The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South African Autumn tour, Wales, Scotland, France.

+17
jimmyinthewell68
Dontheman
Luckless Pedestrian
Mr Fishpaste
TJ
GunsGerms
doctornickolas
emack2
nganboy
Taylorman
The Saint
whocares
maestegmafia
fa0019
Impossible Standards
Tattie Scones RRN
Biltong
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

South African Autumn tour, Wales, Scotland, France. Empty South African Autumn tour, Wales, Scotland, France.

Post by Biltong Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:52 am

On November the 9th South Africa will face Wales at the Millennium Stadium, a week later on the 17th of November South Africa will face the Scotland at Murray field, and then finish their tour off against France on the 23rd of November at Stade de France.

Wales are the Six Nations Champions, their players are in good form, Halfpenny is most likely the 2013 IRB player of the year and his metronomic boot during the British and Irish Lions Tour in Australia has proven once again to be an important aspect of test rugby.

Wales' biggest danger for South Africa lies in their backline, Davies, Roberts, North, Cuthbert and Halfpenny are all a class act, but I believe their half back pairing is where their weakness (if you want to call Phillips, Priestland/Biggar/other a weakness). they have a solid tight five and good back row, do they still perhaps require a strong ball carrier at 8?

This should be a tough match for South Africa first up, I would think they would want to continue with their momentum game, hit the fringes of the breakdowns hard, swing the ball at pace and hopefully there will be a better balance between organisation and open rugby. It will be a must for them to ensure their defensive lines and cover defence is up to the task when Wales gets turnover ball and SA will have to minimise their mistakes.

Scotland will have taken a lot a confidence out of their match they played against South Africa in June, they managed to spoil the breakdown area for the Springboks and had a few good moves scoring two beautifully worked tries. Ultimately in the freezing conditions at Murray field, South Africa will have to buck up their breakdown work and play wide as often as possible. Tim Visser in my view is the weak defensive point out wide, and SA will likely want to exploit that.

France is another kettle of fish, I don't know whether there is much cohesion and team spirit in their dressing room, but SA have struggled there in the last decade. This one could be a blow out either way, if France pitch up we will be in for a tough time.

This will be an interesting tour, South Africa managed to come away unbeaten in Europe last year, but they weren't playing all that well, and each of those games could well have been lost.

Will Meyer get his charges to continue with their progress, will he experiment a little with his selections and will they find the right balance between attack and structured play?

Selections.

The Springbok front row performed well during the Rugby Championship, however I do believe Jannie du Plessis needs a much needed rest, he was pulverised by Steven Kitshoff this past weekend in the Currie Cup and his fatigue is showing. Frans Malherbe looks like one for the future and hopefully he can get an opportunity. I still don't believe Coenie Oosthuizen is a tight head, and Steven Kitshoff is another youngster that deserves a shot.

I hope Gurthro Steenkamp is not selected, he is getting on and we need the youngsters to come through.

In Bismarck and Adriaan Strauss I believe we have two of the best hookers in world rugby, they also compliment each other very well, as Bismarck is more the grinder in the ruck type, where as Strauss is an excellent carrier of the ball.

At lock we do have a bit of an issue, all our locks are very young, there is a string of 4 or so players who shows a lot of promise and should get opportunities soon.

Etzebeth has shown after 18 tests he is a world class act, and can only get better, Pieter Steph du Toit has come back from injury and he has now played a few games of Currie Cup, so should be back in the Springbok squad.

Schalk Burger is back, whether he will have had enough game time to get called up I don't know, he has been eased into the Currie cup with three 20 minute performances, he does concern me a bit, as he looks rather tentative in contact, however having said that, his distribution is something he has worked on, so he might be that vital link man we need.

Arno Botha is still injured so I doubt we will see him. Lappies Labuschagne will hopefully get a call up after a brilliant season. The problem we have in the back row is not lack of talent or depth, but what combination Meyer thinks is best. I would suggest he looks at horses for courses, dependant on the opponent.

At Halfback, surely Piet van Zyl will get a call up, we must give the youngsters a chance.

Johan Goosen played his first game this past weekend, albeit only 15 minutes, and although forgotten man Elgar Watts has been a valuable member of the Cheetahs this year, Goosen showed how well he could get a back line moving this weekend. Is there a chance of seeing him?

Somehow I don't think so, I do however hope we get to see Lambie in the 10 shirt.

Our midfield of Jean de Villiers and JJ Engelbrecht has had a good year, specifically on attack, Engelbrecht do have some defensive lapses though, and something he needs to work on.

Jan Serfontein needs more game time, and hopefully he can start a few games, with Englebrecht using his pace on the wing, where I believe he could be usefull.

Willie le Roux has some defensive weaknesses, something he needs to focus on, We also need to find a replacement for Zane the predictable Kirchner.

All in all this is going to be a tough test for Heyenke Meyer, the question is how much is he prepared to experiment?

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

South African Autumn tour, Wales, Scotland, France. Empty Re: South African Autumn tour, Wales, Scotland, France.

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 15 Oct 2013, 11:15 am

Well Biltong, having watched the highlights of SA v NZ, I can honestly say that the NH opposition don't stand a chance against SA.

They are playing some fantastic rugby at the moment and are my bet for the next WC.

Good luck on the tour OK

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

South African Autumn tour, Wales, Scotland, France. Empty Re: South African Autumn tour, Wales, Scotland, France.

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 15 Oct 2013, 12:44 pm

I can't see Wales beating this boks team if they continue their form from the RC. Wales won't be up to international speed for the 1st game and the boks as a starter is a tough ask.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 15 Oct 2013, 1:11 pm

If Wales put out a performance like they did against England I don't think anyone would have beaten them that day.. the question is, can they do it against a bok 930kg pack??? I would say doubtful but its the key to stopping the boks.

Scotland nullified their breakdown in the summer tour, they were aggressive and SA were paper tigers. Frans Louw, Bismarck DP are so important to the side here.  With Warburton, Tipuric they can really cause problems.

I'd target Engelbrecht in defence, not his strong point and a key position at 13. I'd have North charging down that channel all game.

For SA its rather more simple... put the Welsh on the backfoot and I can't see them competing. A pack of Beast, Bismarck, Oosthuizen, Flip, Eben, Alberts, Louw & Vermeulen would probably do the trick.

I would say the Scotland match could be the toughest.... wait for it before you laugh!!!

In the 3 match tour its Wales, Scotland and then France in 3 consecutive weeks. Scotland is the easiest match on paper and the one where Meyer is most likely to rest players, experiment with positions.

But with good Scottish weather and pumped up players I could see Scotland doing damage. They tore into SA during their quad series tour and without first choice players like Louw and Bismarck I think Scotland could dominate there... their replacements in Strauss, Kolisi etc just aren't the same calibre in rucks.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 15 Oct 2013, 1:15 pm

I think all three games are potential banana peels if we aren't on song.

Scotland for some reason we can't play in freezing weather.

Wales, their time surely has to be now?

France, never know what to expect.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Oct 2013, 1:15 pm

It will be a devastatingly difficult game first up for Wales. After so little time pre match training it will take a great deal of top quality coaching to get Wales back to where they left off in the six nations.

A good performance and a win would be a big surprise against a very talented Bok team.

I think our squad will be announced shortly so we'll have an idea who is in the running for the ten shirt and the centre combo..

Plenty of choice in the pack, front five in particular.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Oct 2013, 1:16 pm

Biltong wrote:I think all three games are potential banana peels if we aren't on song.

Do you think that after a decent RC that Meyer might be tempted to blood a few players or does this tour mean too much to the Boks?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 15 Oct 2013, 1:23 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Biltong wrote:I think all three games are potential banana peels if we aren't on song.

Do you think that after a decent RC that Meyer might be tempted to blood a few players or does this tour mean too much to the Boks?
I would hope he experiments a little, but he has always said every test is a must win, so I don't think he will experiment a lot. It will surprise me if he does.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 15 Oct 2013, 1:25 pm

France will be in disarray after losing to Tonga and being destroyed by the ABs. it will be cold and the game might be cancelled because of snow in the stade de france! and we havent announced who will sing the South African national anthem yet ! Wink

more seriously, game number 3 is normally the one that is the more difficult for France so hope there wont be a lot of injuries and that players will be up for it! I usually enjoy those matchups with the Boks so would have prefered to start with them.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Oct 2013, 1:45 pm

whocares wrote:France will be in disarray after losing to Tonga and being destroyed by the ABs. it will be cold and the game might be cancelled because of snow in the stade de france!  and we havent announced who will sing the South African national anthem yet ! Wink

more seriously, game number 3 is normally the one that is the more difficult for France so hope there wont be a lot of injuries and that players will be up for it! I usually enjoy those matchups with the Boks so would have prefered to start with them.

I think most Welsh fans would be keen to swap weekends with our Gaelic buddies... We'll take them third up and you can go in fresh faced...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 15 Oct 2013, 1:50 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
whocares wrote:France will be in disarray after losing to Tonga and being destroyed by the ABs. it will be cold and the game might be cancelled because of snow in the stade de france!  and we havent announced who will sing the South African national anthem yet ! Wink

I think most Welsh fans would be keen to swap weekends with our Gaelic buddies... We'll take them third up and you can go in fresh faced...
cool, so you face the ABs first then Smile

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 15 Oct 2013, 5:01 pm

Biltong, do you know if SA will be enforcing, shall we say, Meyer's Law from now? In which Boks playing outside of SA will not be selected for international duty.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 15 Oct 2013, 5:07 pm

not a chance, the Saint.

Fourie Du Preez & Ruan Pienaar his no. 1 & 2 scrumhalves both play abroad. He has supremely talented players in Piet van Zyl but doesn't look like he wants to even try his luck with him.

Same will go for Morne Steyn, Bryan Habana, Gunthro Steenkamp, Frans Louw etc.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 15 Oct 2013, 5:11 pm

He needs to bring those guys through sooner or later... I would prefer if Steyn, Habana, Louw, etc all featured though.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 15 Oct 2013, 5:13 pm

This is Meyers ideal chance to consolidate his progress so far. Its his last spell with the side before the break and then the sxv. Oddly fitness and ball skills needs to be high on the training agenda over the next four weeks as will sorting the defence, all without falling off the set pieces.

Do they get Currie cup dispensation over this period biltong? Our ITM semis are this weekend so we wrap up next week.

Exciting times ahead.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 15 Oct 2013, 5:13 pm

I think he has to give Lambie and Goosen a run. Let Morne settle at SF. Louw is very important to the boks. instrumental in fact... if he's injured it looks grave for SA.

I still think an old WP Burger, Louw & Vermeulen 678 for the boks would be achievable... what a trio that would be... won't happen this season though.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 15 Oct 2013, 5:14 pm

No mate, last weekend most of the Boks played Currie Cup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 15 Oct 2013, 5:15 pm

Well the bulls players will have a rest at least Laugh

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 15 Oct 2013, 5:20 pm

Laugh 

Yeah, all of them , but then the Bulls as a whole took the entire Currie Cup off. laughing 
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:13 am

Biltong wrote:No mate, last weekend most of the Boks played Currie Cup
There you go that's your problem - Boks are being asked to do too much. Need a break mate. All we face this weekend is the Aussies.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sat 19 Oct 2013, 1:46 am

Not sure how true this is but it was reported on french tv that Bakkies Botha would be part of the SA team this autumn.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 6:06 am

"All we face is the Aussies"Ngan boy?3rd Bledisloe is a potential banana skin that attitude
screwed the AB`s in there last two 3rd up meetings.Especially as it is one of the weakest
AB sides since Ist France2009.Aussies have nowt to lose and if the play like versus Argentina
so not a given.
Back on topic France for both Nz and SA who knows there so unpredictable on recent form
both away wins BUT?
Wales have a dreadful record against you BUT have a solid scrum /setpiece plus good backs
hoodoo`s are vanishing this season.But away win
Scotland surprisingly have a very respectable record against you indeed the only team to
defeat you since 2009 [barring 2 SH sides].But away win.
I.e a clean sweep for the Boks good luck to your lads Biltong but I`ll be cheering on my
"AIN FOLK"Hug 

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 21 Oct 2013, 12:38 am

No banana peel at least but 30+ points is a little disconcerting. Looking at recent scores Wales have looked close to upsetting the Boks. Sides that do beat the boks have tended to be those that run the ball more but not sure if that applies to this Bok side, who are looking at a good diet of tries in their latest menu...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 21 Oct 2013, 11:25 am

Dont worry emack I was being sarcastic
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 21 Oct 2013, 12:00 pm

nganboy wrote:Dont worry emack I was being sarcastic
element of truth though...

It was the Currie Cup SF on the weekend and the intensity was pretty high, some of the hits were painful to watch with most boks (bar the those from the Versfeld) taking part.

What would you say is a bigger physical challenge....your squad players playing a Currie Cup SF or playing AUS???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Oct 2013, 12:15 pm

Taylorman wrote:No banana peel at least but 30+ points is a little disconcerting. Looking at recent scores Wales have looked close to upsetting the Boks. Sides that do beat the boks have tended to be those that run the ball more but not sure if that applies to this Bok side, who are looking at a good diet of tries in their latest menu...
What do you think of the Bok defence...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 21 Oct 2013, 12:33 pm

Not as good as it should be... a lot of missed tackles as they are always looking for the turnover rather than simply tackle the player.

Something the NH opposition can certainly exploit.... Engelbrecht at 13 is a specific defensive weakness... I'd have North, Cuthbert and Roberts down his channel all day. JDV never misses at 12 though.

3/4s are not the best defensively either... Le Roux isn't the best, Habana is solid but not sure if  he will tour???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Oct 2013, 1:19 pm

Roberts is out and Cuthbert too potentially, though early diagnosis say its just a knock.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 21 Oct 2013, 1:42 pm

South Africa's issue on defence was mostly first time tackles on turn over ball. Defences not set up as they were attack minded.

I am sure Meyer will ensure a more balanced approach.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Oct 2013, 2:59 pm

JDV didn't seem to make too many mistakes and Englebrecht looks superb in attack. My wife thought he was rather fetching too...!

The Welsh pack front runners are not playing to their best at regional level at the moment. This match migt be too soon in the season for Wales to put a win over the Boks.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Mon 21 Oct 2013, 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 21 Oct 2013, 3:05 pm

JP who?

I agree that it may be a bit early, or at least they would have wanted a tune up game first perhaps against Argentina, Samoa etc... ok well maybe not Wink.

Engelbrecht is learning, decent in attack although I wouldn't say he's doing anything more then keeping the seat warm for someone else.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Oct 2013, 4:10 pm

Spellchecker typo...!

Who is Englebrecht keeping the seat warm for?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 21 Oct 2013, 4:16 pm

sorry maesteg.... wasn't sure if you were meaning JP Pietersen, thought you were meaning JJ but wasn't 100%.

Fourie will be back for the RWC and Frans Steyn is a first choice player when fit... meaning JDV would move to 13 if he were to make it to the RWC15.

I still think that a Steyn-Fourie partnership is the most likely combination leading into the world cup... and thats with the current batch of players... SA always seems to produce 1 or 2 players each year so I expect perhaps 1 or 2 more to come into the equation by then.

I still see JJ as a winger primarily.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 21 Oct 2013, 4:36 pm

Jacques Fourie and JP Pietersen has both made themselves available for the Springboks in November.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 21 Oct 2013, 4:37 pm

I wouldn't take either to be honest BB... next season fine but for the AIs I would think they can test out a few players, work some youngsters in.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 21 Oct 2013, 4:39 pm

I agree with you FA, I would in fact like to see a Bok team with no overseas players.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 21 Oct 2013, 4:41 pm

Do you think Catrakilis should join the squad? Quite impressive infact both kicking and organising to me at least... Lambie has the kudos from Meyer but I think Catrakilis at the moment is the form 10 in SA... perhaps over the last 2 seasons.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 21 Oct 2013, 4:49 pm

I would have liked to see Catrakilis play another season of Super Rugby for the Stormers before selecting him, unfortunately Goosen is not ready yet, Lambie will be mychoice to start the November tests, due to Goosen not being ready I think taking Catrakilis with and giving him 10 minutes here and there could be a good experiment.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 21 Oct 2013, 5:23 pm

I wouldn't worry about playing Catrakilis... he seems to be quite a head strong chap... it was proven by him moving to the Kings and showing that he had what it took to put himself on the line, take a chance etc.

I'm more and more impressed about the guy as the season goes on.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:39 pm

Wales missing Roberts and Cuthbert is a big blow. They are 2 of our big ball carriers and big game players. Cuthbert has been on fire scoring tries for fun so to lose him to injury last week is huge. He has a tendon that has partially pulled away from the bone so we won't be seeing him at all in the Autumn internationals.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:44 pm

It is a shame about Cuthbert, he is my favourite Welsh player.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:56 pm

Biltong, you might like Liam Williams and Eli Walker. Two wingers with very different styles of play. You might have seen Liam before, he took North's place when we last played the All Blacks.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 23 Oct 2013, 1:58 pm

May have lost Roberts as a carrier. But North, S.Williams and Davies are all good carriers.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:06 pm

Will watch out or them in November. Wink 
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:07 pm

It's your team that needs to be watching out for them......
Wink

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 23 Oct 2013, 2:20 pm

I am sure they will. Hug 
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Oct 2013, 3:00 pm

Biltong. Which game are you most looking forward to?

Obviously, Im sure you are glad you arent playing Ireland as they are your biggest nemisis.

However, France when they click can beat anyone including themselves, Wales are very strong right now and Scotland with respect are always a banana skin.

Who are the biggest threat and which game are you most excited about?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 23 Oct 2013, 3:28 pm

I get nervous before every test Guns.

Against Wales I worry that we will start poorly, in the past few years they have often gotten away with blistering starts and gotten 14 points ahead and then we had to play catch up.

Against Scotland I am always concerned about Murrayfield, for some reason we simply don't play well there, I can't tell you whether it is the cold weather or late season, but we suck there, add to that the manner in which they manage to frustrate and slow our game down, we never seem to get into a rhythm.

France has been very successful against us in the pro era, even in SA, with them it is the unpredictability.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Oct 2013, 3:30 pm

Thanks Billtong. Very diplomatic as always.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 23 Oct 2013, 3:34 pm

I am the epitome of diplomacy. Wink 

Check in the latest Oxford dictionary. Very Happy 
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next