The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Never mind Rock v Cena at WM28, I want this...

+8
A Fine Folk.
AberdeenSteve
Brady12
Jammy31
Kay Fabe
Dx Dan.
User Name
ADMIN
12 posters

Go down

Never mind Rock v Cena at WM28, I want this... Empty Never mind Rock v Cena at WM28, I want this...

Post by ADMIN Fri 06 May 2011, 11:06 pm

Cm Punk just posted the following:

“@steveaustinBSR: WRESTLEMANIA 28. http://t.co/DvBoVEc” Don't duck me.

Oh please, Austin has stated he could do a couple more matches, who better than Punk?
And is this indication that he is signing a new contract?

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Never mind Rock v Cena at WM28, I want this... Empty Re: Never mind Rock v Cena at WM28, I want this...

Post by User Name Fri 06 May 2011, 11:12 pm

http://twitpic.com/4u9st7

User Name

Back to top Go down

Never mind Rock v Cena at WM28, I want this... Empty Re: Never mind Rock v Cena at WM28, I want this...

Post by Dx Dan. Sat 07 May 2011, 1:41 am

Could easily be the greatest 'Mania ever if we had:
Cena vs Rock. (NO NEED FOR IT TO BE FOR THE TITLE THOUGH!)
Punk vs Austin.
Taker's last ever match.
Two title matches, or a unification match.

Dx Dan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 07 May 2011, 10:26 am

No need for it to be for the title? Definitely don't agree, Would you rather the World Title was pushed even further down the card? I'm sick of the World Title being used to make matches seem important, the title should never take a back seat except in extreme circumstances (HBK/Taker II) and even then that match should have been for the WHC

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 07 May 2011, 10:28 am

Agree tho' Maccs I'd love to watch a feud unfold with Punk and Austin

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Sat 07 May 2011, 1:25 pm

I think that the title has lost its significance in the WWE. I mean, Sammartino held it for 8 years, and Hogan held it for 4 years. Nowadays, the WHC and WWE Championship are handed around like sweets. It was superstars like Edge that showed how important it is to them.

I do like the idea of Rock vs. Cena at WM28 for the title, but I think if Cena holds it from now until then, it will get boring.

As for Punk vs. Austin, one word - EPIC.

This is a bit of a long shot, but maybe with Zeke and Ryan breaking off from their respective stables, do you think that they could create a rivalry of some sort, to establish themselves as single superstars, which culminates in some sort of stipulated match at WM28?
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 07 May 2011, 3:07 pm

I'm not sure how to take your post Jammy, you list Bruno and Hogan as guys who made the title mean something then use Edge to say he made the title important despite losing it 10 different times, I don't think the World Title has lost its significance I just think that the WWE need to keep it fresh due to the over kill in what they promote, if anything has been lost its the WWE's ability to make a genuine top line monex making star

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sat 07 May 2011, 6:20 pm

Jammy31 wrote:I think that the title has lost its significance in the WWE. I mean, Sammartino held it for 8 years, and Hogan held it for 4 years. Nowadays, the WHC and WWE Championship are handed around like sweets. It was superstars like Edge that showed how important it is to them.

I do like the idea of Rock vs. Cena at WM28 for the title, but I think if Cena holds it from now until then, it will get boring.

As for Punk vs. Austin, one word - EPIC.

This is a bit of a long shot, but maybe with Zeke and Ryan breaking off from their respective stables, do you think that they could create a rivalry of some sort, to establish themselves as single superstars, which culminates in some sort of stipulated match at WM28?

A BIT of a long shot? That the exaggeration if the decade, who pay to watch Jackon vs Ryan?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat 07 May 2011, 6:33 pm

These guys need a chance to prove themselves. You are being far too critical.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 07 May 2011, 6:44 pm

You're right that these two do need a chance to shine but I'd also say that it will be years before either one of these guys have the potential to sell tickets, Ryan needs an untold amount of work tho' he is IMO one with potential thanks to his look

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by A Fine Folk. Sat 07 May 2011, 11:24 pm

The build up too that match would be epic too watch!

A Fine Folk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 07 May 2011, 11:42 pm

What match? Ryan/Jackson?

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by A Fine Folk. Sat 07 May 2011, 11:44 pm

No, CM Punk v Stone Cold, I didn't read the comment's, just the article.

A Fine Folk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 07 May 2011, 11:50 pm

Lol thank God for that, I didn't even think about the Punk Austin match there Doh

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by A Fine Folk. Sun 08 May 2011, 12:46 am

Haha, Ryan Jackson would be an absolute snooze of a build up. None of them should be aloud anywhere near a mic.

A Fine Folk.

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sun 08 May 2011, 11:16 am

in a word no. I don't want to see Punk lose again in another high profile feud/PPV. The writing would definitely be on the wall if Punk and Austin was confirmed. If Punk and Austin happened it would just be like another Orton repeat - Stunner to finish the match and then followed by the obligatory beer bath just to add insult to injury because Punk's straight edge. Austin may have been an all time great but this is 2011 and Austin is retired. This should be Punk's time not putting over retired guys, Austin or not.

I know Punk is good enough that he doesn't need the wins but nevertheless he deserves some high profile wins regardless of whether he is going on hiatus after his contract expires. I just think Austin's reputation and popularity would be too big for him to put over Punk.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 08 May 2011, 12:07 pm

Wrestlng fans place far to much emphasis on win/loss record, I'd rather one of my favourite guys was losing at the top of the card than going over in a nothing match

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Sun 08 May 2011, 12:17 pm

Jammy31 wrote:I think that the title has lost its significance in the WWE. I mean, Sammartino held it for 8 years, and Hogan held it for 4 years. Nowadays, the WHC and WWE Championship are handed around like sweets. It was superstars like Edge that showed how important it is to them.

You've answered your own question Jammy. You say that the title has lost its significance compared to when Sammartino and Hogan had epic reigns - then the very next sentence you say that if Cena held it for a year then it would be boring.

Personally I think it would be an immense build up if Cena remained champion for a year and then had to face Rock at the big one. The atmosphere would be immense!

As for Punk vs Austin - I would probably break my PPV-buying reluctance if this was also on the card. This would probably be my all time favourite against my current favourite. And I hazard a guess that the promos would be off the chart

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 08 May 2011, 12:50 pm

I don't think it would be to bad having Cena hold the belt until WrestleMania, with Miz, Del Rio and CM Punk to feud with as well as potentially R-Truth and Jack Swagger and possibly John Morrison and Triple H the WWE have plenty of options for Cena for a year reign

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sun 08 May 2011, 2:54 pm

I don't think the promos would be as good as people anticipate unless they break PG.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 08 May 2011, 4:06 pm

They dont need to break PG for then to have epic promos, not at all!

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sun 08 May 2011, 4:31 pm

Austin is synonymous with the Attitude era, which is completely the opposite of PG. Besides how relevant is Austin anymore? 1. He's retired 2. All his appearances are one-dimensional 3. His latest Mania return was quite underwhelming

Granted Punk and Austin could pull off an epic rivalry, it has potential but I think people are viewing this dream match through rose-tinted glasses.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 08 May 2011, 8:14 pm

How relevant is Austin? I'd say he'll always be relevant, also a dedicated, focused Austin is a completely different beast to the one that makes sporadic appearances, far from underwhelming at WrestleMania I felt it was the closest thing to a real Stone Cold we've seen since 2003 and hir appearance the next night on RAW was far superior to anything anyone else on the roster could give, Austin was cutting top promo's week in week out between 96-99 when RAW was PG

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Sun 08 May 2011, 9:52 pm

To further Gaffer's points, I also think that someone such as CM Punk would be ideal to bring out the best of Austin, to me although there's obviously the clash of gimmicks of straight edge and beer swigging (which would be the way to get the rivalry started), I do think think they're cut from the same cloth.
Promos between these two would be far more intense than anything that Rock & Cena would throw out which'd go far more down the comedy line.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sun 08 May 2011, 10:15 pm

the-gaffer wrote:How relevant is Austin? I'd say he'll always be relevant, also a dedicated, focused Austin is a completely different beast to the one that makes sporadic appearances, far from underwhelming at WrestleMania I felt it was the closest thing to a real Stone Cold we've seen since 2003 and hir appearance the next night on RAW was far superior to anything anyone else on the roster could give, Austin was cutting top promo's week in week out between 96-99 when RAW was PG

I hope if Austin did return for a feud with Punk you're right and we see him at his best but I still think Austin was underwhelming in the build up to and at Mania itself this year.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 08 May 2011, 10:18 pm

Totally agree, the content of the promos could be phenomenol

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 08 May 2011, 10:21 pm

Yeah TP I'd agree that Austin was underwhelming in the build up to WrestleMania, no arguments there but to be fair he didn't have a role that required him to be involved in the lead up

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun 08 May 2011, 10:28 pm

However underwhelming you think Austin has been since his retirement (and I agree his staredown with the Rock aside he has been) he has always struck me as a man who takes pride in his performance, an actual feud with an actual performer at the top of his game could well bring out a level in Austin that he might not feel he's needed for his usual special ref/stunner-ing jobbers fare, and I wouldn't assume that its a foregone conclusion, while he has a history of refusing to job it's more often than not what he felt was best to protect his character rather than pure spite (the Mick Foley/HHH/WWF Saga being the only that sticks in my head) so he may see more benefit in letting an acting star go over than himself

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sun 08 May 2011, 10:34 pm

I guess it would come down to the card on the night. If Austin v Punk was on the same card at Mania as Rock v Cena would Vince be happy with two current PG era stars going over two of the biggest draws in the company's history? I would say no. Now out of the two who is most likely to put the other over? Cena is the biggest cash cow in the WWE, he's the biggest draw and sells the most merchandise so it would be more understandable for the Rock to put Cena over. Punk unfortunately does not have the same fortune. 1. He's on a losing streak that shows no signs of ending 2. His straight edge gimmick is not very 'sellable' 3. He's not considered one of the 'top 5' guys in the company.

Austin is a hall of famer, one of the greatest all time performers in the WWE and the archetypal anti-hero of wrestling. I just can't see Punk going over Austin unless he cheats but even then I can't see the scenario happening if Rock puts over Cena.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by CM Punks Rehab Manager Mon 09 May 2011, 2:19 am

Punk vs Austin would be epic!

Imagine the Punkster doing a promo about the intoxicating effects of alcohol to Austin.

They teased a possible confrontation between them recently when Punk was in the ring and the glass shattered but nobody came out, I think shortly before Mania 26

CM Punks Rehab Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down