The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite Workout related quote?

+3
TRUSSMAN66
ShahenshahG
kingraf
7 posters

Go down

Favourite Workout related quote? Empty Favourite Workout related quote?

Post by kingraf Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:36 pm

The gym at my old school had a Vinnie Lombardi quote grafitti'd on the top of the exit - "Fatigue makes cowards of us all". It became the school's unofficial sporting motto. Its a cool saying because its a double entendre. Fatigue makes cowards of us all, so we should fight through fatigue to achieve greater heights, but also, we should work harder to increase our threshold so as not to be staring down the barrel. Essentially, work hard to prevent yourself from getting fatigued, and work hard to squeeze that extra bit of juice when you are fatigued. Really inspirational, I felt.

I also liked one used by the Loose forward in our rugby team (big guy at 6'4 105kg)... "Time to tear that gym a new hole"... Truer words have rarely been spoken.

Any motto, quote or key word really which you use to motivate yourself when things are rough (plateau, cant squeeze out that last rep, generally flat)?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Favourite Workout related quote? Empty Re: Favourite Workout related quote?

Post by ShahenshahG Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:04 pm

My favourite one was in our school gym - Bear the pain or bear my child. We never stopped running.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:17 am

Do just once what others say you can't do...and you'll never pay attention to their limitations again......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:49 pm

There are no limits only plateaus, and you must not stay there, but go beyond them.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:54 pm

Vince Lombardi - Its not just about winning its only about winning

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:07 am

Curls for the girls Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:26 am

Go hard or go home

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:27 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Curls for the girls Very Happy

Curls are for girls Cool

Weighted pull ups for biceps and deadlifts for forearms. I only do curls to pass time, if I have nothing to do.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:14 am

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:17 am

If you want the rainbow, then you've got to put up with the rain.

Rainbow-good physique/fitness
Rain-pain

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:25 pm

No pain no gain. For a natural lifter I think that is bullsh1t. Least in my opinion.

A bit of pain is probably good. But continuing to work to failure, is why most naturals never bench 140kg or get above 14 stone without being fat. Overtraining is real.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:51 pm

Overtraining is real. But harder to get to than people like to think. Only 92kg though so obviously I'm not a big dreamer. Hopefully bulk to 98kg and shred in the spring, to 88kg.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:22 pm

92kg is big.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:24 pm

I'm thankfully Down to 101kg. Getting weight off slow. Think I can hold my strength and muscle with a slow cut. Maybe get down to 93-4 for summer.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:40 pm

The Tren is calling my friend! Go on you know you want to Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:01 am

No tren yet mate. When the time comes, it comes. Cool

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon May 16, 2016 1:18 am

Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue May 17, 2016 3:12 pm

kingraf wrote:Overtraining is real. But harder to get to than people like to think. Only 92kg though so obviously I'm not a big dreamer. Hopefully bulk to 98kg and shred in the spring, to 88kg.

Two months in and I've managed to bulk to 91kg. This is not going well.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue May 17, 2016 3:29 pm

Overtraining is real, if you squat and deadlift often. Unless you are on a lot of drugs/or a genetic freak, you will get a fried CNS at some point.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed May 18, 2016 7:16 am

AdamT wrote:Overtraining is real, if you squat and deadlift often. Unless you are on a lot of drugs/or a genetic freak, you will get a fried CNS at some point.

5x5 makes you squat abd deadlift 3 times a week for nine months. And the weights get bigger and bigger every few weeks. As a rule even naturals seem to complete 5*5 unharmed.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2016 11:36 am

kingraf wrote:
AdamT wrote:Overtraining is real, if you squat and deadlift often. Unless you are on a lot of drugs/or a genetic freak, you will get a fried CNS at some point.

5x5 makes you squat abd deadlift 3 times a week for nine months. And the weights get bigger and bigger every few weeks. As a rule even naturals seem to complete 5*5 unharmed.

I am following stronglifts 5 x 5 and whilst you squat 3 times per week you only deadlift 3 time per fortnight and its only 1 set, although other programs may get you to do 5 sets of deadlift. Also it recommends 12 weeks so is doable for naturals but not everybody is going to be able to continually increase the weight every single workout.

I disagree that overtraining is harder than people think, in fact its pretty easy for anybody starting out. How many guys try and copy a pro bodybuilders routine whilst not eating enough, resting between sets? I think everybody I know who has ever trained in whatever capacity has overtrained at least once in their life. Sometimes less is more, you just have to work it out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19, 2016 4:20 pm

"F*ck me, how heavy is that? Sod this, I'm off home!"

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri May 20, 2016 9:15 pm

sohotnot wrote:
kingraf wrote:

I am following stronglifts 5 x 5 and whilst you squat 3 times per week you only deadlift 3 time per fortnight and its only 1 set, although other programs may get you to do 5 sets of deadlift. Also it recommends 12 weeks so is doable for naturals but not everybody is going to be able to continually increase the weight every single workout.

I disagree that overtraining is harder than people think, in fact its pretty easy for anybody starting out. How many guys try and copy a pro bodybuilders routine whilst not eating enough, resting between sets? I think everybody I know who has ever trained in whatever capacity has overtrained at least once in their life. Sometimes less is more, you just have to work it out.

I'm fairly certain the Reg Park 5*5 which for all intents and purposes is the original has three deadlifts a week
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat May 21, 2016 12:52 pm

Reg park was using supplements and had great genetics. Unless mechanically built for deadlifts, with low volume, it is a recipe for disaster to deadlift often heavy.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat May 21, 2016 3:16 pm

AdamT wrote:Reg park was using supplements and had great genetics. Unless mechanically built for deadlifts, with low volume, it is a recipe for disaster to deadlift often heavy.

Not if you've got a good baseline of strength and your back is okay. Over training is a bit like running a marathon. The people who tend to "over train" are generally the ones who haven't prepared well or have a lower genetic threshold. In the same way the people who die from running marathons tend to have underestimated the task undertaken or had some sort of respiratory problem. That doesn't suddenly mean everyone else should never run a marathon
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 30, 2016 7:51 pm

kingraf wrote:
sohotnot wrote:
kingraf wrote:

I'm fairly certain the Reg Park 5*5 which for all intents and purposes is the original has three deadlifts a week

You are correct and it also has extra assistance exercises. As we all know 5 x 5 has been repopularised by various people since and has been adjusted by said people who all have there own reasons for doing so. It seems to be more about strength than bodybuilding. I am doing stronglifts 5 x 5 which I think is for a beginner.

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:26 pm

Heard a great quote today that I hadn't heard before so thought I'd pop it here. From Mark Rippetoe about the old school 20 rep squat routine, also known as squats and milk:

"Trust me, if you do an honest 20 rep squat program then at some point god will talk to you. On the last day of the program, he asked if he could work in."

That sums up my experience with it earlier in the year. Traditionally it's meant to me squatting 3 times a week, for 6 weeks, 18 sessions total. I was 20 rep squatting twice a week (deadlift day in-between) and manged 5 and a half weeks, i.e. 11 sessions. It broke me!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down