The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Scrum laws

+21
The Saint
Rory_Gallagher
GavinDragon
ChequeredJersey
thebandwagonsociety
bathmad
nganboy
nathan
Metal Tiger
No 7&1/2
GloriousEmpire
LordDowlais
Portnoy's Complaint
aucklandlaurie
InjuredYetAgain
Poorfour
Hound of Harrow
alanmackie6
Brendan
rodders
Geordie
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Scrum laws - Page 2 Empty New Scrum laws

Post by Guest Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

So I don't think there has been much discussion about the new Scrum laws, so what are your opinions?

I quite like the fact there are less restarts/penalties at scrum time and that the scrum halves have to be more consistent with their put ins. However will this lead to a change in tactics for a lot of teams? Eben Etzbeth says in this interview that the whole pack is responsible for scrums now to help drive forward, will this result in heavier packs selected?

Back to top Go down

New Scrum laws - Page 2 Empty Re: New Scrum laws

Post by offload Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:33 am

I watched a couple of live games and a round up and I'm optimistic. Far less resets and real hooking again! I've two concers, firstly the inconsistency of the ref to apply the laws, although its only week one so hopefully it will improve. The bigger concern is the way the ref tells the 9 to put the ball in, signalling to the defending 8 when to shove. If the attacking hooker has to hook the ball then the attacking team needs to determine the strike. That's the advantage of the put in. It's not fair if the defending team can shove 8 against 7 because they know exactly when the ball is coming in.

I've had a couple of pints so maybe my last point is not clear, but trust me, I know exactly what I mean. Wink 
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 10 Sep 2013, 8:29 am

I think that it's a misconception that the ref instructs the scrummie exactly when to feed the ball. He tells him that the scrum is stable. There is still enough time to take advantage of the head especially if signalling is developed between hooker and half-back for timing the feed and the strike.

But refs will have to enforce the laws which state that the shove starts after the feed and not when the ref says 'yes nine'. That should be a penalty. [I think.]

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2