The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Courtney Lawes

+3
RubyGuby
HammerofThunor
InjuredYetAgain
7 posters

Go down

Courtney Lawes Empty Courtney Lawes

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue May 28, 2013 7:09 am

Surprisingly, I can't see a thread on this so I will start one.
I was looking forward to Lawes and Gray as locks for the Lions but Lawes' injuries have affected his season too much. However, I feel sorry for the guy after watching the Aviva final. I thought his hit on Flood was fine (marginally late if you really want to be precious about it but it was Dan Coles knee that did the damage to Flood) but Cockerill's ranting and raving a la Alec Ferguson may get Lawes the same sort of reputation as has stuck to Hartley (see my comments on a different thread). To me the big difference between Lawes and Hartley is that Lawes is a hard nut but not one, like Hartley, who seems to default to subterfuge if things are going his way.
Lawes is at a crossroads and will need good man-management from Mallinder to make sure that he fulfils his obvious potential

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Courtney Lawes Empty Re: Courtney Lawes

Post by HammerofThunor Tue May 28, 2013 8:39 am

Lawes already has a reputation. Only been cited an banned once from memory. When he dropped to his knees to try and push an Argentinian into touch. Done for tackling without using his arms and coped 2 weeks.

Lawes is just over enthusiastic. Get's him injured sometimes and gives away a few marginal penalties. I don't think there's any maliciousness to him at all. Never seen him punch anyone or get nasty with anyone. Just a simply rugby player that enjoys tackling. And his best tackles aren't the big hits. He cuts down plenty of guys with covering tackles (similar to Crofts) that are much more important and impressive to me.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue May 28, 2013 9:04 am

Lawes is more naive than dirty IMO - A player who is in danger of not living up to his hype. He has all the physical attributes to be a world class player. Unfortunately I think he has the rugby and general footballing brain of a Dings Crusader thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue May 28, 2013 9:06 am

He's a big tackler but for me doesn't use his weight enough in the tight to be an international class enforcer and is too flat footed to be a 6 (see vs France in 6N). Needs to develop his lineout skills or redevelop his tight game if he is fulfil his potential.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue May 28, 2013 3:49 pm

I'm not sure Lawes is getting either good man-management from Mallinder nor is he getting the coaching to help turn the rough diamond into a real one.

I agree he is at a crossroads of sorts. He has skills to play other positions outside the second row, and has played 6 before successfully. But clearly he is a second row (just ask Lancaster). He needs to focus on lock, focus on when to tackle technically and when to use his power. He also needs to run into contact lower. I am not sure the coaching staff is helping him sufficiently. He could be a great player, not simply a good one.

On the man-management side, as a physical player he has to stay on the straight and narrow, and also present a positive image. Especially with the likes of Hartley and Clark in the squad. I don't see him getting any assistance there. This is the critical assistance many athletes need, but don't always get. He is a good guy - show it.

Lawes is a fine young man. Pleasant to talk to and bright. A little quiet, actually. He is also a local Northampton lad and it would be a terrible shame if he has to leave home to grow as a player. I do wonder where Mallinder fits into this puzzle, because it seems to me he should, but doesn't.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue May 28, 2013 7:52 pm

I think he needs to try and turn himself into a lineout man. At the moment he can't do that and isn't really a international level 'enforcer' lock.

If he could run a lineout he might make himself hard to leave out of the England team. But coupled with that for me he needs to work harder in the tight, big hits are great for youtube, but in reality just bringing the player to the floor and then getting to your feet to try and attempt a turnover is far more helpful to your team.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue May 28, 2013 8:30 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:I think he needs to try and turn himself into a lineout man. At the moment he can't do that and isn't really a international level 'enforcer' lock.

If he could run a lineout he might make himself hard to leave out of the England team. But coupled with that for me he needs to work harder in the tight, big hits are great for youtube, but in reality just bringing the player to the floor and then getting to your feet to try and attempt a turnover is far more helpful to your team.

Thing is that's what he does do. It just doesn't get highlighted by the media but it's there in most of his games.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue May 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Gotta agree Bathman, ive said for a good year plus now Lawes needs to change direction, and become a lineout technician. He is doing this, as his lineout work is improving rapidly...and if he can achieve a level of say Tom Croft then with his hard edge could be part of a great combo with Launchbury or Attwood etc etc. And he's still not that old.

But we have a number of other options coming through at lock...not to mention Charlie Matthews who has already been touted by lancs, Attwood looks back to his best, Slater playing well, Parling now a Lion.. etc.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed May 29, 2013 5:31 am

Lawes needs to make an impression soon with Slater and Attwood pushing Launchbury. Kitchener is pushing Parling domestically and soon internationally with young Matthews coming along nicely as well.

He's a phenomenal athlete but one needs that needs to learn the nuances of his position if he wants to progress.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Wed May 29, 2013 6:44 am

Sam, that's a bit surprising to me. Parking and Launchbury are good players but to my untrained Scottish eye i.e. I don't watch too much of the Jeff, Lawes is a better player now let alone his potential on top of current abilities.
It's funny how different folk see different things
As an aside, I could imagine him being a very good rugby league player

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed May 29, 2013 7:50 am

The issue with Lawes is that he doesn't run the lineout ala Parling nor get stuck in to the tight (ala both Parling and Launchbury) he's basically a backrow without sufficient agility so is playing lock. He's a big hitter. He also has pace but that's not unique when you see Slater and Kitchener running in tries from 30 odd metres out and Launchbury making massive covering tackles on outside backs.

He is a good player but a luxury that the England tight 5 can't afford. If he could learn to call the lineout and run a defensive line then he could be a major asset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-EAx9jdS-c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

That's 18 and a half stone Ed Slater he roughs it in the tight and went toe to toe with Bakkies and can't get into the England team at the moment. Competition is fierce at lock.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed May 29, 2013 7:48 pm

Sam, Ed would have travelled this summer but for his tricep injury...and i would love to see him given a game...

He is the type that we badly needed in there...him or Attwood providing that power and bulk...albeit still being athletic and pacy...

I dont think it'll be long before Kitchener overtakes Parling....

At the moment i think england need to be looking at a second row of
4 Attwood / Slater
5 Launchbury
with say Croft or Wood on the flank offering the lineout experts.

Then if Charlie Matthews cements a quins starting spot next season, him and Launchbury played in the JWC didnt they...and he's a big boy...

It will be interesting to watch.

Are the weary dark days of being an England fan begining to change a little.

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Thu May 30, 2013 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed May 29, 2013 11:20 pm

Attwood has started calling the lineout which is an excellent diversification of his skill set in terms of hos career, he's a solid jumper and can rough it in the tight so can realistically take on a lot of lock work. Croft and Wood are both great jumpers but neither run a lineout so of Attwood can offer that and serious grunt then he's putting himself in a good place for a call up.

Slater is really unlucky but didn't look fit in the final. He's had an immense second half to the season and his sub appearance for the Saxons vs Scotland in Feb was more than we've seen from a Saxons lock in a long time. Kitchener is showing a lot of form and skill on hard ground, another season working on his grit and fine tuning his lineout calling and Parling will be under a lot of pressure. Young Price is going on loan to Notts next season (as he did at the end of this) so even more lineout options will on the Tigers periphery to pressure Parling. Price is a 6 foot 9 jumping menace. Add him to Matthews and Barrow and there's some good talent emerging at lock for England.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu May 30, 2013 12:42 am

Yeah it looks very bright on the horizon, but we must be careful not to constantly be focused on the future...im guilty as much as anyone mind.

Most second rows are like props only getting to their grizzled best from late 20's and well into their 30's....so we shouldnt just keep looking for younger and younger players...

We need to focus on one group and work with them...or itll be kind of like a child in a sweet show...so many options they dont know which to choose.

Lawes, Launchbury, Attwood, Slater, Kruis, Kitchener, Matthews, Parling would hopefully provide us with every option we could need...physicality, lineout, and depth...

And thats not including the likes of Garvey, Savage (is he a 6), Myall....etc

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down