The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish players to watch 2013/2014

+6
slane
Taffineastbourne
profitius
RuggerRadge2611
The Boss
Rory_Gallagher
10 posters

Go down

Irish players to watch 2013/2014 Empty Irish players to watch 2013/2014

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:01 pm

So carrying on from the threads in the club section, I thought I would make one specifically regarding the irish players.  To be honest there are a number of exciting irish players I am really looking forward to watching in their respective provinces this year, some relatively new to the scene and some who have been around for a long time.  I'll be focusing on Ulster but it would be good for the other irish fans to chip in with their respective provincial stars:

For Ulster:

Rory Best - I am interested to see if his old form is going to return, because he is going to be under a lot of pressure in the irish side.  For Ulster however he is unlikely to be challenged, so will get a lot of game time.

Iain Henderson - Pretty much a direct replacement for Ferris, potentially even better.  Is he a second row or a flanker?  Obviously Ireland are in greater need for a second row, but Hendy looks ferocious at 6.

Paddy Jackson - He had a mixed bag last season, but he is a very talented player.  Can he prove he is better than other young 10s?  He will be in direct contention with Madigan and Hanrahan.  All are behind Sexton.

Luke Marshall - Is he going to be kept at 12?  He is under immense pressure from Olding, but I think he offers more.  Either way, I think that one of Marshall or Olding is going to be the next irish 12.

Stuart Olding - Will he be able to displace Marshall? He is very talented, but if he doesn't start at 12, should he start somewhere else?  He is able to play 10, 12, 13 and 15.  He may be best at 12 though, like Marshall.

Chris Farrell - A different sort of centre to what other options offer, but he has the brains to go along with the brawn.  Is he a 12 or 13?  At 193cm tall and 105kg he is a big unit, and could offer much needed bulk in the back line.

Craig Gilroy - Gilroy is very talented but can blow hot and cold.  I feel he tried a bit too hard after his irish debut and started trying to run the ball from anywhere.  Needs to rediscover his magic, because he really is an incredibly dangerous winger.

So there you have 7 Ulster players who I think will be challenging for irish places (with Rory Best already nailed down, but coming under immense pressure if he does not rediscover his form).  Who can you see fighting for a place on the irish team over the next few seasons?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Irish players to watch 2013/2014 Empty Re: Irish players to watch 2013/2014

Post by The Boss Fri 06 Sep 2013, 1:28 pm

The 2 I'm most looking forward to seeing are Marshall and Olding. It's gonna be an interesting year in the centres for both Ireland and Ulster.

Henderson does have massive potential, but better than Ferris? In the next year or 2 I'd rather see him stick a position whether it is at 6 or lock.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 06 Sep 2013, 1:32 pm

Rory Best is one of the most frustrating players in world rugby for me. He has all the tools to be the best hooker in the world. Certainly a rival to Bismarck, his mind just doesn't seem to be in it.

Is it all a confidence thing for Best? He can do everything expected of a hooker and more, however at key times his lineout throwing disintegrates.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 06 Sep 2013, 1:49 pm

Farrell and Olding are the ones to watch out for this season.

For Munster

Dave O'Callaghan: He is a tall backrow who can play lock. He is physical and is now ready for the step up.

James Cronin: Loosehead starting tonight. A good ball carrier and some think will be a strong rival to Kilcoyne.

JJ Hanrahan: Most talented back Munster has produced in the pro era and that includes ROG. Thankfully he'll be playing at 10 for much of this season.

Andrew Conway: Poached from Leinster Conway was the best Irish U20 winger in teams that included Zebo and Gilroy.

Mike Sherry: Hes a bit under the radar from an Ireland point of view. Was very good last season.

Stephen Archer: Can he continue to improve? The new scrum laws should make things interesting.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 06 Sep 2013, 3:22 pm

The Boss wrote:The 2 I'm most looking forward to seeing are Marshall and Olding. It's gonna be an interesting year in the centres for both Ireland and Ulster.

Henderson does have massive potential, but better than Ferris? In the next year or 2 I'd rather see him stick a position whether it is at 6 or lock.

In your opinion what do you see happening with Marshall and Olding? Who do you see starting at 12 and where do you see the other one ending up? Will he be resigned to the bench or moved to another position?

I genuinely believe Hendy has the potential to be better than Ferris. Having went to school with him, he is supremely talented. He is not only hugely physical, but he is a skilful player with a real rugby brain. He is the most exciting option in the pack we have. I think he will be the first name in the team sheet along with Cian Healy for the pack over the next few seasons.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 06 Sep 2013, 3:23 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Rory Best is one of the most frustrating players in world rugby for me. He has all the tools to be the best hooker in the world. Certainly a rival to Bismarck, his mind just doesn't seem to be in it.

Is it all a confidence thing for Best? He can do everything expected of a hooker and more, however at key times his lineout throwing disintegrates.
I agree with you and I totally think it is a confidence issue, Radge. He is struggling with the criticism and the pressure right now.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 06 Sep 2013, 3:25 pm

I am really looking forward to seeing if Madigan can kick on this season.He really impressed me last season.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 06 Sep 2013, 3:25 pm

profitius wrote:Farrell and Olding are the ones to watch out for this season.

For Munster

Dave O'Callaghan: He is a tall backrow who can play lock. He is physical and is now ready for the step up.

James Cronin: Loosehead starting tonight. A good ball carrier and some think will be a strong rival to Kilcoyne.

JJ Hanrahan: Most talented back Munster has produced in the pro era and that includes ROG. Thankfully he'll be playing at 10 for much of this season.

Andrew Conway: Poached from Leinster Conway was the best Irish U20 winger in teams that included Zebo and Gilroy.

Mike Sherry: Hes a bit under the radar from an Ireland point of view. Was very good last season.

Stephen Archer: Can he continue to improve? The new scrum laws should make things interesting.
I remember thinking Dave O'Callaghan had great potential but isn't he going to struggle massively to see game time? He has a lot of competition. Do you think he has the potential to be an irish international?

Hanrahan is a player I will be keeping a close eye on. He is extremely talented. Can he live up to the hype surrounding him? We will see.

I want to see Sherry threaten Rory Best for the starting spot at hooker. Sherry is a very skilful player in open play, and very accurate with his throws. Might he lack physicality at the highest levels though?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by slane Fri 06 Sep 2013, 3:45 pm

Ulster's line up is interesting in that Olding is starting at 12 and Marshall is at 13, might be a sign of things to come although I would have thought Olding would be better suited to play 13.

For Leinster

Martin Moore: Ireland's answer to our tight head problems. At 5' 11" and 19st he looks set to become a regular for Leinster this season. In a pre season friendly a few weeks back he held his own again Northampton.

Jack McGrath: is Healy 2.0 serious talent and looks set to play a more important role for Leinster this season.

Others to look out for: Kieran Marmion, Tommy O'Donnell, Hanrahan, Henderson, Conway...

Schmidt has some unreal talent at his disposal it just depends on how he decided to use it.

slane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 06 Sep 2013, 4:07 pm

slane wrote:Ulster's line up is interesting in that Olding is starting at 12 and Marshall is at 13, might be a sign of things to come although I would have thought Olding would be better suited to play 13.

For Leinster

Martin Moore: Ireland's answer to our tight head problems. At 5' 11" and 19st he looks set to become a regular for Leinster this season. In a pre season friendly a few weeks back he held his own again Northampton.

Jack McGrath: is Healy 2.0 serious talent and looks set to play a more important role for Leinster this season.

Others to look out for: Kieran Marmion, Tommy O'Donnell, Hanrahan, Henderson, Conway...

Schmidt has some unreal talent at his disposal it just depends on how he decided to use it.
Farrell is playing at 12 tonight, not Olding. Though I think you are right, it seems like Farrell will be eventually replaced by Olding at 12 with Marshall being tried at 13 for a while.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 06 Sep 2013, 4:19 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
profitius wrote:Farrell and Olding are the ones to watch out for this season.

For Munster

I remember thinking Dave O'Callaghan had great potential but isn't he going to struggle massively to see game time?  He has a lot of competition.  Do you think he has the potential to be an irish international?

Hanrahan is a player I will be keeping a close eye on.  He is extremely talented.  Can he live up to the hype surrounding him?  We will see.

I want to see Sherry threaten Rory Best for the starting spot at hooker.  Sherry is a very skilful player in open play, and very accurate with his throws.  Might he lack physicality at the highest levels though?

Thats the story of Irish rugby, Rory. I think hes the sort of player who can do the dirty work, a more traditional workhorse blindside. I think now he is behind POM so hopefully he'll get plenty of games this season.

Hanrahan can live up to the hype alright. Hes a bit raw yet but I think he could be better than the general public think.

Sherry is not massive but not small either. Hes good at the breakdown, maybe not at Bests level there but he is getting there. His throwing and mobility are his strengths.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 06 Sep 2013, 4:27 pm

One irish player to look out for playing in France is the young outhalf Peter Lydon who made his debut for Stade Francais against Castres.

He was only playing for Seapoint last year. .

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Fri 06 Sep 2013, 7:22 pm

I'd agree with ya Rory. Olding at 12 and Marshall at 13. 2 different types of 12 and it is a good problem to have for Ireland and Ulster.

That's high praise indeed for Hendo. Ferris is 1 of the true world class we have.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 06 Sep 2013, 8:07 pm

I just hope Zebo kicks on for Munster, and Madigan can take over Sexton's mantle
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 06 Sep 2013, 8:09 pm

The Boss wrote:I'd agree with ya Rory. Olding at 12 and Marshall at 13. 2 different types of 12 and it is a good problem to have for Ireland and Ulster.

That's high praise indeed for Hendo. Ferris is 1 of the true world class we have.
To be honest Boss, although I see it going down that route, I would prefer Marshall to start at 12 with Olding at 13. We will see how it all pans out though, a lot will be answered this season.

Yep, I think Hendy is that good.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Fri 06 Sep 2013, 8:16 pm

Olding, Rory Best, Henderson, Farrell, Jared Payne... big season for Gilroy methinks. Last chance saloon for Andrew Trimble? Anyone else think Dan Tuohy could suit Ireland? Can Paul Marshall fit into Schmidt's plans?

Fitz (like every year really) Madigan, McGrath brothers, anyone fill me in on Dan Leavy? Also SOB after an impressive Lions tour, will he return to his spectacular best at 6 or more of the team-player at 7 who impressed against Australia?
Heaslip could be fighting for his place. Will Tom Daly get a chance?

This is a big season for Munster IMO.

There's that bloke who's buggered off to France.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Fri 06 Sep 2013, 8:17 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:I just hope Zebo kicks on for Munster, and Madigan can take over Sexton's mantle
Another season like last and he is proven quality no question.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Fri 06 Sep 2013, 8:17 pm

theslosty wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:I just hope Zebo kicks on for Munster, and Madigan can take over Sexton's mantle
Another season like last and he is proven quality no question.
Zebo I meant but Madser also applies.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Fri 06 Sep 2013, 8:19 pm

Olding, Rory Best, Henderson, Farrell, Jared Payne... big season for Gilroy methinks. Last chance saloon for Andrew Trimble? Anyone else think Dan Tuohy could suit Ireland? Can Paul Marshall fit into Schmidt's plans?

Fitz (like every year really) Madigan, McGrath brothers, anyone fill me in on Dan Leavy? Also SOB after an impressive Lions tour, will he return to his spectacular best at 6 or more of the team-player at 7 who impressed against Australia?
Heaslip could be fighting for his place. Will Tom Daly get a chance?

This is a big season for Munster IMO.

There's that bloke who's buggered off to France.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:10 pm

Well I don't think the Farrell-Marshall axis was particularly effective tonight. Marshall looked dangerous but again seems more effective at 12 where he can be more involved. Farrell looked a bit lost at times, would like to see the combination again with the positions swapped. Next week I think Cave will be back at 13 though.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:38 pm

Will follow with interest the emergence of Irish players with the signing of Smit Rory, the BOD thing aside things look good in Ireland at the moment looking at the powerhouse clubs in Ulster, Munster and Leinster. Irish rugby looks to have been simmering quietly along till now but look to burst out soon with a small but solid looking base of core players.

Have said plenty of times on these boards that I'll be heading staright for Mollys on Courtney place to celebrate with the Irish when they beat the AB's. Never know, could be as soon as this year. I'm picking one of Ireland or Argie to break the drought this year....could even be tonight. Theyve been very quiet this week.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down