The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gulbis (or anyone surprising) for the title!

+17
hawkeye
JubbaIsle
Born Slippy
Jeremy_Kyle
whocares
The Special Juan
HM Murdock
laverfan
dummy_half
Haddie-nuff
socal1976
LuvSports!
invisiblecoolers
banbrotam
lydian
Henman Bill
bogbrush
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Gulbis (or anyone surprising) for the title! - Page 3 Empty Gulbis (or anyone surprising) for the title!

Post by bogbrush Tue 28 May 2013, 8:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm bored.

Bored with the repetitive play, with the same boring names at the top and their largely media-friendly 'personalities'. Basically, the sport is boring me now. I'm even bored of Federer being at the top of the game after all this time (though he will always remain TMF of course).

Something new is needed, and where better to find it than in this prodigal prodigy; a weed smoking (allegedly) party animal with the shots and game to beat anyone on their day? He has a quarter that should hold no desperate fears for him, and a seeded semi-final opponent he knows he really should have some big advantages over.
After that, well a tough final but he has the size and power to upset Nadal (big power is his only chink on clay).

It would completely enliven the sport. Imagine the buzz, the inspiration to his peers? The sport would suddenly feel fresh again. You could say the same if Dimitrov, Janowitz or Raonic won, but I think Ernests would have even greater impact. Even Ernests would have to take himself seriously and knuckle down.

So come on Ernie, blast through a surely tired Monfils tomorrow and let's see something new.

Edit: Damn correction thing put apostrophes in his name.

Last edited by bogbrush on Wed 29 May 2013, 7:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Gulbis (or anyone surprising) for the title! - Page 3 Empty Re: Gulbis (or anyone surprising) for the title!

Post by lydian Fri 31 May 2013, 9:05 am

Exactly. I've compiled his "mentality" via quotes in a new thread. He's a character for sure but you wonder how high tennis is on his list of priorities...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Gulbis (or anyone surprising) for the title! - Page 3 Empty Re: Gulbis (or anyone surprising) for the title!

Post by Guest Fri 31 May 2013, 9:40 am

socal1976 wrote:Ernie is an interesting cat, can't help but like him. Let him have a go at the big 4, like others have mentioned it isn't like he wins anything other than Del Ray beach. But that being said, the top guys in tennis have a huge incentive to conform. Look at how Djokovic was critiqued for his humor and impersonations, look at how some criticize Federer for his highly sportsman like post loss interviews, or how Murray gets knocked for his running dialogue. These guys are basically tennis players slash corporate pitchmen, not a recipe for exciting post match interviews. That is the way of the world alas. But still Ernie is fun and one of the best interviews in sports, much better than the overgrown and nasty frat boy Andy Roddick who moved about on a tennis court like a pregnant sow.

Now I wonder why that doesn't surprise me Rolling Eyes

Ernie is a loud-mouthed buffoon who's become too used to people laughing at his (lame) jokes. He doesn't say anything interesting or even funny. Just talks crap. Basically a motor mouth. His whole thing is: 'look at me, look how funny and cool I am. I don't give a Poopie about anything. Oh I'm such a bad boy. I'd be the best tennis player in the world if I wanted but I'm too cool and badass to work hard like all the rest of you chumps'. The truth is Ernie can afford the luxury of being a wasteman because of Mummy and Daddy's millions. I bet he wouldn't last five minutes in the real world.

Roddick otoh was actually amusing, self depracating, and comes across as pretty intelligent.

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 31 May 2013, 10:18 am

Just seen this comment emanc and it echoes what I said on the quotes thread, i.e. I agree with the underlying psychology/situation.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3