The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My controversial Lions 3rd Tests selection

+2
jelly
Liam
6 posters

Go down

My controversial Lions 3rd Tests selection Empty My controversial Lions 3rd Tests selection

Post by Liam Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:11 pm

As a welsh man i'm probably gonna get alloy of stick for my selection of the 3rd test team to face the wallabies on saturday. I honestly believe Gatland needs to go to his Welsh contingent for this last test to give them the best chance of winning. I know welsh and winning doesn't go hand in hand down under, but the welsh boys will remember how close they came to winning a test in Oz and the thought of losing again will give them that edge going into the game. I'm not saying they'll want to win more then any Scots/English/Irish but they have different memories against Oz and the pain of the 3-0 whitewash will bring a different intensity to their game. Some people may call this garbage and they may have a point. So without further a do, here's my team:

1. Corbisero
2. Youngs
3. Jones
4. AWJ (c)
5. Evans - Superb so far, excellent for Wales in both GS and his and AWJ partnership has been superb for Wales, good understanding
6. Lydiate
7. Tipuric - Best 7 at the breakdown and in open play
8. Faletau - IMO has been unlucky to miss out to Heaslip. Played very well this tour with Heaslip pretty quiet in the opening 2 tests
9. Phillips - Poor first test but in the big matches he turns up
10. Sexton
11. North
12. Roberts - Need a big ball carrying centre and his defence will be crucial
13. JD2 - Played better than BOD, shouldn't be dropped because of BOD's name or experience
14. Cuthbert - Need to score tries, best finisher in Europe. I'd sacrafice Bowe's defensive game for Cuthbert's attacking game personally
15. 1/2p

16. Vunipola
17. Hibbard
18. Cole
19. Gray - What a player to bring on in the last 20!
20. SOB - Same as Gray, nice change in balance from Tips to him
21. Youngs
22. Farrell
23. Tuilagi - Replace Roberts and give him 20 mins to cause havoc

I'm sure many many many of you will disagree with me, but with my welsh head on, I just think its time Gatland went to his men.

Liam

Back to top Go down

My controversial Lions 3rd Tests selection Empty Re: My controversial Lions 3rd Tests selection

Post by jelly Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:32 pm

Think you may be right about "going Welsh", though I would make the following comments:-

- think he may start Hibbard to go for his most powerful options up front (not that I think Youngs deserves to be dropped as I think he's been excellent so far)
- Evans hasn't been superb so far on tour, would say he's been disappointing. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gray come in though the coaches seem to rate Parling
- Wonder if he'll change Heaslip. I think he should but not sure he will. Very hard on O'Brien if he misses out again
- Phillips didn't turn up in the first test but think you're right that he will start though doesn't deserve to, in my opinion
- Agree with you about Davies but think BOD will start as captain
- Don't think they'll drop Bowe after making so much effort to bring him back for last week, they obviously rate him

Not long to wait 'til we find out - unless Gatland delays by 24 hours.

jelly

Back to top Go down

My controversial Lions 3rd Tests selection Empty Re: My controversial Lions 3rd Tests selection

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:50 pm

You'll probably make some people quite angry with that but there's logic to it so you're fine by me. But I have some disagreements.

I'm a big Gray fan so I'd have him over Evans. Brings ball carrying, great loose play and any prospect of dominating the lineout or the scrum seems a long shot to me at this stage. I've wanted Gray starting since the first test but I seem to be in a tiny minority.

We need O'Brien's ball carrying, and you're really not sacrificing anything much to get it, because he's a fine defender and good at the breakdown. So if you want Lyd's tackling, O'Brien at 7, if you want Tips at the breakdown and in open play, then O'Brien at 6. I'd go for the latter because 6 is O'Briens best position anyway and Tips is a far more positive selection than Lyd.

Unlike the most famous 8's, Heaslip is not a flashy player. He can do the flashy things. But he doesn't. He's very unselfish. If he made one fancy run  and one big hit per game he'd be more highly rated. But he's usually at the ruck trying to win turnovers rather than plaudits. I don't really see what Faletau brings that makes up for losing the 5 time Lions test starter.

Phillips wasn't good enough, and never really has been against the southern teams. He takes it on himself to much, and not for any good reason like seeing that it's on, but because he's Mike Phillips and he thinks he can, every time. Murray's had the best tour. And it gives me no joy to call for a Munsterman to be picked for a team I support (kidding), but he deserves to start. He actually had a great game against Oz in the RWC too.

O'Driscoll is a must. He's the our best defensive organizer and best individual defender in our backline. He has a good understanding with Sexton and has great leadership experience, which is even more important with O'Connell and Warburton out. Davies has been good, but the partnership hasn't been great and I think he's played more minutes than any other Lion. Bring in Roberts or Tuilagi because we know O'Driscoll works best with a big line breaker beside him. Makes the most of his vision and passing, which are still great attacking assets. I'd go for Roberts at 12 and bring on Tuilagi for the last half hour. For either Roberts or O'Driscoll, depending on who's blowing the hardest.

I'd be happy with either Cuthbert or Bowe.

Most controversially of all, part of me wants Hogg at 15. Sexton can take the kicks. I want tries and Hogg can make them happen.

Unbiasedly Yours,

Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by logie28 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:30 pm

Are you welsh by any chance?

logie28

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:31 pm

Liam wrote:I'm sure many many many of you will disagree with me, but with my welsh head on, I just think its time Gatland went to his men.
But the problem is he is playing old England style up the jumper Rugby. We don't need a Lions coach to do that.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 03 Jul 2013, 12:22 am

Why cant we do toby at 8 SOB 7 and AWJ at 6 with evans and Gray at 5&6

i think hogg should play but its not going to happen.

Think Bowe on the wing is better.

Roberts in the center with BOD.

Saying that the welsh want to win more against Aus hasn't worked in the last seven. Insanity is doing the same think and expecting something different.  Welsh dont have the mental strenght to close out the game by themselves.

Aus know if they lose the ball they will get it back and can try again.  How many games have Wales and Ireland lost because they kicked the ball away with 5mins to go.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down