The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yankees V Boston Thread

+2
calamity jane
Gaelic-Warrior
6 posters

Go down

Yankees V Boston Thread Empty Yankees V Boston Thread

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Sat May 14, 2011 5:13 am

A wee bit quiet recently so thought I'd set up a thread for this important rivalry series. Dissapointing loss for New York last night (good thing I never watched the game after all). After falling behind and then equalising at 2-2 in the 5th inns we fell further behind in the 7th as red sox runs came in from ellsbury and kevin youkilis hits a homer for two (youkilis & pedroia). We fought back late in the 8th and 9th inns with scores from granderson after a wild pitch (8th) and Jeter came in at the bot 9th.

We were out hit by boston 9-8 and red sox pitcher bucholz pitched in 7 inns, a season high for him. Looking for a better performance from the Yankees tonight, we need to be more productive with our at bats, Tex for example, made no hits in 5 ABs. In these important series we need our big hitters to be performing as they had earlier on this season. Decent performane from Colon on the mound though with a 3.74 ERA and only conceded 5 hits and 2 earned runs.

Should be a good game tonight and hoping for a Yanks win-
C'mon you Yankeees!
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Yankees V Boston Thread Empty Re: Yankees V Boston Thread

Post by calamity jane Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 am

I took a risk and went to bed after the 7th inning. Normally this backfires on me and I find out the next day that Boston somehow managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. But they held on this time.

As you say, it should be a good game tonight. Unfortunately it clashes with the opening game of the Bruins' Eastern Conference Final against Tampa Bay, so I'll only see bits of it. Go Sox!

Last edited by calamity jane on Sat May 14, 2011 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected typos - note to self: next time put your glasses on when typing)

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Sun May 15, 2011 5:31 am

What? You went to bed, what time did they show the game in Boston?

What a complete disaster last night Shocked a 6-0 defeat at home. Outhit and outplayed. In 4 at bats each russel martin and A Rod had no hits and with 3 AB's there was no hits for cano either. Poor show from CC too, giving up 6 earned runs and a homer and ended with a 3.47 ERA compared with beckett's 1.75 in 6 inns. Girardi got ejected for arguing with the umpire too. Just not good enough.

Tampa beat boston 5-2 in the hockey Yahoo
Sorry Jane, but, if I'm not getting a good baseball result, you're not getting a good result for the bruins Whistle
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by calamity jane Sun May 15, 2011 9:10 am

Hey, I'd had a tough week and needed an early night! Very Happy (OK, I'll admit it. I went to the pub straight from work and fell asleep on the sofa when I got home)

And as for last night, well a great result for the Sox, but oh god what a nightmare watching the Bruins (letting in three goals in ninety seconds does not win you many games). I kept thinking about switching channels but decided I had to stick with my boys in black and gold. furious

I was keeping up with the baseball via the computer, and have to say I was surprised at CC, I was expecting a much closer matchup between him and Beckett.

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by rich1uk Sun May 15, 2011 11:27 am

not a good run for the yankees atm , considering we have been getting some decent starting pitching for the last week or so , the runs have just dried up

over the first 2 games of this series we are something like 1-14 with risp

not sure what to make of the posada situation , when they said during the match that he would be making a statement to the media afterwards i half expected to see that he had retired when i checked the mlb website this morning

with the rest of the team struggling a little we just cant afford to be carrying him, the experiemnt with moving him to DH clearly hasn't worked, hes obviously not going to play as a catcher again, so not sure how else this can end up.

rich1uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Sun May 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Beckett has definately had the sign over us this season, we've been unable to score against the sox this season when he's been on the mound. Should've stuck to watching the baseball Jane laughing

I'm not sure about posada either rich. It came as a suprise anyway, apparantly he had a stiff back and needed to be taken off the roster for the game to "clear his head". We definately don't need this atm and we need to be keeping the heat on tampa and staying clear of the resurgent sox. What a fine time to have a slump in form.

Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Mon May 16, 2011 7:17 am

Unbelievable. A 7-5 defeat means that we've been swept by....that mob up the road. Looks like the posada situation is back to normal with him pinch hitting and being walked in the 8th. On the whole a better performance offensively, but, some of our defensive play was shocking. The 3rd was key, Garcia conceding that 3 run homer from youklis when we had the sox 4-1 down and on the ropes was what opened it up for the sox and ruined our day.

Well played to Boston though, the first time we've been swept in a 3 game rivalry series at our new home. As for us, we're really going to need to get the finger out, we've been knocked down but we need to come back immediately. We've got a good opportunity to slow down the rays next before going on the road againt to baltimore. Then we've got that big subway series at the weekend.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Mon May 16, 2011 12:11 pm

SWEEP, SWEEP. How do you like us now New York? Yahoo

Ok, calm down. Still early! But always very nice!!

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:33 pm

Red Sox win 6-4. That makes it 6-1 Sox against NYY for the season. Boston have won all the games in New York (4) so far this season. Tied at the top of the East but Yanks have played one game fewer than Boston. Lester was not great but held out for win, Garcia was BAD, only went 1.2 innings Papelbon's save was his 200th.

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:17 am

Probably just as well I missed this game, will be watching the highlights later. This is a perfect opportunity for us to get some sort of lead on the rest of the division. Hopefully we don't fall apart like last time and waste it.

Completely forgot about this thread actually, nice one Healer, we can use this for all NYY V Sox games this year.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:27 am

Gaelic-Warrior wrote:Probably just as well I missed this game, will be watching the highlights later. This is a perfect opportunity for us to get some sort of lead on the rest of the division. Hopefully we don't fall apart like last time and waste it.

Completely forgot about this thread actually, nice one Healer, we can use this for all NYY V Sox games this year.

I thought the Sox were going to blow this in the 9th, well just Papelbon in fact. I had an image of A-rod hitting a HR to tie it and Boston losing in extras. The tide had started to flow NY's way at that stage.

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by calamity jane Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Flicking over to tonight's game (I'm watching the Bruins, but keeping an eye on this one) and it's 8-5 to the Red Sox in the eighth. Tim Wakefield was pretty solid and Aceves took over in the seventh.

If Boston win this one tonight, they take first place on their own.

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by calamity jane Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:57 pm

11-6 Boston. Woohoo!

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:48 am

🤦

What a disaster. We did well to at least try and fight our way back from 7-0 down in the 4th, 5th and 6th but were unable to keep up. AJ was, as usual agaist boston, absolute rubbish. In about 5 inns he gave up 7 hits and about 8 runs including a homer by david ortiz. It was his fault we had such a large deficit by the 5th. Just not good enough, in fact, I don't think he has even got a win against the red sox with the Yankees. Has he!?

An historic win for Boston last night actually- the very first time we've lost five home games in a row to the sox since 1913!!!
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:54 am

Gaelic-Warrior wrote: 🤦

Just not good enough, in fact, I don't think he has even got a win against the red sox with the Yankees. Has he!?

To answer your question, no he has not. This nugget from the great baseball site, www.Baseball-reference.com
A.J. Burnett has started 8 times for the Yankees against the Red Sox. The grisly totals: 41.1 IP, 8.71 ERA (10.23 R/9), 5.7 BB/9, 1.89 WHIP.
The Yanks have lost 6 of those 8, with Burnett going 0-4. He was 5-0 against Boston before donning pinstripes; wasn't that given out as one of the reasons they signed him?

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:04 pm

HHealer wrote:wasn't that given out as one of the reasons they signed him?

It sure was. I hope he dosen't end up turning into one of those curses on us when we play the red sox!!! Shocked
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:43 pm

Big game tonight - can CC stop the rot? He'd better had.

Re comments about Baltimore's relative lack of success this season compared to Showalter's good record last year;
Oakland just fired Bob Geren, getting swept by the Yanks then losing two in Camden Yard too much for them - my ndn was at last night's game on the first part of his annual baseball odyssey, Phillies tonight, then The Stadium vs Cleveland, then home - I'll be interested to see what he has to say about Baltimore, as the Yankees radio team always big them up, even when we're beating them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:51 pm

Sox go for the sweep tonight. (fingers crossed)
But it looks like Pedroia might be gone for a while, if a checkup on his knee is more serious than believed he could be out for 2 maybe 3 months. There must be some worry to pull him from a NY series to go for tests in Boston. Tonight Scutaro will fill his (tiny) shoes filling in at 2B and batting second. Lowrie back in team to play SS.

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Joba for Tommy John surgery?
That's what yahoo sports is saying. That's not good.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:27 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Joba for Tommy John surgery?
That's what yahoo sports is saying. That's not good.

Torn ligaments in his right elbow. He was reaching for another candy bar from the top shelf in the bullpen last night!!
On a serious note Yankee fans, he could be shut down til next spring!

In other injury news, Pedrioa only has bruising on his knee!! panic averted. Some people, ahem, (see post above) Whistle may have got carried away and predicted Dustin would be out til Sept.

Last edited by HHealer on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:33 pm

After a 3 hour 30 minute rain delay they will be playing baseball in the Bronx! Its 22.30 in NY and this game could go on for 4 hours plus!! Shocked

The Sox are back in NY for 3 games in Sept. could they not play a double header then?? Instead of playing infront of an empty stadium in the early hours of the morning now!

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:37 am

3 more hbp's.
Yankees are too old, too rich and too comfortable.
Where's the fighting spirit?
Time to bring back Billy Martin.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:44 am

We do well in bits and pieces and when we're presented with an opportunity we blow it. A super 7th from the sox in which CC just seemes to fall apart. We need less post-game excuses and more passion, fight and better performances.

Swept and six in a row in the bronx for Boston for the first time since before the Fist World War!
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:44 am

NYY@BOS series this weekend; going into it with BoSox up by 1.

Yes, folks; it's another classic match race in the AL East this year.

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Pitching match-ups;

Friday, Colon V Lester.
Saturday, CC V Lackey.
Sunday, Garcia V Beckett.
-Going to say 2-1 to Sox, putting them 2 games ahead by Monday.

All games are on ESPN/ESPN America.

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:28 pm

WhiteCamry wrote:NYY@BOS series this weekend; going into it with BoSox up by 1.

Yes, folks; it's another classic match race in the AL East this year.

My mistake; they're tied for first.

BOS 68 42 .618 -
NYY 68 42 .618 -
TBY 58 52 .527 10.0
TOR 56 55 .505 12.5
BAL 43 65 .398 24.0

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:17 am

Ha! Hope you enjoyed you're sweep last time losers, because that's ancient history now. 3-2 at Fenway gives us our 8th win in a row. Runs from nunez, DJ and granderson pushed us in front in the 6th and our bullpen was solid, Boone Logan did excellent in the 5th against adrian gonzalez to keep you at 2. I think I'm going to enjoy this series, that was Flip awesome!

And we're back on top of the div Yahoo

NYY 69 42 .622
BOS 68 43 .613
TBR 59 52 .532
TOR 57 55 .509
BAL 43 66 .394

The Boston who? Laugh
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:58 am

Well, don't I look like the Flip aresehole! Well played Boston yesterday- 10-4 red sox at Fenway.

What's with sabathia these days? Do the Yankees have some sort of cloning machine, CC seems to have turned into AJ.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:21 am

Why would you seek to criticise Sabathia Gaelic?

He's only won 16 games so far this season, admittedly a poor record vs Boston, but no-one in the country has won more. Plus he eats up a shedload of innings, just a great pitcher - apart from perhaps Verlander, surely the best starter in the A.L.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:49 am

Aye, he's a great pitcher, but what I am criticising is his recent performance against boston. He's had 4 straight defeats against the red sox so far and in yesterday's game 7/10 of boston's runs and 9 hits came on his watch. He's a great pitcher but against the red sox there is a notable difference in his performances.

Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:51 am

Don't know if you saw the game, Gaelic, but the Yanks let Lachey off the hook more than once, left nine men on and generally failed to make the most of chances we had. Opposite for Boston.
Boston might think the World Series is won in August but looking forward here to the next 2 1/2 months.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Didn't catch the game but did get some match reports. Sounds like more of the same from the last series. CC hasn't played as well against the sox as he has other teams recently and I hope he improves. To stay in contention we need more consistency when we are in these situations, we seem to throw opportunities away when we have the chance to hold onto a lead in the div.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:38 am

Again, another opportunity lost. We squandered a 2-1 lead in the 9th and the sox get a winner in extra 10th inns. A similar story which has now become the norm in this season's series as NYY fail to score in 10 times when we were in scoring position. Failing to take the chances we had has cost us once again in a big series. We've got a day off today with Boston now leading AL East by one game, we need to pick ourselves up for the home series' against LAA followed by the Rays.

Rumours are AJ will start ahead of Phil Hughes on Tuesday.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:36 pm

Why didn't Girardi tell Gardner to steal third on the next pitch after stealing second? Jeter could have squeezed him home and the Yanx would have led 3-1 going into the bottom of the 9th.

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:07 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Don't know if you saw the game, Gaelic, but the Yanks let Lachey off the hook more than once, left nine men on and generally failed to make the most of chances we had. Opposite for Boston.
Boston might think the World Series is won in August but looking forward here to the next 2 1/2 months.

C'mon kwinigolfer, Im sure you know lots of Sox fans up there in VT, no real Sox fan ever believes the WS is won in August!! Very Happy
We have seen enough of late season pain down the years to not believe its real till its in the hands. As for the players, Id doubt it.

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:14 pm

WhiteCamry wrote:Why didn't Girardi tell Gardner to steal third on the next pitch after stealing second? Jeter could have squeezed him home and the Yanx would have led 3-1 going into the bottom of the 9th.

Do you know for sure he didnt give him the sign?
You have to remember that for a steal at third Gardner would have to run through Paplebons field of vision, as he's a right handed pitcher. Its a harder thing to do, to go 2nd to 3rd than from 1st to 2nd against a right handed pitcher, i.e. as 1st to 2nd you go behind his back , so to speak. Pap throws at 90+, as the pitch sequence below shows, it got to the catcher pretty quickly, Gardner would have to be very very fast to pull it off, the odds were against it really. As you can see the Sox were defending against the steal with a pitch-out in the first pitch to Jeter, plus you had Jeter up, who knows how to hit, followed by Granderson, a single would have probably scored the runner. A better gamble than trying to steal in that case.

Paplebon to Jeter in the 9th inn. Sunday night;
Speed Pitch Result
1 88 Pitchout Pitchout
2 95 Fastball (Four-seam) Swinging Strike
3 95 Fastball (Four-seam) Ball
4 82 Slider Ball
5 95 Fastball (Four-seam) Foul
6 97 Fastball (Two-seam) In play, out(s)

Last edited by HHealer on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Oh yea,
Sox win, thats 10-2 for the season. We own you spankees!! Yahoo
The Yankees are back in Fenway at the end of the month, wonder if CC skips the series. He's running scared!!

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:52 am

Healer,
Way too many Red Sox fans up here "in Vermont", makes for some very painful moments I can assure you.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:48 am

What a tight finish that was. Great double by Martin and 4-2 up in the 9th but still worried with the bases loaded, actually expected the jammy sox to get a hit at any time. Great when Gonzalez was struck out to give us another rare win at Fenway this season. Hopefully we'll get another good show against the jays tonight.

Yahoo
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down