The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OWGR week 37

+5
NedB-H
pedro
super_realist
kwinigolfer
robopz
9 posters

Go down

OWGR week 37 Empty OWGR week 37

Post by robopz Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:57 pm

I'll try to post something more complete tomorrow... but here are a few OWGR Scenarios for Week 37...

European Tour KLM Open is complete.  

The event came in as a legit 24 level at 93 ERV (24 level = 91-105 ERV. )

Joost Luiten... Pending the outcome of the BMW Championship on the PGA Tour, Luiten moves up as high as #55.

Miguel Jimenez... Moves up as high as #44, but if Ryan Moore (currently T6 at the BMW) maintains a top-10 finish, he'll push Jimenez down a spot.  

Most the other likley high point finishers at the BMW are already ranked above Luiten and Jimenez... so it's doubtful either would end up more than a spot or two below the above estimates.

- - - - -

BMW Chmapionship PGA Tour
... Came out to a level 72 (691 ERV).  With a win the following players could move as high as follows...

Jim Furyk as high #8

Steve Stricker as high as #6

Brandt Snedeker as high as #6

Zach Johnson as high as #12

Tiger Woods remains #1 regardless, but with a win could stretch his lead over Adam Scott to more than 6 points... while breaking the 15.0 average mark.

Charl Schwartzel as high as #11

Ryan Moore as high as #25

robopz

Back to top Go down

OWGR week 37 Empty Re: OWGR week 37

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:10 am

I'd say Couples made a good call picking Simpson and Spieth ahead of Furyk for Pres Cup duty, but really hope Furyk gets his moment in the Monday sun - that 59 was just astounding golf.

You've omitted Sabbatini in your projections, robo, but hope he manages to ruffle at least a few FedEx feathers on Monday.

V.disappointed not to see the web.com final on Live GC TV. Shame on them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:58 am

kwinigolfer wrote:I'd say Couples made a good call picking Simpson and Spieth ahead of Furyk for Pres Cup duty, but really hope Furyk gets his moment in the Monday sun - that 59 was just astounding golf.

You've omitted Sabbatini in your projections, robo, but hope he manages to ruffle at least a few FedEx feathers on Monday.

V.disappointed not to see the web.com final on Live GC TV. Shame on them.
Actually I was pimping Furyk over Webb for PC pick based on recent form... but OH well... what's done is done.

And yes.... I only chose to show down through the -8's... but NOT that I think that's as far down as the winner could come from.  Depending on the wind... scores could go mega low again tomorrow... and while I like Jim, Stricks or Sneds to get it done... all three are capable of stalling which opens it up way lower...   

But SABBO... LOL...    Imagine Sunday next and Finchem announcing... "Rory Sabbatini, Your FedEX Champion for 2013"....  Has an interesting ring to it don't you think?   Wonder who would be gritting their teeth the most... Timmy or @FormerMrsSabbo?

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:16 am

Forecast not so good as originally speculated, showers and 15 mph windage expected.

But then, Sunday's deluge was also unexpected.

Wonder if the PGA Tour uses the (discredited and underfunded) US or European (almost always on the button and super-funded) models to base its decisions upon?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:14 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Forecast not so good as originally speculated, showers and 15 mph windage expected.

But then, Sunday's deluge was also unexpected.

Wonder if the PGA Tour uses the (discredited and underfunded) US or European (almost always on the button and super-funded) models to base its decisions upon?  
The PGA Tour has its own meteorologist(s)... well kinda anyway. There use a rotation of 5 or 6 guys from a contract company... they split the schedule between them... at least two at each event. But what models they use or how they do their job... I have no idea.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Watney back in the Top 30 presumably, still just a reshuffling of the deck chairs, but wonder if Zach will move up in the Sagarin Ratings?

Not quite sure why, Watney apart, it was the "navigators" rather than the bombers who prospered this week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:10 pm

Looks like a subsidised rating for the Italian Open this week . . . . . .

And I see that many top European players are avoiding next week's "Dunhill"; very disappointing.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:31 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Looks like a subsidised rating for the Italian Open this week . . . . . .

And I see that many top European players are avoiding next week's "Dunhill"; very disappointing.
Problem with the Dunhill Kwini is the weather. Far too late in the year, especially for cosetted players used to warmth, shame though as you don't get the chance to play Carnoustie and Kingsbarns very often.
A calm day could see a 59 at TOC though, playing very easy right now. Fast fairways and short wispy dried out rough.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:19 pm

Disappointment re. Dunhill as it's one of the biggest purses.
Can't blame the weather can you? Doesn't keep the Saffers and Aussies away?
I more think the big Euro names don't bother as they are already into Dubai.
Maybe a better slot could be May/June'ish? Could be a good warm up to The Open and would thus probably attract bigger names?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:42 pm

There's only a finite number of tournaments they can fit into that slot though, already competing with the Irish, Scottish and French, Crans wants in on the same slot too. If the weather's not turning people away there should be room for a couple of high profile European tournaments, in late September/October, with enough rest after the end of the playoffs but before the final swing of the ET year. Not that their version of "playoffs", with Turkey the only representative (sort of) in Europe, helps things.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:07 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Looks like a subsidised rating for the Italian Open this week . . . . ..
Looks like Shane Lowry has withdrawn from the Italian Open, must be playing on the wing for Real Madrid this week Whistle

Last edited by 1GrumpyGolfer on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spellin mishtake)

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Must mean they'll have to move Bale to the right wing . . . . .

Reminds me of the Anfield graffiti:
Q: What happens if christ comes to Anfield?
A: We'll move St.John to inside left.

On an equally happy note, I see that Peter Hanson is climbing off his stretcher to play the Dunhill.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:21 pm

The scousers always did have an over inflated opinion of their own sense of humour

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:23 pm

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:Looks like a subsidised rating for the Italian Open this week . . . . ..
Looks like Shane Lowry has withdrawn from the Italian Open, must be playing on the wing for Real Madrid this week Whistle
Maybe they don't serve Carbonara.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:04 pm

I'm disappointed the Dunhill doesn't get better supported by the big names too and I think it would definitely benefit from a date switch. Any time after the U.S. Open. Ideally I would schedule it as the Dunhill, The Irish Open (on links!!), The Scottish Open then The Open so a month long Links Swing. Or perhaps even bump the French out to a different period and have it in between the Irish & Scottish.

The other thing about the Dunhill is that with the celebs taking part, at least it stands a chance of attracting attention from outwith us golf types, so from that point of view it IS actually important to the game and the promotion of the game in this country. As such it should command a prime slot both for that reason and for the purse.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:08 pm

The two weeks after The Masters didn't make sense to me: Korea and China. When golf could easily be played across Europe. Why waste these two slots on Asian tourneys?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:37 am

a links swing is the kind of thing the euro tour should be promoting.
i think the pro-am format of the dunhill links is what keeps big names away, its the same for the pebble beach tournament early on in the US season. despite the class of courses being used there has been poor fields in both for the last few years.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:18 am

I certainly think so re a Links swing Hend and unfortunately I think you also have a point regarding many of the top pros shying away from the Pro Am format. Personally I think it's great, seeing some celebs with similar handicaps to myself and others trying to manage their game in tournament conditions. I would guess most Pros would see too much distraction in it

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:23 pm

Surely this year's Dunhill is a week or two earlier than usual?

Other factors in play mitigating against stronger Pebble Beach turnout include late Jan/early Feb weather and slow, easily spiked up greens.
But signs of field getting a bit more competitive recently with reduction in field size and abandonment of Poppy Hills as one of the three courses played.

Imagine this week's owgr points earned by the winners will be something close to 24 (perhaps subsidised?) for Italy, and about last year's 62 for the Tour Championship.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down