The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the WORST record you ever bought ?

+8
The Special Juan
Hero
Mind the windows Tino.
JuliusHMarx
sodhat
superflyweight
Rowley
Kenny
12 posters

Go down

What is the WORST record you ever bought ? Empty What is the WORST record you ever bought ?

Post by Kenny Fri 13 Sep 2013, 11:36 am

Following on from hbk's thread on the WORST song you ever heard i was wondering what is the worst song/record you ever handed over your hard earned cash for ?

Or dare you admit to it ?

Mine would have to be the Elton John -Candle in the Wind ( Princess Dianna one ) , i bought it with good intentions but my god it's a crap record
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

What is the WORST record you ever bought ? Empty Re: What is the WORST record you ever bought ?

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:10 pm

RIPPING CORPSE - "Dreaming With the Dead". Hailed as some kind of Death Metal classic and for the life in me I simply don't see it. Bought it on vinyl (that's one of those big black CD's for da kidz) and didn't even play the B Side.

Downloaded it a while back hoping that age may have given me a better understanding of the genre and....it still sucks balls!

Back to top Go down

What is the WORST record you ever bought ? Empty Re: What is the WORST record you ever bought ?

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:25 pm

For reasons I don’t fully understand with hindsight I bought the first Magic Numbers album, truly god awful. I also bough The Farm Spartacus. Absolutely terrible.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:04 pm

Made the same mistake with the first Magic Numbers album, jeff.  

I bought the first Coldplay album off a mate for a £5 about a week after it came out.  I'd heard good things about it, and his insistence that it was terrible and he was glad to be rid of it, didn't put me off.  Listened to it once and then sold it for £3 the next day to Groucho's record shop in Dundee.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:10 pm

It is to my eternal pride I never fell for the hype over Coldplay, thought they were bobbins from the off and feel they have gone out of their way to prove me right ever since.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:15 pm

Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavoured Water (or something)
So terrible. I look back now at that douche in his red hat and wonder about my younger self. What was I thinking?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:16 pm

And I think we have a winner, well done sodhat. You have almost given me the confidence to admit to buying Curiosity Killed the Cat as a young whippersnapper.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:19 pm

Maybe Tom Waits 'The Black Rider'. I'm quite a big fan of Waits, and a bit of a fan of William Burroughs, but this was just too weird, even for me. Got a reasonable price for it on e-bay a few years later, after brushing the dust off.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:32 pm

I bought a Bloc Party album on the advise of a 'friend'. I don't actually have many friends in real life so can't afford to be too choosy, but needless to say, we are not in touch anymore. Worst thing I have ever listened to.

I should have known better as I had already wasted a few quid on an Athlete album. Equally sh!te.

I bought a MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE (need confirmation from Dave whether they get to be in capitals) album once. That made me want to cut both ears off.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:40 pm

I would always recommend putting MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE in capitals Tina, if only because Dave will almost certainly think they do not deserve it.

Athlete is a bad one. Although I never bought one of their records, through a series of unfortunate events I have managed to see The Feeling live three times. Which is exactly three times more than anyone should have to suffer.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:42 pm

Yeah, I partly did it for the confirmation, partly to annoy him.

3 times? That is poor form. Who were they supporting?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:44 pm

The Charlatans, saw them the first time and next time I went to see them, knowing they would be supporting I tried to arrive too late to catch them but failed miserably. The other time they were at an NFL game at Wembley so at least they disappeared pretty quickly.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:02 pm

The Charlatans must be the dullest of all the Manchester bands there have been. I just can't see the appeal there.

I don't know if anyone here has heard the latest Strokes album, but my god is it bad. It's the sound of a band that used to be good not doing what made them good.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:06 pm

Sodhat, do you want to say any goodbyes to anyone on here before I ban you for life?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:09 pm

I think it's ok, I mean I've admitted I bought Limp Bizkit through choice, so anything else I say on music is forever undermined.

I've probably upped The Charlatans' cred by not liking them.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:12 pm

Now as someone who was in his pomp during the whole Manc era if you really want to hear bad you need to get hold of the Northside Album. Whilst you will not thank me for it your opinion on the Charlatans will improve greatly.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 13 Sep 2013, 5:00 pm

Unfortunately quite a number of the above I own.

Limp Bizkit - check.
My Chemical Romance - check.
Athlete - check, 1st album was great! 2nd less so apart from Wires.
Bloc Party - check, 4 albums worth and I'll not hear a bad thing against them!

Other crimes against music that I own...

Alien Ant Farm.
Frank Ferdinand 2nd album
Several Stereophonic albums
Nickelback
Dido
Missy Elliott

Worse than all that though, I bought the Mis-Teeq album.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Sep 2013, 5:04 pm

Unnecessarily long post Hero, the word Nickelback would have won it you hands down. To be honest may as well lock this one now.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 13 Sep 2013, 5:12 pm

Presumably The Charlatans were big fans of The Feeling. Why else ask them to be your support act?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Sep 2013, 5:15 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Presumably The Charlatans were big fans of The Feeling. Why else ask them to be your support act?
Record label pay you a shedload to take them on tour with you?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 13 Sep 2013, 5:25 pm

Rowley wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Presumably The Charlatans were big fans of The Feeling. Why else ask them to be your support act?
Record label pay you a shedload to take them on tour with you?
Ah, so they sold out their artistic principles for cash. For shame.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Sep 2013, 5:28 pm

No idea Julius, as you say they may have really liked them, am not privy to their workings or thought processes.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 13 Sep 2013, 5:31 pm

They're just a bunch of charlatans if you ask me.
Haha - once more with (the) feeling.
Tired Friday afternoon jokes (if you can call them that)

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Sep 2013, 5:32 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Tired Friday afternoon jokes (if you can call them that)
I have no intention of doing so.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 13 Sep 2013, 10:35 pm

Hero wrote:Unfortunately quite a number of the above I own.

Limp Bizkit - check.
My Chemical Romance - check.
Athlete - check, 1st album was great! 2nd less so apart from Wires.
Bloc Party - check, 4 albums worth and I'll not hear a bad thing against them!

Other crimes against music that I own...

Alien Ant Farm.
Frank Ferdinand 2nd album
Several Stereophonic albums
Nickelback
Dido
Missy Elliott

Worse than all that though, I bought the Mis-Teeq album.
I refuse to hear or read any criticism of Dido.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 13 Sep 2013, 11:13 pm

You forgot the l

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 26 Sep 2013, 7:47 pm

Beegees live.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 27 Sep 2013, 7:20 am

The best of Sir Cliff

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Fri 27 Sep 2013, 10:58 am

I'll win this one I think.  Blue by Eiffel 65.

I'm going to go and sit in the corner and hang my head in shame.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 03 Oct 2013, 11:13 am

Rowley wrote:For reasons I don’t fully understand with hindsight I bought the first Magic Numbers album, truly god awful. I also bough The Farm Spartacus. Absolutely terrible.
Laugh I bought Spartacus too, on cassette. It was partly peer pressure - we were on our way to France on a school exchange trip and had stopped at the services. I was umming and ahing between Spartacus and Deee Lite's album and a boy a year above me said it was a great album.

I'm struggling to think of other bad albums I've bought, but there must be loads. It was harder in the olden days though because unless a friend had an album, you had to rely on reviews (I read Melody Maker religiously). Oh, that's reminded me of a couple: Do Not Tailgate by Fireside and an eponymous album by Eve 6. Absolute gash as I recall them and I'm in no hurry to give them a second listen.

On another topic, have you ever listened to an album, not liked it and written it off, then revisited it and found it's actually really good?

Two more crap albums: The Slow-Motion World of Snowpony and an album by Godspeed you Black Emperor. Ironically, I took the GYBE album back to the shop and exchanged it for the Snowpony one.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down