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:45 pm

GSC wrote:How about that Blackpool was his third club in 3 years
Don't mention he got sacked at Leicester,and was in dispute with the chairman at Blackpool,suggest you read owen10ozzys post below sums it up pretty well,and we have some excellent young talent at Boro,Holloway would give them the chance.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 24 Oct 2013, 1:33 pm

Sounds like he quit more than sacked on the BBC. Sounds like he couldn't see a way of making Palace do enough to stay up. Quite noble if he's stepped aside to help the club but not much use to a club wanting to go up and stay there. Almost like admitting he's a champ manager.

Shame, love the guy and his interviews. Great perspective on it all.

Every dog has his day
“They say every dog has his day, and today is ‘Woof Day.’ Today, I just want to bark!"

Mating season
“I couldn’t be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season!”

Better in the dark
“I love Blackpool. We’re very similar. We both look better in the dark.”

Thumb-sucking
“I’ve had such bad luck at the moment that if I fell in a barrel of boobs I’d come out sucking my thumb.”

Great pianist
“It’s all very well having a great pianist playing, but it’s no good if you haven’t got anyone to get the piano on the stage in the first place—otherwise the pianist would be standing there with no bloody piano to play.”

Feeling better
“He’s six-foot something, fit as a flea, good-looking. He’s got to have something wrong with him. Hopefully he’s hung like a hamster! That would make us all feel better.”

Lack of finish
“I watched Arsenal in the Champions League the other week playing some of the best football I’ve ever seen, and yet they couldn’t have scored in a brothel with two grand in their pockets!”

Evolution
“We are an offshoot of apes, allegedly, but who knows? We don’t really, do we? How long have we been on this planet? How long are we going to be here? What is it all about? We reproduce. Our offspring carry on. But that will only happen for a limited time. Before the whole thing blows up and we are sucked into a black hole.”

Ugly as sin
“I don’t see the problem with footballers taking their shirts off after scoring a goal. They enjoy it and the young ladies enjoy it, too. Of course they’d have to go and watch another game because my lads are ugly as sin.”

Gentleman’s terms
“To put it in gentleman’s terms, if you’ve been out for a night and you’re looking for a young lady and you pull one, you’ve done what you set out to do. We didn’t look our best today but we’ve pulled. Some weeks the lady is good-looking and some weeks they’re not. Our performance today would have not been the best-looking bird, but at least we got her in the taxi. She may not have been the best-looking lady we ended up taking home, but it was still very pleasant and very nice, so thanks very much and let’s have coffee.”

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 24 Oct 2013, 3:40 pm

LMAO! Some great quotes there.

The best Mowbray could come up with was, "It is what it is..." and "We are where we are..." Not exactly Churchillian in the inspirational stakes.

The vast majority of us Boro fans were glad to see him go, though we still hold him in great affection (club legend and all that) and wish him all the best.

Quite a few of us are dreaming that maybe...just maybe Roberto Di Matteo can be persuaded to come to the Riverside. Mike Phelan is another popular choice, though most of the other names mentioned here are also doing the rounds in the rumour mill.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Oct 2013, 3:57 pm

See I don't laugh at his quotes, I think he's an idiot in interviews. But I did have respect for his tactics and man-management.

Di Matteo will not work in the Championship, no matter the club. He's waiting for a Juve-type club.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 24 Oct 2013, 4:11 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:LMAO! Some great quotes there.

The best Mowbray could come up with was, "It is what it is..." and "We are where we are..." Not exactly Churchillian in the inspirational stakes.

The vast majority of us Boro fans were glad to see him go, though we still hold him in great affection (club legend and all that) and wish him all the best.

Quite a few of us are dreaming that maybe...just maybe Roberto Di Matteo can be persuaded to come to the Riverside. Mike Phelan is another popular choice, though most of the other names mentioned here are also doing the rounds in the rumour mill.
Will alway's be a Legend and every Boro fan wanted him to take us back to the Premiership,fought his corner no end of times but in hindsight sentimentality took over me rather than common sense.
I was also disappointed the way he discarded our young players,but dyrewolfe this next managerial appointment has to be right, I feel its one of the most important decisions in the history of our club, we still have time to fight our way up this league.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down