The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What To Do?

5 posters

Go down

What To Do? Empty What To Do?

Post by Doc Thu 19 Sep 2013, 10:13 am

Being over 50-years old and getting back into cycling takes some planning. Was thinking about spending  around £1,500 on a bike, and wanted it to be light, fast and well geared as I want to use as little effort as possible to get me up hills. One problem I can see, is that by getting a quality race bike it may not be as comfy for a bloke my age, and due to winter coming in, I don't want to just stick it in the garage.

So my thinking was getting a cross bike, which should give me the gearing, the speed and quality, but also have disks and fatter tyres and even have lugs for panniers and guards. So in theory it could be an all year bike compared to a racer and be a bit more comfortable.

Thoughts?

Doc

Back to top Go down

What To Do? Empty Re: What To Do?

Post by Azabache Thu 19 Sep 2013, 10:50 am

Sounds like you need a Tourer.Have a look at the Dawes range.

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 19 Sep 2013, 12:41 pm

Would deffo look at getting a cross bike, although make sure you put it somewhere, where you won't get bored just riding on it
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 19 Sep 2013, 4:30 pm

Azabache wrote:Sounds like you need a Tourer.Have a look at the Dawes range.
The only problem with a tourer is that it's a bit heavier and although some great bikes, I don't think I'll be touring around. A cross bike gives me the same experience as a race bike but is able to have a bit of comfort, street cred and when required some guards to keep my back dry if used for commute. Can't imagine a commute on a race bike in wind and snow wearing a ruck sack.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Thu 19 Sep 2013, 4:39 pm

You'll soon forget "street cred" after one or two days commuting in the pouring rain!

Enjoy the punctures....

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 19 Sep 2013, 4:43 pm

I commute on a racer with a ruck sack, I like it. When it snows you have a couple of options, buy a cheap mountain bike or get a set of real grippy wheels.

I personally choose secret option 3, don't bike in. Too dangerous with some of the muppets on the roads.

I personally wouldn't have anything other that a racer and if you are bothered about speed and climbing ability you'll regret getting a heavier tourer.

If you do get a racer look at the Scott range, fantastic bikes.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 19 Sep 2013, 4:45 pm

And as for the comfort, I've spent hours in the saddle on my racer without issue. I'm a lot younger than you so perhaps that's it, but the important thing is getting a bike that suits your frame and riding style.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 19 Sep 2013, 5:35 pm

Was a bit rushed on the train before...

I ride a scott speedster 20. It's a compact with a mixture of 105 and tiagra as standard. I've upgraded the tiagra parts to 105 and upgraded the original wheels to shimano ultegra. It's an alloy frame with carbon forks.

This has everything I want in a bike and by the sounds of what you're after I'm not sure if you'd need anything better. My bike was 1k new (think they are 800 now in some stores) and with a new set of wheels for 400 quid you've got yourself a reasonable piece if kit.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 19 Sep 2013, 10:03 pm

Thanks a lot guys, loads to think about. The reason its taking me so long to make up my mind is a) I'm a tight git and b) I want to get the right thing and get loads of enjoyment, plus fitness back in my life.

Getting the right fit is important as well especially for an old boy like me, imagine life could be hell if the bike kills you after a few miles

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Fri 20 Sep 2013, 5:39 pm

Some more thoughts for you:

It's pretty heartbreaking using a good racer for day-to-day commuting on these third world roads. I had an old Dawes tourer for nearly 30 years which was fine with mudguards, pannier etc. I then had the chance to buy a pal's nearly new Gitane ulu. racer but it had lugs, clearances so was able to transfer a lot of stuff over. So it's a bit of a racer/tourer.

So that might be another idea for you...second hand something (even a mountain bike-ghastly things but bearable for commuting and general to and from the shops, and knobbly tyres will make punctures rare).

Then have a nice racer for fine days, on better roads.

Agree with Lumbering Jack-secret weapon for foul weather is not to ride! But we all get caught out sometimes.

Saddles shouldn't be an issue. Don't get one of these huge, springy things that you see. Hard and narrow is fine. Surgical spirit and Sudocrem will tone you up!

And your age is the least factor. I'm a lot older than you and am still doing sportives. Performance endures with age and experience-I'm talking about bike riding!

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 24 Sep 2013, 2:47 pm

Aza thanks for that mate. 2 points though 1) I have an MTB Kona Lavadome which is fully tricked with Sram 24-speed twistgrips, I think I paid £600 for the gearing alone which was about the same as the price of the bike. A lot of cash back in those days but a great bike which I have ridden on grand tours around France. But all done around 15-years ago.

The other point is that I had a heart attack back in April and had a stent fitted. I went through cardiac rehab and loved the exercise regime and thought why not get a bike. So I appreciate that you may be older, I'm just trying to sort myself out without giving myself another attack ......Cool

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 25 Sep 2013, 11:15 am

I think a Cross Bike is a pretty good idea. Leave some money spare and get a second wheelset with 23mm road tyres on. Swap to that for and road riding and you would barely notice the difference from a road bike.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 25 Sep 2013, 12:17 pm

VTR wrote:I think a Cross Bike is a pretty good idea. Leave some money spare and get a second wheelset with 23mm road tyres on. Swap to that for and road riding and you would barely notice the difference from a road bike.
Thanks for that

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 25 Sep 2013, 3:33 pm

Just noticed in your OP about wanting little effort to get up hills. I wonder if a road-bike with a triple chainring might be the best option? I have compact on mine so lowest gear is 34-28 which definitely requires a bit of power rather than just spinning on anything gradient over about 5%.

Although not a triple my road-bike is not that racy so has mud-guard clearance and pannier fixings - there are quite a few road bikes out there with those on.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum