The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sam Warburton discusses European Competition

+26
Toadfish
Knowsit17
gregortree
mbernz
broadlandboy
VinceWLB
timhen
Welshmushroom
allyt2k
Notch
Luckless Pedestrian
whocares
nathan
Cyril
beshocked
Standulstermen
GunsGerms
Student-A1
lostinwales
Scrumpy
Mickado
maestegmafia
formerly known as Sam
munkian
XR
LondonTiger
30 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sam Warburton discusses European Competition Empty Sam Warburton discusses European Competition

Post by LondonTiger Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:38 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24069627

"I can understand from the English and French point of view," said Warburton.
"I do agree there should be a qualifying system from the Rabodirect.
"I don't think they should hand it out to each country, it should be the top six to qualify and it would make the Rabo more interesting.
"I can agree with the English and French perspective that there should be tougher qualification."
"Hopefully, whatever happens, the Cardiff Blues will be playing in the top tier of European rugby next season," said Warburton.
"If that was the case, then at least the standard of the Rabo would be improved because there would have to be full teams.
"I have always said if all the top teams fielded their best sides in the Rabo, it would be a competitive and great league.
"So there are pros and cons and hopefully the Blues will remain in Europe somehow.
"I cannot really imagine it happening and I am sure something will be worked out - and that the regions will play European rugby and I hope that is the case."

Now I have to disagree that places shoudl not be handed out to each country. If it is a EUROPEAN competition, then there should be at least one entry from each of the 6Ns countries - expanding if European club rugby grows.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Sam Warburton discusses European Competition Empty Re: Sam Warburton discusses European Competition

Post by XR Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:43 am

Now...this is interesting. An influential Wales player coming out and saying this is a big deal imo, wonder what Rodge the Todge will have to say about this?

LT, i know it is a european competition but why should a team who finishes in the bottom 3 (scenario: treviso finish in the bottom 3 above the blues & zebre) just because they've only got 2 pro teams? In an ideal world there would be 2 euro league competitions taking the place of the HEC.

League 1
Top 6 Jeff
Top 6 Rabo
Top 6 France

League 2
7, 8, 9 & 10 Jeff
7, 8, 9 & 10 Rabo
7, 8, 9 & 10 France

Yes there will be 2 teams missing out from the jeff, rabo and 4 from the french league but you can't say someone deserves to be in europe if they finished in the bottom 2 (or 4) of their respective league.

XR

Back to top Go down

Sam Warburton discusses European Competition Empty Re: Sam Warburton discusses European Competition

Post by munkian Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:46 am

But people here have been moaning about poor Italian sides getting through. Saying that, I can see Trevisio in the top 6 this season
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:53 am

There needs to be an onus on improving the Amlin and making it a credible second tier. Winning it should still get you into the HEC and for teams that don't achieve top 6 status it should provide interest and a genuine European competition to test their players in.

A third tier with developing nations the best of which feed into the Amlin would also help European rugby grow as a whole.

A competitive Amlin would attract better sponsorship and tv deals making it more lucrative financially.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:53 am

I don't disagree with that at all. Certainly the part you say about being all inclusive of European countries.

I think fans of the RP12 would be happy to see anything that makes the league better, tougher and more engaging. We would all like to see anything that improves the chances for the clubs we support to compete and win in Europe.

What is not addressed in this piece and what is the crux of much vented anger is that we do not trust the LNR or PRL to set up a fair and even competition.

Even though there are many wrangling's and discomforts with our own unions I think the majority of fans would like to see Unions and not clubs running elite rugby.

Changes have to be made, as the media economy grows and opens new opportunities for the sport to earn more revenue these situations have to be used to the advantage of the growth and well being of the sport, not to the advantage of benefactors.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:56 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:There needs to be an onus on improving the Amlin and making it a credible second tier. Winning it should still get you into the HEC and for teams that don't achieve top 6 status it should provide interest and a genuine European competition to test their players in.

A third tier with developing nations the best of which feed into the Amlin would also help European rugby grow as a whole.

A competitive Amlin would attract better sponsorship and tv deals making it more lucrative financially.
Definitely correct...!

To aid the growth of the sport improving the lower tier European competitions is vital and will surely bring huge benefits to the game in the future.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:13 am

Would it make Sam Warburton try a leg for Cardiff? I can honestly say I can't remember having ever seen him play well for his club.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:14 am

gcBlues wrote:Now...this is interesting. An influential Wales player coming out and saying this is a big deal imo, wonder what Rodge the Todge will have to say about this?

LT, i know it is a european competition but why should a team who finishes in the bottom 3 (scenario: treviso finish in the bottom 3 above the blues & zebre) just because they've only got 2 pro teams? In an ideal world there would be 2 euro league competitions taking the place of the HEC.

League 1
Top 6 Jeff
Top 6 Rabo
Top 6 France

League 2
7, 8, 9 & 10 Jeff
7, 8, 9 & 10 Rabo
7, 8, 9 & 10 France

Yes there will be 2 teams missing out from the jeff, rabo and 4 from the french league but you can't say someone deserves to be in europe if they finished in the bottom 2 (or 4) of their respective league.
I'd go with that, failure shouldn't be rewarded even if it means a Union isn't represented at the top table of euro rugby.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:25 am

maestegmafia wrote:I don't disagree with that at all. Certainly the part you say about being all inclusive of European countries.

I think fans of the RP12 would be happy to see anything that makes the league better, tougher and more engaging. We would all like to see anything that improves the chances for the clubs we support to compete and win in Europe.

What is not addressed in this piece and what is the crux of much vented anger is that we do not trust the LNR or PRL to set up a fair and even competition.

Even though there are many wrangling's and discomforts with our own unions I think the majority of fans would like to see Unions and not clubs running elite rugby.

Changes have to be made, as the media economy grows and opens new opportunities for the sport to earn more revenue these situations have to be used to the advantage of the growth and well being of the sport, not to the advantage of benefactors.
The problem with the LNR/PRL is that you cant ignore them and hope that they will go away. Finding a way of including them and keeping everyone happy is going to be difficult, and, tbh I am not sure if I have confidence that the ERC is currently up to the job.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:36 am

Mickado wrote:Would it make Sam Warburton try a leg for Cardiff? I can honestly say I can't remember having ever seen him play well for his club.
Pretty hard to be an effective 7 when playing with the pack we had in the previous years.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:41 am

The Welsh SW and the Cardiff Blues SW are the same player its just that the Blues fans don't hype him as much as the Welsh media do. thumbsup 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:55 am

lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I don't disagree with that at all. Certainly the part you say about being all inclusive of European countries.

The problem with the LNR/PRL is that you cant ignore them and hope that they will go away. Finding a way of including them and keeping everyone happy is going to be difficult, and, tbh I am not sure if I have confidence that the ERC is currently up to the job.
I agree after the way the PRL have behaved in the press it is going to be very hard for anyone to trust them at future meetings. But as you say they do have to be included.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:01 am

gcBlues wrote:
Mickado wrote:Would it make Sam Warburton try a leg for Cardiff? I can honestly say I can't remember having ever seen him play well for his club.
Pretty hard to be an effective 7 when playing with the pack we had in the previous years.
Even harder for a fullback or winger to play well with a beaten pack but Halfpenny and Cuthbert always give their all. I don't just mean I haven't seen Warburton play well, but i honestly haven't seen him bothering his arse.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:03 am

Mickado wrote:
gcBlues wrote:
Even harder for a fullback or winger to play well with a beaten pack but Halfpenny and Cuthbert always give their all. I don't just mean I haven't seen Warburton play well, but i honestly haven't seen him bothering his arse.
He didn't have much luck with injury last year. He was superb vs the dragons last Autumn. It was an epic backrow battle between Warbs, Lyds and Toby.. All three were superb.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Student-A1 Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:15 am

Have to agree with people saying it is unfair to judge SW on Cardiff form as the pack was woeful last year.

In terms of another point raised, I agree the PRL nor the LNR should run a tournament on their own. But I do not believe that the Unions are the ones to run it either. IMHO it should be an independent body that consists of representatives of the 3 qualifying leagues, not unions. The leagues vote on who they want to be represented by. That way no one league is not proportionately represented, whether you want to say the places are for the Unions not the league. If they are serious in pushing to grow in Europe then there has to be some form of representation from the emerging countries.

Student-A1

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:19 am

LondonTiger wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24069627

"I don't think they should hand it out to each country, it should be the top six to qualify and it would make the Rabo more interesting.
"I can agree with the English and French perspective that there should be tougher qualification."
"Hopefully, whatever happens, the Cardiff Blues will be playing in the top tier of European rugby next season," said Warburton.
"If that was the case, then at least the standard of the Rabo would be improved because there would have to be full teams.
"I have always said if all the top teams fielded their best sides in the Rabo, it would be a competitive and great league.
"So there are pros and cons and hopefully the Blues will remain in Europe somehow.
"I cannot really imagine it happening and I am sure something will be worked out - and that the regions will play European rugby and I hope that is the case."
Now I have to disagree that places shoudl not be handed out to each country. If it is a EUROPEAN competition, then there should be at least one entry from each of the 6Ns countries - expanding if European club rugby grows.
Warburton is a real airhead to make such comments. Glad he isnt head of the ERC. England and France the richest NH nations are and always will be guarenteed to have teams in the HC every year and the most amount of teams at that. Why shouldnt Italy, Ireland, Wales and Scotland.

Just because they dont have enough resources, players and teams to have their own leagues doesnt mean they should be punished for that.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:24 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Mickado wrote:
gcBlues wrote:
He didn't have much luck with injury last year. He was superb vs the dragons last Autumn. It was an epic backrow battle between Warbs, Lyds and Toby.. All three were superb.
It was Navidi who was the best back rower on the park that day though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:26 am

Warburton s take on qualification is fair enough although I personally believe it should be the top 8 from the Rabo depending on who wins both competitions. I think this would be the easiest thing to negotiate. It is the division of the revenue and shareholding that is we're the difficulty comes

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:26 am

Student- A1 I agree completely.

Another point. ERC wasn't independent in the sense that it was biased towards Sky.

Independence should mean impartiality but in reality it doesn't.

Gunsgerms Warburton is an airhead because he disagrees with you? It is his opinion. Just as you have an opinion.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:28 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:There needs to be an onus on improving the Amlin and making it a credible second tier. Winning it should still get you into the HEC and for teams that don't achieve top 6 status it should provide interest and a genuine European competition to test their players in.

Definitely. I'd stop the teams dropping down from the Heineken also, so the Amlin feels like its own credible competition and there's more of a reward to playing in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:30 am

munkian wrote:But people here have been moaning about poor Italian sides getting through. Saying that, I can see Trevisio in the top 6 this season
Possibly. I would say top 8 for sure and that's why I would have 8 qualifying from the RABO as it does give teams an opportunity to qualify and is really more inclusive then (as at least one team from each country should make it).

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:30 am

Risca Rev wrote:

Definitely. I'd stop the teams dropping down from the Heineken also, so the Amlin feels like its own credible competition and there's more of a reward to playing in it.
Completely agree. It really needs to stand alone and not become a consolation prize for 'failed' HC sides.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:35 am

beshocked wrote:Student- A1 I agree completely.

Another point. ERC wasn't independent in the sense that it was biased towards Sky.

Gunsgerms Warburton is an airhead because he disagrees with you? It is his opinion. Just as you have an opinion.
Its an idiotic opinion as I just pointed out. Basically he wants Ireland, Wales, Italy and Scotland to share 6 HEC places while England and France get 6 each or something along those lines. Could he be any more thick?

Heres a thought, maybe each country should actually have the same amount of places!!!!

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:39 am

GunsGerms wrote:
beshocked wrote:Student- A1 I agree completely.

Its an idiotic opinion as I just pointed out. Basically he wants Ireland, Wales, Italy and Scotland to share 6 HEC places while England and France get 6 each or something along those lines. Could he be any more thick?

Heres a thought, maybe each country should actually have the same amount of places!!!!
What two?

Yes that would work!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:45 am

GunsGerms wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24069627

Warburton is a real airhead to make such comments. Glad he isnt head of the ERC. England and France the richest NH nations are and always will be guarenteed to have teams in the HC every year and the most amount of teams at that. Why shouldnt Italy, Ireland, Wales and Scotland.

Just because they dont have enough resources, players and teams to have their own leagues doesnt mean they should be punished for that.

alright, lets flip that.

Why should England and France be punished because the rabo unions have less resources, players and teams.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:48 am

They arent being punished. They already have more entrants to the HC than each of the other nations?????

How is that being punished? The PRL is just extremely greedy.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:50 am

GunsGerms wrote:They arent being punished. They already have more entrants to the HC than each of the other nations?????

just the PRL now, not the French too?

The hatred for the PRL on here really does make me laugh!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:55 am

nathan wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:They arent being punished. They already have more entrants to the HC than each of the other nations?????

just the PRL now, not the French too?

The hatred for the PRL on here really does make me laugh!
They are clearly the driving force behind it all because they are completly independant of the RFU where as the FFR seem to have some control over the Top 14. The French league are just playing both sides as I see it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:56 am

Welsh regions should just join the french league, our players tend to go there anyway.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:57 am

Qualification should be by league NOT by nation.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:02 am

Cyril wrote:Qualification should be by league NOT by nation.
Correct, it's the fairest way and it means that the HC is the best of the best not 'oh we only have two teams as we're a poor union so we deserve two places in the HC'
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:02 am

gcBlues wrote:Welsh regions should just join the french league, our players tend to go there anyway.
Combine the RP 12 with the T14. Sounds good to me.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 am

disagree. all nations should have a minimum of participants. otherwise there is no point of calling that a european competition. in my opinion playoffs to decide who else qualifies if the way forward so that all countries get a shot (including romania, russia, georgia or whoever wants in).

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:06 am

whocares wrote:
disagree. all nations should have a minimum of participants. otherwise there is no point of calling that a european competition. in my opinion playoffs to decide who else qualifies if the way forward so that all countries get a shot (including romania, russia, georgia or whoever wants in).
There would still be a 2nd tier euro cup, at the end of the day if your not good enough you shouldn't expect to walk into the supposedly premier European competition, places should be earned not gifted.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:06 am

Whatever happens, the rabo needs to be done by league finish NOT nationality. If italian teams miss out then it's tough, then it's up to the Italian RFU to sort out their teams. They've been in the 6Nations for 13 years now and they've had pro teams for a while as well, we've held their hands a long the way and they should now be fully capable of running their teams properly.

The whole 'it can't be european if a nation isn't represented' is a rubbish argument, why should a country be represented if their teams are woeful? It instantly devalues the tournament.

If the blues didn't get in to the top 6 and didn't qualify, i wouldn't kick up a fuss because i know they weren't good enough.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:08 am

Scrumpy wrote:
Correct, it's the fairest way and it means that the HC is the best of the best not 'oh we only have two teams as we're a poor union so we deserve two places in the HC'
Completly incorrect. If thats the case whats stopping the Irish teams just set up their own league with just four teams and get a guarenteed 4 spots every year? Should Italy set up a league with 6 teams and have a guarenteed 6 teams in the HC every year. Same as the number of English and French teams?

Greed, Greed, Greed!!!!!!!!!!!!

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:08 am

whocares wrote:
Where do you draw the line? The competition already isn't 'elite' and this will just make it worse.

When a side languishing at the bottom of a league with no wins can still automatically qualify for the 'premier' European competition it's a bit odd.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:09 am

gcBlues wrote:Whatever happens, the rabo needs to be done by league finish NOT nationality. If italian teams miss out then it's tough, then it's up to the Italian RFU to sort out their teams. They've been in the 6Nations for 13 years now and they've had pro teams for a while as well, we've held their hands for a while now.

The whole 'it can't be european if a nation isn't represented' is a rubbish argument, why should a country be represented if their teams are woeful? It instantly devalues the tournament.

If the blues didn't get in to the top 6 and didn't qualify, i wouldn't kick up a fuss because i know they weren't good enough.
gcBlues I agree, as a Bath fan the simple truth was we weren't good enough over the season to earn a place in the HC, It wouldn't feel right to be gifted a place year in year out without earning it.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:09 am

Guns germs it's only an idiotic opinion in your opinion.

You must understand that wanting equal places in terms of countries is flawed logic.

No matter how you look at it. The top two Italian sides are no match for the top 2 English sides. Funnily enough we are likely to see in the HC this season as Tigers will take on Treviso,Sarries will take on Zebre.

The top two Irish sides of course more than a match for the AP sides but the other two? Well Ulster's record against English sides is 39% in the HC. Connacht are a poor side.

I always find the argument for Irish having more than two automatic places flawed. Leinster and Munster ultimately carry the Pro12 and Irish threat in the HC. Without them it looks bleak.

You have 6 English teams with win rates in the HC of 59% and above. That beats all Pro12 sides bar Leinster and Munster.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:11 am

GunsGerms wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
Completly incorrect. If thats the case whats stopping the Irish teams just set up their own league with just four teams and get a guarenteed 4 spots every year? Should Italy set up a league with 6 teams and have a guarenteed 6 teams in the HC every year. Same as the number of English and French teams?

laughing  but we would still have teams that haven't earned the right to be there which is wrong, the HC is meant to be the best european clubs playing for the right to be crowned the best team in europe.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:12 am

GunsGerms wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:

Why should your worst side be guarranteed a place? When nations can't manage a full infrastructure and need to share a league it should mean they qualify from that league and not from that nation.

It would improve the Rabo for a start.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:15 am

Cyril wrote:
whocares wrote:
Where do you draw the line? The competition already isn't 'elite' and this will just make it worse.

When a side languishing at the bottom of a league with no wins can still automatically qualify for the 'premier' European competition it's a bit odd.
What would your split be from the Rabo? 8 or 6 teams? Personally, as I've said 8 is a fair qualification from the Rabo (in my opinion), so then teams like Zebre have a chance of making a realistic step from 12th to 8th.

I could even live with 7 and the Amlin winner stepping up (if they haven't qualified from their league).

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:17 am

Agree Cyril and Scrumpy.

The thing is the Pro12 sides don't want to lose their juicy cake. It's greed from the Pro12 sides. They have never had it so good.

Guns germs if you had 6 competitive Irish sides, 6 Italian sides etc it could work.

Perhaps Ireland should work on getting 4 competitive sides before wanting 6? Ulster are improving but have more work to do. Connacht have a very long way to go.

Treviso are improving too but have an awful lot of work to do. Zebre - well when you are at rock bottom the only way is up surely.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:20 am

Scrumpy wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:

laughing  but we would still have teams that haven't earned the right to be there which is wrong, the HC is meant to be the best european clubs playing for the right to be crowned the best team in europe.
Looking at the European Rankings of the best 20 teams in Europe seven are T14, eight are RP12 and five are AP teams.

Why should the league qualification not be based around that if we want the best teams involved?

Giving two places away from that to the Amlin winner and Previous season winner would mean losing the two lower placed sides, one is T14 the other RP12

So justifiably it should be split seven T14 teams, six RP12 and five AP teams plus the previous years winners of the HEC and Amlin. That would give you the best teams in Europe facing each other.

So next seasons qualifiers would be

Toulon (Last Years winners)
Clermont
Toulouse
Castre
Montpellier
Racing Metro
Perpignan
Bayonne
Leinster (Amlin Winners)
Ulster
Glasgow
Scarlets
Ospreys
Munster
Treviso
Saracens
Leicester Tigers
Quins
Saints
Gloucester

Last edited by maestegmafia on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:21 am

Risca Rev wrote:
Cyril wrote:
whocares wrote:

What would your split be from the Rabo? 8 or 6 teams? Personally, as I've said 8 is a fair qualification from the Rabo (in my opinion), so then teams like Zebre have a chance of making a realistic step from 12th to 8th.

I could even live with 7 and the Amlin winner stepping up (if they haven't qualified from their league).
The split should be the same from each league (6) plus HC and Amlin winner. Then you've got the best 20 sides who have qualified through merit.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am

Risca Rev wrote:
7 and 1 sounds good - I dont believe that the HEC champion should get the right to defend automatically, but keeping a place for the Amlin winner at least gives some tangible reward for that competition.

The next question is do you have runners up in the HEC dropping down to the Amlin or not? (surely not would be better for that competition.)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am

beshocked wrote:Guns germs it's only an idiotic opinion in your opinion.

You must understand that wanting equal places in terms of countries is flawed logic.

Its only flawed logic if your only aim is to allow club rugby to become a monster driven by wealth. Club competition should serve its purpose as a platform from which International rugby can flourish otherwise in my opinion the sport will very quickly become completly meaningless.

I see absolultly no reason why each country shouldnt have the same representation. "Merit" based competition inevitabely leads to dominance driven by money which serves no one well.

beshocked wrote:
No matter how you look at it. The top two Italian sides are no match for the top 2 English sides. Funnily enough we are likely to see in the HC this season as Tigers will take on Treviso,Sarries will take on Zebre.

The top two Irish sides of course more than a match for the AP sides but the other two? Well Ulster's record against English sides is 39% in the HC. Connacht are a poor side.

I always find the argument for Irish having more than two automatic places flawed. Leinster and Munster ultimately carry the Pro12 and Irish threat in the HC. Without them it looks bleak.

You have 6 English teams with win rates in the HC of 59% and above. That beats all Pro12 sides bar Leinster and Munster.

Ulster were in the Heineken cup final two seasons ago?? They have also won it before. They are just as good as Leinster and Munster right now but they would not be if they didnt play Hcup rugby.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:24 am

GunsGerms wrote:
beshocked wrote:Guns germs it's only an idiotic opinion in your opinion.

Its only flawed logic if your only aim is to allow club rugby to become a monster driven by wealth. Club competition should serve its purpose as a platform from which International rugby can flourish otherwise in my opinion the sport will very quickly become completly meaningless.

I see absolultly no reason why each country shouldnt have the same representation. "Merit" based competition inevitabely leads to dominance driven by money which serves no one well.

beshocked wrote:

Ulster were in the Heineken cup final two seasons ago?? They have also won it before. They are just as good as Leinster and Munster right now but they would not be if they didnt play Hcup rugby.
Club rugby already is a 'monster' if thats what you want to call it. Its a monster you have to learn to deal with. You cant ignore or destroy it.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:27 am

Yes but you can regulate it and structure it properly so it serves its purpose rather than allowing it to suffocate everything else. Thats what the ERC are for and they do a good job IMO.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:27 am

i'm another getting rid of the qualify by union rubbish, this isn't england vs ireland. These are club teams (regions or provinces, they mean the same bloody thing other than how there funded). I just don't see how the lower teams learn much from getting a whipping every time.

Surely it's much better for them to drop to the amlin and build from there. The experience of winning matches is what builds teams not getting a yearly beating.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next