The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who needs the HC, Welsh rugby is booming !!!

+16
The Saint
tatterd
Luckless Pedestrian
XR
Coleman
itsallabouttheincentives
Intotouch
lostinwales
munkian
nathan
Biltong
maestegmafia
Scrumpy
Welsh Magician
HammerofThunor
LordDowlais
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who needs the HC, Welsh rugby is booming !!! Empty Who needs the HC, Welsh rugby is booming !!!

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Sep - 12:29

Well, well, a very interesting read about the WRU annual finance report, I suggest people read the link below and start to consider why the Celtic nations might be in a position to dig their heels in on the whole European debacle.

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/28323.php

Last edited by LordDowlais on Wed 25 Sep - 14:07; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Who needs the HC, Welsh rugby is booming !!! Empty Re: Who needs the HC, Welsh rugby is booming !!!

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 25 Sep - 12:42

Hold on a minute

"£16.9m distributed to the four Regions from ERC and RaboDirect tournament income plus c£6.4m directly from the WRU"

That's a total of £23.3M or £5.8M each?! A year?! With a salary cap of £3.5M?! So £2.3M + ticket sales, team sponsorship, etc is used to pay for the non-playing costs?

How much does Hore get paid?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Who needs the HC, Welsh rugby is booming !!! Empty Re: Who needs the HC, Welsh rugby is booming !!!

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Sep - 12:44

HammerofThunor wrote:Hold on a minute

"£16.9m distributed to the four Regions from ERC and RaboDirect tournament income plus c£6.4m directly from the WRU"

That's a total of £23.3M or £5.8M each?! A year?! With a salary cap of £3.5M?! So £2.3M + ticket sales, team sponsorship, etc is used to pay for the non-playing costs?

Too bloody much.Whistle 

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Welsh Magician Wed 25 Sep - 12:46

HammerofThunor wrote:Hold on a minute

Where did you get £23.3M from....?

Welsh Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 25 Sep - 13:10

£16.9M from ERC and RaboDirect tournament income.

Plus

c£6.4M direct from WRU (player release payments, NWQ quota, etc)

16.9 + 6.4 = 23.3

Unless because they used lower case its 1/1000th of a £. In which case they're getting ripped off

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 25 Sep - 13:16

I bet the Regions can't wait to get their handouts from the WRU.

It must be like Xmas for the Regions when they hear stories like this. Very Happy 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 25 Sep - 13:23

Scrumpy wrote:I bet the Regions can't wait to get their handouts from the WRU.

It must be like Xmas for the Regions when they hear stories like this. Very Happy 
The RFU have given the clubs £13.8M a year for EPS agreement (same number of players but about twice as much) and the commercial control over the Premeirship (Sky+ESPN deal was £18M per year). So that's £31.8M a year. Plus Aviva sponsorship money and ERC money. Much the same as the WRU give the RRW.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 25 Sep - 13:29

But where are the fans, why aren't they supporting the Regions.

It's all very well taking handouts but it's papering over the cracks.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Sep - 13:32

Scrumpy wrote:But where are the fans, why aren't they supporting the Regions.
It's all very well taking handouts but it's papering over the cracks.
Seriuosly Scrumpy, what do you have against Welsh rugby, I have been over and over why the regions do not get as many fans as they should. Also, the Ospreys had their biggest ever crowd against Edinburgh on Saturday so it is getting better.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 25 Sep - 13:36

I have nothing against Welsh rugby but I just don't understand why fans don't go to the games, I spend a lot of time in Wales and everyone I know/bump into down the pub talk about rugby, but they don't go to the games!

There is a problem, you say it's getting better I truly hope so but more needs to be done.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Sep - 13:41

Scrumpy wrote:I have nothing against Welsh rugby but I just don't understand why fans don't go to the games, I spend a lot of time in Wales and everyone I know/bump into down the pub talk about rugby, but they don't go to the games!

There is a problem, you say it's getting better I truly hope so but more needs to be done.
Scrumpy, in each region alone there are about fifty to one hundred different rugby clubs, some people would rather watch their local village/town side than go to watch their region, hence you see so many poeple talking about rugby, to put it simply, there is too much rugby to go around for the amount of people living here.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 25 Sep - 13:44

LordDowlais wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:I have nothing against Welsh rugby but I just don't understand why fans don't go to the games, I spend a lot of time in Wales and everyone I know/bump into down the pub talk about rugby, but they don't go to the games!

Scrumpy, in each region alone there are about fifty to one hundred different rugby clubs, some people would rather watch their local village/town side than go to watch their region, hence you see so many poeple talking about rugby, to put it simply, there is too much rugby to go around for the amount of people living here.
Because people can't afford to go.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Sep - 13:46

It all changes come international time though.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 25 Sep - 13:47

How much do the Wales teams lose if there is no HC?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 25 Sep - 13:48

does any of that take into consideration the money you'll get from SKY?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 25 Sep - 13:52

The 'regions' are like lumping Bath/Glos and Bristol together, calling them The Wurzels and expecting their collective fans to still go to the games.

Apart from the Cardiff Blues. Who are just Kerrrdiff.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 25 Sep - 13:54

I also have doubts over how much difference running an extra international would have given that you are going to have to find someone who is going to be a decent draw.

Good news about the finances though - been a long time coming

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 25 Sep - 13:56

munkian wrote:The 'regions' are like lumping Bath/Glos and Bristol together, calling them The Wurzels and expecting their collective fans to still go to the games.

Right so breaking away from the WRU and joinging the Champions Cup as real clubs (Cardiff, Newport, Neath, Swansea, Ponty etc ) would be a better option for Welsh fans?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 25 Sep - 14:04

Biltong wrote:How much do the Wales teams lose if there is no HC?
One of the Irish posters said the ERC gave out 45M euros in 2012. That's about £36M. I think (not sure on this) but the WRU gets about 16%. Which would be £5.8M. That's really rough and based on bandied about number. Oh plus the game revenue, ticket sales, etc for 3 home games.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 25 Sep - 14:08

That will make a bit of a dent, eh?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 25 Sep - 14:10

Yes it would. But if there is no like for like replacement I can't see the Pro12 unions not having some sort of cup. Might get a sponsor or TV but it will give match sales. So it wouldn't be a straight drop. So it would be a £5.8M loss less whatever the PRO12 cup generates.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 25 Sep - 14:12

maestegmafia wrote:Because people can't afford to go.

Or is it because it's not good value for money and you don't get to see the superstars play?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Sep - 14:15

lostinwales wrote:I also have doubts over how much difference running an extra international would have given that you are going to have to find someone who is going to be a decent draw.

Good news about the finances though - been a long time coming
We could play either one on Ireland/Scotland or Italy, we will all have less games, infact another topic I have hear'd bandied about is that at the end of the Rabo season their could be a sort of Celtic/Italian international competition that would run for about the six weeks that they will gain from not playing the HC.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Wed 25 Sep - 14:18

In what countries does pro rugby make a regular profit? France and..... without the union's funding non of the pro 12 teams would survive. Only 4 of the 12 English prem sides make a profit. This pro rugby is a disaster.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 25 Sep - 14:19

Intotouch wrote:In what countries does pro rugby make a regular profit? France and..... without the union's funding non of the pro 12 teams would survive. Only 4 of the 12 English prem sides make a profit. This pro rugby is a disaster.
lol,

Yeah pro rugby has brought no improvements or positives to the game what so ever....

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 25 Sep - 14:20

Scrumpy wrote:
munkian wrote:The 'regions' are like lumping Bath/Glos and Bristol together, calling them The Wurzels and expecting their collective fans to still go to the games.

Right so breaking away from the WRU and joinging the Champions Cup as real clubs (Cardiff, Newport, Neath, Swansea, Ponty etc ) would be a better option for Welsh fans?
Nah, we've had regions for 10 years, I love mine, Ospreys have a decent new identity. New generations of rugby fans have grown up with the regions, once the stick in the muds die out it shouldnt be an issue.

On the money side, South Wales is one of the poorest parts of the UK, and the transport infrastructure isn't great so SOME fans miss out.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by itsallabouttheincentives Wed 25 Sep - 14:21

LordDowlais - if thats what the unions want, and they think that meets their objectives ito money and development then i wish them all the best. without HC it might make the Rabo a more meaninful competition too and more financially attractive in its own right. and that might help prevent player migration if thats a big concern.

but they do need to be honest with themselves about their goals, likely success and likely outcomes and not just do this as a kneejerk reaction.

itsallabouttheincentives

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Sep - 14:23

munkian wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:

Nah, we've had regions for 10 years, I love mine, Ospreys have a decent new identity. New generations of rugby fans have grown up with the regions, once the stick in the muds die out it shouldnt be an issue.

On the money side, South Wales is one of the poorest parts of the UK, and the transport infrastructure isn't great so SOME fans miss out.
You are right, there is a new generation of fans comming through and attendance are on the up accross the board, it must be a nightmare though for somebody from Pembroke Dock wanting to get to Llanelli to watch the Scarlets.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Sep - 14:26

itsallabouttheincentives wrote:LordDowlais - if thats what the unions want, and they think that meets their objectives ito money and development then i wish them all the best. without HC it might make the Rabo a more meaninful competition too and more financially attractive in its own right. and that might help prevent player migration if thats a big concern.

but they do need to be honest with themselves about their goals, likely success and likely outcomes and not just do this as a kneejerk reaction.
It has been said that the WRU can cover the loss of income from the HC with one international alone, so I do not think it's a kneejerk reaction, just an iron in the fire if the PRL get their own way.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 25 Sep - 14:27

munkian wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:

Love sacks the Vale of Glamorgan isn't poor area, as for the transport its better from some places in the southwest, swings and roundabouts everywhere fella.

People don't buy that excuse anymore.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 25 Sep - 14:29

LordDowlais wrote:
itsallabouttheincentives wrote:LordDowlais - if thats what the unions want, and they think that meets their objectives ito money and development then i wish them all the best. without HC it might make the Rabo a more meaninful competition too and more financially attractive in its own right. and that might help prevent player migration if thats a big concern.

It has been said that the WRU can cover the loss of income from the HC with one international alone, so I do not think it's a kneejerk reaction, just an iron in the fire if the PRL get their own way.
Who said that?

Some teams get close to £3m from the HC.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed 25 Sep - 14:32

We (Wales) might be able to dig in our heels as we are making money. But aren’t Scotland financially uncertain still? Wasn't there a post on the international section about the IRFU being on the end of a big financial shortfall because of some silly ticket gaff? I think Italy are doing alright. But let's not pretend that everyone is on the same financial footing at the moment. The Celt/IT nations really need to stand together on whatever line they decide to take with this Euro cup argument. I personally think this is why there has been talk in the media about Welsh regions joining the Jeff. To try and create some tension between the other three parties and ourselves.

Last edited by Coleman on Wed 25 Sep - 14:34; edited 1 time in total

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 25 Sep - 14:33

I've heard two Regions are very interested in joining.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 25 Sep - 14:34

LordDowlais wrote:

What the PRL wants is a European competition with fewer participants in the top tier and more control devolved to the teams playing in it (amongst other stuff like improved other tiers). They are not keen on the ERC but that is different from wanting the death of european competition

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 25 Sep - 14:36

Scrumpy wrote:
munkian wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:

Love sacks the Vale of Glamorgan isn't poor area, as for the transport its better from some places in the southwest,  swings and roundabouts everywhere fella.

Love sacks yourself, since when is Vale of Glam all of South Wales ? Parts of Newport, Blaenau gwent, Ebw Vale are incredibly poor. There isn't even a train line going all the way into Cross Keys

We have a population much smaller than some English cities being told to share 4 invented regions which are all located in the Southern part of Wales.

Welsh football teams are also punching rather high
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 25 Sep - 14:38

Coleman wrote:We (Wales) might be able to dig in our heels as we are making money. But aren’t Scotland financially uncertain still? Wasn't there a post on the international section about the IRFU being on the end of a big financial shortfall because of some silly ticket gaff? I think Italy are doing alright. But let's not pretend that everyone is on the same financial footing at the moment. The Celt/IT nations really need to stand together on whatever line they decide to take with this Euro cup argument. I personally think this is why there has been talk in the media about Welsh regions joining the Jeff. To try and create some tension between the other three parties and ourselves.
The stuff about the Regions joining the Premiership was just the ramblings of one owner who thought it would make a great league (but has many problems). It's just there to stire the pot and is pretty meaningless.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Sep - 14:42

The Celtic and Italian unions have too much of a good thing by being together than letting any other things get in their way, they have all worked well together with our league and I am sure they could easily make the money up with an international tournement.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Sep - 14:45

nathan wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Who said that?

The WRU could make over three or four times that with an international game, 72,000 people rocking up to the MS at £35+ per ticket, plus the tele money from it, and all the murchandise being sold.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 25 Sep - 14:47

LordDowlais wrote:
nathan wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Who said that?

The WRU could make over three or four times that with an international game, 72,000 people rocking up to the MS at £35+ per ticket, plus the tele money from it, and all the murchandise being sold.

Thats £3m per team, so around £12. You saying they could make 3 or 4 times that with a single international game?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Sep - 14:49

nathan wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
nathan wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Who said that?

Thats £3m per team, so around £12. You saying they could make 3 or 4 times that with a single international game?
Yep.thumbsup 

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 25 Sep - 14:51

LordDowlais wrote:
nathan wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
nathan wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Who said that?

Yep.thumbsup 
blimey!! £36 to £48 million profit per game!

They should let everyone know there secret!

Last edited by nathan on Wed 25 Sep - 14:52; edited 1 time in total

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed 25 Sep - 14:51

Laugh 

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 25 Sep - 14:53

munkian wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
munkian wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:

Love sacks the Vale of Glamorgan isn't poor area, as for the transport its better from some places in the southwest,  swings and roundabouts everywhere fella.

Love sacks yourself, since when is Vale of Glam all of South Wales ? Parts of Newport, Blaenau gwent, Ebw Vale are incredibly poor. There isn't even a train line going all the way into Cross Keys

We have a population much smaller than some English cities being told to share 4 invented regions which are all located in the Southern part of Wales.

There is rich and poor areas in every town and City across Britain, to use that as a soul reason as to why the Regions are not well supported on match day is a rather poor excuse imo, but the other reasons you give are fine and it supports why the Regions have failed and why they need to listen to the offer on the table from PRL.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by itsallabouttheincentives Wed 25 Sep - 14:58

nathan wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
nathan wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
nathan wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Who said that?

Yep.thumbsup 

WRU made c£62m in total revenue (incl from ERC) last year. so what is the value of a home or away international? obviously depends who its against, but a 1-off wouldnt have the same value as 6N, WRC or similar. would be less than Autumn touring international probably...£3m-£4m? (70k tickets at £35 = £2.45m + £1m TV + merchandising minus costs). and i think thats probably fairly optimistic. happy to be corrected though.

itsallabouttheincentives

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Sep - 15:02

itsallabouttheincentives wrote:
nathan wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
nathan wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
nathan wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Who said that?

Yep.thumbsup 

WRU made c£62m in total revenue (incl from ERC) last year. so what is the value of a home or away international? obviously depends who its against, but a 1-off wouldnt have the same value as 6N, WRC or similar. would be less than Autumn touring international probably...£3m-£4m? (70k tickets at £35 = £2.45m + £1m TV + merchandising minus costs). and i think thats probably fairly optimistic. happy to be corrected though.
You are closer in the grand scheme of things, but the WRU do not get 12m from the HC, and the ticket price I put was an average one, the WRU I think only get about 8m from the HC if that so all in all it would not be far off.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 25 Sep - 15:05

Don't the Regions make around £1.5M each from ERC? An extra £1M or so if they do well. So it would have make about £6M to cover it. Also there would have to be at least two international games (how's the other guy going to get the money?). So you would have make at least £6M and cover extra player salary costs. And then you'r expecting the games to sell out in the same way the 6 nations does. Didn't the WRU fail to sell out for some games against the big 3 recently? All Blacks always does of course. Then you have the fact that a mini alomst 6 nations may reduce the commercial interest in the 6 nations.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 25 Sep - 15:06

Scrumpy wrote:
munkian wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
munkian wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:

There is rich and poor areas in every town and City across Britain, to use that as a soul reason as to why the Regions are not well supported on match day is a rather poor excuse imo, but the other reasons you give are fine and it supports why the Regions have failed and why they need to listen to the offer on the table from PRL.
Thrilled you approve. You also forget that rugby has always been a working mans game in Wales, I appreciate its changing in England but a visit to the Rec shows the gap in disposable income (quiet bunch too)
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Sep - 15:06

Scrumpy wrote:
munkian wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
munkian wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:

Crap kick off times are also a contributing factor, 6:30 on a Friday? Doesn't leave a lot of time for a majority of people to leave work, sort themselves and families out, travel down and so on.

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 25 Sep - 15:14

The BBC are to blame for kick off times.

I hope sky get complete rights to the rabo or whatever it will be called, then people who support a region will have to go and watch them to see it on tele because their game may not be on tv.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 25 Sep - 15:15

Kick off times are a particular thorn in my side. Getting over from Bristol on an over packed 2 carriage train for an 18:30/19:00 kick off is a pain in the bottom.

Another issue with the Rabbo is that the games are on free to air TV - the Aviva games are on Sky. Sometimes its just easier and a hell of a lot cheaper to watch it on Tv with a few cans rather than make the mad dash,

When SKY starts showing matches I reckon the attendance could well improve
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next