The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wait Before The Fight - What does it feel like?

5 posters

Go down

The Wait Before The Fight - What does it feel like? Empty The Wait Before The Fight - What does it feel like?

Post by WelshDevilRob Sat 20 Jul 2013, 8:19 pm

"The wait in the dressing room before a professional boxing match would strip a man who never fought before of whatever pride, desire, courage and heart he THOUGHT he had..." - John Scully

Ringnews24.com: You were involved in a total of 49 professional fights. Did the wait before a fight get any easier with more fight experience?

ICEMAN: It got somewhat easier as time went on, yes, but it never fully went away. When I was a young boxer I thought it was just me so I never mentioned it to anyone, I just tried to deal with it on my own. But then one day a boxer from area named Patrick Ireland mentioned something to me in the dressing room one night at the Golden Gloves in Holyoke, Massachusetts. He said to me, "Do you ever think before a fight that if you break your shoe lace when you're tying your boxing shoes on that it is a sign that you will lose?"

Read full Interview here: http://www.ringnews24.com/index.php/interviews/item/9628-the-wait-before-the-fight

Have any members here boxed and can they relate to this interview, with John Scully, about the hour, or so, before the ringwalk?

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

The Wait Before The Fight - What does it feel like? Empty Re: The Wait Before The Fight - What does it feel like?

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 20 Jul 2013, 11:29 pm

I thought it was horrible - remembering the times you cut a corner training, bad sparring sessions, and imagining the worst case scenarios in your head.
But once you go through the ropes it all vanishes and the reality of it dawns on you, and you go into adrenalin-fuelled fight mode.
Then after the fight, your on cloud 9.

Boxing is ridiculously emotional, but for the right reasons!

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

The Wait Before The Fight - What does it feel like? Empty Re: The Wait Before The Fight - What does it feel like?

Post by irishbrads Sun 21 Jul 2013, 7:46 am

not so much the hour beforre the fight, more the week or so before the fight, i boxed amateur and the closer it got to the fight the more i questioned why i was doing it, especially in amateur when all you got for you efforts was a plastic trophy (a smaller plastic trophy if you lost)

Adrenaline is wonderful thing, generally i don't remember feeling hurt during or after a fight, after a fight i was literally buzzing, next day could be quite painful though if it had been a bit of a brawl when the adrenaline had worn off.  

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Sun 21 Jul 2013, 9:13 am

Nervous as hell but what a buzz! Only fought once but I loved. Was meant to be fighting again this year and had to give it up to take a job in England.

2 things I most noticed when getting into the ring were; the adrenaline pumping so hard my leg began to shake, and the heat of the ring lights above my head.

My nose bleeds very easily and it bust at the start of the 1st so walking back to my corner I took a big sigh and sprayed blood all over my cornermen and then girlfriend. They weren't happy.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Mon 22 Jul 2013, 4:56 pm

Never been so nervous before in my life but the second the bell goes all the nerves go with it really, the first bouts always the hardest, once you grow in confidence after more fights you handle the nerves better. No better feeling then winning a fight though.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down