The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nam!

+11
superflyweight
compelling and rich
seanmichaels
jimmyinthewell68
Stella
Adam D
Galted
westisbest
hornbloweroafc
Mind the windows Tino.
ONETWOFOREVER
15 posters

Go down

Nam! Empty Nam!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 03 Oct 2013, 12:03 pm

This week marks 50 years since the start of the Vietnam war. A war that divided a nation in a decade famous for revolutions, protests and anachy. Since the end of the war there have been numerous Vietnam movies that attempted to capture the true nature of the conflict. Many died and many who were their suffer today as a consequence of what they experianced in the jungles of Vietnam.

In honor of all that died or are suffering on both side I would like to know your prefered Vietnam movie. Mine will always be Platoon. Filmed from the view of a fresh army recruit, Platoon was the first movie that I can remember seeing about the war back in the 80's. I did not know anything about the war itself but there was guns and explosions and I was just a kid but looking back on it I liked the way Oliver Stone weaved the sights and sounds of the 60's in a very well made movie.

The scene where Wilem Defoe is double crossed by Tom Berenger and shot down while trying to escape is one that I will remember, also the main charactor being taken away from what must have been hell on earth on a chopper looking back at all his comrades still stuck in the jungle is another.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Nam! Empty Re: Nam!

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 03 Oct 2013, 12:24 pm

Probably Platoon for me as well although there are plenty of other good ones.

I love the relationship Charlie Sheen has with Defoe and Berenger.  It is the best I have ever seen Tom Berenger act, that Character of Barnes was made for him.

The scene in the village when Bunny exacts revenge and caves the cripples head in with his shotgun butt is a tough watch.  As is the part when Barnes shoots the village elders wife in the head.  Gruesome stuff.  I also love the scene in the bunker when they are all smoking weed to the fading out strains of Smokey Robinson and Tracks of my Tears.  A real calm moment before the storm kicks back in.  It's a great film, it really is.

Casualties of War is excellent, and I like Hamburger Hill as well.

Apocalypse Now has its moments but can be a pretentious load of nonsense in parts.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 03 Oct 2013, 12:30 pm

Full Metal Jacket, Deer Hunter are good.

Jacob's Ladder is excellent as well. Not strictly about the war itself but it plays a huge part.

We We Soldiers has one or two excellent scenes, despite the film occasionally showcasing everything bad about Mel Gibson. The scene when the flare lights up the US marines on the floor of the rice paddy amongst Vietnamese fighters is just brilliant the first time you see it. Also the scene when the stretcher bearers grab the injured soldiers legs and the skin comes away. Shocking but very realistic I would imagine.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Thu 03 Oct 2013, 12:33 pm

Rambo: First blood!
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 03 Oct 2013, 12:38 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Probably Platoon for me as well although there are plenty of other good ones.

I love the relationship Charlie Sheen has with Defoe and Berenger.  It is the best I have ever seen Tom Berenger act, that Character of Barnes was made for him.

The scene in the village when Bunny exacts revenge and caves the cripples head in with his shotgun butt is a tough watch.  As is the part when Barnes shoots the village elders wife in the head.  Gruesome stuff. I also love the scene in the bunker when they are all smoking weed to the fading out strains of Smokey Robinson and Tracks of my Tears.  A real calm moment before the storm kicks back in.  It's a great film, it really is.

Casualties of War is excellent, and I like Hamburger Hill as well.

Apocalypse Now has its moments but can be a pretentious load of nonsense in parts.
An amazing scene, loved it to.
Great song.

Loved Platoon. Great fim great cast and very well acted.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 03 Oct 2013, 12:43 pm

Casualties of War for me, by some distance.  Full Metal Jacket was good until they got to Vietnam/Battersea.  Apocalypse Now is just a collection of music videos that doesn't really come off as a film, a bit like a collection of short stories masquerading as a novel.  Not much of a fan of Platoon, watched it again recently & the few good scenes are outweighted by overacting and Oliver Stone cliche and melodrama.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 03 Oct 2013, 12:56 pm

Galted wrote:Casualties of War for me, by some distance.  Full Metal Jacket was good until they got to Vietnam/Battersea.  Apocalypse Now is just a collection of music videos that doesn't really come off as a film, a bit like a collection of short stories masquerading as a novel.  Not much of a fan of Platoon, watched it again recently & the few good scenes are outweighted by overacting and Oliver Stone cliche and melodrama.
Agree whole heartedly.

Amazing performances from all of the leads and up there with The Untouchables as DePalmas best work.

Its also Tarantinos fave nam film (little side fact!)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 03 Oct 2013, 1:04 pm

Full Metal Jacket
Deer Hunter
Casulities Of War
Platoon
Born On The 4th Of July

Never seen Apocalypse Now, which many prefer to the above.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu 03 Oct 2013, 1:33 pm

M .A.S .H   oh hang on that's the Korean war Very Happy     .   not seen the films mentioned for such a long time so its hard to pick .  first blood prob   but i did see hot shots two the other day ,Charlie sheen must worked out hell of a lot to get that Rambo look . fair play to him .

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 03 Oct 2013, 1:52 pm

Forrest Gump if it qualifies.......

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 03 Oct 2013, 1:55 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Forrest Gump if it qualifies.......
It would qualify as much as Jacob's Ladder would. Probably.

Not as good a film as Jacob's Ladder though.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:00 pm

You need to be on drugs to understand Jacobs Ladder.

Another NAM classic that I haven't seen is, Good Morning Vietnam. Supposed to be a top film.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:01 pm

Stella wrote:You need to be on drugs to understand Jacobs Ladder.

I think I probably was at the time.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:15 pm

Thought Jacob's Ladder was a bit of a glorified horror, little to do with the war.  A bit similar to Forrest Gump, and Deer Hunter (and Apocalypse Now) in that Vietnam was incidental to the story, could've been any old upheaval that was happening at the time.

Born on the Fourth of July is a good shout, though mostly dealing with the repercussions of having fought and been injured and the attitudes of and towards soldiers back in civilian life.

Last edited by Galted on Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:20 pm

The late 80's dealt in Vietnam films didn't it. Never seen Hamburger Hill either. This came out at about the same time as BOT4th and casulties of war.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:27 pm

Galted wrote:Thought Jacob's Ladder was a bit of a glorified horror, little to do with the war.  A bit similar to Forrest Gump, and Deer Hunter (and Apocalypse Now) in that Vietnam was incidental to the story, could've been any old upheaval that was happening at the time.
Wasn't Jacob's Ladder specifically about a nerve agent used in Vietnam hence Tim Robbins subsequent battle between heaven and hell? Without the context of the Vietnam war it would just a horror film but I'm not sure that can be leveled against JL. Agreed that is it not a 'war' film, but Vietnam is key to the development of the story.

Less so Forrest Gump.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:29 pm

Gump was about his life, from 40's to 70's. Couldn't really call it a vietnam film.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:32 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Galted wrote:Thought Jacob's Ladder was a bit of a glorified horror, little to do with the war.  A bit similar to Forrest Gump, and Deer Hunter (and Apocalypse Now) in that Vietnam was incidental to the story, could've been any old upheaval that was happening at the time.
Wasn't Jacob's Ladder specifically about a nerve agent used in Vietnam hence Tim Robbins subsequent battle between heaven and hell?  Without the context of the Vietnam war it would just a horror film but I'm not sure that can be leveled against JL.  Agreed that is it not a 'war' film, but Vietnam is key to the development of the story.

Less so Forrest Gump.
If Forrest hadn't have met Bubba in Vietnam, there wouldn't have been a shrimping industry after hurricane Carmen. Very relevant to the story.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:36 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
Wasn't Jacob's Ladder specifically about a nerve agent used in Vietnam hence Tim Robbins subsequent battle between heaven and hell?  Without the context of the Vietnam war it would just a horror film but I'm not sure that can be leveled against JL.  Agreed that is it not a 'war' film, but Vietnam is key to the development of the story.

Less so Forrest Gump.
If Forrest hadn't have met Bubba in Vietnam, there wouldn't have been a shrimping industry after hurricane Carmen. Very relevant to the story.
Yep, that's why I said less so and didn't disregard it completely. There are still plenty of other strands to the Forrest Gump story with or without the war. Jacob's Ladder doesn't even exist as a story with Vietnam. There is the difference.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:38 pm

In all seriousness I think the fight scenes in the movie are the best Nam scenes shot. Much more realistic than early 90's late 80's stuff.

Bit of War film geek and have run out of stuff to watch since SP Ryan, B.O.Bs and the Pacific. Rumours are of a series coming out focusing on the Pacific air war. Makes you wonder why they don't do a big budget piece about the Battle of Britain....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:42 pm

seanmichaels wrote:In all seriousness I think the fight scenes in the movie are the best Nam scenes shot. Much more realistic than early 90's late 80's stuff.

They had an ex Captain (Dale A Dye) on set for Platoon. He was a Vietnam vet so I imagine the battle scenes are pretty realistic. Every film will ramp them up a little but they must be pretty close.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:51 pm

seanmichaels wrote:In all seriousness I think the fight scenes in the movie are the best Nam scenes shot. Much more realistic than early 90's late 80's stuff.

They had an ex Captain (Dale A Dye) on set for Platoon.  He was a Vietnam vet so I imagine the battle scenes are pretty realistic.  Every film will ramp them up a little but they must be pretty close.
I mean in terms of sound and vision. I think Saving Private Ryan was the first film that really showed the bullets realistically. The firefights in Platoon whilst good were very much just flashes and bangs.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:52 pm

Just had a look at Sky Movies top 100 war films. Must admit, haven't seen most but Braveheart at 24 (around there)?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:59 pm

Braveheart is the best film ever, bar none.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 03 Oct 2013, 3:02 pm

Funny that Starship Troopers ends up in a few of the all time Top 10 war films lists.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Oct 2013, 3:05 pm

Well tbf, not many 'war' films have such epic shower scenes Drool

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 03 Oct 2013, 3:08 pm

Those bangers were cracking.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu 03 Oct 2013, 3:17 pm

loved starship trooers ,but the other two rubbish . the shower scene made the film for me . Nam! 3933776953 

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 03 Oct 2013, 3:27 pm

A Bright Shining Lie is a decent Nam movie. Think it was for TV but Bill Paxton is cracking in it.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:03 am

Born on the Fourth of July is essentially balls. The main character even admitted in an interview that when he was hit in thew spine with a bullet and paralysed he was actually cowering in terror and not (as the film portrays) single handledly winning the Vietnam war armed with nothing but a sharpened lollipop stick and the Warrior spirit of the as yet unborn Carl Froch coursing through his body.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 07 Oct 2013, 10:36 am

most of the best films have been mentioned, i did like good morning Vietnam as well though

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 08 Oct 2013, 12:43 pm

Despite being set in the Korean War, M.A.S.H is really about Vietnam so I'm going to go for that.

I do like Apocalypse Now, but it doesn't really stand up to repeated viewings and it's the impact of that first viewing that makes it a favourite.

Anyone read "Matterhorn". Great book about Vietnam and would make a great film if done propoerly.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 08 Oct 2013, 12:57 pm

Thought We Were Soldiers was a decent film.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by TinRibs Wed 09 Oct 2013, 11:17 pm

Hard to choose between Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket for me.

AN is great when you don't attempt to sit through the redux version. I do find that, when re-watching, I spend parts of the film just waiting for them to reach the tribe though. The odd battle here and there serves as a decent distraction, but ultimately I'm waiting for the payoff.

With FMJ, I find it gets a bit boring after the battle in Hue when they are talking to the media, but that's about it. Hartman is fantastic. On my first watch through, the sniper scene had me glued to the screen. I couldn't take my eyes off of it with the suspense. Brilliant stuff.
TinRibs
TinRibs

http://richieandrews.moonfruit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 11 Oct 2013, 10:21 am

Watched Hamburger Hill last night, not bad at all, thought the friction between the soldiers was dealt with quite well, never resorted to oversimplified good soldier v bad soldier. Would put it above Platoon and Apocalypse Now due, in part, to it not being weighed down with melodrama and The Doors.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri 11 Oct 2013, 11:14 am

Funnily enough Jacobs Ladder was on Syfy last night and I watched it. My faily quick review is on the Last Films Watched thread.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 11 Oct 2013, 11:21 am

Tropic Thunder

Just for "never go full ret@rd"

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 11 Oct 2013, 12:14 pm

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:Funnily enough Jacobs Ladder was on Syfy last night and I watched it. My faily quick review is on the Last Films Watched thread.
Saw it when it came out - a bit weird IIRC.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri 11 Oct 2013, 12:51 pm

You could say that lol!

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content