The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Films that insult my intelligence!

+19
Uryu Ishida
dummy_half
alfie
compelling and rich
Hammersmith harrier
Shot 21 LCFC
Dass
Stella
Mad for Chelsea
rIck_dAgless
Hulking_up
Il Gialloblu
blackpanther
Galted
jimmyinthewell68
kingraf
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
ONETWOFOREVER
23 posters

Go down

Films that insult my intelligence! Empty Films that insult my intelligence!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:26 pm

You have to expect some artistic license with most Hollywood movies especially those that contain their fair share of explosions and bullets, but there is a limit. The directors job is to put together a well made, well acted movie that will convince the public that what they are watching is plausible no matter what the plot is.

I went to see the Usual Suspects and yes the ending was ''out there'' but it could have happened that way, no reason to doubt it. A well made movie that did'nt have me scratching my head saying ''how was that even possible'' afterwards.

The other day I saw Law abiding Citizen with Gerard Butler and Jaime Fox and I stopped watching about 10 mins from the end because I felt the film did not deserve my attention for the duration of the movie. The film is not boring its well acted and  actually quite interesting, its just absolutely STUPID on so many levels. Its not a fantasy, sci-fi, adventure, action blockbuster its a thriller dealing with real life issues but at some point the director must have taken LSD because it somehow goes down the WRONG road.

Avoid

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Films that insult my intelligence! Empty Re: Films that insult my intelligence!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm not sure there any films that can insult your intelligence.....Just kidding......

I think True Lies when we are to believe Arnie thinks he can leap on his horse from skyscraper to skyscraper after the Asian guy springs to mind.....

Jack Nicholson being goaded into confessing by Cruise in a few good men also rankled..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:41 pm

Jaws the Revenge is comfortably the dumbest film ever made. The family move to Mexico or some such place and the shark follows them. I am by no means an expert on marine biology but can say with some degree of confidence that when sharks attack people it is not personal and they sure as hell do not follow them x amount of miles to finish what they started.

Arguably the worst film ever made, made even worst by having the temerity to associate itself with Speilberg's masterpiece.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:46 pm

Rowley wrote:Jaws the Revenge is comfortably the dumbest film ever made. The family move to Mexico or some such place and the shark follows them. I am by no means an expert on marine biology but can say with some degree of confidence that when sharks attack people it is not personal and they sure as hell do not follow them x amount of miles to finish what they started.

Arguably the worst film ever made, made even worst by having the temerity to associate itself with Speilberg's masterpiece.
Laugh Laugh Laugh 

but you must see Law abiding Citizen jeff

basically a man is arrested for murder, locked up in a maximum security prison but somehow manages to escape every night a kill more people without the guards, police, CIA, FBI, government, knowing. And has them all thinking its somebody else.

UNBELIEVABLE Laugh

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:51 pm

I have seen it onetwo, agree it is ridiculous. To be honest I had to endure the missus slavering over Gerard Butler so how stupid the film is probably passed me by.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:56 pm

Jeff quite literally made me LOL with that...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:48 am

films are entertainment  so what ever they throw at you its pure entertainment not a serious documentary . my mate watched  man of steel  and said he didnt like it because its to far fetch .   seriously an alien that speaks English lands on planet earth and can fly is far fetch . i dont look at a film whether its silly or impossible     i just see a bad or good film

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:32 am

Sixth Sense
Shutter Island
Boy In The Striped Pyjamas
Independence Day

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:14 am

I went to watch Turbo 3D, an animation, a week or so ago... Dont get me wrong, I understand that films take liberties, but I feel that whatever happens needs to be plausible in the reality the film has set... In Turbo, a snail who wishes to be an Indy 500 winner, gets sucked in by a super car, and then gets juiced, really. He goes on to become both the racing car, and the driver.... Outside of the hidden message to kids that anything is possible if you have the right performance enhancers (good one)... I still dont understand how a creature so small was
a) not run over the entire movie
b) why he was allowed to race given the fact that he is an animal, not a car
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by blackpanther Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:13 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:You have to expect some artistic license with most Hollywood movies especially those that contain their fair share of explosions and bullets, but there is a limit. The directors job is to put together a well made, well acted movie that will convince the public that what they are watching is plausible no matter what the plot is.

I went to see the Usual Suspects and yes the ending was ''out there'' but it could have happened that way, no reason to doubt it. A well made movie that did'nt have me scratching my head saying ''how was that even possible'' afterwards.

The other day I saw Law abiding Citizen with Gerard Butler and Jaime Fox and I stopped watching about 10 mins from the end because I felt the film did not deserve my attention for the duration of the movie. The film is not boring its well acted and  actually quite interesting, its just absolutely STUPID on so many levels. Its not a fantasy, sci-fi, adventure, action blockbuster its a thriller dealing with real life issues but at some point the director must have taken LSD because it somehow goes down the WRONG road.

Avoid
before i even read what you wrote, i had law abiding citizen on my mind...what a load of tosh that was.

blackpanther

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:23 pm

This reminds me of something I read a while back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-23005848

There's a scene in Fast & Furious 6 (I've not seen it) where cars are chasing a plane on a runway. They reckon the length of the scene multiplied by the speed of the cars would mean the runway was about 19 miles long. Headscratch
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:13 pm

I want to mention the end of the opening scene to The Dark Knight.
A school bus pulls out of a building into the path of other school buses and everyone carries on as normal.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:This reminds me of something I read a while back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-23005848

There's a scene in Fast & Furious 6 (I've not seen it) where cars are chasing a plane on a runway. They reckon the length of the scene multiplied by the speed of the cars would mean the runway was about 19 miles long. Headscratch
Watched it this weekend and to be honest, the 19 mile runway is perhaps the most plausible of the scenarios that's featured. I was very concerned with Dwayne Johnson's missing goatee. At one point, he's in car speaking to Vin Diesel and his goatee beard has been shaved off, two minutes later it's back, I was very confused as made me think that a huge span of time had passed which made me wonder how they were supposed to stop bad guys holding the world to ransom when they were busy piddling about with facial hair for weeks at a time.

Vin Diesel's leap from a moving car across bridge to catch Michelle Rodriguez in midair (spanning a bridge) and landing on another car windscreen causing it to crack a bit but otherwise safely is just one of many "Oh just **** off with your stupid self" moments in this film

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:54 pm

Laugh 

I'll not bother with it then Dave.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:14 am

Ive always had a great deal of difficulty watching Superman. I mean, everyone in Metropolis seems to know someone who has some Kryptonite, its like being vulnerable to aluminium... How hasnt Luthor killed him off?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:29 am

titanic, i mean how can an unsinkable ship sink on its first voyage! Plain daft if you ask me

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:06 am

Absolute Deception.

Several things really grate me.

- The FBI agent allowing the female journalist to basically tag along fot the investigation into her husband's presumed murder (the husband who she thought died two years before in a car accident, turns out he'd done a runner).

- talking of said car accident, the only excuse we get for why the husband wasn't formally identified is that he was "burned beyond recognition", there are other ways of identifying someone's remains you know...

- the incredible stupidity of Mrs Scott (the reporter), who seems to think that she's immune to harm despite several attempts on her life, repeatedly still going to poke her nose into places she shouldn't, without ever communicating with the FBI guy.

- the fact somehow said attempts on her life all fail, how bad are the killers?

- her presumed dead (twice!) husband turns up at the end, and she shoots him, pretty much in cold blood. Despite said guy apparently being a main witness for the prosecution to nail an Australian baddie who the FBI guy has been hunting for years, the FBI guy doesn't seem overly upset by this at all.

I'm perfectly willing to suspend disbelief when watching a film, but when they're too many blatant impossibilities it becomes quite difficult...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:12 am

Rene Russo beating everybody up in Lethal Weapon 3. c'mon, this made her out to be tougher than Riggs.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:18 am

Stella wrote:Rene Russo beating everybody up in Lethal Weapon 3. c'mon, this made her out to be tougher than Riggs.
Gibson and Glover beating Jet Li in Leathal Weapon 4

Johnny Mnemonic - Keanu Reeves carrying anything useful inside his head.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:58 pm

i hate it when the killer of what ever film is shot , stabbed or knocked unconscious , then the hero decides to turn is back on him and have a little think . personally i would be still stamping on his head after the credits have come and gone

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:21 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:i hate it when the killer of what ever film is shot   , stabbed or knocked unconscious  , then the hero decides to turn is back on him and have a little think . personally i would be still stamping on his head after the credits have come and gone

Wolf Creek is a great example, you're
Spoiler:
so f*****g thick.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Galted wrote:
jimmyinthewell68 wrote:i hate it when the killer of what ever film is shot   , stabbed or knocked unconscious  , then the hero decides to turn is back on him and have a little think . personally i would be still stamping on his head after the credits have come and gone

Wolf Creek is a great example, you're
Spoiler:
so f*****g thick.
yes seen that film right from the beginning they too trusting

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:52 pm

It's the bit when they discover they shouldn't be too trusting and kill him a little bit then decide to do a lot of hiding and screaming that gets me.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:45 pm

Fast and Furious I can forgive despite some of the most outlandish action sequences I've seen in any film in the last incarnation. The worst I've seen is Jason Statham in one of the Transporter films removing a bomb from the bottom of his car by executing an aerial corkscrew maneuver underneath a crane.

The reason I can forgive F&F is that it doesn't take itself to seriously its an over the top action fest and plays out as such. On the other hand Law Abiding Citizen tried to be a serious film which at its core had a pretty good idea for a movie it was more the execution was Michael Bay-ish.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:30 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Stella wrote:Rene Russo beating everybody up in Lethal Weapon 3. c'mon, this made her out to be tougher than Riggs.

Or Rene Russo managing to fight off the bad guys whilst heavily pregnant in Lethal Weapon 4...

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Or Rene Russo managing to fight off the bad guys whilst heavily pregnant in Lethal Weapon 4...
I didn't botyher with Lethal Weapon 4. Good job by the sounds of it.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Titanic

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Ted.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:34 am

kingraf wrote:Ive always had a great deal of difficulty watching Superman. I mean, everyone in Metropolis seems to know someone who has some Kryptonite, its like being vulnerable to aluminium... How hasnt Luthor killed him off?
not to mention he puts a pair of glasses on and nobody recognises him!! p!ss poor journalists at the daily planet!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:41 am

quite a lot of big american block busters annoy the crap out of me when they feel the need to spell everything out so clearly despite it being pretty obvious

also when films have multiple nationalities on yet they all speak english but in a rubbish accent instead of subtitles. war horse is guilty of this, the accents were so bad i didn't know who was german or french in there dodgy accents at one point

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Knocked Up

Don't care how many drinks she had , that bird wasnever going home with him...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:13 pm

Return of the Jedi

The Empire is capable of biulding planet-destroying star ships, yet has some silly biped walkers that can be defeated by teddy bears armed with vines and tree trunks...

As for the three prequels, don't get me started.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Uryu Ishida Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:12 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
kingraf wrote:Ive always had a great deal of difficulty watching Superman. I mean, everyone in Metropolis seems to know someone who has some Kryptonite, its like being vulnerable to aluminium... How hasnt Luthor killed him off?
not to mention he puts a pair of glasses on and nobody recognises him!! p!ss poor journalists at the daily planet!!
I am going to push the boat out and say Superman 4....The Quest for Peace....picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard 

STUPID EVEN BY SUPERMAN STANDARDS!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewKetuOXPCs

Video explains it all....

Uryu Ishida

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:41 pm

dummy_half wrote:Return of the Jedi

The Empire is capable of biulding planet-destroying star ships, yet has some silly biped walkers that can be defeated by teddy bears armed with vines and tree trunks...

As for the three prequels, don't get me started.
ja ja binks......... sorry couldn't resist

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Uryu Ishida wrote:
I am going to push the boat out and say Superman 4....The Quest for Peace....picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard 

All these Governments clapping when the nuclear warheads they paid billions for are being crushed...No doubt followed by thousands and thousands of jobs ......adding massive sums to the government debt..

Can't see why it's stupid.........Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:55 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Uryu Ishida wrote:

All these Governments clapping when the nuclear warheads they paid billions for are being crushed...No doubt followed by thousands and thousands of jobs ......adding massive sums to the government debt..

funny video, fear i may be wasting a bit of time going through some of the other reviews now though

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:05 pm

any Romcom . where the gorgeous girl going out with a super rich good looking hunk and is friends with the normal geek guy whom loves her since school but after hilarious mishaps throughout the film she finds out the super rich good looking guy a cheating d**k and falls in love with the normal geek guy . boll**ks in normal life she ll find another good looking rich guy . this has not happened to me . . . honest
Crying or Very sad 

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Uryu Ishida Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:56 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Uryu Ishida wrote:

Breathing in space...the hedge clippers...nuclear man....

Uryu Ishida

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:12 pm

Persuaded by the Mrs to watch 'White House Down' at the weekend, only because she fancies Channing Tatum I guess. Now this film is right up there with those that insult the intelligence. It should have been titled  'Die Hard in the White House'.

Still fair play to Mr Tatum, he got her in the mood for later...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:47 am

Was Jamie Foxx the one that did it for you? Whistle

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:35 pm

Don't you just love the way that, in so many action movies, the hero can take cover behind a car door while some deranged psychopath pours automatic rifle fire into the vehicle and the bullets just bounce off. Doesn't anybody in Hollywood have any idea of the velocity of a 7.62mm round, and how it would go through a car door as if it wasn't there, when fired from just across the road...?

Actually, a 7.62mm round would go through a car door as if it wasn't there if fired from a quarter of a mile away, but I think you get the point.

Other totally implausible scenarios from action movies are where a car tips over and the fuel tank (which is probably 3/4 empty after the car chase that usually precludes said car tipping over) explodes like the Nagasaki atom bomb, or where (for example, in Red) there is a shoot out in an ordinary suburban street, in the middle of the night between several dozen people which results in mass destruction on a scale that Saddam Hussein could never have imagined in his wildest dreams..... and yet.... nobody calls the cops.

I also love never ending rifle /pistol magazines. I bet the lads in Afghanistan wish they had one of those where you can blast away relentlessly and never have to reload. And of course, the bad guy can't shoot straight to save his life but a single round from the hero of the film will unerringly find its way to its mark, sometimes even penetrating the car door the bad guy was taking cover behind as if it wasn't there.

Oh, I could go on, but I guess you get the drift. Action movies, especially those starring Steven Segal are the ultimate insult to anybody's intelligence. Even mine..!!
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Those films aren't trying to be inteligent or even make you think. They are created with the sole purpose of allowing the viewer to switch their brain off for 90 minutes and enjoy mindless violence. Nothing better than after a long week, turning Rambo: First Blood on and watching stuff getting blown up while having a beer.

I think your inteligence should be hurt by you overthinking one of the most simple concepts in movie history, one that has been successful for decades.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:59 am

hampo171 wrote:Those films aren't trying to be inteligent or even make you think. They are created with the sole purpose of allowing the viewer to switch their brain off for 90 minutes and enjoy mindless violence. Nothing better than after a long week, turning Rambo: First Blood on and watching stuff getting blown up while having a beer.

I think your inteligence should be hurt by you overthinking one of the most simple concepts in movie history, one that has been successful for decades.
The thread is called "Films That Insult My Intelligence".   It is not called "Justify Films That Insult Other People's Intelligence".

I flatter myself with being smart enough to be aware that the purpose of these films is to indulge those who enjoy such things, and good luck to those who do.   However, I responded to the question set by the OP by stating my opinion.   That's what discussion forums are for.

Thank you for your carefully considered and thoughtful critique of my message.  I shall file it in an appropriate place.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:13 pm

hampo171 wrote:Those films aren't trying to be inteligent or even make you think. They are created with the sole purpose of allowing the viewer to switch their brain off for 90 minutes and enjoy mindless violence. Nothing better than after a long week, turning Rambo: First Blood on and watching stuff getting blown up while having a beer.

First Blood was much more than this; good story line, characters with real pathos, a film that questioned peoples attitudes. After that they are let's blow something up Cr*p fest, but the first one is superb.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:21 pm

any of the scary movies or other spoof spin offs like date movie are all shocking.

any fast and furious

any film with jason statham

are all pretty stupid, normally aimed at the brainless scally generation

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:10 pm

Should perhaps not admit this CnR but I quite like Statham. You know what you are getting with him and in terms of pretty undemanding action fayre he does a decent enough job.

Agree wholeheartedly on all those date movie, epic movies and the like. Have had cause to see a couple when my nephews were younger and they are without fail abysmally unfunny.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:21 pm

Rowley wrote:Should perhaps not admit this CnR but I quite like Statham. You know what you are getting with him and in terms of pretty undemanding action fayre he does a decent enough job.

Agree wholeheartedly on all those date movie, epic movies and the like. Have had cause to see a couple when my nephews were younger and they are without fail abysmally unfunny.
i didn't mind statham in snatch and lock stock, stuck to his strengths really. its his newer stuff like crank that is enormously stupid

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:24 pm

Did not particularly enjoy Crank but don't mind stuff like Safe and Parker, they stick to what they know and don't outstay their welcome. When you're in the mood for some noise and action they tend to deliver.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:40 pm

hummingbird was ok . the guy seems to do five films a year

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:58 pm

haven't seen any of safe, parker or hummingbird. perhaps i was scared off by crank

if i want a switch your brain off type movie i prefer to go back to classics like commando and rambo. now they knew how to blow sh!t up. the new ones just seem to annoy me

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down