The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest guitar solo's EVER! OFFICIAL! THIS CANNOT BE QUESTIONED!

+12
kingraf
GloriousEmpire
Shot 21 LCFC
Dass
JuliusHMarx
superflyweight
Mind the windows Tino.
Rowley
Adam D
The Womble
Galted
ONETWOFOREVER
16 posters

Go down

Greatest guitar solo's EVER! OFFICIAL! THIS CANNOT BE QUESTIONED! Empty Greatest guitar solo's EVER! OFFICIAL! THIS CANNOT BE QUESTIONED!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 02 Jul 2013, 7:57 am

5) Dire Straights - Sultans of swing
4) Led Zepplin - Stairway to heavan
3) Jimi Hendrix - Along the watch tower
2) Lynard Skynard - Free bird
1) Jimi Hendrix - Nightbird.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Greatest guitar solo's EVER! OFFICIAL! THIS CANNOT BE QUESTIONED! Empty Re: Greatest guitar solo's EVER! OFFICIAL! THIS CANNOT BE QUESTIONED!

Post by Galted Tue 02 Jul 2013, 8:50 am

Afraid it can be questioned OneTwo, Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd?

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Greatest guitar solo's EVER! OFFICIAL! THIS CANNOT BE QUESTIONED! Empty Re: Greatest guitar solo's EVER! OFFICIAL! THIS CANNOT BE QUESTIONED!

Post by The Womble Tue 02 Jul 2013, 9:09 am

Indeed it can be questioned OneTwo

Layla - Derek & The Dominoes
Guns & Roses - Sweet Child O'Mine
Muse - Nights of Cydonia

To name a few. You have a good list there, I would put Free Bird on top. The full length version of that record is amazing.

The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 02 Jul 2013, 9:42 am

Don't see how Muse - Knights of Cydonia can live up to the ones already mentioned although I love that song. Another classic that I mused over is another Hendrix tune red house.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:15 am

Yeh Red House is a good tune.

I have seen Knights of Cydonia sung live so would put it up in my top 5 or 10
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:29 am

I will nominate Parisian Walkways by Gary Moore as my favourite.

Other songs/ albums/ artists worthy of mention:

Brian May for Save Me, who wants to live forever and these are the days.
Most of the guitar work on both Wish you were here and the division bell.
Most of Carlos santana work
Misplaced childhood by marillion

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:34 am

How long before Dave arrives and starts writing lots of heavy metal bands in capital letters.

Am really having to fight the resistance to list loads of John Squire solos, but having seen him live last year he is staggeringly good.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:34 am

Adam D wrote:I will nominate Parisian Walkways by Gary Moore as my favourite.

Other songs/ albums/ artists worthy of mention:

Brian May for Save Me, who wants to live forever and these are the days.
Most of the guitar work on both Wish you were here and the division bell.
Most of Carlos santana work
Misplaced childhood by marillion

Carlos Santana is such a great guitarist. Love his stuff
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:43 am

Rowley wrote:How long before Dave arrives and starts writing lots of heavy metal bands in capital letters.

I have been trying for about 6 weeks to get Dave to bite over his heavy metal FETISH, Jeff. He has so far maintained an admirable restraint.

I was never a fan of the band, but Bernard Butler was a great guitarist in his Suede days. The only real reason to listen to them.

Prince is/was a really competent player as well. Purple Rain is brilliant.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:47 am

Who made cliffs of Dover?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:53 am

Agree re Butler Tina, big fan of his. Solely sticking to Indie type guitarists Squire, Marr and Butler are all excellent. One guy who is vastly underrated is Graham Coxon from Blur, really innovative in some of the stuff he plays. Steve Craddock of Ocean Colour Scene and who plays with Weller is also excellent although a lot of OCS’s music is a little middle of the road and dull.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:00 am

Rowley wrote:Agree re Butler Tina, big fan of his. Solely sticking to Indie type guitarists Squire, Marr and Butler are all excellent. One guy who is vastly underrated is Graham Coxon from Blur, really innovative in some of the stuff he plays. Steve Craddock of Ocean Colour Scene and who plays with Weller is also excellent although a lot of OCS’s music is a little middle of the road and dull.

Yeah, good shout on Coxon. Did some amazing stuff.

On the same indie theme, do you remember Ash? Not particularly memorable, but they had this girl join them as a guitarist towards the end of their prime. Her name escapes me but she was amazing. I remember seeing her on the TV playing at some gig and she was incredible. Effortless style and really good to listen to.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:00 am

Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:03 am

Charlotte someone Tina, can't remember her surname and cannot be bothered to google her.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:03 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Rowley wrote:Agree re Butler Tina, big fan of his. Solely sticking to Indie type guitarists Squire, Marr and Butler are all excellent. One guy who is vastly underrated is Graham Coxon from Blur, really innovative in some of the stuff he plays. Steve Craddock of Ocean Colour Scene and who plays with Weller is also excellent although a lot of OCS’s music is a little middle of the road and dull.

Yeah, good shout on Coxon.  Did some amazing stuff.

On the same indie theme, do you remember Ash?  Not particularly memorable, but they had this girl join them as a guitarist towards the end of their prime.  Her name escapes me but she was amazing.  I remember seeing her on the TV playing at some gig and she was incredible.  Effortless style and really good to listen to.

Charlotte Hatherley

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:05 am

Rowley wrote:Charlotte someone Tina, can't remember her surname and cannot be bothered to google her.

Don't worry Jeff, I'm sure ONETWO will do the leg work for me.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:05 am

Thanks ONETWO.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 02 Jul 2013, 6:32 pm

Can't look past Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead. In full flight only Zappa can match him.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 02 Jul 2013, 7:31 pm

superflyweight wrote:Can't look past Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead.  

I tried to look past him but his beard kept getting in the way.

Guitar solo - Another Girl, Another Planet - The Only Ones

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 02 Jul 2013, 7:44 pm

Rolling Stones cover of Love in Vain by Robert Johnson. Either of Mick Taylor's two solos during the song but more so the second one.

Last edited by Dass on Tue 02 Jul 2013, 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 02 Jul 2013, 8:00 pm

I don't know the name of the guitarist but Black Betty by Ram Jam deserves mentioning here. Come to think of it I should have put it in my I mean THEE OFFICIAL top 5 list.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Wed 03 Jul 2013, 4:13 pm

I will agree with anything by Carlos Santana, Jimmy Hendrix and Slash.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 08 Jul 2013, 6:32 pm

Megadeath - Lucretia solo is awesome a

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 09 Jul 2013, 8:19 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:Megadeath - Lucretia solo is awesome a

Don't you mean MEGADEATH.

All heavy metal bands have to be capitals. I thought every one knew that.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:02 am

I personally just love watching RHCPs live and Frusciante just rocks out some quality solos, especially in Search and Destroy, he just gets lost in what hes doing

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 15 Jul 2013, 2:50 pm

I like Hendrix's solo in May This be Love. Very restrained but its one of those times the music just talks to you. Also loved BB Kings perfomance on Sweet Sixteen.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 20 Jul 2013, 12:05 am

It can be questioned, very easily. Sultans isn't even Knopfler's best solo or close to it, and Stairway isn't anywhere near Page's. Freebird and some Hendrix deserves to be on that list, but the lack of Santana (whom I just saw live again and at 66 is still the best guitarist I have ever seen or heard live or on record by several light years. The whole package which is very rare) is frankly an insult to the guitar.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 06 Aug 2013, 11:10 am

I'm going to put forward the solo in 'Taxman' by the Beatles. It was McCartney who played it and it's a cracker. George Harrison's solo on 'Something' is great, too. So eloquent.

My other favourite is Robby Krieger's solo on 'Moonlight Drive' by the Doors. It's wonky as hell but perfect for the song.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:29 pm

All Along The Watchtower and November Rain are favourites of mine. Also, Deep Purple - Highway Star, Last Nite and Reptilia by The Strokes, anything from Muse, and really enjoy the little solo in Queen - Play The Game.

There's some brilliant guitarists in country music too. Brad Paisley and Keith Urban are awesome.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Aug 2013, 2:26 pm

Angel of Death by SLAYER
Seasons in the Abyss by SLAYER
South of Heaven by SLAYER
Silent Scream by SLAYER
Chemical Warfare by SLAYER
Mandatory Suicide by SLAYER
Dead Skin Mask by SLAYER

Beneath the Remains by SEPULTURA (see? Other bands are available, they're just not as good as SLAYER)
Stone the Crow by DOWN
Bury Me In Smoke by DOWN
The Beginning ...at Last by BLACK LABEL SOCIETY
Hell Awaits by SLAYER (they're back)

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalMotty Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:30 am

Comfortable numbe - Pink Floyd
Master of puppets - Metallica
For the love of god - Steve Vai
surfing with the Alien - Joe Satriani
voodoo chile - Jimi Hendrix

if i was gonna pick a SLAYER track  Dave would probably be seasons in the abyss or Raining blood.
Might throw in Floods and cemetary gates Pantera :P

MetalMotty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:42 am

Can't really go wrong with SLAYER m' man. Granted, most stuff post Seasons lacks any really memorable solos (or even riffs for that matter)

Pantera's best solo? May even plump for "F*****g Hostile"

Agree with "Master..." though. Would also have "Hit the Lights" "Dyer's Eve" or "Fade to Black" As much as Metallica depress me these days (I'm a pre-black album fan myself) Kirk Hammet is still one of the finest metal guitarists out there. Guys like Chuck Schuldiner (RIP) may have the edge in technical proficiency/widdledom but Kirk never phones it in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down