The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fixing TNA: How a few small changes can make all the difference. Chapter One

Go down

Fixing TNA: How a few small changes can make all the difference. Chapter One Empty Fixing TNA: How a few small changes can make all the difference. Chapter One

Post by crippledtart Tue 06 Aug 2013, 11:52 pm

Article also available at http://v2journal.com/17/post/2013/08/august-06th-2013.html

For a while now, I have been attempting to contact Dixie Carter to share with her a document I wrote. The document details simple and fundamental rules in wrestling booking which I believe have been overlooked by TNA to varying degrees. I snuck backstage at Wembley Arena in January in an attempt to get it to her, only to encounter a particularly unhelpful rigger; I sent the document to TNA headquarters in Nashville, only to receive a letter back informing me that TNA does not accept unsolicited material; recently, I have been trying to engage with Dixie on Twitter, but this has got me nowhere.

Thankfully, where many would give up, I am quite accustomed to female rejection, and have developed something of a thick skin over the years. So here I share the document in the hope that somehow it will end up on Dixie Carter's desk.

I am not looking for a job in wrestling. I have no ulterior motive except to see wrestling presented in the best possible light. This advice is offered free of charge for anyone to use it, should they wish. I think the basic principles are valid at any level of the wrestling industry.

If nothing else, I hope you enjoy reading this, whether you are a power broker in the industry, or an ordinary fan just like me.

The document consists of seven chapters, which I will publish individually. Starting now...

CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION

Wrestling exists within a very unique and specific set of rules which, when adhered to, have been proven to work time and time again. When those rules are not followed, wrestling promotions have not experienced sustained success.

Wrestling is ultimately a simulated sport, with all the advantages of being scripted. The aim should be the same that it ever was: To create stars, and to  manipulate the audience into wanting to see those stars in matches. The best way to do this is to present some of those stars as admirable protagonists, and others as unlikeable antagonists. Just like every other form of fiction, ever, wrestling needs heroes the audience can relate to and villains who represent the negative things we see in the world. I make no apologies for using words like "heroes" and "villains". Some people within the industry claim that such an approach is antiquated and outdated. That is plain wrong. Everything that has ever made money in the history of wrestling involved a protagonist and an antagonist. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin? Make no mistake, he may have cussed and he may have been fond of drinking, but he was presented as someone to be cheered, respected and admired. The New World Order? They may have been cool and they may have kicked ass, but they were ultimately arrogant bullies intent on destroying WCW. Characters can blur the line between face and heel, but they must be defined as one or the other to make any money. There is no need to complicate the roles of faces and heels. In fact, it can be very damaging to do such a thing. The aim should be simply to build up matches between good guys, who the fans like and respect and admire and want to win, and bad guys, who the fans dislike and want to see beaten. This in turn is almost certain to lead to improved house show attendance, TV ratings and pay-per-view buyrates, still the most reliable barometers for success in the wrestling industry.

I assure you that I would not have gone to this effort if I wanted TNA to fail. I want the best for TNA, and I believe that, with the talent at its disposal, TNA has sold itself short for some time.

I have been a wrestling fan for over twenty years, and for most of that time I have been a fascinated observer of the wider industry, its history, its successes and failures, what makes money and what does not. I present this advice simply for the benefit of TNA, because I believe that the wrestling industry needs TNA to be successful, and I believe it is not difficult for a company with TNA’s foundations to be wildly successful and eventually challenge WWE for dominance of the industry.

It is my opinion that the company can save itself a lot of money while greatly increasing its fanbase and revenue by following the upcoming basic steps. None of it is ground breaking and none of it costs any extra money to implement, however I believe these small changes will be far more beneficial (and less expensive) than going live every week, taking Impact on the road, or even signing certain big name wrestlers.

I truly believe that, if TNA follows these principles, it will enjoy a level of success that many may have thought not possible.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down