The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Batsmen in the Ashes accused of bat tampering to confuse Hotspot

+8
alfie
Scarpia
VTR
Hoggy_Bear
msp83
Duty281
Fists of Fury
Fernando
12 posters

Go down

Batsmen in the Ashes accused of bat tampering to confuse Hotspot Empty Batsmen in the Ashes accused of bat tampering to confuse Hotspot

Post by Fernando Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:29 am

Players in the Ashes series may have found a way to fool the umpire's Decision Referral System in a scandal that could rock the cricket world.

Nine News reports that some players may have been using silicon tape on the edges of their bats in order to dupe the HotSpot technology used by the third umpire.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8702525

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Batsmen in the Ashes accused of bat tampering to confuse Hotspot Empty Re: Batsmen in the Ashes accused of bat tampering to confuse Hotspot

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:33 am

Nonsense. It'd prevent hotspot from saving you from inside edges on lbw appeals, for a start.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Batsmen in the Ashes accused of bat tampering to confuse Hotspot Empty Re: Batsmen in the Ashes accused of bat tampering to confuse Hotspot

Post by Duty281 Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:49 am

Silicon tape? Vaseline? I just don't trust Hotspot, and I've wanted it gone since the 1st Test. It hinders more than it helps.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:03 pm

I hope this isn't true. Cricket can very well do without such a controversy. Fists' point is a very crucial one and on that basis itself, I have to say I have my strong doubts regarding the so called silicon tape workaround.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:22 pm

And this comes from Australia does it? This completely unfounded accusation with little to no evidence. I thought it was meant to be whinging pom, not a whinging Aussie?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:25 pm

The Aussies whinge alright. If there was an Ashes for whinging they would easily win that, I think they throw the term our way to distract from their own whinging.

Presumable one roll of silicone tape is on its way to Brad Haddin?!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:46 pm

VTR wrote:The Aussies whinge alright.

See Warne's piece in the Telegraph for a prime example.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/10226483/Ashes-2013-Congratulations-England-but-dont-be-too-smug-as-Australia-are-now-on-top.html

Apparently the press have been astounded by some of the things England players have said, especially Matt Prior, who was, according to Warne, particularly smug. So what have England players, Prior for example, been saying that is so smug/arrogant? Oh! Warne doesn't actually mention that, just one quote from Graeme Swann in an interview on the tele with Ian ward. We'll just have to take Warne's word that England are arrogant then, won't we?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Hoggy_Bear wrote:
VTR wrote:The Aussies whinge alright.  

See Warne's piece in the Telegraph for a prime example.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/10226483/Ashes-2013-Congratulations-England-but-dont-be-too-smug-as-Australia-are-now-on-top.html

Apparently the press have been astounded by some of the things England players have said, especially Matt Prior, who was, according to Warne, particularly smug. So what have England players, Prior for example, been saying that is so smug/arrogant? Oh! Warne doesn't actually mention that, just one quote from Graeme Swann in an interview on the tele with Ian ward. We'll just have to take Warne's word that England are arrogant then, won't we?

Laugh Laugh Laugh 

The perfect follow-up to when he wrote that England were "lucky" after the First Test, and Australia would have the "momentum" going into the second test. We all know how that worked out!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/10181374/Ashes-2013-England-were-lucky-and-Australia-can-still-win-this-series.html

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Ha ha, that's a classic piece by Warney, where do you start with that? It seems like he's decided on an angle for the article then written a load of rubbish around it to fill out the word count.

I love the way he rips into Cook and Trott then proclaims that Watson and Smith are part of a strong middle order, because they have been doing so much better haven't they (one score between them all series - and that could have ended 4 or 5 times).

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:39 pm

One man's confidence is another man's arrogance.

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:34 pm

Oh dear...suppose one should never laugh out loud too quickly at a crackpot theory in this imperfect world of ours ; but this really does sound like a load of b.....ks.

Actually I understand it was suggested both sides were "possibly" involved in this nefarious practice...but it seems the suggestion came from an anonymous twitter piece by someone claiming to be an authority on the development of hotspot...

Think I might risk a little laugh Very Happy 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:11 pm

The ICC has denied that it is investigating the said issue. Think that could be the end of this story, till next time, when things progress from Vaseline to silicon to whatever!. Has Michael Vaughan got something to say about this?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:41 pm

They should just go back to traditional umpiring, the controversy over poor decisions went away a lot quicker.

After all, is cricket not a sport that lovingly holds on to traditions?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:28 pm

Sorry, but silicon based tape is the adhesive part which is tolerant to a wide range of temperatures, which actually means it doesn't degrade between something like -50 to 250C degrees. Its not resistant to temperature or mask temperatures, you would need something that reduces friction like Teflon or some such. you see silicon based tape on computer peripheral carriage tape holding lids and moving parts together in transit, blueish tape. It sticks to almost any kind of surface which is why it is so popular, but as a material to mask friction , its both too thin and obvious to the naked eye anyway.

They've shot themselves in the foot over this, by making up a load of tosh thinking we're dumb enough to fall for it. Typical Aussie nappies trying to stir up trouble before the next test.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:24 am

Wasn't it mainly Pietersen they are pointing the finger at.....

Aussies have a great dislike for the guy...believing he's the biggest mercenary in cricket and shouldn't be playing for England.....

i agree with them..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:49 am

Rules are rules TRUSSMAN, he qualifies to play for England due to parent and would qualify for residency if needed. Was told he wasn't considered good enough for SA so we are where we are. It's a similar rule to many other sports.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:55 am

Suggest Trussman looks up the case of Fawad Ahmed. Its ok Trussman, you won't have heard of him as you clearly don't follow or know anything about cricket, just come on here looking for a rise by posting the same thing over and over.

Anyway, look him up, and please **** off whilst you are doing it.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Wasn't it mainly Pietersen they are pointing the finger at.....

Aussies have a great dislike for the guy...believing he's the biggest mercenary in cricket and shouldn't be playing for England.....

i agree with them..

Oh bless, more jealously. Laugh 

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down