The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acclaimed films that don't float your boat

+16
ONETWOFOREVER
The Saint
incontinentia
Stella
MetalMotty
superflyweight
rIck_dAgless
The Womble
TRUSSMAN66
Galted
Mike Selig
bhb001
Rowley
Enforcer
Adam D
dummy_half
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Acclaimed films that don't float your boat - Page 2 Empty Acclaimed films that don't float your boat

Post by dummy_half Wed 31 Jul 2013 - 15:45

First topic message reminder :

Following on from discussions on the radio over the last couple of days, what are the films that, for all their popularity or acclaim just leave you wondering what everyone is raving about?

My first entry to the list:

Heat. Overly long and dull. Having de Niro and Pacino in isn't enough of a draw for me, especially when they hardly appear on screen together. IN fact, I've started watching it three times and never reached the end.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Acclaimed films that don't float your boat - Page 2 Empty Re: Acclaimed films that don't float your boat

Post by Dass Fri 2 Aug 2013 - 12:21

I can't debate that in many ways the Godfather films have some terrific acting (though at times over hyped) and is a well made film and experience. My main problem with it personally is there's a plethora of other movies I'd rather watch that feature gangsters in them and enjoyed immeasurable more the viewing experience. Its a fact as a massive film fan that's seen a wide range of movies that I struggle to get away from.

Then again what do I know Smile

Dass

Back to top Go down

Acclaimed films that don't float your boat - Page 2 Empty Re: Acclaimed films that don't float your boat

Post by Guest Fri 2 Aug 2013 - 12:27

Rowley wrote:Three is ruined by Sofia Coppola, talented enough director but the girl cannot act. Nepotism at its absolute worst. Also George Hamilton may have a wonderful suntan but he is no Robert Duvall.
Trivia time - baby Michael in the Christening scene in Godfather I is played by.....Sofia Coppola

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 2 Aug 2013 - 15:31

But at least we get to see her blown away at the end..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 2 Aug 2013 - 15:46

The Colour Purple
All the Star Wars Films
All the Godfather Films
Titanic.........there's a few hours I'll never get back sadly....
Brokeback Mountain
Shoreshank Redemption
Any Hitchcock film but especially Psycho

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Fri 2 Aug 2013 - 15:50

Diggers wrote:The Colour Purple
All the Star Wars Films
All the Godfather Films
Brokeback Mountain
Shoreshank Redemption

I'd agree with this apart from the fact Rear Window is just that good it deserves everything and more.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 2 Aug 2013 - 15:56

Dass wrote:
Diggers wrote:The Colour Purple
All the Star Wars Films
All the Godfather Films
Brokeback Mountain
Shoreshank Redemption

I'd agree with this apart from the fact Rear Window is just that good it deserves everything and more.

Yeah, I was being a tad harsh on Alfred, Rear Window is good. But as a body of work I think his films are a overhyped. But its all down to personal taste I guess.
I completely agree that Lost in Translation in trips, and I actually enjoy that kind of mumblecore movie as a rule. But I have to be honest, I find Bill Murray to be a really annoying actor, I think part of that film wax about how amazing he could express his feelings without speaking but for me he just mostly does a lot of annoying gurning. He's the same in Broken Flowers, another rubbish film.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 2 Aug 2013 - 16:13

How could I forget...Blade Runner......I cannot stand that film.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Sun 4 Aug 2013 - 13:00

plan 9 from outer space . really disappointed Very Happy 

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sun 4 Aug 2013 - 13:57

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:plan 9  from outer space .   really disappointed Very Happy 

Very Happy 

I was actually disappointed with Plan 9.  It was as bad as is said but it was too disjointed and boring to be enjoyed and lacks the charm of other abysmal yet watchable films like Troll 2 or Beast of Yukka Flats.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 10:11

i dont know if its because Im older and my taste are different but i find a lot of classic eighties and early nineties films annoying now to watch . gremlins , teenwolf , et ,

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 10:45

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:i dont know if its because Im older and my taste are different but i find a lot of classic eighties and early nineties films annoying now to watch .  gremlins   , teenwolf   ,  et  ,  

I agree they haven't aged particularly well. Possibly an idea for another thread. What films do you think haven't aged well / stood the test of time?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 12:37

Don't see what the fuss is about "The Exorcist" or "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". Wow, banned for 30 year blah blah blah and when you get round to watching them you realise you've already seen better/worse things in other films and the shock value is minimal.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 12:59

The Exorcist was never banned as far as I know. It was more that it was ground breaking for its time, really, but still a film I like.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 13:11

The Exorcist is almost very good, let down by the head-spinning scene and the luminous vomit.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 13:25

bhb001 wrote:The Exorcist was never banned as far as I know. It was more that it was ground breaking for its time, really, but still a film I like.
I'm sure it was. I thought that was the tagline when it was re-released in cinemas. I went to watch it and, whilst it's clearly good, it's in no way as terrifying as they'd have you believe. I suppose it's no more hyped than Blair Witch was however, Exorcist has any number of advantages ie it's not utter cack. I just don't think it's a brilliant as some would have you believe.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 14:04

Well, there are the obvious ones.

Titanic
Oops...that's two strikes to you. Three and you're out.

but truly acclaimed movies?

Godfather series. I should like them, and probably do like them on a level (individual scenes and individual acting slices), but not overall or to the level that they were fawned upon then or now. Not a series I'd watch and rewatch.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 16:23

bhb001 wrote:
jimmyinthewell68 wrote:i dont know if its because Im older and my taste are different but i find a lot of classic eighties and early nineties films annoying now to watch .  gremlins   , teenwolf   ,  et  ,  

I agree they haven't aged particularly well. Possibly an idea for another thread. What films do you think haven't aged well / stood the test of time?

I certainly get where you are coming from there - I'm guessing Jimmy is not far off my age given the films he's listed. Could perhaps add Ghostbusters to that list, although I think the Back to the Future films have stood up quite well (at least 1 and 3 - 2 was always a bit of an oddity as a linking film between them). A few Brat Pack movies could also be added to the lsit too.

I think the criticism of Hitchcock, Citizen Kane and the 'classic' horror films is really from the same perspective - we have subsequently seen the same sort of thing done better, so don't see the groundbreaking nature of these being the first films to do certain things (e.g. CKs innovations in cenematography).

Of course, many (most?) films that were hyped at their release for their special effects now look dated, as I'm sure those using the latest SFx tools will in 5 years time.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 16:53

A Clockwork Orange - MacDowell's character irritates the holy hell out of me. The scene where he's in hospital being spoon fed his meals and he's chomping his food and smacking his lips is perhaps the most teeth grindingly infuriating thing I've seen.

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 16:56

DAVE667 wrote:A Clockwork Orange - MacDowell's character irritates the holy hell out of me. The scene where he's in hospital being spoon fed his meals and he's chomping his food and smacking his lips is perhaps the most teeth grindingly infuriating thing I've seen.

Oh God, how did I not put THAT one in my opening post.

Actually, most of Kubrick's films would be on my list - 2001 is definitely another that misses for me...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 17:03

I think you two are being a bit harsh on A Clockwork Orange - an annoying character or characteristic doesn't make for a bad film, think of Mozart & his laugh in Amadeus.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 17:54

Galted wrote:I think you two are being a bit harsh on A Clockwork Orange - an annoying character or characteristic doesn't make for a bad film, think of Mozart & his laugh in Amadeus.
No that's true, however, I do genuinely get left cold by "A Clockwork Orange" I've also read the book and can't say I feel better for the experience.

Perhaps I can't connect with it because I am still too young (at 42) to appreciate the era in which it was made. Back then I was more interested in watching BMX Bandits and the like as opposed to appreciating classic/contemporary cinema. Then again, having watched 2001 - A Space Odessy, maybe it's just Kubrick, then again, I absolutely love "Full Metal Jacket"

Maybe, A Clock Orange just isn't very good

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 18:32

DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:I think you two are being a bit harsh on A Clockwork Orange - an annoying character or characteristic doesn't make for a bad film, think of Mozart & his laugh in Amadeus.
No that's true, however, I do genuinely get left cold by "A Clockwork Orange" I've also read the book and can't say I feel better for the experience.

Perhaps I can't connect with it because I am still too young (at 42) to appreciate the era in which it was made. Back then I was more interested in watching BMX Bandits and the like as opposed to appreciating classic/contemporary cinema. Then again, having watched 2001 - A Space Odessy, maybe it's just Kubrick, then again, I absolutely love "Full Metal Jacket"

Maybe, A Clock Orange just isn't very good

I find Kubrick hit and (mostly) miss - I like Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon and the first half of FMJ but not vaguely impressed by anything else he's done though haven't seen anything pre-Paths of Glory. Am the same age as you and was obsessed with CO in my early twenties, to the point of speaking Nadsat til my friends wanted to glass me - the book and film struck some odd chord with me but I have to admit I could easily see how someone could be less smitten than I was.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 19:22

You don't like Dr Strangelove? Superb Kubrick film. Not over rated in my opinion

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 19:50

Yeah I'm a little surprised by the knocking of Dr Strangelove, its in my opinion Kubrick's best film and Sellers at his absolute best. You should really watch Th Killing also which was filmed just prior to Paths of Glory Smile

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 20:30

Don't hate Dr Strangelove but wasn't hugely impressed by it, had properly heard too much about it and could never live up to the ridiculous expectation I had of it. Have only seen it once so might be worth another watch now that I don't expect too much.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 20:30

Will give The Killing a go.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2