The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Jimmy Goperth or Ian Madigan be able to fill the gap sexton left?

+4
yappysnap
Geordie
thebandwagonsociety
dragon4life
8 posters

Go down

Will Jimmy Goperth or Ian Madigan be able to fill the gap sexton left? Empty Will Jimmy Goperth or Ian Madigan be able to fill the gap sexton left?

Post by dragon4life Wed 28 Aug 2013, 4:28 pm

I saw Madigan a few times last season and he looked creative, fast and had a good boot on him but can he replace the gap sexton left. Could someone give me some info on Goperth?

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Will Jimmy Goperth or Ian Madigan be able to fill the gap sexton left? Empty Re: Will Jimmy Goperth or Ian Madigan be able to fill the gap sexton left?

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 28 Aug 2013, 4:46 pm

The line on Goperth would be that he is a safe pair of hands, more of a kicker than a creative player and an above-decent goal kicker.

The main thing that Madigan will have to handle is being number 1 choice.  This means he will be targetted more than before, will be played in the more important/pressure games.  He doesn't shy away in the tackle but that will mean more wear and tear (we need him to stay fit/fresh/healthy).

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Will Jimmy Goperth or Ian Madigan be able to fill the gap sexton left? Empty Re: Will Jimmy Goperth or Ian Madigan be able to fill the gap sexton left?

Post by Geordie Wed 28 Aug 2013, 4:48 pm

Ahh Jimmy.

You will soon discover Jimmys over reliance on his boot. The irony is he actually does posses a good running and passing game...he just doesnt seem comfortable enough to back himself and use it. Hence i was perfectly happy for him to move on.

I imagine Jimmy will play when you simply are playing %'s. Havent seen much of Madigan...so cant comment

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Wed 28 Aug 2013, 4:54 pm

Thanks

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 28 Aug 2013, 4:55 pm

Geordie, you haven't seen much of Madigan but you'll soon hear plenty about him.  He could easily become the in vogue hot prospect in the next 6 months.  It is already a bit of a love-in at this side of the water. Expect the hype-machine to go into overdrive in the next little while. You'll be sick of the name and the hype soon enough, trust me.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 28 Aug 2013, 5:29 pm

Just wait until Stu Barnes gets in on the action...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 28 Aug 2013, 10:07 pm

Madser Just signed a 2 year extension on his contract today. Giving him 3 more seasons at Leinster.

Jimmy has 2.

I have a feeling that Jimmy and Zane Kirchner will prosper in a creative back line at Leinster and think they may surprise a few people at their old clubs. (If they're watching)

I think Jimmy will run Mads a bit closer than most people assume.

We'll soon see.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 29 Aug 2013, 9:35 am

Outhalfs should do well in the leinster set up.  Tight 5 isn't dominant but backrow has lots of strength and depth. That tidies up ball for some classy scrumhalfs in (anybody from Boss/Reddan/McGrath/Cooney). And while it is an aging first choice set of centres it is a well settled group of players with lots of experience in creative play to bring through both kirchner and Jimmy.

A glass half full assessment.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 29 Aug 2013, 2:54 pm

There's a bit being mentioned in the media about Madigan being on a Leinster contract still and not a central contract like Sexton was.  I presume that as there is Madigan/Keatley/Jackson now first choice effectively across 3 of the provinces and the ability to select sexton, they feel that they don't need to be as hands on in controlling the player as much.

When ROG was playing with no real competition or alternative option below him (not saying he was poor, he played 110% for us every game (or 100% if you measure accurately), just that we were screwed if he got hurt for a couple of years there) the irfu must have felt it was more important to secure both ROG and subsequently sexton until they had an adequate level of depth behind them.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Thu 29 Aug 2013, 3:49 pm

No they wont... or maybe they will.

I do like to give a well measured & balanced arguement.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:04 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Madser Just signed a 2 year extension on his contract today. Giving him 3 more seasons at Leinster.

Jimmy has 2.

I have a feeling that Jimmy and Zane Kirchner will prosper in a creative back line at Leinster and think they may surprise a few people at their old clubs. (If they're watching)

I think Jimmy will run Mads a bit closer than most people assume.

We'll soon see.
When does Kirchener arrive? Why isnt he starting v Northampton tonight?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:28 am

He is holding tackle bags for the boks and won't arrive until the ospreys HC game in Oct.

Expect a not unrelated curve ball in the next week that will have everyone talking.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:38 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:He is holding tackle bags for the boks and won't arrive until the ospreys HC game in Oct.

Expect a not unrelated curve ball in the next week that will have everyone talking.

Just tell us now.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 30 Aug 2013, 1:31 pm

No.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Aug 2013, 1:33 pm

Kirchener is the new backs coach.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 30 Aug 2013, 1:47 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:No.
PM?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 30 Aug 2013, 1:47 pm

rodders wrote:Kirchener is the new backs coach.
Hope thats a joke.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:27 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy 30/8/13 wrote:He is holding tackle bags for the boks and won't arrive until the ospreys HC game in Oct.

OK it took a little longer than I thought. I'd say they had to wait for him to play his last game of league, which he did on Saturday

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/leinster-confirm-tuqiri-signing-1.1521197

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:30 pm

And in fairness Everyone was talking about it last week. It broke on twitter the day after my post.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:47 pm

How was Kirchener allowed play in the Quad nations? Is he signing for Leinster or not?

As for Tiquiri am I right he hasnt played union for a few years? Wonder what sort of condition he is in.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:57 pm

Same way Ruan Pienaar and every other sh player is "allowed" and rightly so.

Tuqiri has not played union since Leicester 3 years ago.

Would not worry me unduly though. For 1 he as multiple international caps in both codes, and for 2 winger is the easiest transition between the codes.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down